News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2021, 09:13:08 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 14, 2021, 02:32:55 PM
Kernals12:
Lots of people say they like cold winters. But if we analyze things closely we see that the consensus among humans is that cold is bad, and even among plants and animals there is that same consensus.

When we ignore someone, we are "giving them the cold shoulder"
When two countries have poor relations, we describe those relations as "frosty"
When we say someone has a "cold personality" or is "cold hearted", we don't mean it positively
House Stark urged vigilance among its members by saying "Winter is coming"

This is not a coincidence, people have shown a clear preference for warm weather in surveys and in their migration patterns.

And plants and animals agree. In winter, not summer, trees shed their leaves and animals hibernate or migrate south. The Amazon Rainforest is teeming with biodiversity while Siberia is a barren wasteland.
I couldn't help but think of that quote given how the heat wave is affecting trees and other plants.

His Reddit stuff gets ripped apart mercilessly, especially when he advocates global warming.  Truly a bizarre individual who can't hack it in a little bit of cold weather (nor negotiate a sidewalk without tripping).  He can have all the 100-110F days I sat through when my air conditioning was down last month.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 14, 2021, 09:41:40 PM
Kernals12:
Lots of people say they like cold winters. But if we analyze things closely we see that the consensus among humans is that cold is bad, and even among plants and animals there is that same consensus.

When we say someone has a "cold personality" or is "cold hearted", we don't mean it positively

This is not a coincidence, people have shown a clear preference for warm weather in surveys and in their migration patterns.

And plants and animals agree. In winter, not summer, trees shed their leaves and animals hibernate or migrate south. The Amazon Rainforest is teeming with biodiversity while Siberia is a barren wasteland.
I couldn't help but think of that quote given how the heat wave is affecting trees and other plants.

His Reddit stuff gets ripped apart mercilessly, especially when he advocates global warming.  Truly a bizarre individual who can't hack it in a little bit of cold weather (nor negotiate a sidewalk without tripping).  He can have all the 100-110F days I sat through when my air conditioning was down last month.
Oh goodness.

Roadgeekteen

Kernals12:

He's a bit crazy. Who advocates for global warming?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 14, 2021, 09:57:10 PM
Kernals12:

He's a bit crazy. Who advocates for global warming?

Some men aren't looking for anything logical... 

Takumi

Rothman's years-long crusade against Olive Garden.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Takumi on July 15, 2021, 12:20:17 AM
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Quote from: Takumi on July 15, 2021, 12:20:17 AM
But how?

jmacswimmer

From a thread originally titled "Why is I-71, I-76, I-78, I-79 so small", later renamed to "71":

Quote from: KingAngeloTheGreat on August 08, 2020, 08:49:13 PM
Why are those highways so small I love those highways but they're so small. Why is that?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 15, 2021, 01:53:23 PM
From a thread originally titled "Why is I-71, I-76, I-78, I-79 so small", later renamed to "71":

Quote from: KingAngeloTheGreat on August 08, 2020, 08:49:13 PM
Why are those highways so small I love those highways but they're so small. Why is that?

"71"  was something Angelo would modify a lot of his more memorable posts to after they went south on him.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2021, 09:38:47 PM
Pittsburgh too.  But they're only official for city planning and zoning purposes, as well as for determining acceptable sandwich toppings. They are not official for maps, government usage, census data collection, or pirate-hat subsidies.

And now that is my favorite quote of yours!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Got a new one, regarding Hawaii:

Quote from: FritzOwl on July 15, 2021, 12:09:21 AM
I am surprised they do not build bdidges now between all the islands
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 04:01:37 PM
Got a new one, regarding Hawaii:

Quote from: FritzOwl on July 15, 2021, 12:09:21 AM
I am surprised they do not build bdidges now between all the islands

A simple application of Coat to Cost would fix that right quick. 

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 03:24:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2021, 09:38:47 PM
Pittsburgh too.  But they're only official for city planning and zoning purposes, as well as for determining acceptable sandwich toppings. They are not official for maps, government usage, census data collection, or pirate-hat subsidies.

