News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

Max Rockatansky

Turns out the aviation industry has been doing this all wrong:

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 21, 2022, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: skluth on December 21, 2022, 11:59:51 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 21, 2022, 11:55:19 AM
Smaller planes like that, and private planes, should be in the 4000-5000 mph range. 2000-3000 mph is more reasonable for commercial airliners due to their extreme mass. Only issue with that is the extreme friction generated heated in the atmosphere. Imagine looking out your window and only seeing a huge fireball the whole time!

Imagine being on the ground and having all the windows of your home blown out from the sonic boom generated by the plane flying overhead.

Well they would fly at a much higher altitude, for lesser air resistance and being able to stay in the air in a thinner atmosphere due to increased speed and lift.

@Max R

Even 3,000 mph for commercial airplanes is barely cutting it. That's still more than 1 second to go a mile.

[Thread title edited for accuracy. -S.]

MultiMillionMiler

This is the 3rd time you've created a thread because of 1 comment I made LOL, but while we're on the subject, here's what I think reasonable, IDEAL, transportation speeds are, if all the engineering and safety kinks could be worked out:

Trucks: 90-120 mph
Cars: 200-300 mph
Trains: 500-1000 mph
Boats: 400-500 mph
Commercial Jumbo Jets: 1000-1500 mph
Average Commercial Airliners: 2000-3000 mph
Private Planes: 4000-5000 mph
Military Jets: 10,000-12,000 mph
Interplanetary Spacecraft: 500,000,000 mph
Warp-Driven Interstellar Spacecraft: 10 Billion Miles/Second
Warp Driven Intergalactic Spacecraft: 100 Billion - 1 Trillion Miles/Second.

Star Trek got it all wrong also with their slow ass ships.

Max Rockatansky

Please, enlighten us on how warp drive works and how it makes faster than light travel possible.  This thread is your opportunity to teach all of us plebeians how physics actually works.  No need to hold back for the feeble minded.  If you don't mind though, please tell me what lies beyond the cosmic horizon and what is at the singularity of your typical stellar mass black hole.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2022, 12:23:41 PM
Please, enlighten us on how warp drive works and how it makes faster than light travel possible.  This thread is your opportunity to teach all of us plebeians how physics actually works.  No need to hold back for the feeble minded.  If you don't mind though, please tell me what lies beyond the cosmic horizon and what is at the singularity of your typical stellar mass black hole.

At first I thought it was the simple stretching and squeezing of spacetime to compress space in front of the ship to shorten the distance. You feel no acceleration because it's the space around you itself that's moving and not the ship. But it turns out, according to one enterprise episode, that it's a subspace displacement field that forms the warp bubble. How the anti-matter reaction energy gets converted into a warping of spacetime I have no idea. You should search up the "Alcubierre Metric" which is a theoretical solution to one of Einstein's field equations that could possibly be implemented to build a warp driven ship.

One thing that always got me with the Voyager series, was that they stated how maximum warp was equivalent to 4 billion miles per second, and when you do the math, it should only take them about 3 years to traverse the galaxy, not 75.

1995hoo

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 21, 2022, 12:20:55 PM
This is the 3rd time you've created a thread because of 1 comment I made LOL, but while we're on the subject, here's what I think reasonable, IDEAL, transportation speeds are, if all the engineering and safety kinks could be worked out:

The boldfaced is the key, of course. There's a reason why both commercial supersonic jets to enter service (Concorde and the Soviet Tu-144) were narrow-fuselage designs. Concorde had a 2+2 seating arrangement; the Tu-144 had 2+3 (and the Tu-144 was a complete disaster for other reasons having to do with design mistakes the Soviets made). Even though they flew at 60,000 feet, they still had to deal with the air resistance at the transonic speeds at lower altitudes, and the jumbo jets would face far more air resistance.

A swing-wing mechanism, in turn, works well on some fighter jets, but Boeing found there was a major problem with such a design when attempting to build the 2707 SST: The swing-wing mechanism would have worked in terms of allowing the plane to fly, but the weight penalty meant it could only fly with no passengers, luggage, or cargo, which is just a little bit of a problem for a commercial aircraft.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 21, 2022, 12:31:15 PM
One thing that always got me with the Voyager series, was that they stated how maximum warp was equivalent to 4 billion miles per second, and when you do the math, it should only take them about 3 years to traverse the galaxy, not 75.

But it's also evident from the series that warp engines are not capable of continuous operation like that.  They need to be 'refueled' same as any ship. Plus copious amounts of maintenance.  Not to mention they could not simply chart a direct path back to Federation space due to hostile aliens and the usual rogues gallery of space anomalies baked into the genre.

