The 2023 Roadmeet collection Thread

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 12, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
If I'm in better spirits, I may revisit the Twin Cities meet idea for around state fair time (late August/Labor Day).

If you decide to host this, I would be interested in attending if the timing works out.  I'd love a reason to revisit the Twin Cities (and spend more time in St. Paul this time).
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

Quote from: Alps on September 12, 2022, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 12, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
If I'm in better spirits, I may revisit the Twin Cities meet idea for around state fair time (late August/Labor Day).
A roadgeek state fair outing would be more likely to get my interest.

Uh, yes. Of course, I plan to attend at least 2 state fairs next year, so a third in a single summer might be too much.  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Laura

I'm looking at Cumberland for 2023. I had originally wanted to do this meet in May or October but honestly summer may be the way to go. The only question is timing...which month would people be more likely to attend? I see Cody already has Little Rock in June, so perhaps July or August? Need feedback.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Laura on September 13, 2022, 01:29:22 PM
I'm looking at Cumberland for 2023. I had originally wanted to do this meet in May or October but honestly summer may be the way to go. The only question is timing...which month would people be more likely to attend? I see Cody already has Little Rock in June, so perhaps July or August? Need feedback.
August would work for me. Historically a month where I tend to show up for meets (in 2011 and 2019). July certainly hasn't, OTOH this year is an exception due to a tight schedule.

Laura

Quote from: kevinb1994 on September 13, 2022, 01:46:38 PM
August would work for me. Historically a month where I tend to show up for meets (in 2011 and 2019). July certainly hasn't, OTOH this year is an exception due to a tight schedule.

Yeah. So a little birdie just told me that someone else is planning a meet in either July or August but is waiting to announce after the major and minor leagues have finalized baseball game schedule times. If they decide to host in July, then I'll do August and vice versa. Looking at these dates: 7/15, 7/29, or 8/19.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Laura on September 13, 2022, 01:54:48 PM

Yeah. So a little birdie just told me that someone else is planning a meet in either July or August but is waiting to announce after the major and minor leagues have finalized baseball game schedule times. If they decide to host in July, then I'll do August and vice versa. Looking at these dates: 7/15, 7/29, or 8/19.
Since I have just attended a meet in late July this year, potentially doing it again next year wouldn't hurt.

Alps

Quote from: Laura on September 13, 2022, 01:54:48 PM

8/19 is a roadgeek's birthday but he won't be attending. But do I want to attend that with him? 🤔 let's see the other meet.

A.J. Bertin

I'd vote for August but wouldn't rule out attending in July if it works with my personal schedule.
-A.J. from Michigan

Roadgeek Adam

I have had thoughts for a while of a meet in the Meadville-Oil City PA area of the state that would include an abandoned tunnel walk, but I keep pushing it off as I don't have enough to justify a whole meet. I still want to hold it. (I have all details I need in terms of restaurant and everything.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

I am long overdue for a Utah visit and it occurs to me there is likely enough for an entire meet. Button copy at a few points near SLC region, interchanges, growth/construction... maybe an old bridge somewhere? So that's now front and center in my mind... US_89?

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 14, 2022, 12:32:38 AM
I am long overdue for a Utah visit and it occurs to me there is likely enough for an entire meet. Button copy at a few points near SLC region, interchanges, growth/construction... maybe an old bridge somewhere? So that's now front and center in my mind... US_89?

Heh.  I like the idea of admins tasking people to host meets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

Rothman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 14, 2022, 07:12:44 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 14, 2022, 06:36:31 AM
I like the idea of admins tasking people to host meets.

Why's that?
It helps get meets in needed places and shows really how much authority admins have.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

If the goal was button copy, you probably missed your chance by about 10 years - there used to be a bunch hanging around the 80/215 interchange which has now been all replaced. A couple signs do still stand up in Davis County.

There is definitely enough for a meet in the greater Salt Lake City region between new construction, unique interchange/roadway designs, some abandoned alignments, and a handful of old bridges. That said, if the idea is for me to show up I'm not sure 2023 is the best time for that - as I am going to be in Tallahassee full time for most of the next couple years and likely will only be in Utah around holidays/at times people won't want to have meets.

Now, if someone were to have a meet in Florida or somewhere else in the southeast in that time frame...

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 14, 2022, 10:38:07 AM
I do plan to be in Florida in March.

