News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjrush

1/2 cent sales tax accelerated many projects in Ark that were sitting on a shelf waiting for money
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 06, 2015, 08:01:41 AM
1/2 cent sales tax accelerated many projects in Ark that were sitting on a shelf waiting for money

But several have also been out on the back burner, such as paving AR 220 north of Lee Creek
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Quote from: M86 on February 02, 2015, 02:04:02 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 01, 2015, 02:52:07 PM
I did a research paper 7 years ago for a Transportation/Logistics class that I had at the Univ. of Arkansas in how building Interstate 49 would benefit the Walmart, JB Hunt and Tyson Corporations and my teacher (Don Betchel) thought I was crazy...I mentioned that Upgrades were going to be needed to I-540 (Making it 8 lanes through from Fayetteville-Rogers with interstate lighting) to make it work, especially for Razorback game-day traffic. Not to mention those small towns from Ft Smith to Texarkana would benefit from having truck stops. It would boost their local revenues

https://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/statewide_planning/Studies/1-11-105%20I-540%20Improvement%20Study.pdf

That's the Improvement Study from 2006.  And you were totally right.

I'm trying to get AHTD to change their roadway lighting policy, because it is antiquated and puts public safety at risk!

The city of Conway seems to be taking advantage of our lighting policy:

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2015-02-05/replacing-i-40-lights-led-18m-project#.VNT6VmB0zDc

I-40 from Conway to North Little Rock is in the process of being widened from two lanes to three. Most of this work has been completed and is open to traffic in the Conway area.

Similarly, we are in the process of widening I-49 in Northwest Arkansas to three lanes. Perhaps communities up and down that corridor will follow Conway's lead...

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

robbones

Quote from: AHTD on February 06, 2015, 12:50:33 PM
Quote from: M86 on February 02, 2015, 02:04:02 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 01, 2015, 02:52:07 PM
I did a research paper 7 years ago for a Transportation/Logistics class that I had at the Univ. of Arkansas in how building Interstate 49 would benefit the Walmart, JB Hunt and Tyson Corporations and my teacher (Don Betchel) thought I was crazy...I mentioned that Upgrades were going to be needed to I-540 (Making it 8 lanes through from Fayetteville-Rogers with interstate lighting) to make it work, especially for Razorback game-day traffic. Not to mention those small towns from Ft Smith to Texarkana would benefit from having truck stops. It would boost their local revenues

https://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/statewide_planning/Studies/1-11-105%20I-540%20Improvement%20Study.pdf

That's the Improvement Study from 2006.  And you were totally right.

I'm trying to get AHTD to change their roadway lighting policy, because it is antiquated and puts public safety at risk!

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2015-02-05/replacing-i-40-lights-led-18m-project#.VNT6VmB0zDc

I-40 from Conway to North Little Rock is in the process of being widened from two lanes to three. Most of this work has been completed and is open to traffic in the Conway area.

Similarly, we are in the process of widening I-49 in Northwest Arkansas to three lanes. Perhaps communities up and down that corridor will follow Conway's lead...

Look who came out of hibernation

US71

From what I saw a couple weeks ago, it's all but finished WB but there are a couple sections EB to finish.

Now we just have to get people trained that the Left lane is the fast lane ;)

bugo

Quote from: US71 on February 07, 2015, 09:27:10 PM

From what I saw a couple weeks ago, it's all but finished WB but there are a couple sections EB to finish.

The left lane is not the "fast" lane. It's a passing lane, and as soon as you're done passing get the fuck over.

US71

Quote from: bugo on February 07, 2015, 09:31:28 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 07, 2015, 09:27:10 PM

The left lane is not the "fast" lane. It's a passing lane, and as soon as you're done passing get the fuck over.
You should come down and drive it.

M86

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 05, 2015, 07:54:50 AM
I didn't realize that so much of I-49 through NWA actually had a timetable for being widened, which i assume means that funding is available to make it happen. I thought it was just going to be peace-meal stuff around Fayetteville.

Yep... The voters approved the CAP program.  http://www.connectingarkansasprogram.com/corridors/5/i-49-washington-benton-county/#.VOLhPB_F_1E

It's just adding another lane to I-49 between the Central Ave exit in Bentonville and the MLK Jr Blvd exit in Fayetteville.  As soon as they finish that, it's time to add another lane.

M86

AHTD's lighting policy of not installing it, unless a local municipality requests it?  I've tried to talk to Bentonville, Rogers, Lowell, Springdale, and Fayetteville... All municipalities along I-49 in NWA.  We even had a news station ask about it.
It doesn't make any sense for a local municipality to plan and install lighting along an Interstate.  It just doesn't.  It needs to be a state thing.  I cannot think of any DOT in this country that is like that.

If AHTD is serious about their Towards Zero Deaths campaign, this antiquated policy needs to be fixed.  If not, then the Towards Zero Deaths campaign is just fluff.

bjrush

Looked thru the plans for the Lowell exit today. That will become a pretty busy exit in the next 10 years I would bet

Can't wait for the 6-lanes to be finished. It is so nice thru there
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on February 18, 2015, 06:03:46 PM
Looked thru the plans for the Lowell exit today. That will become a pretty busy exit in the next 10 years I would bet

The Lowell exit is already a busy interchange at rush hour, if you're not familiar with it.  Can you post the plans for that interchange?
And, I have had so many "near-misses" where I-49 goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes between Monroe and Wagon Wheel Road.  I know AHTD planned that widening to coordinate with the Springdale US 412 Bypass. 