Better yet, such a discrepancy is easier to explain away by assuming a writer threw out some impressive-sounding number without doing the math to see if it breaks canon.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MultiMillionMiler

Well just given the way the stars whip by, visually they are going at least several light years a second. So it wouldn't look the fast if they were only going 1 solar system per second. Many episodes of other series also contradict each other, such as seeming to go a couple parsers in a minute or two. Maybe I should start a thread on the stupidest star trek storylines/physics errors. My favorite is from the original series, literally the 1st 20 episodes are laughable for multiple reasons, but the winner for that series is in the Galileo 7, when Spock claims the shuttlecraft can't lift off because "they seem to be holding us down", implying that  the grip of a few big apes is stronger than the engines.

kphoger

while we're on the subject, here's what I think reasonable, IDEAL, transportation speeds are, if all the engineering and safety kinks could be worked out:

Interplanetary Spacecraft: 100,000,000 mph

So you just pulled random numbers out of your butt and decided to call them "ideal"?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

while we're on the subject, here's what I think reasonable, IDEAL, transportation speeds are, if all the engineering and safety kinks could be worked out:

Interplanetary Spacecraft: 100,000,000 mph

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 01:14:12 PM
So you just pulled random numbers out of your butt and decided to call them "ideal"?

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 02:23:05 PM
No, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to travel anywhere on the Earth, that's where I got them from.

Please explain each number in detail, then.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

But it would take more than 3 hours to get from Philadelphia to Santa Fe by car.
Male pronouns, please.

MultiMillionMiler

2-3 hours by plane. By car, the limit should be more like 10 hours to Traverse the country.

hotdogPi

If a 200 mph car hits a 90 mph truck going the same direction, that's a 110 mph difference, which is likely fatal.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

I'm against collisions in both cases.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 03:45:48 PM
So is an undivided 55 mph road with one lane in each direction with people going 60. That's a 120 mph head on collision, yet people don't seem to have problems with those on this forum. Truck lanes should be permanently separated from car lanes. Most drivers wouldn't go 200 though.

You know where you aren't likely to hit someone head on at high speed?  Remote, derelict and curvy mountain grades.  :D

hobsini2

The current record for ANY boat for speed, set in 1978, was 317 mph. No one has come close since. The fastest train goes 286 mph. Please stop yourself.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Scott5114

If you're going to make up nonsense and invoke Star Trek as part of it, why faff about with all of these speeds and not just use the transporter?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 22, 2022, 03:57:07 PM
The current record for ANY boat for speed, set in 1978, was 317 mph. No one has come close since.
People actually have come close. Problem is, they died.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2022, 05:39:06 PM
If you're going to make up nonsense and invoke Star Trek as part of it, why faff about with all of these speeds and not just use the transporter?

Transporter seems very short range in star trek.

MultiMillionMiler

The current record for ANY boat for speed, set in 1978, was 317 mph. No one has come close since. The fastest train goes 286 mph. Please stop yourself.

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple 374 mph trains, and experimental trains even faster, but trains have broken 300 mph, that I'm sure of. Never heard of a 300 mph boat though, I'm gonna research that online..

thspfc

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 06:01:56 PM

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple 374 mph trains, and experimental trains even faster, but trains have broken 300 mph, that I'm sure of. Never heard of a 300 mph boat though, I'm gonna research that online..
You proclaimed that people should travel by boat at 400+ MPH, while never even having heard of a boat that has gone 300 MPH?

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 06:00:03 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2022, 05:39:06 PM

Transporter seems very short range in star trek.

It's only short range the scale that Star Trek operates on. Apparently the range was cited as 40,000 km (24,854 mi) in TNG (Memory Alpha's citation style makes it unclear whether this number comes from "A Matter Of Honor" or "Bloodlines" or both). Interestingly, that's within a few hundred miles of the circumference of the Earth (which, out of universe, is probably why they picked that number). So the transporter has a range covering the entire planet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MultiMillionMiler

I know they've beamed people to and from high orbits, which can be 20-30 thousand miles in altitude. After seeing all of the original series, next generation, voyager, about half of enterprise, and 10-12 episodes of DS9 (I despise that one), those are probably the only episodes that have ever entered into specs about the transporter.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 07:41:29 PM
I know they've beamed people to and from high orbits, which can be 20-30 thousand miles in altitude. After seeing all of the original series, next generation, voyager, about half of enterprise, and 10-12 episodes of DS9 (I despise that one), those are probably the only episodes that have ever entered into specs about the transporter.

Of course, all Trek rules are only rules as long as they don't get in the way of a good story.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 22, 2022, 09:47:58 PM

Of course, all Trek rules are only rules as long as they don't get in the way of a good story.

Except the storyline are usually extremely dumb. Like in the Galileo 7 episode where spock claimed the big apes were "holding the shuttlecraft down" when it was trying to take off. Or like on "Basics" in Voyager, how the ships computer just allows aliens who invaded to tell it to lock out star fleet voice commands and it obeys, and having bioneural circuitry but it can't answer 2 questions at the same time...Don't even get me started on "Threshold".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 09:58:40 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 22, 2022, 09:47:58 PM

Except the storyline are usually extremely dumb. Like in the Galileo 7 episode where spock claimed the big apes were "holding the shuttlecraft down" when it was trying to take off. Or like on "Basics" in Voyager, how the ships computer just allows aliens who invaded to tell it to lock out star fleet voice commands and it obeys, and having bioneural circuitry it can't answer 2 questions at the same time...Don't even get me started on "Threshold".

You do realize the original Star Trek had things like this?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.