News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crossing gate, ramp meter or something else?

Started by silverback1065, August 20, 2015, 12:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

WarrenWallace

That is to restrict access to the freeway in case of a roadway closure.  Usually used in bad winter weather.
I hate sprawl!

silverback1065

Quote from: WarrenWallace on August 20, 2015, 12:24:43 PM
That is to restrict access to the freeway in case of a roadway closure.  Usually used in bad winter weather.

interesting are these common in the far north states?

briantroutman

They're particularly common on Interstates in the Great Plains and eastern Rockies where exits may be many miles apart, populations and police presence are spread very thin, and winter storms may dump feet of snow at a time.

peterj920

They're showing up on the Kennedy Expressway in Chicago so they're becoming increasingly common in urban areas also

silverback1065

these seem to be pretty useful, saves time trying to get a cop or temporary barriers out to close the road.

lordsutch

We have those on I-16 in Georgia now to help with a potential hurricane contraflow (roughly from Dublin east to I-516 on the eastbound carriageway). Most other states seem to just use stockpiles of temporary barriers instead.

froggie

I know we've discussed these in prior threads, though I can't find a specific thread.

iBallasticwolf2

Those gates in the examples look pretty discrete considering nothing gives them away.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

cl94

Agree with the above. NYSTA is systematically installing these as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mrt90

There are quite a few of these gates along I94 in Southeastern Wisconsin, but not at every entrance. I don't believe I've seen any in Lake County Illinois.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.