News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why aren’t batteries on some lap tops not part of the unit anymore

Started by roadman65, April 29, 2023, 02:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed on my 2019 Lenova Laptop that there is no battery on the bottom. So it is built like Apple where it's concealed in the unit, I would guess ( sarcasm).

Why is that built like that? The battery should be easy access to replace.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2023, 02:01:47 PM
I noticed on my 2019 Lenova Laptop that there is no battery on the bottom. So it is built like Apple where it's concealed in the unit, I would guess ( sarcasm).

Why is that built like that? The battery should be easy access to replace.
Size matters! Laptop battery is no longer a bunch of 18650s, and  it's fit into available volume.
Besides, how often you need to replace battery? Once every 4 years?

Scott5114

The manufacturer makes more money if you have to buy a whole new laptop when the battery stops working.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2023, 07:10:26 PM
The manufacturer makes more money if you have to buy a whole new laptop when the battery stops working.
Idiots should definitely pay up. I replaced a battery for $55 in my Zenbook... 
Unlike phones, laptops I saw so far are pretty reasonable for battery&SSD replacement and fan cleanup.

ZLoth

Quote from: kalvado on April 29, 2023, 02:39:19 PM
Size matters! Laptop battery is no longer a bunch of 18650s, and  it's fit into available volume.

If you are on a long trip (e.g. long flight) and AC power isn't available, you can shut down the laptop, swap the battery, and be back and running in less than five minutes.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kalvado

Quote from: ZLoth on April 30, 2023, 07:02:05 AM

If you are on a long trip (e.g. long flight) and AC power isn't available, you can shut down the laptop, swap the battery, and be back and running in less than five minutes.
Batteries went long way, lasting enough for us transcon is common. Power banks are still an option if you want more than that

In_Correct

Quote from: kalvado on April 30, 2023, 07:30:43 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on April 30, 2023, 07:02:05 AM

Batteries went long way, lasting enough for us transcon is common. Power banks are still an option if you want more than that

... or if you can set it to Hibernate Mode, and change the battery that way. It is much easier to just change the battery in less than ten seconds. And then turn it own and let it Resume. ...

I shall never have any Smart Phone that you can not open up. However, some Laptops I do have where the Battery is inside with the rest of it. These Batteries are Thin and Flat, and were probably made to fit in side the very Thin and very Flat computers. One of the arguments is that a dedicated Battery Compartment takes " too much " space.

QuoteBatteries went long way, lasting enough for us transcon is common. Power banks are still an option if you want more than that

The way that the title is worded I thought it is about Halos. ...

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.