Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

looks like january 2nd is the date of closure of 37. saw it on a sign on 465 yesterday.

ITB

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 21, 2020, 07:16:27 AM
looks like january 2nd is the date of closure of 37. saw it on a sign on 465 yesterday.

Yup. INDOT's I-69 Finish Line newsletter affirms that State Road 37 in Martinsville is "expected" to be closed January 2nd. Initially, I thought the closure would happen in March of 2021 because the ground would no longer be frozen. However, the closure of SR 37 in early January will allow crews to tear down the mainline bridges at the SR 37/SR 39 interchange as well as dig up and remove SR 37 pavement from the SR 39 interchange up to SR 37/Morgan Street crossing.

Link: INDOT I-69 Finish Line (December 21, 2020) https://i69finishline.com/news/on-track-update-december-21-2020/

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on December 21, 2020, 05:51:20 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 21, 2020, 07:16:27 AM

Yup. INDOT's I-69 Finish Line newsletter affirms that State Road 37 in Martinsville is "expected" to be closed January 2nd. Initially, I thought the closure would happen in March of 2021 because the ground would no longer be frozen. However, the closure of SR 37 in early January will allow crews to tear down the mainline bridges at the SR 37/SR 39 interchange as well as dig up and remove SR 37 pavement from the SR 39 interchange up to SR 37/Morgan Street crossing.

Link: INDOT I-69 Finish Line (December 21, 2020) https://i69finishline.com/news/on-track-update-december-21-2020/

Crews can perform demolition during the winter, and shift to constructing the new roadway and bridges when it gets warmer.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Bobby5280

The crews might even be able to get a jump on the earth moving and grading work during winter.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 21, 2020, 11:49:08 PM
The crews might even be able to get a jump on the earth moving and grading work during winter.

Very true. They can get a lot of the dirt work done, provided there isn't a lot of snow this winter.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

mgk920

ITB

Here's a trio of relatively recent "before" pictures of State Road 37 in Martinsville, Indiana. Photos were December 5, 2020, unless otherwise noted. Be sure to expand the photos for a better look.

State Road 37, Martinsville, Indiana

Looking north toward State Road 37 from near the SR 37/Industrial Drive crossing in Martinsville, Indiana. In the background is the recently completely overpass that carries Grand Valley Blvd. Further back is the SR 37/SR 252 intersection, and, at the crest of the hill, the SR 37/SR 44 intersection.

Slightly closer perspective of the above; looking north.

Closer perspective of the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass and the SR 37/SR 252 and SR 37/SR 44 intersections using the long range lens; looking north. Interchanges will be constructed at both SR 252 and SR 44.

The top two photos show about half of the scope of the Martinsville segment. From the SR 37/SR 44 intersection at the crest of the hill (pictured above), the segment extends another mile to the SR 37/Morgan Street crossing. In the other direction, the project stretches south-southwest to the SR 37/SR 39 interchange, which will be reconstructed, and then roughly another 3/4 mile to the bridges that cross Indian Creek.

tdindy88

I went with my father down to Evansville this past Monday for his birthday and drove for the last time in my life along the expressway section of SR 37 through Martinsville. It appears things are pretty much ready to go for the closure from what I've seen. Perhaps a bit more interesting further north was that we noticed most of the land being cleared out around County Line Road and SR 37 making room for the new exit there. It will be an interesting year coming up watching what happens but thankfully for traffic sakes I'll keep a wide berth from Martinsville as much as I can.

I get the feeling that Section 6 will indeed be as well done as Section 5 was. Despite the obvious problems with Section 5's construction that stretch of interstate does look and feel very nice. Compared with the first four sections of the highway anyway. Section 4 still looks quite nice but it's the first three sections that have already needed some new pavement in a few spots. I get more and more the sense that the first three sections were built very cheap for the sake of getting it done. That's why they went with the absolute bare minimum in terms of signage. I also have forgotten just how much of a bore part of the highway is. That stretch through Daviess County takes forever it seems. At least when you hit Oakland City you know Evansville isn't too far off and once you pass US 231 and head through the hills of Greene County you know you aren't too far from Bloomington and the "civilized" part of this interstate.

I don't remember if it's been mentioned yet but there's finally a new gas station at the Washington exit. A new Huck's station is just west of the exit off of US 50/150. Still I noticed that there and at the Countrymark station off of US 231 there were only a few toilets there. I would guess that in peak travel times there could be a wait for bathroom facilities at these two stations. I still feel a rest area, even one off of an exit such as at SR 58, could be a good idea. It could be small and simple and look like some of Indiana's newer rest areas with room for parking. But I know the traffic might still be a bit small to warrant it.

In addition, I can't believe that there's still that abandoned gas station off the Sample Road exit. I would think that such a facility could be useful for travelers since the land is already there. There's a bit of a gap in available pit stops north of Bloomington and in Martinsville now you have to travel off the beaten path to get to one.