Maybe Rothman will host a Jacksonville, Fl. meet in March.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Rothman on September 14, 2022, 08:02:40 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 14, 2022, 07:12:44 AM
I like the idea of admins tasking people to host meets.

Why's that?
It helps get meets in needed places and shows really how much authority admins have.

Umm... okay... I'll take that as a joke.  Not a funny one.

If someone feels that a meet should happen in a certain place, they should host it themselves.
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Some of the projects around here in Jax have been taking an awfully long time to finish, but here on the Southside, the HOT lanes on 295 are pretty much done. Next up: landscaping.

As far as east-west roadways go, there's nothing of note going on on Beach, but Atlantic, being the original thoroughfare for cars to/from the Beach, is seeing median modifications and landscaping.

EDIT: Looks like there are some notable improvements planned for Beach-these will include median modifications and imtersection improvements.

Alps

Heh.  I like the idea of admins tasking people to host meets.
then you are wrong on at least two counts

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on September 14, 2022, 10:31:07 AM

If the goal was button copy, you probably missed your chance by about 10 years - there used to be a bunch hanging around the 80/215 interchange which has now been all replaced. A couple signs do still stand up in Davis County.

There is definitely enough for a meet in the greater Salt Lake City region between new construction, unique interchange/roadway designs, some abandoned alignments, and a handful of old bridges. That said, if the idea is for me to show up I'm not sure 2023 is the best time for that - as I am going to be in Tallahassee full time for most of the next couple years and likely will only be in Utah around holidays/at times people won't want to have meets.

Now, if someone were to have a meet in Florida or somewhere else in the southeast in that time frame...
I getcha. But you definitely know the area the best. You don't need to be in the area you know best, but contributing your expertise is key. If you're willing to help put one together, I'm tentatively willing to do the grunt work of working it into a meet.

Rothman

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 14, 2022, 12:01:07 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 14, 2022, 10:38:07 AM
I do plan to be in Florida in March.

Maybe Rothman will host a Jacksonville, Fl. meet in March.

Hm.  Last time I was down there was five years ago.  I suppose I could give it a shot.

"Um...here's that big bridge on I-295..."

hbelkins

Fall foliage in that mountainous area might be a drawing card for October. (But what would it do to lodging rates/availability in the area? I know rates go sky-high in the Beckley and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge areas in October.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

I've contemplated trying to set up a road meet on a MLK Weekend before but never proposed one formerly (outside of asking if anyone was interested in meeting up at Jeff's license plate meet). The concept would overlap with the end of Jeff's annual plate show (Friday), give people a reason to escape the cold (its typically 65-75 for a high), and a side thing could be a visit to Busch Gardens. The two projects that could be part of it are the Gateway Expressway in Pinellas and the Howard Frankland Bridge replacement project. The Skyway could be a stop but the most interesting view is from the former span that is a state park and requires a fee for entry.

I could even consider hosting something at the house, like grilling burgers and hot dogs, with cornhole and darts. A lunch stop would require some research. Not sure World of Beer is what people would go for (I meet up with my wife's FDOT friends/co workers there for once a month happy hour), but that's about the only place I've gone to regularly since Covid.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alex on September 14, 2022, 11:23:51 PM

I've contemplated trying to set up a road meet on a MLK Weekend before but never proposed one formerly (outside of asking if anyone was interested in meeting up at Jeff's license plate meet). The concept would overlap with the end of Jeff's annual plate show (Friday), give people a reason to escape the cold (its typically 65-75 for a high), and a side thing could be a visit to Busch Gardens. The two projects that could be part of it are the Gateway Expressway in Pinellas and the Howard Frankland Bridge replacement project. The Skyway could be a stop but the most interesting view is from the former span that is a state park and requires a fee for entry.

I could even consider hosting something at the house, like grilling burgers and hot dogs, with cornhole and darts. A lunch stop would require some research. Not sure World of Beer is what people would go for (I meet up with my wife's FDOT friends/co workers there for once a month happy hour), but that's about the only place I've gone to regularly since Covid.
Last time I was in Pinellas was in May of 2014. I was only able to stop at a Waffle House in St. Pete on the way to Sarasota. Maybe it's time to make a return trip!

cl94

2025/26 then? Because Salt Lake is close enough for me to do as a weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.