News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chicago streets turned into car-free areas

Started by ET21, February 14, 2014, 11:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 01, 2014, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 25, 2014, 03:42:18 PM
I'm all in favor of this concept, although I don't see it being as successful as the Minneapolis and Denver examples. And I wouldn't want the streets that border Wrigley Field closed at all, because then, how would Cubs fans who don't live in the neighborhood get to the games?
Henry, I am not saying to close Clark or Addison around Wrigley. Besides, if you are wise when driving to the game, you go to DeVry by Addison and Western, park for $6 and take the free shuttle to the ballpark. I've found that is the best way to do it if not taking the Red Line.

Waveland is used to access some private parking lots, but it appears that the block of Sheffield between Addison and Waveland doesn't access any private driveways and only provides a small handful of on-street parking spaces.  A perfect candidate for a pedestrianized street.

Crazy Volvo Guy

As an avid car and driving enthusiast, I staunchly oppose conversion to a "car-free area" of any area that cars presently roam.  As a truck driver, I staunchly oppose roads being converted to pedestrian traffic if I could otherwise take that road.  I, like most drivers for larger companies, am paid on a mileage model, not the odometer, so any driving I have to do above and beyond what the mileage model says is done for free.  (I oppose trucks being banned from certain roads for absolutely no reason other than whiny residents for the same reason. Glendale-Milford Road between Plainfield Road and Reading road in Evendale and Blue Ash in the Cincinnati metro is a perfect example of this.)  Thus, any detour I have to do over an ultimately bullshit reason that adds more than a handful of miles pisses me off.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

froggie

Quoteover an ultimately bullshit reason

This is highly debatable, depending on the specific situation.  But popular pedestrian malls certainly contribute much to city life, not to mention tax coffers.  Much more on a per-acre basis than a sprawling WalMart Supercenter (this was documented a few years ago).

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on May 14, 2014, 06:49:25 PM
Quoteover an ultimately bullshit reason

This is highly debatable, depending on the specific situation.  But popular pedestrian malls certainly contribute much to city life, not to mention tax coffers.  Much more on a per-acre basis than a sprawling WalMart Supercenter (this was documented a few years ago).

Froggie, you really needed to see State Street as it was in the 1980s.  It was dead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

Brandon, as you well know, city vibe is a lot different now than it was 30 years ago.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on May 15, 2014, 08:38:41 AM
Brandon, as you well know, city vibe is a lot different now than it was 30 years ago.

Yes, with fewer people than it had 30 years ago.  And it isn't all that different.  It's just as violent, just as troubled, and just as problematic outside of "Daleyland".  Welcome to the South and West Sides.  Not all of Chicago is River North and Wrigleyville.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mrsman

Quote from: Brandon on May 15, 2014, 09:59:07 AM

Yes, with fewer people than it had 30 years ago.  And it isn't all that different.  It's just as violent, just as troubled, and just as problematic outside of "Daleyland".  Welcome to the South and West Sides.  Not all of Chicago is River North and Wrigleyville.

Yes, but they aren't proposing to do any of the pedestrian plazas on the South and West Sides.  They're looking at the Loop and surrounding yuppifying neighborhoods like the Loop, River North, and Wrigleyville.

mrsman

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on May 14, 2014, 03:19:33 PM
As an avid car and driving enthusiast, I staunchly oppose conversion to a "car-free area" of any area that cars presently roam.  As a truck driver, I staunchly oppose roads being converted to pedestrian traffic if I could otherwise take that road.  I, like most drivers for larger companies, am paid on a mileage model, not the odometer, so any driving I have to do above and beyond what the mileage model says is done for free.  (I oppose trucks being banned from certain roads for absolutely no reason other than whiny residents for the same reason. Glendale-Milford Road between Plainfield Road and Reading road in Evendale and Blue Ash in the Cincinnati metro is a perfect example of this.)  Thus, any detour I have to do over an ultimately bullshit reason that adds more than a handful of miles pisses me off.

In most cases the streets that are becoming car-free don't have much traffic anyway and many already prohibit trucks.

I'd also say, let's look at each project on a case by case basis.  If a conversion would cause traffic tie-ups then it shouldn't be done.  But there are a lot of streets that don't get too much traffic and can be either narrowed or converted into a plaza without significant adverse consequences

Brandon

Quote from: mrsman on May 25, 2014, 12:58:51 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 15, 2014, 09:59:07 AM

Yes, but they aren't proposing to do any of the pedestrian plazas on the South and West Sides.  They're looking at the Loop and surrounding yuppifying neighborhoods like the Loop, River North, and Wrigleyville.

Basically, "Daleyland", not the real Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.