One other observation I had was around Evansville. Again I may have mentioned this elsewhere or someone else did so I apologize if I'm repeating myself. I really think I-69 should be six lanes around Evansville. The traffic seemed pretty busy for a Monday midday. If we're going to have six lanes around Bloomington, Indianapolis, Anderson and Fort Wayne, why not Evansville? Most of the third lane could just fit in the median, I wouldn't imagine it'd be too different from what they did off of I-65 in Northwest Indiana. In my mind I see the six lane section starting at the point where the new I-69 bridge merges onto the present-day mainline and the interstate would be six lanes north all the way to at least Lynch Road, providing a modern looking freeway that could make Evansville look pretty good. In reality though I think the six lanes could work all the way north to I-64. And at some point we could just make the control cities Indianapolis and Henderson around Evansville.

Anyway that was all running through my head while traveling the interstate recently. I am looking forward to see how the Martinsville stuff goes in the coming days, weeks and months.

Flint1979

I drove that stretch of IN-37 when I drove down to Paducah, Kentucky a few weeks ago not even realizing that it'd be the last time I drove that stretch of IN-37.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 30, 2020, 08:29:49 AM
I went with my father down to Evansville this past Monday for his birthday and drove for the last time in my life along the expressway section of SR 37 through Martinsville. It appears things are pretty much ready to go for the closure from what I've seen. Perhaps a bit more interesting further north was that we noticed most of the land being cleared out around County Line Road and SR 37 making room for the new exit there. It will be an interesting year coming up watching what happens but thankfully for traffic sakes I'll keep a wide berth from Martinsville as much as I can.

I get the feeling that Section 6 will indeed be as well done as Section 5 was. Despite the obvious problems with Section 5's construction that stretch of interstate does look and feel very nice. Compared with the first four sections of the highway anyway. Section 4 still looks quite nice but it's the first three sections that have already needed some new pavement in a few spots. I get more and more the sense that the first three sections were built very cheap for the sake of getting it done. That's why they went with the absolute bare minimum in terms of signage. I also have forgotten just how much of a bore part of the highway is. That stretch through Daviess County takes forever it seems. At least when you hit Oakland City you know Evansville isn't too far off and once you pass US 231 and head through the hills of Greene County you know you aren't too far from Bloomington and the "civilized" part of this interstate.

I don't remember if it's been mentioned yet but there's finally a new gas station at the Washington exit. A new Huck's station is just west of the exit off of US 50/150. Still I noticed that there and at the Countrymark station off of US 231 there were only a few toilets there. I would guess that in peak travel times there could be a wait for bathroom facilities at these two stations. I still feel a rest area, even one off of an exit such as at SR 58, could be a good idea. It could be small and simple and look like some of Indiana's newer rest areas with room for parking. But I know the traffic might still be a bit small to warrant it.

In addition, I can't believe that there's still that abandoned gas station off the Sample Road exit. I would think that such a facility could be useful for travelers since the land is already there. There's a bit of a gap in available pit stops north of Bloomington and in Martinsville now you have to travel off the beaten path to get to one.

One other observation I had was around Evansville. Again I may have mentioned this elsewhere or someone else did so I apologize if I'm repeating myself. I really think I-69 should be six lanes around Evansville. The traffic seemed pretty busy for a Monday midday. If we're going to have six lanes around Bloomington, Indianapolis, Anderson and Fort Wayne, why not Evansville? Most of the third lane could just fit in the median, I wouldn't imagine it'd be too different from what they did off of I-65 in Northwest Indiana. In my mind I see the six lane section starting at the point where the new I-69 bridge merges onto the present-day mainline and the interstate would be six lanes north all the way to at least Lynch Road, providing a modern looking freeway that could make Evansville look pretty good. In reality though I think the six lanes could work all the way north to I-64. And at some point we could just make the control cities Indianapolis and Henderson around Evansville.

Anyway that was all running through my head while traveling the interstate recently. I am looking forward to see how the Martinsville stuff goes in the coming days, weeks and months.

Rest area:  There was a rest area in the original plan for I-69 close to the intersection with SR58, but it was dropped to save money.  I do believe that it should be revisited.

Gas station @ Sample Rd:  That gas station was open for most of the time that the construction was going on, but I guess just ran out of patience.

I-69 around Evansville:  When they built I-164 around Evansville, they did leave enough room for there to be an additional third lane in each direction in the middle.  From what I can tell, we aren't at the point that it would be needed traffic-wise, but I do believe that we could get there once the bridge is completed.  I am encouraged that even though their plans are for two lanes in each direction, the bridge is to be constructed to make it possible to be three lanes when needed.

