News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

International Cuisines

Started by jgb191, September 27, 2022, 02:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgb191

Does anyone have a favorite international cuisine item(s) that they like?

My typical go to lunch is my homemade hand-held Mexican food like street tacos and quesadillas.  But I also like enchiladas, burritos rancheros, fajitas, flautas, tortilla soup.

Indian/South Asian:  I like Northern Indian cuisine which is Butter Chicken, Samosas, Mattar Pullao, Rotis/Chapatis.  Other regional Indian dishes I like also but Northern Indian food is the best.

Western Asian/Middle Eastern: Biryani, Chicken Kabobs, Naan bread, Shawarma

East Asian: I've never had real Chinese food, just your typical Americanized Chinese and Indo-Chinese; I also like Thai Chili Basil dish, Thai fried rice, crispy spring rolls; Korean barbecue is good too.

The only Italian I like are pizza and bruschetta.

The only African dish I've had was Jollof Rice.

Caribbean:  I like Arroz con Pollo, Jerk Chicken, Doubles, Jamaican Curry Chicken.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

kphoger

For Mexican food, just give me a plate of beans and rice, plus some salsa and tortillas.  Simple, cheap, filling, and I love it.  Swap out the rice for fried eggs, and it's good too.  If you feel like it, throw some extra goodies in with the rice or eggs:  diced potatoes, bits of leftover hot dog, onion, diced tomato, a crumbled-up hamburger patty, whatever you need to get rid of.

When it comes to Italian food, I'm a sucker for gnocchi.  For a quick lunch at home, though, we often opt for frozen tortellini and some pesto.

For Middle Eastern food, I like things wrapped in little packets, such as cabbage rolls.  That kind of thing can also be found in many Eastern European cuisines and East Asian cuisines as well, and I generally like them all.

No French food beats a good old pain au chocolat–a croissant with chocolate inside.

But, to answer this question in a different way...  When I read "international cuisines", I first through of foods that blend two different countries' cuisines together.

For Tex-Mex, I like burritos, and I also like burrito bowls.

For Chinese-American food, I especially like chicken cooked in garlic sauce or General Tso's sauce, and I also like the meat-on-a-stick things you can find at Chinese buffets.  Also, I like the way Chinese buffets cook green beans.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

A sampling:

Mexican - Anything with Mole
Central American At Large - Pupusas
Caribbean At Large - Bake & Shark
Peruvian - Ají de Gallina
Argentinian - Churrasco con Chimichurri
Spanish - Boquerones
French - Sole Meunière
German/Austrian - Jägerschnitzel
Italian - Cacio e Pepe
Turkish - Iksender Kabob
Georgian - Satsivi
Russian - Ostera Caviar
Lithuanian - Cepelinai
Moroccan - Pastilla
North African At Large - Shakshouka
Ethiopian - Kittfo
Indian - Lamb Korma
Burmese - Mohingga
Thai - Pananh Curry
Malaysian - Laksa
Indonesian - Rendang
Filipino - Sisig
Japanese - Uni
Chinese - Lazi Ji
Polynesian - Ota Ika

kirbykart

I've tried baba ghanoush once and hated it.

bing101

I heard stuff that the  Mexican Food in the United States was born in Southern California and Texas + the Chinese food in the USA was born in the Bay Area and Sacramento areas.

https://www.nps.gov/places/locke-historic-district.htm
Some of the food we say is Chinese Food have some of their origins in Locke, California during the Gold Rush era.
This is like "Filipino Food" some of their origins came from other countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Spain, Japan and the United States before landing in the Philippines.
Case and point Lechon some of it's origins came from Spain before going to Philippines.

https://foodicles.com/lechon-history/

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bing101 on September 28, 2022, 10:00:04 AM
I heard stuff that the  Mexican Food in the United States was born in Southern California and Texas + the Chinese food in the USA was born in the Bay Area and Sacramento areas.

https://www.nps.gov/places/locke-historic-district.htm
Some of the food we say is Chinese Food have some of their origins in Locke, California during the Gold Rush era.
This is like "Filipino Food" some of their origins came from other countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Spain, Japan and the United States before landing in the Philippines.
Case and point Lechon some of it's origins came from Spain before going to Philippines.

https://foodicles.com/lechon-history/

But Lechon tastes way better when you're eating it with your feet in Boracay sand.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on September 27, 2022, 02:28:08 PM
When it comes to Italian food, I'm a sucker for gnocchi.

My wife and I tried making this at home, and it's probably one of the most time-consuming things we've ever prepared. It was a hit with the kids, so they asked us to make it again...which was the last time. Getting the little lumps of potato to stick to the pasta meant lots of waiting. Now we get pre-packaged gnocchi, but it's a rare treat because of all the added salt.

So we'll also get it in Italian restaurants when it's available. Given how much the average American enjoys potatoes, I used to be quite surprised that it's not more common...but now I understand why, after trying our hand at its preparation.

skluth

My favorite international food is fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls with a good peanut sauce, usually called Goi cuon on the menu. They're an appetizer but I've had them as my main meal on occasion. Other international foods I love include Italian fried calamari, Indian tandoori chicken, Southeast Asian lemongrass chicken, Korean fusion fish tacos, Middle Eastern kabobs, Greek gyros, Spanish garlic chicken, and any decent Mexican with a good mole sauce.

bing101

https://foodicles.com/halo-halo-history/
Halo Halo a desert in the Philippines have some of it's origins in Japan and Mexico.

