News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Interstate's Forgotten Code - CPG Grey

Started by TEG24601, February 10, 2022, 04:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Max Rockatansky

Lost me the second I saw that font on the I-90 shield.

stevashe

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2022, 04:52:59 PM

Knowing Grey, I wouldn't be surprised if this was for legal reasons since the Interstate shield is technically copyrighted.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stevashe on February 10, 2022, 06:48:56 PM

Knowing Grey, I wouldn't be surprised if this was for legal reasons since the Interstate shield is technically copyrighted.

I should note that I was kind of being sarcastic in that original post.  There is a habit in the hobby to flip out over non-MUTCD complaint signage in posts and graphics.  If anyone wants a real assessment of the video, I found it sufficient enough to illustrate Interstate conventions.

That said, who in the Federal Government is actually going to try to enforce the Interstate copyright?  There is a whole lot of merchandise out there such as reproduction shields, shirts and stickers that would be way more in violation than a fair use graphic.

Bruce

He's left a few notes in the Reddit thread for the video, mainly for content cut for time.

Scott5114

The font is public domain, however. (Actually, fonts can't be copyright/trademarked in the United States, only their names.)

I'm amused that the line that appears when he mentions I-50 not existing basically follows the US-412 corridor (there's been a debate in Central States about whether or not 412 is worthy of the I-50 designation when it's upgraded).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Really liked this video, especially the humor, like spray painting a leading 0 in front of I-5. Like how he mentioned that the first digit choice of 3di that goes between two different 2di is inconsistent. Also, the part about wanting an I-995 in Maryland just to complete their set  :clap:

TEG24601

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2022, 09:26:25 PM

The font is public domain, however. (Actually, fonts can't be copyright/trademarked in the United States, only their names.)

I'm amused that the line that appears when he mentions I-50 not existing basically follows the US-412 corridor (there's been a debate in Central States about whether or not 412 is worthy of the I-50 designation when it's upgraded).

Technically nothing created by the US Government or its departments can be copywritten/copyrighted, so there cannot be a copyright on the Interstate Shield, regardless of what is claimed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

US 89

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 18, 2022, 10:44:31 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2022, 09:26:25 PM

Technically nothing created by the US Government or its departments can be copywritten/copyrighted, so there cannot be a copyright on the Interstate Shield, regardless of what is claimed.

The Interstate shield is not copyrighted, but it is a registered trademark of AASHTO (which is not a governmental agency), and I believe the main purpose of that trademark is to prevent DOTs from signing roads as interstates without AASHTO's approval.

Bruce

Regardless of the actual copyright status, video creators do need to toe the line around whatever YouTube might think of it. There's a lot of fraudulent copyright sniping done on the platform that can ruin a creator's revenue for months, so many err on the side of caution with assets that aren't 100% theirs (and even then, they still can get burned).

Scott5114

I think it's more likely that CPG Grey just changed the font as a form of artistic license rather than any sort of copyright concern.

While there are some agencies that are extremely strict about their shields being used for for-profit enterprises (NJTA has sent a cease-and-desist to someone selling replica Turnpike shields), Interstate shields are more or less fair game, as AASHTO doesn't actually seem to enforce the trademark. I think the reason for the trademark was mostly to have a cause of action against businesses trying to deceive motorists into thinking their billboards were legitimate traffic control devices. That seems to be a concern that never materialized.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

A couple non-roads friends sent me the link (one even bragged how WI was excluded - in favor of it's competitor... North Carolina!)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.