News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 08:55:58 AM
If we're gonna go for an uncontroversial name, might as well go for a fictional character.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by Rothman - Today at 08:54:47 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on Today at 01:11:07 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 09, 2024, 01:38:59 PMThere's no ROW there except for the power lines. There is absolutely no way you can put a freeway there.

I respectfully disagree.  Agree that there is no room there now, but
the four 230 kVA lines are carried by lattice steel pylons that date
to the 1960's or maybe 1950's, and form a "beltway" of those lines
across Montgomery County and Prince George's County.  I think it may
be possible (if the old pylons will be replaced) to move the structures
that carry the phase conductors ("wires") to both sides of the
right-of-way and put a road down the middle, where the transmission
line pylons are now. PEPCo has very recently added a new line (looks
like 230 kVA) on steel poles the edge of that same right-of-way (while
keeping the old pylons) north of Gaithersburg (which crosses I-270
between Watkins Mill Road and Middlebrook Road) which is right up
against the trees.

I-81 Viaduct Project had issues with a utility company refusing to let NYSDOT touch a huge high-pressure gas line.

The idea that a utility company would approve of such a massive relocation and ROW taking seems like a huge stretch that enters the realm of fantasy.
Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 08:52:06 AM
Quote from: In_Correct on Today at 01:42:18 AMTime for this discussion to be locked ?! If any body is concerned about tax dollars being wasted, perhaps they should be concerned that their tax dollars are paying for D.O.T. Employees to hijack discussions, spread narratives and other oppositions, for the most childish of reasons. Keep your toxic attitudes off of here AND the roads.

Last I checked, DOT employees were still allowed to have a sense of humor, just like other human beings. But, thank you for the reminder that there are indeed people that do not detect irony, sarcasm, lightheartedness, or nuance out there.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by carbaugh2 - Today at 08:20:02 AM
This is the final post of DrivingAroundNC videos, and it covers all of the construction east of Lumberton while driving US 74 West. Since it is a long video, I have included approximate time stamps for each of the projects.

1:03:00 - Lake Waccamaw grade separation and interchange
1:29:00 - Boardman interchange (now open)
1:31:00 - NC 72/NC 130 interchange

On a side note, I think NCDOT did a solid job of working around the gas station at Boardman. It appears to be just as visible along the road as before the interchange, as least from my recollection of vacation trips.
Last post by Rothman - Today at 08:16:27 AM
Quote from: ixnay on Today at 07:57:35 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2024, 07:15:31 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2024, 10:02:30 PMBut as Alex said, there's no word on when the new bridge will have a different name, so let's just assume that it'll also be called the Key Bridge.

It would be funny if they named it after John Locke.

Why?

It's not that funny, but think about it.
Last post by carbaugh2 - Today at 08:11:27 AM
Here are a few videos of the Rockingham Bypass interchange from the last couple of months submitted by DrivingAroundNC.

In this one, he takes 74 East and exits onto 74 Business to visit Rockingham. Cue it to 25:00 if you are short on time.

Around 40 minutes, the driver travels through the Rockingham Bypass interchange on 74 on the way to Laurinburg. For those who want to see US 74 become an interstate, you can see all of the work that needs to happen west of Rockingham in this one.

Based on the videos, it looks like the majority of the remaining work on the bypass is connecting 73/74 between 220 and US 74.
Last post by carbaugh2 - Today at 08:02:13 AM
I came across a few more videos from the YouTube channel DrivingAroundNC showing various locations of Future I-74 construction, and I am going to post them separately based on the area visited. This one is from mid-April and shows the Beltway interchange with 52 near the 29-minute mark. The driver stays on 52, so we are getting a different view than other recent videos of the area.

Last post by ixnay - Today at 07:57:35 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2024, 07:15:31 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2024, 10:02:30 PMBut as Alex said, there's no word on when the new bridge will have a different name, so let's just assume that it'll also be called the Key Bridge.

It would be funny if they named it after John Locke.

Why?
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 07:46:31 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on Today at 04:28:55 AMHalf guide sign, half assembly in Grayling MI.  What the... ??

Supplemental signage, I would have to guess.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by wanderer2575 - Today at 04:28:55 AM
Half guide sign, half assembly in Grayling MI.  What the... ??

During roadwork projects with lane configuration changes, Michigan usually doesn't fabricate temporary overhead signs but instead jury-rigs the existing signs in attempts to make them fit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.