AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway  (Read 219812 times)

premier707

• Last Login: December 30, 2015, 03:51:34 AM
Re: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:05 PM »

There is a long-term plan to extend IL390 west, with an interchange at County Farm, then curve northwest to merge with Lake St/US20 at North Ave.  I'm not sure about ownership, but the ROW is clear.  Then US20 would be improved, but would supposedly remain with a few stoplights until the Bypass begins at Bluff City Blvd.  It is telling that the IDOT plan to improve the interchange at IL59 won't add stoplights to US20.

Stratuscaster

• Last Login: April 05, 2019, 11:19:30 AM
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »

...considering Cook county wants to extend Bartlett road to Oak ave...
WHICH Bartlett Road?

WEST Bartlett Road becomes Railroad Ave and meets Oak Ave in downtown Bartlett.
SOUTH Bartlett Road becomes Main St heading north to Railroad Ave, then a quick jog west to Oak Ave.
NORTH Bartlett Road ends at Lake St; a quick jog east gets you to Oak Ave.

johndoe780

• Last Login: January 30, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »

WHICH Bartlett Road?

SOUTH Bartlett Road becomes Main St heading north to Railroad Ave, then a quick jog west to Oak Ave.

Just plan ol' "Bartlett rd" which you're referring to as North Bartlett rd. I was at one of the town hall board meetings one time. I think the county is waiting on Elgin O'hare finishing westward or something.

If you look at a map. Bartlett rd currently ends at lake street. If you look south, there's literally nothing but cornfields, IDOT owns all that land. Cook county wants to extend bartlett rd south to intersect Oak ave, close to the fire station.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:47:14 PM by johndoe780 »

johndoe780

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »

There is a long-term plan to extend IL390 west, with an interchange at County Farm, then curve northwest to merge with Lake St/US20 at North Ave.  I'm not sure about ownership, but the ROW is clear.  Then US20 would be improved, but would supposedly remain with a few stoplights until the Bypass begins at Bluff City Blvd.  It is telling that the IDOT plan to improve the interchange at IL59 won't add stoplights to US20.

Oh IDOT owns a ton of land in Bartlett, I'll tell you that for sure.
The 2040 go to plan says they want to extend elgin o'hare to Bartlett Rd, not North Ave, I'm not sure how it's going to be done, but IDOT owns all the land west of Oak ave south of Lake street already. If the ROW is already clear, I'm not quite sure why ITHSA can't start the project now. With their expensive $0.20 mile toll, shouldn't be too hard to find funding  :pan:

IDOT widened lake street from Oak ave. to Park Blvd. last year and did a horrible job. Lanes still don't seem wide enough to my liking and there's no eastbound right turn lane to Oak Ave. or westbound right turn lane to Bartlett Rd.

The 59 interchange won't add a stoplight. Currently, if you're going north on 59 and try to go east on lake street, you have to take a left turn before the underpass. Since IDOT owns the land east of 59 and south of lake street, they're going to make that the new eastbound entrance. Not sure what else they're going to do with the new $9 million interchange. But they're finally going to add right turn lanes at West Bartlett road and widen Irving Park road from Schaumburg road to Bartlett road in 2 separate projects this year. About damn time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:52:52 PM by johndoe780 »

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

I took a trip out to the soon to be new 290-390 interchange, and I took some pictures. Things do seem to be progressing pretty well. Enjoy.

Here's looking west along 390 where the ramp from 290 northbound (or westbound or whatever) will link up with 390 westbound. You can also see the new ramp from 290 eastbound on the right.

This is the 290 northbound ramp. It's a bit more massive than I would have thought.

Here's the new Rohlwing Road overpass. Even now, it's kind of hard to believe there was an intersection here, and I used to use it every day.

A soon to be useless street blade.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Stratuscaster

« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »

WHICH Bartlett Road?

Just plan ol' "Bartlett rd" which you're referring to as North Bartlett rd. I was at one of the town hall board meetings one time. I think the county is waiting on Elgin O'hare finishing westward or something.

If you look at a map. Bartlett rd currently ends at lake street. If you look south, there's literally nothing but cornfields, IDOT owns all that land. Cook county wants to extend bartlett rd south to intersect Oak ave, close to the fire station.
Thanks for the clarification. No need to look at a map; I'm from the area. ;)

If I recall the original plans, the EOE was set to go through that area - north of Eastview School, I think. Where Oak & Hickory meet, Oak was to get relocated to meet up with Bartlett Road at Lake Street.

Stratuscaster

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2015, 10:55:48 PM »

Here's the IDOT Study page for US-20/IL-59:
http://www.idot.illinois.gov/projects/US-20-IL-59-Reconstruction

johndoe780

« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »

WHICH Bartlett Road?

