News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

dlsterner

Quote from: 1 on January 19, 2023, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 19, 2023, 04:39:29 PM
He (she?)

Definitely a he.

(changed link to different post about 1 1/2 minutes after initially posting something here)

Well, he does admit to wanking to Star Trek ...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on January 19, 2023, 07:08:18 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 19, 2023, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 19, 2023, 04:39:29 PM
He (she?)

Definitely a he.

(changed link to different post about 1 1/2 minutes after initially posting something here)

Well, he does admit to wanking to Star Trek ...

TNG no less. 

kkt

Quote from: kalvado on January 19, 2023, 08:01:52 AM
Quote from: kkt on January 19, 2023, 12:50:18 AM
You know, the established physicists of the early 20th century just hated their elegant, intuitive Newtonian model being replaced.  And they hated even more that this patent clerk's model was knocking down a bunch of unexplained observations for which they had no answers.

And yet, because they were scientists and not cranks on a bulletin board, they accepted it.
Some didn't. "God doesn't play dice" as one looser did say back then being in denial of quantum mechanics.

That "looser" knew more about physics than you ever will.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 19, 2023, 11:45:12 AM
What proof? I've already established that atomic clocks aren't actually accurate to the degree needed to prove it.

You've established that you don't know what you're talking about.

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 19, 2023, 05:44:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2023, 05:22:52 PM
Well MMM is not the first one on here to be in college to only go to living at home.   

I'm sure even off this forum you get college grads sitting at home and not working.

Yes his ideas are in Rod Serlings Twilight Zone ( just like the algorithm that tried to misspell Serling's name) and is become twice as annoying as that Diesel Mechanic from 2020, but to be in the school to couch is more common than you think.

But maybe having around $45,000 in savings with $70-$75 monthly interest isn't as common in most people of that calibr.  ;-)

Too bad you didn't spend it on some more rigorous courses, where proof (and a passing grade) depended on one or more verifiable premise and reasoning from it, instead of on vigorous assertion and handwaving.

Max Rockatansky

One has to wonder what Einstein would make of someone who publicly admits wanking it to TNG critiquing general relativity?

algorerhythms

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 19, 2023, 05:13:53 PM

I will put this simply. There is 0 evidence that time dilation exists, nor is there any physical explanation of why that might be or should be hypothetically true.

My major was Psychology, not Physics. But even the average person knows that anything involving time travel or time "stretching and squeezing" is a scam.
Ah, that explains it. You're a major psycho.

US 89

I don't understand most of MMM's opinions. Therefore, they are scams.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 20, 2023, 12:57:52 AM
One has to wonder what Einstein would make of someone who publicly admits wanking it to TNG critiquing general relativity?
Shrug his shoulders and ask what TNG is.
And MMM talks about special relativity. Discussion about Lambda, if it should be there at all, requires much more background.
Special relativity is in the uncanny valley of physics, I would say.
It considers things which seem intuitive, but arrives at conclusions which can be somewhat understood by an average person, but are totally counterintuitive after all.
Quantum mechanics, for example , is further away from everyday stuff, and hence not that irritating until you are deep in the textbook.
The only other thing in physics which causes general misunderstanding i can think of is lift generation in aerodynamics. But since planes do fly, people sort of believe 8t works.

kalvado

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 20, 2023, 01:16:41 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 19, 2023, 05:13:53 PM

I will put this simply. There is 0 evidence that time dilation exists, nor is there any physical explanation of why that might be or should be hypothetically true.

My major was Psychology, not Physics. But even the average person knows that anything involving time travel or time "stretching and squeezing" is a scam.
Ah, that explains it. You're a major psycho.
Or maybe we are a test subject group for his thesis.... Good thing it is not Stanford experiment, as it seems

J N Winkler

Quote from: kalvado on January 20, 2023, 07:34:36 AMThe only other thing in physics which causes general misunderstanding I can think of is lift generation in aerodynamics. But since planes do fly, people sort of believe it works.

I can think of one other thing:  the justification for tacking 45° into the wind when sailing is not easy to understand.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

abefroman329

Absolutely nothing about sailing makes sense to me.

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 20, 2023, 12:31:05 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 20, 2023, 07:34:36 AMThe only other thing in physics which causes general misunderstanding I can think of is lift generation in aerodynamics. But since planes do fly, people sort of believe it works.

I can think of one other thing:  the justification for tacking 45° into the wind when sailing is not easy to understand.
That's pretty much same thing as lift. A sail is an airfoil generating lift, and everything follows from that consideration.
Actually the best (IMHO) casual-read text on aerodynamics is the one written about sails by a Boeing \ MDD aerodynamics engineer.... Nice mix of interests!

J N Winkler

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 21, 2023, 10:18:44 PMI wonder if Car-skiing will ever become a thing? Such as installing some sort of buoyant flat apparatus under your car to help it skip off the water, have it attached to a hyperfast car-towing speed boat and you could surf the waves just like a water skier in your own car! The only issue is protecting the inside of the car from water damage, and how the car would ultimately get back on land with the boat still in the water? Maybe this should go in the random thought thread?