Bruce

A few of my favorite dishes, sorted by region of origin:

Chinese: Hot pot with beef
Japanese: Udon, gyoza, yakitori (grilled chicken skewers), sashimi, manju (rice flour buns), daifuku (rice cakes), taiyaki (fish-shaped cake)
Korean: Bibimpbap (rice bowl in a hot stone pot), gimbpa, kalbi (marinated beef short ribs), jajangmyeon (black bean noodles), japchae (sweet potato noodles), samgyeopsal (pork belly), hoppang (red bean buns)
Thai: Red curry, especially with roast duck
Vietnamese - Phở Bò (beef pho)

Will have to think of more later.

Road Hog

Is there anywhere you can get a Döner Kebab on the street in America like you can in Germany? Best street food ever.

kphoger

Quote from: Road Hog on September 28, 2022, 10:16:27 PM
Is there anywhere you can get a Döner Kebab on the street in America like you can in Germany? Best street food ever.

...excluding Mövenpick...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I heard stuff that the  Mexican Food in the United States was born in Southern California and Texas

The border region in general.  Of course, California and Texas account for a lot of that border.  Nachos and burritos both have origin stories/legends that feature border cities–technically the Mexican side, but the popularity of them spread throughout the US before getting any real foothold in Mexico.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

I'm a sucker for most Asian food, but especially Asian seafood dishes. When I go to a restaurant, I always like seeing a dish on the menu that includes a mix of various sea meats, or even just sea meats. Also, everyone should try shrimp tempura at least once in their life.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

CNGL-Leudimin

For me Spanish omelette, paella, cured ham, etc. aren't international. Instead, Chicago-style pizza, the various BBQ styles, grits, etc. are. It depends on where one is located.
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 27, 2022, 02:41:58 PM
A sampling:

Spanish - Boquerones

Nice choice. I wouldn't have expected that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 30, 2022, 04:07:50 PM
Chicago-style pizza

Really?  You can actually find true Chicago-style pizza over there?  That surprises me.
Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

I said that as an example of American food (which for me is "international"), that doesn't mean it is available in my area (and it isn't).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 29, 2022, 02:38:44 PM
I heard stuff that the  Mexican Food in the United States was born in Southern California and Texas

The border region in general.  Of course, California and Texas account for a lot of that border.  Nachos and burritos both have origin stories/legends that feature border cities–technically the Mexican side, but the popularity of them spread throughout the US before getting any real foothold in Mexico.

And it's better the closer you are to the border. The Mexican food in Oklahoma is pretty good, but my wife always said it couldn't hold a candle to the stuff she had growing up in Chula Vista CA, just a few miles from Tijuana... And the best Mexican food I've ever had was a little family place in Port Aransas TX that had an elementary-school kid running the register. (Meanwhile, the worst Mexican food I've ever had was in Johnson County KS.)

I'm curious what the Mexican food scene is like in Las Vegas–it's pretty far from the border distance-wise, but ⅓ of the city identifies as Hispanic/Latino on the 2020 census, so there's bound to be something good somewhere, I would think.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

andrepoiy

Yeah, most Chinese restaurants outside of heavily-Chinese areas are American-Chinese restaurants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chinese_cuisine). Even in Canada, you can find Chinese restaurants serving that kind of food in small towns where there is basically next to no Chinese population.

Given that I grew up in a Toronto suburb with a lot of Chinese people, (and so a lot of restaurants are authentic) I didn't even know American-Chinese food was a thing until I started to travel a lot within Ontario, and noticed these Chinese restaurants in small towns.

Road Hog

For what it's worth, I see a lot of China natives working at these "Chinese-American" restaurants, a lot of Thai natives working at Thai-American restaurants, a lot of Vietnamese working at pho places, etc. The menu is probably bastardized but it's not like Bubba's out back grilling General Tso's Chicken in a smoker.

Takumi

I can think of only one Chinese restaurant that I've been to that wasn't run by native/ethnic Chinese people. It was run by a Mexican family instead. It wasn't open long, but they re-opened as a Mexican restaurant shortly after and has been much more successful.

It's not unheard of for people of other ethnicities or countries to run restaurants of different origin. While it's not as drastic a difference as Mexican/Chinese, I've been to several Italian restaurants that were run by Greeks, and one run by Guatemalans.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Ironically, however, the most sure-fire way to tell a Chinese buffet is good is that it's where all the Mexicans go.
Male pronouns, please.

andrepoiy

Quote from: Takumi on October 03, 2022, 05:40:49 PM
I can think of only one Chinese restaurant that I've been to that wasn't run by native/ethnic Chinese people. It was run by a Mexican family instead. It wasn't open long, but they re-opened as a Mexican restaurant shortly after and has been much more successful.

It's not unheard of for people of other ethnicities or countries to run restaurants of different origin. While it's not as drastic a difference as Mexican/Chinese, I've been to several Italian restaurants that were run by Greeks, and one run by Guatemalans.

A lot of Vietnamese and Thai restaurants in Canada are run by Chinese people, that's something I've noticed.

Bruce

Koreans run a lot of Japanese and Chinese restaurants in Seattle area and are responsible for widespread use of Seattle-style teriyaki (which was invented by a Japanese chef in Seattle).

Bruce

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.