News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

RIP Gord Downie (of the Tragically Hip)

Started by 7/8, October 18, 2017, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

I know the Tragically Hip didn't make much of an impact south of the border, so many of you might not know who I'm talking about, but Gord Downie was the lead singer of a big Canadian band and he died today from brain cancer: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906. It's certainly big news in Canada. My brother said every station was playing Hip songs; I brought a Rush CD (Permanent Waves) in the car today, so I didn't even hear the news until dinner.

I actually brought their greatest hit CD "Yer Favourites" on the way to work yesterday. I didn't know much about them until their big concert in August 2016, but since then, I started listening to their music and I realized how many hits they have. It's sad to see such an iconic musician go, and not longer after Tom Petty (another favourite artist of mine).

On a lighter note, my Mom kept referring to him as Gord Downie Jr, accidently combining Gord Downie and Robert Downey Jr :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.