News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2022 meet ideas

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 06, 2021, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

I'm thinking about doing a Shawangunk Road Meet some time next year.  Highlights would include US 44/NY 55 and NY 52 across the Shawangunk Ridge, as well as some of the stuff up near Kingston like I-587, the US 209/NY 199 expressway, and the Wurts Street Bridge.  Not committed at this point, just an idea that I'm throwing around.

Brandon

Mods: Can we make this a sticky like the 2021 Meet thread?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on October 17, 2021, 01:17:10 AM
Mods: Can we make this a sticky like the 2021 Meet thread?
It's not 2022 yet. :|

roadwaywiz95

I'm still focused on 2021 myself.  :-|

Also, I'm not sure why this list has to be diluted with a bunch of meets that are maybe, kinda, or sorta happening without any commitments from the people who are throwing their ideas out there. If you want to host a meet, host it, pick a date, and announce it. I don't need to know that you're "thinking about" hosting an event. Just tell us when & where the event is and I'd happy to consider attending. (Don't give me question marks, give me periods.) The way this is set up currently, it's difficult for folks like me to weed through everything and determine exactly what's happening, what isn't, and what's prone to postponement, and I feel like we can do a better job all around of constructing this list and communicating intent. Perhaps a second list of hypothetical ideas would help separate things better and be easier for folks to digest, b/c right now (in October 2021) this list is already giving me a headache.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Rothman

As long as the OP reflects the state of things, I don't mind.  I just ignore the ones without specific dates.

Not sure if that April 2nd for Irondequoit is as firm as it seems, though.  It was thrown out as a possibility, but didn't see to be firm in its thread.

ETA:  And, if a host last-minute cancels because they really couldn't be the host (as has happened before), that's pretty rude.  Emergencies are of course understandable, but given how far some people travel for these things, reality needs to hit somewhat early on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 18, 2021, 12:57:30 PM
I'm still focused on 2021 myself.  :-|

Also, I'm not sure why this list has to be diluted with a bunch of meets that are maybe, kinda, or sorta happening without any commitments from the people who are throwing their ideas out there. If you want to host a meet, host it, pick a date, and announce it. I don't need to know that you're "thinking about" hosting an event. Just tell us when & where the event is and I'd happy to consider attending. (Don't give me question marks, give me periods.) The way this is set up currently, it's difficult for folks like me to weed through everything and determine exactly what's happening, what isn't, and what's prone to postponement, and I feel like we can do a better job all around of constructing this list and communicating intent. Perhaps a second list of hypothetical ideas would help separate things better and be easier for folks to digest, b/c right now (in October 2021) this list is already giving me a headache.

Lots of people like to gauge interest, and then throw out a range of dates, to try to maximize potential attendance. And often, someone will start out with a great deal of interest in hosting a meet, then will lose interest for whatever reason (example: me, thinking about hosting a Portsmouth, Ohio meet and even going as far as to scout out possible stops, before deciding I didn't want to fool with it.

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 01:04:17 PM
As long as the OP reflects the state of things, I don't mind.  I just ignore the ones without specific dates.

Not sure if that April 2nd for Irondequoit is as firm as it seems, though.  It was thrown out as a possibility, but didn't see to be firm in its thread.

ETA:  And, if a host last-minute cancels because they really couldn't be the host (as has happened before), that's pretty rude.  Emergencies are of course understandable, but given how far some people travel for these things, reality needs to hit somewhat early on.

Irondequoit started out as a joke, anyway (and much of the itinerary was also on the tour for the Rochester meet in, I think 2010) so who knows if the person who proposed it had any intentions of following through?

I still feel bad about having to call off the New River Gorge/Beckley/Coalfields Expressway meet five years ago, but I would not have been physically able to attend, and I didn't know I would have problems when I scheduled the meet. Of course, I'd made notes available and I know a few people came anyway. I attended a meet years ago where the host was unable to make it and a substitute host stepped in at the last minute.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

Relax, man.  When I started this thread a couple months ago, I made it clear that it's a list of the meets that are simply being "considered" for 2022.  I've started a thread like this every year for the past few years now and no one has complained about them until now.  It's just a list of tentative meets, and that's all it was ever intended to be.  If some meets on this list don't happen, who cares?

If this list is giving you a headache, no one is forcing you to read it.  I don't see what the harm is in compiling a list of meet ideas that folks have talked about possibly hosting.
-A.J. from Michigan

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2021, 07:23:52 PM

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 01:04:17 PM

Irondequoit started out as a joke, anyway (and much of the itinerary was also on the tour for the Rochester meet in, I think 2010) so who knows if the person who proposed it had any intentions of following through?

I still feel bad about having to call off the New River Gorge/Beckley/Coalfields Expressway meet five years ago, but I would not have been physically able to attend, and I didn't know I would have problems when I scheduled the meet. Of course, I'd made notes available and I know a few people came anyway. I attended a meet years ago where the host was unable to make it and a substitute host stepped in at the last minute.