Thanks for the clarification. No need to look at a map; I'm from the area. ;)

If I recall the original plans, the EOE was set to go through that area - north of Eastview School, I think. Where Oak & Hickory meet, Oak was to get relocated to meet up with Bartlett Road at Lake Street.

Here's the long term planning map from Bartlett.

http://www.village.bartlett.il.us/home/showdocument?id=438

You can see the Bartlett rd extension to Oak ave, Prospect ave intersecting with Lake street, and also the fair oaks rd extension from Army Trail to Gerber as well.

However, I'm confused about the EOE extension, is it separate from Lake street or is it Lake street? I really do hope ITHSA speeds this project up. I live just west of 59 and take EOE regularly and the intersection of Barrington and Lake street is a huge mess during rush hour. Bartlett's seen a huge uptick in traffic ever since Stearns rd bridge and red gate rd bridge were completed a few years ago.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:54:56 AM by johndoe780 »

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »

Last I heard, the Elgin-O'Hare will only be a surface street between the Elgin bypass and North Ave, it will not be a fully access controlled facility, with the exception of the IL-59 interchange.

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »

Last I heard, the Elgin-O'Hare will only be a surface street between the Elgin bypass and North Ave, it will not be a fully access controlled facility, with the exception of the IL-59 interchange.

They should be able to do RIRO with a few overpass on parts on US-20

Stratuscaster

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »

You can see the Bartlett rd extension to Oak ave, Prospect ave intersecting with Lake street, and also the fair oaks rd extension from Army Trail to Gerber as well.

However, I'm confused about the EOE extension, is it separate from Lake street or is it Lake street? I really do hope ITHSA speeds this project up. I live just west of 59 and take EOE regularly and the intersection of Barrington and Lake street is a huge mess during rush hour. Bartlett's seen a huge uptick in traffic ever since Stearns rd bridge and red gate rd bridge were completed a few years ago.
Thanks for the map. Interesting - I hadn't seen the plan for Prospect Ave meeting up with Park Ave in Streamwood.

Looks like the proposed EOE would effectively replace Lake Street from between Park Ave and North Ave west - presumably to link up with the US-20 Elgin Bypass. That's a lot of private property to buy in that corridor. More so west of IL-59 - like at Naperville/Elizabeth where the new Elgin Toyota is going in.

If the plan is to "parkway" that section instead of full expressway, it'll still be backed up.

Barrington Rd from Lake Street north to I-90 is a huge mess, for what that's worth - and always has been.

johndoe780

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2015, 06:24:16 PM »

Thanks for the map. Interesting - I hadn't seen the plan for Prospect Ave meeting up with Park Ave in Streamwood.

Looks like the proposed EOE would effectively replace Lake Street from between Park Ave and North Ave west - presumably to link up with the US-20 Elgin Bypass. That's a lot of private property to buy in that corridor. More so west of IL-59 - like at Naperville/Elizabeth where the new Elgin Toyota is going in.

If the plan is to "parkway" that section instead of full expressway, it'll still be backed up.

Barrington Rd from Lake Street north to I-90 is a huge mess, for what that's worth - and always has been.

If they had made Barrington road from Lake to I-90 6 lanes like what they were planning on doing so many years ago, maybe it wouldn't be such a mess. Too many angry NIMBYs when they were planning it.They finally fixed Barrington and Schaumburg road by adding dual left hand turn lanes, and IDOT is planning on doing it to Irving Park and Barrington road this year.

dietermoreno

• Last Login: February 05, 2016, 07:13:38 PM
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

The future is here.  I predicted this would happen.  You can now opt in as a beta tester to pay tollway tolls with an Android or Apple smart phone GPS tracking app instead of paying online.  Details have not been released by the tollway yet such as if cash plazas will be torn down and replaced with smart phone toll lanes or if smart phone tolls will pay the same as iPass pays or if smart phone tolls will be implimented on the Elgin O'hare Expressway and the Rt 53 extension, if it is ever built.

I think this is a privacy concern though.  I see this as a way for an NSA backdoor into GPS tracking of all citizens once smart phone tracking is mandatory of all tollway driving citizens once iPass stops being used for tolls like paper cash is on its way out for tolls.  Only blackberry is secure from NSA backdoors to GPS tracking, and the tollway hasn't even developed a blackberry app yet or said if they ever will develop a blackberry app.

Would you pay tolls with a smart phone possibly starting next year on the Elgin-O'hare (which is not planned to accept cash) even at the risk of an NSA backdoor?  I would rather use local roads over leaving an NSA backdoor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tollway-apps-met-20141218-story.html

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »

Ok now add tolling points to each ramp or make the other ones like the EOE with meany tolling points on the main line. Or keep the cash ramps and booths and add more tolling points like how the EOE is setup and do some kind of virtual ticket system.

