News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Quote from: rte66man on January 20, 2018, 09:17:53 PM
Also, I wasn't aware 67 ran anywhere near Oklahoma
69, probably
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

O Tamandua

Quote from: rte66man on January 19, 2018, 07:00:28 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on January 19, 2018, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: bjrush on January 07, 2018, 11:28:35 AM
I think the migration from Texas to NWA is overstated. So I looked at the most recently available Metro to Metro migration data from the US Census Bureau.

26.9% - rural, nonmetro areas in the US (admittedly not very helpful, but I would imagine the primary state here is Arkansas)
7%- Little Rock metro
7%- Asia
4.8%- DFW
4.4%- Fort Smith metro
3%- Tulsa
2.3%- Central America
2.14%- Kansas City
2.13%- Joplin
2%- Los Angeles

All one has to do is look at the incoming freshmen classes at the U of A to see the Metroplex impact on NWA. Last year the Uof A admitted a record amount of Arkansas kids , yet were outnumbered by Metroplex kids. Couple that with amount of alumni that head to the Metroplex to work/live and there's some numbers that kinda get lost in the shuffle. Hit I-49 from Alma to Fayetteville on a Sun night after a break and get back with me on the amount of Texas tags that you saw. These folks already have toll tags, make two turnpikes between Ft. Skith and Ashdown and one between Mena and Texarkana and hit them twice and join in with OK and North Tx. Keep the immedate Mena area free for locals communting. Everyone I know would gladly pay. They hate the McAlister to Durant segment in Okie. Okie is stupid for not having done it yet.

It's because college kids aren't migrating (permanently moving) to NWA. If they stay there after graduation, then they should be counted.

I believe the Rural migrators are mainly from eastern OK where there is a lack of good job opportunities.

There isn't enough room on this page to refute your comment that "OK is stupid for not doing this".  BTW, Okie is considered an insult in some areas.  They don't like the word as it usually is tied back to poor whites who moved to California in the Dust Bowl days and they don't want to be reminded of it.  Think "The Grapes of Wrath".

7%- Asia (Wow, on its own.)

If anything, there are a lot of kids who move (often from the Metroplex) BACK to Northwest Arkansas.  I'd be curious to see statistics on how many NWA HS graduates either stay or return to the area after graduation today vs. as recently as 30-35 years ago.

And NWA is still going to be squarely, geographically in the middle of the hourglass-shaped corridor between Winnipeg/Minneapolis-St.Paul/Houston/New Orleans some day, even though we really have no clue as to the full effect of that (but can make some partially-educated guesses).

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: O Tamandua on January 27, 2018, 06:11:14 PM
Quote from: rte66man on January 19, 2018, 07:00:28 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on January 19, 2018, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: bjrush on January 07, 2018, 11:28:35 AM
I think the migration from Texas to NWA is overstated. So I looked at the most recently available Metro to Metro migration data from the US Census Bureau.

26.9% - rural, nonmetro areas in the US (admittedly not very helpful, but I would imagine the primary state here is Arkansas)
7%- Little Rock metro
7%- Asia
4.8%- DFW
4.4%- Fort Smith metro
3%- Tulsa
2.3%- Central America
2.14%- Kansas City
2.13%- Joplin
2%- Los Angeles

All one has to do is look at the incoming freshmen classes at the U of A to see the Metroplex impact on NWA. Last year the Uof A admitted a record amount of Arkansas kids , yet were outnumbered by Metroplex kids. Couple that with amount of alumni that head to the Metroplex to work/live and there's some numbers that kinda get lost in the shuffle. Hit I-49 from Alma to Fayetteville on a Sun night after a break and get back with me on the amount of Texas tags that you saw. These folks already have toll tags, make two turnpikes between Ft. Skith and Ashdown and one between Mena and Texarkana and hit them twice and join in with OK and North Tx. Keep the immedate Mena area free for locals communting. Everyone I know would gladly pay. They hate the McAlister to Durant segment in Okie. Okie is stupid for not having done it yet.

