News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cutout US shields in Indiana

Started by mobilene, September 01, 2010, 03:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilene

While out for a drive a couple weeks ago on US 421 north of Indianapolis, I found some cutout US 421 shields in Carroll and Clinton Counties.  Looks like ones that belong on Interstate BGSs.

Cutout shields in Indiana? by mobilene, on Flickr

ww.flickr.com/photos/mobilene/4934680812/]Cutout shields in Indiana?[/url] by mobilene, on Flickr

Cutout shields in Indiana? by mobilene, on Flickr

Peace,
jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

agentsteel53

they float around.  I saw some in Monticello a few weeks ago.  421 seems to have been the latest batch that was made to that standard.  I've seen 6 float elsewhere (on the mainline along with I-80/94, I think)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mobilene

Somewhere around here I have photos of similar cutouts for US 6 and US 35 in (I think) St. Joseph County, IN.  I love it.  I wish Indiana would replace all their US shields with these.

agentsteel53

they're still '70 spec and shaped all wrong.  I'd rather they go back to this!

jake@aaroads.com

mobilene

I don't mind the 1970-spec shape that much, but it is fun to run into an older shield in the wild, like this one on old US 40 in Illinois someplace.

agentsteel53

excellent 40 - that style is getting harder and harder to find in Illinois.  I saw a couple 12s, 14s, and 20s in the Chicago area.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Jim, I've seen a few more of these up in the Calumet Region along I-80/94.  IIRC, they were for US-6 and maybe US-41 as well.  I suspect a contractor in Indiana is using them in lieu of having the proper shield.  Actually, if they added a black border, it'd be great, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheStranger

Quote from: Brandon on September 01, 2010, 04:46:43 PM
Jim, I've seen a few more of these up in the Calumet Region along I-80/94.  IIRC, they were for US-6 and maybe US-41 as well.  I suspect a contractor in Indiana is using them in lieu of having the proper shield.  Actually, if they added a black border, it'd be great, IMHO.

The black border is what improves a cutout US shield's contrast against no background - it'd obviously help in this instance.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on September 01, 2010, 05:24:07 PM

The black border is what improves a cutout US shield's contrast against no background - it'd obviously help in this instance.

yep, the original plan for the US shield in 1925 was to make it yellow for contrast, (especially in the snow) but then they realized a black outer border would do the job.

here's one example where people thought otherwise.  this design was in use from 1935-1949 or so

jake@aaroads.com

mukade

Quote from: Brandon on September 01, 2010, 04:46:43 PM
I suspect a contractor in Indiana is using them in lieu of having the proper shield.  Actually, if they added a black border, it'd be great, IMHO.

These aren't put up by a contractor. I first saw them last year in Delphi and Rossville. I seem to recall another non-US 421 one somewhere, but my memory is failing.

US71

Those remind me of Alt 69 in Oklahoma

And Bus 60

It also reminds me I need to go back for better photos  :camera:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

I've seen the ones for US 6 and US 35 and have photos of them.

There's also one for US 131 at that route's terminus at the Indiana Toll Road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Quote from: mobilene on September 01, 2010, 03:56:46 PM
While out for a drive a couple weeks ago on US 421 north of Indianapolis, I found some cutout US 421 shields in Carroll and Clinton Counties.  Looks like ones that belong on Interstate BGSs.

There is a set of shields similar to this on Scenic/Alternate US 412 at its junction with mainline US 412/Cherokee Turnpike in Delaware County, OK.  Unfortunately I don't have pictures.

mobilene

Mukade: That's right, Rossville and Delphi.
US71: Those OK shields are great!
Brandon: I've never been roadgeeking in the Calumet region; now maybe I have a reason to.

I found and uploaded my photos of the cutout 6/35 shields.

Cutout shields in Indiana by mobilene, on Flickr

And here's a better one of the Illinois 40, showing more context.

To 40 by mobilene, on Flickr

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mobilene on September 01, 2010, 06:52:39 PM
I found and uploaded my photos of the cutout 6/35 shields.

Wow, I've driven through that intersection hundreds of times, but not recently.  Thanks for that.

Have yet to see any of the cutout signs on 31, 50, or 150 in Southern Indiana.

Don't need to quote the images, especially in consecutive posts. -Ed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.