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »

The future is here.  I predicted this would happen.  You can now opt in as a beta tester to pay tollway tolls with an Android or Apple smart phone GPS tracking app instead of paying online.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tollway-apps-met-20141218-story.html

They've had a test gantry with all the sensors on I-294 North at Touhy Ave since the holidays
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I realize how pointless this project is right now. This project really won't be necessary until the Western Terminal is built at O'Hare (which who knows when that will happen). Plus, they are only build the extension and the west bypass with four lanes (two in each direction), so this will become congested very quickly. I agree it should be built, but not now.

When planning Move Illinois, ISTHA should have focused on building the Route 53 extension (which is way more necessary) and reconstructing the I-90/I-290/IL-53 interchange instead of building the EOWA, in addition to the other projects (such as the I-294/57 interchange and rebuilding and widening the Jane Addams Tollway)

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:21 PM »

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I realize how pointless this project is right now. This project really won't be necessary until the Western Terminal is built at O'Hare (which who knows when that will happen). Plus, they are only build the extension and the west bypass with four lanes (two in each direction), so this will become congested very quickly. I agree it should be built, but not now.

When planning Move Illinois, ISTHA should have focused on building the Route 53 extension (which is way more necessary) and reconstructing the I-90/I-290/IL-53 interchange instead of building the EOWA, in addition to the other projects (such as the I-294/57 interchange and rebuilding and widening the Jane Addams Tollway)
With O'Hare being one of the largest airports in the world, building a four-lane highway simply won't do; I would've gone for six instead. And I'm suspecting that the western bypass will actually use the IL 490 designation instead of I-490 (especially if IL 390 is extended there).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »

With O'Hare being one of the largest airports in the world, building a four-lane highway simply won't do; I would've gone for six instead. And I'm suspecting that the western bypass will actually use the IL 490 designation instead of I-490 (especially if IL 390 is extended there).

Well without the Western Terminal (airlines don't' want it) Westen bypass is more of a long ramp for I-90 to I-294 with a few local exits and EOE link 2 + Aux each way may be fine to start and can go to get 3+aux or 4 each way when needed.

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »

Well without the Western Terminal (airlines don't' want it) Westen bypass is more of a long ramp for I-90 to I-294 with a few local exits and EOE link 2 + Aux each way may be fine to start and can go to get 3+aux or 4 each way when needed.

Honestly,  based on Illinois' History with this sort of thing, I find it rather refreshing that there is some sort of planning ahead for once. The fact is, it IS much cheaper now to build a tollway that can be upgraded in the future than to wait and build something from scratch way past when it's needed... Hence what we have with the IL 53 Extension.

hobsini2

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:43:32 PM
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »

I disagree I-39. As someone who regularly drives in that area by O'Hare, I can tell you that Thorndale Ave is just as busy as Irving Park Rd (Route 19) and Higgins Rd (Route 72). People use Thorndale because Irving is so bad and narrows to 2 lanes in Itasca. The east extension of the EOE with or without the west terminal is vital.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

billtm

• Last Login: August 20, 2023, 10:44:54 PM
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »

Has it ever been considered that along with the highway around the airport, there would be a tunnel from the intersection of Thorndale and York to I-190. :hmmm:

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »

Has it ever been considered that along with the highway around the airport, there would be a tunnel from the intersection of Thorndale and York to I-190. :hmmm:

As much as I love this idea (and actually from looking at map, it would geographically make sense), this is probably a pipe dream at best. Though, I noticed how there was a tollway built through the middle the DFW Airport in Dallas with some small tunnels, and it is nice to have that option to cut through there to save time, albeit at a cost. Honestly, even if they had to charge an exorbitant toll, people would likely use it here. I get the feeling too many factors at work that would prevent this though.

mgk920

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:22:41 PM
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2015, 12:27:33 AM »

As much as I love this idea (and actually from looking at map, it would geographically make sense), this is probably a pipe dream at best. Though, I noticed how there was a tollway built through the middle the DFW Airport in Dallas with some small tunnels, and it is nice to have that option to cut through there to save time, albeit at a cost. Honestly, even if they had to charge an exorbitant toll, people would likely use it here. I get the feeling too many factors at work that would prevent this though.

There are 'middle-burner' proposals to extend the CTA Blue Line that way to at least the Woodfield area and there is provision for such an extension in the line's O'Hare terminal.

Mike

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »

There are 'middle-burner' proposals to extend the CTA Blue Line that way to at least the Woodfield area and there is provision for such an extension in the line's O'Hare terminal.

Mike

DFW airport uses the toll gates as parking pay system as well.

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »

Mike

The Elgin O'Hare is supposed to be built - rebuilt for the existing sections - with provisions for a future transit line down the middle as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.