Plutonic Panda

The more rest areas the better. Study after study shows driving tired is worse than driving impaired. Having more rest areas, well designed ones that are safe, should be more likely to entice drivers to take a break if needed. I don't have any data to back up my last statement so I wonder how true it is but I sure know anecdotally I'd appreciate them.

silverback1065

the portion from bloomington to eville is scary in terms of services, don't drive that on less than a full tank!

ITB

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 30, 2020, 08:29:49 AM

The owner of the station and INDOT were involved in litigation. It may be resolved or may still be ongoing. Don't know. Anyway, it's an ideal location for gas station/convenience store. I imagine we'll see some sort of facility there at some point, probably more food oriented than fuel.

On another tangent, I'm of the opinion the gas station as we know it today will disappear in the not too distant future. It's possible fuel cell vehicles, which require hydrogen, may extend the life of the station. But hydrogen-powered vehicles have yet to establish any kind of presence in the marketplace and may never do so.

ITB

Here's another batch of pictures. They were taken earlier this month, so best to get them posted before they become stale. Photos were taken December 5, 2020.

Section 6, Section 1, Martinsville, Indiana; aka the Martinsville Segment

Working on a Saturday to relocate a City of Martinsville water main near the State Road 37/Mahalasville Road-Ohio Street intersection; looking north. A sliver of SR 37 is visible in the background.

Closer perspective of the crew working on the water main; looking east. Photo was taken December 5, 2020. In the background is the new bridge that will carry Mahalasville Road over the rerouted Sartor Ditch.

Getting the job done in a wet, cold environment on a chilly December afternoon.

Another perspective of the work zone; looking east.

ITB

A few more pictures. Photos were taken December 20, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

I-69 Project; Section 6, Segment 1; Martinsville, Indiana

From near the State Road 37/Mahalasville Road-Ohio Street intersection, looking slightly northeast toward the new channel for the soon-to-be rerouted Sartor Ditch in Martinsville, Indiana. On the left is the current path of Sartor, as well as the twin culvert tubes which carry the stream underneath State Road 37 (expand the photo). A little more than 10 years ago, Sartor Ditch and Indian Creek, located a little to the east, flooded this area, severing State Road 37.

Looking north toward State Road 37/Mahalasville Road-Ohio Street intersection. In the mid-background (near the excavator) is the bridge that will carry Mahalasville Road over the rerouted Sartor Ditch. South of SR 37, this road is signed Mahalasville Road, while north of 37, in Martinsville proper, it's Ohio Street. Photo was taken December 5, 2020.

The new bridge that will carry Southview Drive over Sartor Ditch; looking north. Mahalasville Road is on the right and in the background is the SR 37/Mahalasville Road-Ohio Street intersection. At this intersection, an interchange will be construction, with I-69 going over Mahalasville Road-Ohio Street.

The box-like culvert structure that will carry Southview Drive over Sartor Ditch; looking west. It's officially a bridge as it's over 20 feet in length. INDOT and the FHWA consider any structure more than 20 feet a bridge. The bridge sections were prefabricated off site and brought in using 16 trucks. Hat tip to INDOT and the Section 6 team for the info.

Perspective showing the bridges that will carry Southview Drive (foreground) and Mahalasville Road over Sartor Ditch; looking northeast. State Road 37 is visible in the background left.

Pumps and tubing diverting the water of Sartor Ditch around the work zone of the new Southview Drive bridge; looking east. Note the water flowing from the pipe on the right.

Another view of the SR 37/Mahalasville Road-Ohio Street intersection; looking north. Even though road closure signs and barrels were in place, I guess this guy didn't notice.

ilpt4u

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 30, 2020, 02:26:59 PM
the portion from bloomington to eville is scary in terms of services, don't drive that on less than a full tank!
Hogwash. There are plenty of services available at the Washington US 50/150 exit. Sounds like the new Hucks is open now, but even before that, plenty of services either taking Old US 50 into town (pretty nice Casey's on the I-69 side of town right on Old US 50) in Washington or a mile or two east along the US 50/150 Bypass routing (another pretty nice Casey's, plus other Food/Fuel options, plus Wal-Mart)

I don't drive that route a lot, but I've driven it enough times to know that is the stopping point between Evansville and Bloomington

I can't believe that the City of Washington and/or its Chamber of Commerce doesn't pay INDOT to put up the Blue Logo signs for Gas/Food/Lodging services available in Washington at that exit

ITB

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 30, 2020, 10:10:18 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 30, 2020, 02:26:59 PM
Hogwash. There are plenty of services available at the Washington US 50/150 exit. Sounds like the new Hucks is open now, but even before that, plenty of services either taking Old US 50 into town (pretty nice Casey's on the I-69 side of town right on Old US 50) in Washington or a mile or two east along the US 50/150 Bypass routing (another pretty nice Casey's, plus other Food/Fuel options, plus Wal-Mart)

