News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Synergy?

Started by roadman65, May 21, 2019, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Has Exxon or Mobil yet introduced whatever Synergy is in your area?  I noticed the ad for it at the pump is a red curved thing over the pump.  Do not ask me what that is to be about but I am guessing its something like Techron that Chevron uses.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Isn't "synergy" how Pootchie happened?

SP Cook

Exxon - Mobil - Esso "Synergy" is described on the website as a "Formula One racing derived blend of two detergents and seven ingredient additive package".  Which is, of course, marketing bull s*** as, in my area and probably yours too, A L L of the fuel comes from the same, not EM owned, refinery and is delivered by, not EM owned, trucks that deliver to multiple brands. 

But, yes we have gotten the "Synergy" brand name at most of our Exxon stations.

As a side note, we never had any Mobil stations around here, never, none.  Recently they have been popping up.  Seems the two c-store chains that pay to use the Exxon branding here, One Stop and Little General, both have contracts where Exxon cannot let one have a station too close to the other.  They had respected each other's space until recently and started using the Mobil name to open stores across from one another.

jon daly

Mobil is more prevalent here, but I see an occasional Exxon station.

But one of those is pre-merger. It was an Esso back in the day.

Glad to see another gas discussion here. The one other place I see it online is a place were pump restoring hobbyists congregrate and they're mostly a generation older than me.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: roadman65 on May 21, 2019, 09:49:26 PM
Has Exxon or Mobil yet introduced whatever Synergy is in your area?  I noticed the ad for it at the pump is a red curved thing over the pump.  Do not ask me what that is to be about but I am guessing its something like Techron that Chevron uses.

Most places I've seen that have either remodeled as existing Exxon or Mobil or switched to Exxon or Mobil have added the "synergy" labeling and tacked-on red sign stuff (that IMO, is totally superfluous and unnecessary).  I would guess you're right about the Techron connotation (or like the "nitro" stuff that Shell now has); to me, I don't really care if there's a special branded additive or wonderful peppy something extra that I just filled up with, just have the gas available, don't gouge me on the price, and keep the water (or other messy surprises) out of the fuel supply, and that's it.  Simple.

formulanone

Come on, all the fuel companies tout their high-octane blend with some sort of gimmicky name, and seem to have done it since at least the 1950s. Suckers buy it which don't need it, and the ones who do, they're just competing for their dollar over the other brand. And then they call it something else 10-15 years later. I'm sure there's nothing in there that actually translates back to increased performance in 95-99% of most vehicles by much more than a gnat's whisker.

Quote from: SP Cook on May 22, 2019, 10:40:54 AM
Exxon - Mobil - Esso "Synergy" is described on the website as a "Formula One racing derived blend of two detergents and seven ingredient additive package".

F1 fuel used to share more in common with aviation fuel until the late-1960s, when it went back to automotive fuel with high octane amounts (something like 102-105). Up until mid-1992, there were more and more additives until the stuff was literally causing handling headaches, and had excessive amounts of chemicals thought to cause cancer (p-Xylene, some toluenes, a few others I can't recall). Back to mostly high-octane stuff found in the pumps, but without the detergents. Since then, it shares more in common with road car fuel with some go-fast additives, although it would probably damage a typical car's internals.

Beltway

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2019, 05:18:17 AM
Come on, all the fuel companies tout their high-octane blend with some sort of gimmicky name, and seem to have done it since at least the 1950s. Suckers buy it which don't need it, and the ones who do, they're just competing for their dollar over the other brand. And then they call it something else 10-15 years later. I'm sure there's nothing in there that actually translates back to increased performance in 95-99% of most vehicles by much more than a gnat's whisker.

Super Shell with Platformate, ESSO Extra puts a tiger in your tank.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Beltway on May 23, 2019, 06:20:04 AM
Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2019, 05:18:17 AM

Super Shell with Platformate, ESSO Extra puts a tiger in your tank.

Not sure if this was ever an additive, or just a catchphrase/slogan to get people talking....
Fina with Pflash!
(the Pflash part was a comic-book-like special logo, which was also seen on several bumper stickers.)

roadman65

One you have to watch for is Unleaded 88 as it will dirty your injectors unless your engine is designed to accept that particular grade.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on May 24, 2019, 10:16:51 PM
One you have to watch for is Unleaded 88 as it will dirty your injectors unless your engine is designed to accept that particular grade.

How is 88 worse than 87 (regular) or 89 (mid-grade)?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2019, 10:37:05 PM

I initially thought the same thing. However, "Unleaded 88" is another name for E15. It's not typical gasoline.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on May 25, 2019, 07:12:34 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2019, 10:37:05 PM

I initially thought the same thing. However, "Unleaded 88" is another name for E15. It's not typical gasoline.

The 88 octane E15 can work in any vehicle model year 2003 or newer.  However, (literally) you mileage may vary.  It worked fine in the 2011 Dodge Caliber I had with no change in mileage (87 octane minimum required).  It doesn't work fine in my 2017 Jeep Renegade as the mileage drops significantly (87 required, 91 recommended, I usually use 89 which works just fine).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjk374

I check my gas mileage everytime I fill up. I have noticed differences in MPG between brands of gas. Murphy USA gives me the worst gas mileage. I have been told that the reason is the lack of additives in Murphy's gas (no additives = lower price at the pump).  Shell gives me the best MPG.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cjk374 on May 26, 2019, 09:19:31 PM
I check my gas mileage everytime I fill up. I have noticed differences in MPG between brands of gas. Murphy USA gives me the worst gas mileage. I have been told that the reason is the lack of additives in Murphy's gas (no additives = lower price at the pump).  Shell gives me the best MPG.

How much gas is left in the tank when you fill up?  Do you drive the same roads consistently?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.