I was thinking of one particular instance a while ago where someone did say they were hosting a meet, went through planning and everything, only to reveal that it was a facade the night before and someone else was making a multi-day trip to be there.  That was nuts.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 10:52:39 PM
I was thinking of one particular instance a while ago where someone did say they were hosting a meet, went through planning and everything, only to reveal that it was a facade the night before and someone else was making a multi-day trip to be there.  That was nuts.

I think you're referring to a meet that was supposed to happen in Jacksonville FL a couple years ago or so.  You're right; that was awful.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 19, 2021, 06:33:47 AM

I think you're referring to a meet that was supposed to happen in Jacksonville FL a couple years ago or so.  You're right; that was awful.

That would be pretty bad. I wouldn't be happy about that. I think the person who was going to go (not a member of this forum) went anyway, now that you mention it.

Closest I ever came was when I was en route to a meet in Slidell, La., about 13 years ago. A hurricane was en route to the Gulf coast but wasn't expected to hit until a couple of days after the meet. The host publicly pondered calling it off, but decided to go ahead with it.

froggie

QuoteClosest I ever came was when I was en route to a meet in Slidell, La., about 13 years ago. A hurricane was en route to the Gulf coast but wasn't expected to hit until a couple of days after the meet. The host publicly pondered calling it off, but decided to go ahead with it.

That was me, with Hurricane Gustav approaching.  I felt we had enough lead time to comfortably hold the meet, and so I did.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2021, 11:53:47 AM

That would be pretty bad. I wouldn't be happy about that. I think the person who was going to go (not a member of this forum) went anyway, now that you mention it.

I know exactly whom you're referring to.  I felt bad for him for making that long trip expecting a road meet to be taking place, only to discover that it was not.  That's why I would probably never plan on attending a road meet that's talked about being hosted by the person who pulled that crap.
-A.J. from Michigan

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 10:52:39 PMI was thinking of one particular instance a while ago where someone did say they were hosting a meet, went through planning and everything, only to reveal that it was a facade the night before and someone else was making a multi-day trip to be there.  That was nuts.

To what end?  For the lulz?

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 19, 2021, 01:24:50 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 10:52:39 PMI was thinking of one particular instance a while ago where someone did say they were hosting a meet, went through planning and everything, only to reveal that it was a facade the night before and someone else was making a multi-day trip to be there.  That was nuts.

To what end?  For the lulz?
Nah.  Hard to put it otherwise:  I think the "host" was immature, from what I remember.  Just seemed to get caught up in the idea and then realized he really couldn't pull it off.

Others may remember it differently.

NWI_Irish96

Was this person banned? And if not, why not?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 19, 2021, 01:30:31 PM

I don't think they were banned, but they did get quite the tongue lashing.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on October 19, 2021, 01:31:38 PM

Someone on the outside gave a plausible detailed explanation about what may have happened behind the host cancelling that meet: basically the host couldn't hold it on his own, and when his hosting help was unable or unwilling to do so, he had to cancel.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 19, 2021, 01:59:20 PM

Someone on the outside gave a plausible detailed explanation about what may have happened behind the host cancelling that meet: basically the host couldn't hold it on his own, and when his hosting help was unable or unwilling to do so, he had to cancel.

Am I remembering this wrong, or was it a kid that was trying to host it and he was relying upon his parents or something like that?

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on October 19, 2021, 02:20:39 PM

Am I remembering this wrong, or was it a kid that was trying to host it and he was relying upon his parents or something like that?

Yes, but he was/is an adult.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on October 19, 2021, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 19, 2021, 02:20:39 PM

Yes, but he was/is an adult.

Yes, and this person also often expresses a desire to attend a distant meet, and will even post potential airport destinations and layovers, but never ends up going.

roadwaywiz95

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 18, 2021, 08:29:37 PM

Relax, man.  When I started this thread a couple months ago, I made it clear that it's a list of the meets that are simply being "considered" for 2022.  I've started a thread like this every year for the past few years now and no one has complained about them until now.  It's just a list of tentative meets, and that's all it was ever intended to be.  If some meets on this list don't happen, who cares?

If this list is giving you a headache, no one is forcing you to read it.  I don't see what the harm is in compiling a list of meet ideas that folks have talked about possibly hosting.

This list might be intended as a list of meets under consideration, but it functions instead as a list of planned meets in the eyes of those who read it. As I said, it would be better to put the "ideas" and question marks in a separate category so folks can trim the fat and better discern exactly what the meet landscape looks like during the year or at a particular time of year. For planning/travel purposes, it doesn't do potential attendees like me any good to see a list of question marks and maybes on a meet calendar and that's why I suggested putting them on a separate list apart from those that have already "graduated" to confirmed status. It helps everyone involved who might want to take part in these things as the year goes on.

And just b/c "no one has complained about them until now", doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, and you shouldn't take it personally and tell *me* to "relax" when *I* offer a perspective on this matter that might enable you to make this feature better. I know you're not a big fan of mine (for whatever reason), but you don't need to act as if everyone who is critical of you is out to get you.