And now that is my favorite quote of yours!
Just keep in mind that I copied that text from the wiki... which itself had been copied from one of Scott's (I think) posts in the Alanland thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I remember making Alanland jokes on a few occasions that were basically making fun of what a mess the counties of England are.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Forgot this series of posts:

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2011, 10:25:13 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on July 16, 2011, 10:17:55 PM
Quote from: deanej on July 15, 2011, 12:22:13 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on July 14, 2011, 07:56:40 PMThey can be cited for failure to obey a traffic control device, wreckless driving, etc. The problem is non-commercial drivers are oblivious that their vehicles could possibly hit anything, so when they get in one of those big-box rental trucks, they don't even consider clearance signs. It's just not something you would notice. Until the top of the truck gets ripped open like a sardine can.
I know we have some stupid laws, but I'm pretty sure that making it mandatory for people to total their cars is not one of them.
I have to ask exactly where you got the implication that wreckless driving would be for avoiding hitting the bridge. It'd be the safe, smart thing to do to avoid hitting the obstruction. It would be wreckless driving because they obviously ignored any and all warning signs about the impending trouble. In addition, they were driving a vehicle, then, that they did not know the dimensions, limitation, or constraints it imposed. Being that they were just driving along like they did in the 5' tall sedan.

As for average height of truck, that'd be hard to say. Anything over 26,000 pounds qualifies to the government as a 'truck'. As for tractor-trailers, the national maximum before needing a permit for a single trailer is 13'6 tall, 102" wide, 73' long combined. That's on STAA routes (mainly non-exempt interstates, and any approved road in any state). Each state, then, has their own limits and exceptions. Some allow long doubles, some allow triples. Some allow longer trailers. Some allow higher weights. Some allow taller trailers (Kansas is 14' before you need a permit, for instance). Most western states have a 48' trailer limit except on STAA routes (and normal access to/from). Some states have limits on kingpin to rear axle distance. California being the stickler with any trailer longer than 48' requiring a 40' kingpin to rear-axle setting on ANY road in the state.

Michigan allows the 'Michigan sleds' with 160,000 lb limits on what seems like an eight axle trailer. Washington and Oregon (I believe) allow 57' trailers with 3 or 4 axles. Most mountain states out west allow "Rocky Mountain Doubles", that being a moderate length trailer (approx 30' or so) followed by a long dolly and a short pup trailer (26' or less) to handle tighter mountain roads where a 40'+ trailer just can't maneuver.

As for height, there really isn't a standard height in the country. The interstates were built to generally handle 13'6 (except the tunnels on the east coast, namely New York and Norfolk), otherwise 13'6 fits everywhere. And that's what the manufacturers have decided as the defacto standard limit. But each state can set their own standard higher before requiring a special permit.

you made a typo!  :-D
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

I'm going to assume that "wreckless driving" is what Crash_It does up until the point where he inevitably lives up to his name.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on July 17, 2021, 10:44:07 AM
I'm going to assume that "wreckless driving" is what Crash_It does up until the point where he inevitably lives up to his name.

Outstanding.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2021, 09:25:40 AM

Quote from: kernals12 on July 28, 2021, 07:40:18 AM
It is remarkable how the "equity" crowd dispenses with facts that don't fit their worldview

Pot, meet kettle...
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

As a native of Louisiana, I find this exchange hilarious:

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2014, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 27, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
I found this just off of US 165 in Monroe, LA near the ULM campus. However, it belonged to a tree cutting company by the same name repairing tornado damage at a nearby house. I thought LA DOTD had a sense of humor.

Most people would think it was a typo for "caution".
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

SkyPesos

Not my favorite, just another ridiculous and funny one like the others I posted:
Quote from: SafeSpeederActually I am tempted to drive in those states just to increase the climate change around the area, so the next storms are more severe and wash away all the weirdo law makers.

snowc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 15, 2021, 01:34:27 AM
Every post by Rothman or NE2.
Quote from: Rothman date=1617737136
Tullys... Where the televisions drown you out.  :rofl:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 05, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
Not my favorite, just another ridiculous and funny one like the others I posted:
Quote from: SafeSpeederActually I am tempted to drive in those states just to increase the climate change around the area, so the next storms are more severe and wash away all the weirdo law makers.

Makes one wonder if SafeSpeeder and Kernals12 are the same person?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2021, 03:40:58 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 05, 2021, 03:14:59 PM

Makes one wonder if SafeSpeeder and Kernals12 are the same person?

I was wondering the same thing. While he was definitely a troll, I'm leaning toward not a sock (after all, bicyclehazard wasn't a sock, as far as we know). SafeSpeeder never mentioned public transit even once, and the two users never interacted with each other.

It's worth checking IPs for this one, unlike some of the other recent sock accusations.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.