It's because college kids aren't migrating (permanently moving) to NWA. If they stay there after graduation, then they should be counted.

I believe the Rural migrators are mainly from eastern OK where there is a lack of good job opportunities.

There isn't enough room on this page to refute your comment that "OK is stupid for not doing this".  BTW, Okie is considered an insult in some areas.  They don't like the word as it usually is tied back to poor whites who moved to California in the Dust Bowl days and they don't want to be reminded of it.  Think "The Grapes of Wrath".

7%- Asia (Wow, on its own.)

If anything, there are a lot of kids who move (often from the Metroplex) BACK to Northwest Arkansas.  I'd be curious to see statistics on how many NWA HS graduates either stay or return to the area after graduation today vs. as recently as 30-35 years ago.

And NWA is still going to be squarely, geographically in the middle of the hourglass-shaped corridor between Winnipeg/Minneapolis-St.Paul/Houston/New Orleans some day, even though we really have no clue as to the full effect of that (but can make some partially-educated guesses).

God help us if this figure is correct. 90,000 housing units in 3 to 5 years? At 3 people per unit, that's 270,000 people on top of the current 550,000. I've been told by a realtor it's increased from 30 to 40 new residents a day in the last year.

https://talkbusiness.net/2018/01/growth-to-continue-during-2018-in-northwest-arkansas-state-human-and-financial-capital-key-to-long-term-growth/

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Any bets on what city is going to take Fort Smith's place as '2nd Largest'? I am just surprised people aren't moving out of FS.

Current Pop: 88,133
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 30, 2018, 11:03:30 AM
Any bets on what city is going to take Fort Smith's place as '2nd Largest'? I am just surprised people aren't moving out of FS.

They will be soon with Sears, Staples, and Toy R US leaving town, and Sparks Hospitla laying off a lot of staff so they can build new clinics. Don't forget the failed sports complex (that the city will probably not get their money back on because the money went to "charity") and the high water bills because the city waited 10 years to upgrade the sewers and only did so because they were ordered to. Plus Walmart eliminating most of their cashier positions.  But then, we have lots of new minimum wage fast food jobs.

I'm thinking Bentonville or Jonesboro will take over.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

I'd be shocked if Fayetteville or  Springdale hasn't already. Let's not forget that area immediately outside of Ft. SMitch jas grown, like Greenwood. I'd look at the MSA numbers over the city population.

Speaking of MSA's, let's just say that NWA only gets half of that projection that I posted and added around 150,000 over the next 5 years, that puts NWA at 675,000 in 2022.

Current sizes of our neighbors:

Tulsa's MSA is 981,000, CSA 1,151,000

LittleRock/Conway MSA 724,385

Ft. Smith MSA  290,000

It's looking like NWA is quickly running down Little Rock and if that 90,000 figure plays out, equals or surpasses Little Rock in 5 years and is knocking on Tulsa's door in 10 years. I said all along they should have 8 laned I-49 while they were at it. If they 4 lanes US412 all the way to Harrison and opened up a nice corridor between here and Springfield, I imagine that area would fill in as well.

If they ever made Ft Smith and NWA MSA's into a CSA, It catches Tulsa as quick as Little Rock.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on January 30, 2018, 11:58:32 AM

I'd be shocked if Fayetteville or  Springdale hasn't already. Let's not forget that area immediately outside of Ft. SMitch jas grown, like Greenwood. I'd look at the MSA numbers over the city population.

Speaking of MSA's, let's just say that NWA only gets half of that projection that I posted and added around 150,000 over the next 5 years, that puts NWA at 675,000 in 2022.

Current sizes of our neighbors:

Tulsa's MSA is 981,000, CSA 1,151,000

LittleRock/Conway MSA 724,385

Ft. Smith MSA  290,000

It's looking like NWA is quickly running down Little Rock and if that 90,000 figure plays out, equals or surpasses Little Rock in 5 years and is knocking on Tulsa's door in 10 years. I said all along they should have 8 laned I-49 while they were at it. If they 4 lanes US412 all the way to Harrison and opened up a nice corridor between here and Springfield, I imagine that area would fill in as well.

