News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why was K-14 removed from Sego Road

Started by roadman65, September 20, 2021, 09:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was wondering why K-14 which never used to enter Hutchinson, now took over former K-11 south of South Hutchinson to US 54/ 400, while the original alignment between Arlington and Nickerson is now a county maintained roadway and south of K-61 it's is K-17 now.
https://goo.gl/maps/LnBPEXN6vAnEWt8Z7
Google still has it shown along Sego Road though it's been removed many years ago
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

apeman33

Kansas will often build new roads in exchange for the country taking over maintenance of other roads. In this case, what used to be K-14 was turned over to the counties when the K-96 bypass of Hutchinson was constructed. It's likely there will be some more turnover once the planned Nickerson-Sterling bypass is constructed.

In order to keep K-14 continuous, K-14 was moved to take over K-17. And there was apparently still a need to connect Kingman to Arlington in KDOT's mind, so the old K-14 was renumbered to K-11.

I didn't feel the realignment of K-14 was necessary and if you're going to go to Lyons via marked routes, you're going a long way out of the way now. But that's how KDOT does a lot of things, in great part because if the mileage limit it has. In order to construct new road, it frequently has to surrender old road in order to stay under the limit.

route56

Quote from: apeman33 on September 27, 2021, 10:59:42 PM
Kansas will often build new roads in exchange for the country taking over maintenance of other roads. In this case, what used to be K-14 was turned over to the counties when the K-96 bypass of Hutchinson was constructed.

The Sego Road section of K-14 was turned back in consideration for the 4-lane K-61 between Hutchinson and McPherson. The K-96 bypass of Hutchinson dates back to 2002.

Quote from: apeman33 on September 27, 2021, 10:59:42 PM
It's likely there will be some more turnover once the planned Nickerson-Sterling bypass is constructed.

I haven't heard of any consideration for turning back any additional highways (other than the current K-14/K-96 alignment)

Quote from: apeman33 on September 27, 2021, 10:59:42 PMIn order to keep K-14 continuous, K-14 was moved to take over K-17. And there was apparently still a need to connect Kingman to Arlington in KDOT's mind, so the old K-14 was renumbered to K-11.

Don't forget that KDOT initially re-routed K-14 over K-61

iPhone
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

2013 thread on K-14 turnback and related numbering changes

Sego Road still has a 65 limit, which is allowed for county highways under Kansas law despite 55 being the default limit for county roads.  (The one specific example I know of that is posted 65 without ever having been on the state highway system is in Kearny County.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

As far as distance, the county road is the shortest way between Kingman and Lyons. 

Yes look at Lawrence with Sixth Street West of US 59 and east of K-10 being turned over to the city now making US 40 a longer alignment in the city.  So yes I see the KDOT way is not the best way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

KS likes to build new alignments and alienate the towns or areas that the old alignment heretofore travelled.

bugo

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 15, 2021, 02:46:14 PM
KS likes to build new alignments and alienate the towns or areas that the old alignment heretofore travelled.

Better that than force drivers to go through slow small towns with traffic lights and speed traps. It also keeps huge trucks out of town.

brad2971

Quote from: roadman65 on October 26, 2021, 12:14:35 AM
As far as distance, the county road is the shortest way between Kingman and Lyons. 

Yes look at Lawrence with Sixth Street West of US 59 and east of K-10 being turned over to the city now making US 40 a longer alignment in the city.  So yes I see the KDOT way is not the best way.

KDOT can quite easily solve that one by giving the remaining section of US40 between K-4 and K-10 to Douglas and Shawnee Counties, and then rerouting US40 onto I-70/Kansas Turnpike the rest of the way to Kansas City. And before you all get into "Wait, what about the need for a free US highway alternative to the Turnpike?", US24, US56, even I-35 to Emporia are all available to fill that duty.

yakra

Quote from: brad2971 on November 17, 2021, 07:25:06 AM
KDOT can quite easily solve that one by giving the remaining section of US40 between K-4 and K-10 to Douglas and Shawnee Counties, and then rerouting US40 onto I-70/Kansas Turnpike the rest of the way to Kansas City. And before you all get into "Wait, what about the need for a free US highway alternative to the Turnpike?", US24, US56, even I-35 to Emporia are all available to fill that duty.
US 64 & 412 in OK say hi.

Another option that keeps US40 free is to send it up US75 & overlap US24.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.