This is one for Popular Mechanics.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 22, 2023, 01:40:06 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 21, 2023, 10:18:44 PMI wonder if Car-skiing will ever become a thing? Such as installing some sort of buoyant flat apparatus under your car to help it skip off the water, have it attached to a hyperfast car-towing speed boat and you could surf the waves just like a water skier in your own car! The only issue is protecting the inside of the car from water damage, and how the car would ultimately get back on land with the boat still in the water? Maybe this should go in the random thought thread?

For Darwin award, I would say.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kalvado on January 22, 2023, 08:38:27 AM

Sounds like an idea for classic Top Gear.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 22, 2023, 08:48:54 AM
Quote from: kalvado on January 22, 2023, 08:38:27 AM

Sounds like an idea for classic Top Gear.

Guys, we already have a solution here.  Just attach one of those helicopter grapple hook to a boat and the car.  I'm sure with all the future tech on display in this thread that we can certainly muster a boat towing a car reaching speeds of at least 200 knots?  No need for flotation devices when you can skip the car at high speeds on the surface of the water. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kalvado on January 20, 2023, 02:24:49 PM

That's pretty much same thing as lift. A sail is an airfoil generating lift, and everything follows from that consideration.
Actually the best (IMHO) casual-read text on aerodynamics is the one written about sails by a Boeing \ MDD aerodynamics engineer.... Nice mix of interests!

My understanding is that while sailing likely started with the idea of using the wind to push a boat, it doesn't actually work like that and you don't really want it to. Rather, as kalvado points out, a sail is a vertical wing with the force of lift going forward instead of up. But knowing all that nonetheless at least intuitively conflicts with sailing into the wind at all. Although if I understand that correctly, the keel is key to making that possible. that said, I am admittedly no expert here.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kalvado

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 22, 2023, 12:46:12 PM

My understanding is that while sailing likely started with the idea of using the wind to push a boat, it doesn't actually work like that and you don't really want it to. Rather, as kalvado points out, a sail is a vertical wing with the force of lift going forward instead of up. But knowing all that nonetheless at least intuitively conflicts with sailing into the wind at all. Although if I understand that correctly, the keel is key to making that possible. that said, I am admittedly no expert here.
Square rigging was the original one.  Polinesians learnt ho to use lift about 3000 years ago. As far as I understand, europeans learning the trick was the precursor for age of discovery...
Kiel is the forth force required to make things add up...  And yes, sailing directly into the wind is still impossible with non-moving sail. Some tailwind is still optimal condition

roadman65

I wonder if we'll see the day physical law changes because of MMM.  I have the feeling that MMM will be able to make 2 plus 2 equal 3 real soon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Quote from: roadman65 on January 23, 2023, 01:25:31 PM
I wonder if we'll see the day physical law changes because of MMM.  I have the feeling that MMM will be able to make 2 plus 2 equal 3 real soon.
Oh, so he's the one responsible for inflation?....

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on January 23, 2023, 06:51:37 PM

I wonder, what is MMM's take on how the universe will end?  Heat Death, the Big Rip and or the Big Crunch?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kalvado on January 22, 2023, 01:22:24 PM

Square rigging was the original one.  Polinesians learnt ho to use lift about 3000 years ago. As far as I understand, europeans learning the trick was the precursor for age of discovery...
Kiel is the forth force required to make things add up...  And yes, sailing directly into the wind is still impossible with non-moving sail. Some tailwind is still optimal condition

True, true, but it's amazing that you can sail even only 30 degrees away from directly into the wind, and to me, even more amazing that, at least at certain angles, you can sail faster than the wind is blowing.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kalvado

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 23, 2023, 07:28:14 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 22, 2023, 01:22:24 PM

True, true, but it's amazing that you can sail even only 30 degrees away from directly into the wind, and to me, even more amazing that, at least at certain angles, you can sail faster than the wind is blowing.
What is really amazing for me is a machine running directly  into the wind faster than the wind blows....

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 23, 2023, 07:39:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 23, 2023, 07:00:44 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 23, 2023, 06:51:37 PM

I wonder, what is MMM's take on how the universe will end?  Heat Death, the Big Rip and or the Big Crunch?

Heat death is the only likely outcome.

How do you account for Cosmic Inflation speeding up more and more as time goes along?  What is going to slow Cosmic Inflation enough that subatomic particles aren't eventually pulled apart by expanding space?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 23, 2023, 08:02:24 PM
How do you account for Cosmic Inflation speeding up more and more as time goes along?  What is going to slow Cosmic Inflation enough that subatomic particles aren't eventually pulled apart by expanding space?

What is the inflation rate for Star Bits, anyway? (I'm aware they were introduced about a decade after the games you're familiar with.)
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.