If they ever made Ft Smith and NWA MSA's into a CSA, It catches Tulsa as quick as Little Rock.
Let's not talk about Greenwood's fail on granting a liquor license...

So, you're saying the MSA's where it's at? Not the city population? I am interested in seeing how significant the decline (or drop) will be -- free fall rates?

US71

Fayettenam is 83K to Ft Smith's 88K, so looks like that's where growth will be.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Also does that number for Little Rock's MSA include NLR? Kind of a nitpick, I know, but I just want to make sure that that number isn't beginning "short changed".

Oh and check this comparison out!

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 30, 2018, 03:26:50 PM
Also does that number for Little Rock's MSA include NLR? Kind of a nitpick, I know, but I just want to make sure that that number isn't beginning "short changed".

Oh and check this comparison out!

Arkoma and Pocola are in Oklahoma, but are considered part of Fort Smith "Metro", so this page probably isn't good to prove your point

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Oh, I was searching for some general data. I can try to get some from the Census Bureau.

Also, the page in question allows for comparison of MSAs

Fort Smith, AR-OK Metro Area

iPhone

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on January 30, 2018, 03:01:18 PM
Fayettenam is 83K to Ft Smith's 88K, so looks like that's where growth will be.

Fayetteville proper, like Fort Smith to a large extent, is landlocked and limited in much further growth. Springdale should pass both in a few years. But I don't see any one city catching Little Rock anytime soon.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Little Rock will slow down eventually. Plus we are wagering on the "˜2nd Largest', not which one will beat Little Rock. But, I agree, in regards to the NWA region – it is booming! With the way I-49 is going we may have another big interchange project on our hands.

iPhone

Gordon

I hope ArTOD makes the engineering for the I 49 bridge project at Fort Smith a priority. I think it will help that area enhance more companies to locate. Maybe if they ever get the Infra structure bill passed it may get some help . 

Interstate 69 Fan

I'm betting that It'll take a LONG time for I-49 to get completed between Ft. Smith & Texarkana, so any population rise would have to be from MO.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Bobby5280

The sooner they get the I-49 segment built between Alma and Barling (including the Arkansas river bridge) the more it will allow Fort Smith to at least have some chance at sharing a little of the growth going on in NWA.

I-49 completed through the Fort Chaffee area would open a good amount of area for new development, especially if the highway can start getting extended South past its current terminus. Fort Smith has a few decent looking areas. Garrison Ave in the downtown district looks alright. But then there's a bunch of other areas, including commercial zones like North 10th Street and Towson Ave which look really run down and cluttered with junk. And I thought certain parts of Lawton looked bad. Those zones look particularly horrible compared to the bustling commercial districts in Springdale and Rogers. New areas of business in the Fort Smith area along the I-49 corridor could eliminate some of the eye-sore crap in other parts of the city over the long term. New businesses and at least some existing businesses could relocate to these new commercial areas and then open up the possibility for the old properties to be revitalized or converted into residential space, green space, etc.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 31, 2018, 12:41:17 PM
The sooner they get the I-49 segment built between Alma and Barling (including the Arkansas river bridge) the more it will allow Fort Smith to at least have some chance at sharing a little of the growth going on in NWA.

I-49 completed through the Fort Chaffee area would open a good amount of area for new development, especially if the highway can start getting extended South past its current terminus. Fort Smith has a few decent looking areas. Garrison Ave in the downtown district looks alright. But then there's a bunch of other areas, including commercial zones like North 10th Street and Towson Ave which look really run down and cluttered with junk. And I thought certain parts of Lawton looked bad. Those zones look particularly horrible compared to the bustling commercial districts in Springdale and Rogers. New areas of business in the Fort Smith area along the I-49 corridor could eliminate some of the eye-sore crap in other parts of the city over the long term. New businesses and at least some existing businesses could relocate to these new commercial areas and then open up the possibility for the old properties to be revitalized or converted into residential space, green space, etc.
Don't forget Grand Ave! That is another getto of FS...