US71

Quote from: NE2 on February 04, 2015, 10:32:00 PM
Interesting fact that I recently relearned: US 71's original route followed 72 and 59 through Hiwasse and Gravette.

Close:

Original 71 (1926) followed current AR 102 to Centerton, north on Bus 102, THEN along current 72 and 59.

It was changed later (1930?) to follow Central Ave (modern 72) out of Bentonville.

NE2

Quote from: US71 on February 19, 2015, 10:40:14 AM
Original 71 (1926) followed current AR 102 to Centerton, north on Bus 102, THEN along current 72 and 59.

It was changed later (1930?) to follow Central Ave (modern 72) out of Bentonville.
I don't think so. The 1926 official (and all later) clearly shows it going straight west from Rogers and then north to Bentonville, with the railroad on the direct diagonal. The 1925 (revised 1935) county map shows no erasures here. Now it did use A Street (later US 71C) right into downtown Bentonville, and there are other potential old alignments.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on February 19, 2015, 10:56:01 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 19, 2015, 10:40:14 AM

I don't think so. The 1926 official (and all later) clearly shows it going straight west from Rogers and then north to Bentonville, with the railroad on the direct diagonal. The 1925 (revised 1935) county map shows no erasures here. Now it did use A Street (later US 71C) right into downtown Bentonville, and there are other potential old alignments.
Yes, I know about A Street.

I will have to check my files, which are currently buried unless our friends at AHTD can enlighten us.

bjrush

Quote from: M86 on February 19, 2015, 12:44:39 AM

The Lowell exit is already a busy interchange at rush hour, if you're not familiar with it.  Can you post the plans for that interchange?
And, I have had so many "near-misses" where I-49 goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes between Monroe and Wagon Wheel Road.  I know AHTD planned that widening to coordinate with the Springdale US 412 Bypass.

All plans for current projects are available on AHTDs website
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Are you talking about arkansashighways.com or iDriveArkansas.com?
I want to see actual plans, not just a description... an engineering schematic, if you will.

M86

AHTD, if you can answer this...

Can you tell me what will happen with the Walnut/Walton interchange (Exit 85 on I-49)?  I know a SPUI was considered.

What are the plans for Exit 86?  It's apparent that this interchanges' traffic signals are based on a timer.  It's awful... and hands down one of the most congested interchanges in NWA.

bjrush

Quote from: M86 on February 19, 2015, 11:33:43 PM
I want to see actual plans, not just a description... an engineering schematic, if you will.

Currently bid projects are here

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/General/construction_plans_include.aspx

currently out for bid are here

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/General/JOBS_include.aspx

There are more plans there than you can shake a stick at. Literally thousands of pages...everything going on anywhere in Arkansas
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on February 20, 2015, 05:31:59 PM
Quote from: M86 on February 19, 2015, 11:33:43 PM

Currently bid projects are here

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/General/construction_plans_include.aspx

currently out for bid are here

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/General/JOBS_include.aspx

There are more plans there than you can shake a stick at. Literally thousands of pages...everything going on anywhere in Arkansas

First of all, thank you for those links.  I love it.  This is the problem with AHTD's website... It's so unorganized!
The average citizen wants to know the basics of a project...

For me, I just want to know about the plans for Exit 86 on I-49 in NWA.  I want to go to AHTD's website and see the plans.

Anthony_JK

Sure wish LADOTD's website was as "unorganized" as AHTD's. You have to hire Indiana Jones to locate a construction/engineering plan there.

Gordon

Here is a post about a 2015 highway bill, maybe congress can get there act together and pass a good one. We need one to help Ar. LA, and Mo. get more jobs going to finish I 49.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/01/28/roy-blunt-highway-funding-congress/22479423/

M86

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 21, 2015, 04:52:36 AM
Sure wish LADOTD's website was as "unorganized" as AHTD's. You have to hire Indiana Jones to locate a construction/engineering plan there.
LaDOTD's website is miles ahead of AHTD's website.  LaDOT has a Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. 

Edit: AHTD has a Twitter!

NE2

Quote from: M86 on February 25, 2015, 02:05:33 AM
LaDOTD's website is miles ahead of AHTD's website.  LaDOT has a Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. 
What does their presence on other websites have to do with their own website?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Quote from: M86 on February 25, 2015, 02:05:33 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 21, 2015, 04:52:36 AM

Edit: AHTD has a Twitter!

I know all about LADOTD's Facebook, Twitter and YT pages...my problem is with their website, and the lack of any real access to any general construction plan or study.

cenlaroads

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 25, 2015, 12:29:23 PM

I know all about LADOTD's Facebook, Twitter and YT pages...my problem is with their website, and the lack of any real access to any general construction plan or study.

Agreed.  You can barely find information even about current construction, unless it is a major project with its own page.  Do you remember the map you could click on to see current construction by parish?  I emailed DOTD to ask what had happened to it, and they said that they were deciding how best to "rebuild" that page and would probably have IT write a new software application.  This was over 3 months ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.