P.S. This thread promptly diverted off course into talking about something completely off topic from "2022 Meets" right after my initial comment. Yeah, there's no fat that needs trimming in here.  :-D
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

csw

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 19, 2021, 06:02:11 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 18, 2021, 08:29:37 PM

This list might be intended as a list of meets under consideration, but it functions instead as a list of planned meets in the eyes of those who read it. As I said, it would be better to put the "ideas" and question marks in a separate category so folks can trim the fat and better discern exactly what the meet landscape looks like during the year or at a particular time of year. For planning/travel purposes, it doesn't do potential attendees like me any good to see a list of question marks and maybes on a meet calendar and that's why I suggested putting them on a separate list apart from those that have already "graduated" to confirmed status. It helps everyone involved who might want to take part in these things as the year goes on.

And just b/c "no one has complained about them until now", doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, and you shouldn't take it personally and tell *me* to "relax" when *I* offer a perspective on this matter that might enable you to make this feature better. I know you're not a big fan of mine (for whatever reason), but you don't need to act as if everyone who is critical of you is out to get you.

P.S. This thread promptly diverted off course into talking about something completely off topic from "2022 Meets" right after my initial comment. Yeah, there's no fat that needs trimming in here.  :-D

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 18, 2021, 08:29:37 PMRelax, man.

A.J. Bertin

If you don't like the way this list was started, you are welcome to start something different, for, say, 2023 meets.  No one would stop you from doing so.  I only took this on because I wanted to and because I thought it would be good to get a list started.  I'm not going to refuse to add a tentative meet to the list just because the potential host isn't 100 percent certain on whether or not he or she will actually be able to move forward with it this early in the game.  I'm also not in a position at this point to start a separate thread for only the tentative meets of 2022.  The problem with what you're suggesting is that you're trying to force potential meet hosts to decide, prematurely, whether their meet idea belongs in a category of "definitely happening" or "possibly happening".  To me, that's a bit ridiculous and I don't think potential meet hosts would want to be forced to have their meet ideas go in one category or the other.  Plus, then, there's the extra task of moving meets between the two lists when the hosts announce that their tentative meets will become definitive (or vice versa if they express hesitation in hosting after previously announcing a date).  If you don't like the question marks on this list, my suggestion would be to simply ignore them and focus instead on the meets that have specific dates already attached to them.  I imagine some of the question marks will be removed as it gets closer to the time when those meets happen (if, in fact, they do happen).

And just b/c "no one has complained about them until now", doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, and you shouldn't take it personally and tell *me* to "relax" when *I* offer a perspective on this matter that might enable you to make this feature better.  I know you're not a big fan of mine (for whatever reason), but you don't need to act as if everyone who is critical of you is out to get you.

At no point did I ever say that I'm not open to improvement.  I certainly am.  It's just that I didn't ask for your feedback, and you are only one person of many who reads the threads on this forum.  I'm not acting like you're out to get me, and I'm not sure how you're getting that perception.  If someone criticizes my idea, I will consider the source of the criticism and whether I'm open to the suggestions (and whether the suggestions make sense to me).  If you're going to criticize someone's ideas, you should be prepared for whatever response you might get from that person.  Just because you criticize a person's idea (especially when the criticism wasn't asked for) doesn't mean you should expect them to blindly make whatever changes you want them to make.  That's rather arrogant, if you ask me, and it gives others the perception that it must be done your way.  It also gives the perception that your ideas are the only ones that matter which is not true at all.

This has nothing to do with me being a fan of you or not.  I'm not sure why that's relevant.  You provided a suggestion for what you believe is an improvement.  I'm not required to agree with your suggestion... especially when I don't see it as an improvement.  We just see it differently.  I like to plan in advance for travel just as much as you do.  But you can't force potential meet hosts into prematurely deciding whether their meets are definitive or tentative just because the current list format doesn't fit into your desire to plan for your personal travels.  No one is stopping you from planning travel.  But when it comes to road meets that you're interested in attending, you just have to do what the rest of us do and wait until road-meet plans are firmed up by the hosts.  If you're trying to plan all of your 2022 travels now and you're only basing that on which road meets are definitive (and you don't have the flexibility to change your travel plans later, as hosts firm up their meet plans), my guess is that you probably wouldn't be attending many road meets in 2022.

At this point, I guess the moderators can chime in and share their thoughts on whether the list of potential meets for 2022 is okay the way it is or if they'd prefer your suggestion.  It just seems like you're trying to pigeonhole road-meet hosts into categories, which is something I personally disagree with.  I'm not sure what the moderators would think of that.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

the moderators would vastly prefer people stop arguing about what's included and just have the list maintained by the person who posted it

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on October 19, 2021, 11:15:34 PM
the moderators would vastly prefer people stop arguing about what's included and just have the list maintained by the person who posted it

Thanks for chiming in, Steve.  I will continue to maintain this list the same way I've been maintaining it all along.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.