I feel exactly as if the city has left behind the eastern part of town in favor for the development over in the Chaffee Crossing area. Garrison Av could be better than it is. They have been building lofts on the Avenue, but it's quite loud at night, so I think that will be a failed venture...

iPhone

O Tamandua

(Talk Business) Northwest Arkansas waits for federal money for I-49 project supported by officials in 3 states: https://talkbusiness.net/2018/01/northwest-arkansas-waits-for-federal-money-for-i-49-project-supported-by-officials-in-3-states/

bjrush

Fort Smith is the most dysfunctional city in Arkansas. None of these lofty development or redevelopment plans will be coming to fruition.

I-49 through the area is for the benefit of pass through travelers, not for every local to shave 2 minutes off their commute, or for "economic development" of a new strip mall in rural Sebastian County. If that's the goal, divide $500 million cost of the bridge over the 100,000 people living there and mail them a check, contingent upon they remain in the area for 20 years. That would be more effective economic development of Fort Smith than steel and concrete. But that's not the goal.

It's about lowering costs of goods from KC and points north to the Port of New Orleans. That's why it may be subject to federal funds. Because it is a highway of national importance. The further away from this message Arkansas officials get, the more provincial and petty our applications begging for funds will seem to the feds.
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 04, 2018, 09:45:58 AM
Fort Smith is the most dysfunctional city in Arkansas. None of these lofty development or redevelopment plans will be coming to fruition.

Or darn close. The city ignored sewer problems for over 10 years until the Feds stepped in. Now our water bills have gone way up to pay for repairs.

Recycling was dumped in the landfill for almost 2 years because the price went up.

Whirlpool left town after our congressmen gave them a tax break to move to Mexico, leaving behind a polluted stream.

Toys R Us is closing, Sears has closed, K-Mart closed 9 years ago, Staples left town last Fall. Trane is reported to be leaving, as well.

But we have lots of fast food moving in and "shop & robs" ... and a few Indian/Thai restaurants.

Former Mayor Ray Baker used to say "Life's worth living in Ft Smith", but it's not anymore and Mayor Baker has gone to the "great beyond".  It wasn't like this when I moved here 10 years ago, but it is progressively going more and more down the toilet.

-end rant-

Arkansastravelguy

They couldn't pay me to live or work in Ft Smith. I'll stay in Fayetteville, thank you.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on February 05, 2018, 10:37:00 PM
They couldn't pay me to live or work in Ft Smith. I'll stay in Fayetteville, thank you.

I shouldn't have left, but my "friends" were in Ft Smith who were suddenly "too busy" after I moved here.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2018, 11:10:23 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on February 05, 2018, 10:37:00 PM

I shouldn't have left, but my "friends" were in Ft Smith who were suddenly "too busy" after I moved here.
YOu should move back... Leave them wondering why you left! :) :-D

chays

Quote from: US71 on December 21, 2017, 10:00:03 PM
The rebuild at I-49 and AR 112 appears to almost be finished. Road crews were paving the new Exit 67 A-B ramps off SB 49 today.

67A replaces exit 66 and will be AR 112/ Garland Ave

67B is US 71 B/ Fulbright Expressway.

It's going to be a clusterf*ck until people are used to it.

Traffic turning onto NB 49 from NB 112 now have a separate ramp apart from the mainline 49 that will split into I-49 and 71B.
Mainline 49 will have it's own exit to 71B and the ramps will merge, as will the ramps for NB 49, which will also merge with traffic entering from 71B.

SB 49 will no longer have a direct exit to AR 112, but a separate lane of traffic. 

And remember: there is never enough time or money to do the job right the first time, but plenty of time and money to go back and fix things ;)
Apologies for dredging this old post up, but do you have an independent source for the exit number change information?

seicer

It was built fine the way it was - decades ago. It looks like on earlier USGS topos that it was two-lanes with a mix of interchanges and intersections - of course, being modified as the area grew and connections were made to the south and north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.