I don't drive that route a lot, but I've driven it enough times to know that is the stopping point between Evansville and Bloomington

I can't believe that the City of Washington and/or its Chamber of Commerce doesn't pay INDOT to put up the Blue Logo signs for Gas/Food/Lodging services available in Washington at that exit

To be fair, aside from the services available near the I-69/US 50/150 interchange, there's not all that much otherwise between Bloomington and Evansville along I-69. Except for very rural areas, drivers on interstates are accustomed to finding services at almost every interchange. Maybe it's only a single gas station, but it's usually there if needed. Along the long section of I-69 in southwest Indiana, that's not necessarily the case. There's the CountryMark at the I-69/US 231 interchange, but that's about it. There's nothing at the SR 58, SR 445, SR 56, or SR 64 interchanges. Yes, one can find services a couple of miles or so from these interchanges, for instance, in Odon, about three miles east of SR 58 interchange. But deviating off an interstate, particularly for those who are traveling through, is sometimes an anxious matter. We've all had that experience of needing gas and turning off on a road in hopes of finding a station only to discover the services are in the other direction. Better signage will help, and, in time, more services will be built as I-69 traffic increases.

Rothman

Nah.  You don't find services at every interstate interchange.  It's really not that far between Bloomington and Evansville.  I doubt many people would make the trek out there with a small enough amount of gas to make it worrisome.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Rothman on December 30, 2020, 11:26:43 PM
Nah.  You don't find services at every interstate interchange.  It's really not that far between Bloomington and Evansville.  I doubt many people would make the trek out there with a small enough amount of gas to make it worrisome.
No, but especially if/when I-69 is substantially completed to Memphis, or even to I-155 at Dyersburg, having some more exits with Rural Truck Stops will help make it a more Freight-Friendly route, especially with no Rest Areas

ITB

Fair enough. Not "every" interstate interchange, of course, but a very good number of them. What I was trying to express is that some drivers along I-69 in southern Indiana may find the availability of services rather, hmm, few and far between.

ITB

One last set of pictures. Photos were taken December 20, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

I-69 Project; Section 6, Segment 1; Martinsville, Indiana

Staging for work on a sewer project between Burton Lane and Mahalasville Road in Martinsville, Indiana; looking northeast. State Road 37 is on the left, but not quite visible. Southview Drive is on the right. Bear in mind that, in all likelihood, this is a Section 6 project, but there's a small possibility it isn't. I'll look into it.

Closer look of the sewer piping, section after section; looking northeast. While my knowledge of sewer infrastructure is rather limited, I believe the larger concrete sections are for a storm sewer, and the smaller aqua-green sections in the background, a sanitary sewer.

A row of very large articulated dump trucks at the work zone; looking east.

Another view of an articulated dump truck; looking northeast. State Road 37 is on the left.

Edit: Minor wording and grammar changes for readability.

tdindy88

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 30, 2020, 10:10:18 PM

Well there is now a blue logo sign up for that exit featuring the Huck's station, so maybe they can ask about filling the sign up with other businesses as well. Furthermore there a few billboards advertising the exit along the interstate. There was also another billboard advertising the gas station and Denny's in Oakland City at SR 64 a mile east of I-69. There was also another billboard advertising a gas station in Pike County about three miles south of I-69 at the junction of SR 56 and 61.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: ITB on December 31, 2020, 12:01:25 AM

Fair enough. Not "every" interstate interchange, of course, but a very good number of them. What I was trying to express is that some drivers along I-69 in southern Indiana may find the availability of services rather, hmm, few and far between.

I would stop at the Casey's in Washington, since I knew where it was, but to the regular interstate only traveler, it looked like a barren stop.  There really isn't much at all between Bloomington and Evansville (exit 10).  The US 231 exit, now Washington, and the IN-68 exit where Fruedenburg's station is 1/2 mile off the highway, but marked.  I know that Gibson County has been pushing for infrastructure at the IN-168 and IN-64 exits.  Haven't heard much from the next exit in Pike County, but that should be easier, since I-69 just misses Petersburg at IN-61.  Daviess County/Washington has put a lot of infrastructure where the Huck's is now located, and I would expect to see more go in there plus perhaps a motel or two in the next couple of years.  As soon as the road is marked from I-465 and the Ohio River bridge crossing is finalized and under construction, I'm sure we'll see the shovels moving.

Plutonic Panda

BTW, I know it's been, but thanks again for all these pictures. I wish we had more posters capturing construction pictures in their areas. Once I get my life in order I plan on doing just that for Oklahoma, Las Vegas, and Southern California.

Henry

So tomorrow's the last time you will be able to travel on IN 37 in its current configuration...and then, the road will be closed for the I-69 conversion. Hopefully as soon as that is completed, then the focus will turn to the Ohio River bridge and its approaches.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.