News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-15/Tropicana interchange rebuild

Started by Kniwt, October 01, 2015, 11:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 29, 2024, 04:08:54 AM
Quote from: mrsman on January 25, 2024, 07:11:51 PM
I would normally think that LV is a good market for HOT lanes because so many of the tourists have a high roller mentality and are willing to spend money.  But you can't go against the constitution.

Wait, why are there tourists on the freeways to begin with? Most of them don't leave the Strip the entire time they're there, and if they do it's to go to Fremont Street.

If they're driving up from California, the I-15 HOV lane isn't going to be of any use to them, since it doesn't access any of the Strip exits.

The new HOV interchange at Harmon Ave would be useful in this regard. With access only to/from the south and situated between Tropicana & Flamingo, it provides HOV access to the heart of the Strip (right at the City Center complex).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

heynow415

I would normally think that LV is a good market for HOT lanes because so many of the tourists have a high roller mentality and are willing to spend money.  But you can't go against the constitution.

If they're driving up from California, the I-15 HOV lane isn't going to be of any use to them, since it doesn't access any of the Strip exits.

The other issue would be that, unless Nevada used the same toll pass as California (Fastrak), drivers coming from CA wouldn't be able to use it anyway without getting a Nevada-specific toll pass.

mrsman

Quote from: heynow415 on January 29, 2024, 12:04:01 PM

The other issue would be that, unless Nevada used the same toll pass as California (Fastrak), drivers coming from CA wouldn't be able to use it anyway without getting a Nevada-specific toll pass.

The vast majority of Nevada's population lives relatively close to the CA border.  I think this is the main reason why a lot of CA practices for road signage seem to be adopted by NV as well.  I would imagine that if NV adopts a toll transponder, it should be compatible with Fastrak.

Ideally, all of North America should use the same type of transponder.

jdbx

Quote from: mrsman on January 31, 2024, 09:18:55 AM
Quote from: heynow415 on January 29, 2024, 12:04:01 PM

The vast majority of Nevada's population lives relatively close to the CA border.  I think this is the main reason why a lot of CA practices for road signage seem to be adopted by NV as well.  I would imagine that if NV adopts a toll transponder, it should be compatible with Fastrak.

MAP-21 was supposed to make this happen, but without any funding or enforcement mechanism, there seems to be little momentum to do so, at least here on the West Coast.

Scott5114

The vast majority of Nevada's population lives relatively close to the CA border.  I think this is the main reason why a lot of CA practices for road signage seem to be adopted by NV as well.

I think this is more to do with 1) the first signs in Nevada were supplied by ACSC and CSAA, the same organizations that provided signage in California, so the obvious evolution from those standards was the same on both sides of the state line, 2) California was the first to figure out how to do a whole bunch of stuff with freeway signage, so it was the obvious example to draw off of for a state that bordered it and 3) because California was such a large state, economies of scale meant it was cheaper to just buy the same things CA was buying.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

NV and CA standards are more different than you'd expect. The only real commonalities are the dominant style of overhead sign gantry, which is also an old design used in Hawaii, and the design of mile markers, which is also used to some degree in Ohio. Historically, both used the same type of guy-wired signal mast arm, but NV moved to their current standard a long time ago. And NV signs/markings are almost always pure MUTCD.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

NDOT posted this YouTube video recently, showing how traffic patterns at the 15/Trop interchange are going to be altered as they attempt to open up more capacity near Allegiant Stadium leading up to the Super Bowl, and subsequently perform "Dropicana 2.0" and move into the next major phase of construction.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SSR_317

Ideally, all of North America should ELIMINATE ALL TOLLED ROADS!

But I know that ain't gonna happen, as our governments just love to pass the costs of highways (and most everything else) down to the poorest people, all while giving huge tax breaks to the wealthy and corporate.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SSR_317 on February 17, 2024, 07:16:14 PM
Ideally, all of North America should ELIMINATE ALL TOLLED ROADS!
Amen!

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Plutonic Panda

For what? They're closing the entire stretch of the freeway just for the one interchange?

DenverBrian

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 17, 2024, 08:49:43 PM
For what? They're closing the entire stretch of the freeway just for the one interchange?
Define "entire stretch." This is from Flamingo to Russell Road.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 17, 2024, 09:37:24 PM
That would be the stretch shown in the graphic above.

DenverBrian

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 17, 2024, 09:47:12 PM
Part of it. The "stretch" shown as closed goes all the way to I-215/CC-215. But closure articles indicate only Russell Road to Flamingo.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 17, 2024, 10:44:40 PM
Part of it. The "stretch" shown as closed goes all the way to I-215/CC-215. But closure articles indicate only Russell Road to Flamingo.
I see that would make more sense.

roadfro

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 17, 2024, 10:44:40 PM

While it looks like the closure extends all the way to the 215, note that I-15 has C/D roads from Tropicana south toward the 215 and beyond, with the ramps between C/D roads and Russell to the south branching off the mainline near the 215 interchange. It appears I-15 access to Russell is maintained from the south. But to affect a closure of the I-15 mainline ends up involving closure of the 215 ramps to I-15 northbound (because there's nowhere else for that traffic to exit before Tropicana if they don't go to Russell).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.