News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite decades

Started by bandit957, August 12, 2020, 08:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

When I first started seeing websites advertised on TV commercials, I thought it was ridiculous.

Why would anybody prefer to shop from their computer instead of actually going to the store? I thought.

What possible purpose could anyone have in visiting a restaurant's website? I thought.

My prediction:  This will never catch on.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

I didn't think DVD's would ever catch on.

Did CD's ever fully catch on? I kind of skipped from vinyl to YouTube.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kevinb1994

Quote from: bandit957 on September 03, 2020, 11:46:59 AM
I didn't think DVD's would ever catch on.

Yes, well, at least for some time, it did.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on September 03, 2020, 11:46:59 AM

I have a week (=168 hours) of music on my computer. Almost all of it is from CDs.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

CDs were king when I was at that age.  Now so many have either been lost or scratched that I don't think they were the best medium.  I have mix tapes that lasted longer than the CDs I used to make them.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

I have records I got 40 years ago that are almost like new. I don't think a CD will last that long.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

The lifetime of a music CD is longer than the time between the first CD (1982) and now. They only stop functioning if they are damaged or not kept properly.

I recently added some CDs to my computer that were labeled as being from West Germany. No problems at all. One of the CD cases from 1986 told you how to take care of your CD. However, I have to use an external disc drive – my laptop doesn't come with a CD drive.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

My wife and I still listen to CDs on road trips.  Our present car has a six-disc changer.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2020, 09:17:03 AM
I have a feeling the "stay home if you have any symptoms" thing will fade more quickly, as employees start running out of PTO and employers start getting tired of finding people to cover shifts due to runny noses and coughs.

As for masks, remember that a large part of the country is still vocally opposed to them.  Maybe that will stick around in some areas, but I highly suspect mask use will drop off precipitously once they're no longer government-recommended.

My hope is that the two of these will combine to make a societal expectation that if you're feeling sick with a cold or a flu, that you wear a mask to protect others in your social circle from catching it. But as you said, we can't even get people to wear them to protect from a potentially deadly disease, so that's probably just a fantasy.

On the other hand, as an executive at my company, I can tell people who show up to work sick that they have to go home if they won't wear a mask. So at least my company won't be getting everyone sick.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 03, 2020, 12:53:32 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2020, 09:17:03 AM
I have a feeling the "stay home if you have any symptoms" thing will fade more quickly, as employees start running out of PTO and employers start getting tired of finding people to cover shifts due to runny noses and coughs.

As for masks, remember that a large part of the country is still vocally opposed to them.  Maybe that will stick around in some areas, but I highly suspect mask use will drop off precipitously once they're no longer government-recommended.

My hope is that the two of these will combine to make a societal expectation that if you're feeling sick with a cold or a flu, that you wear a mask to protect others in your social circle from catching it. But as you said, we can't even get people to wear them to protect from a potentially deadly disease, so that's probably just a fantasy.

On the other hand, as an executive at my company, I can tell people who show up to work sick that they have to go home if they won't wear a mask. So at least my company won't be getting everyone sick.

I'm not sure...  I imagine it's more likely that people with the sniffles will pretend they aren't sick at all, rather than wear a mask and risk their boss sending them home.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

I hope we get more people who say "I don't feel great, but I am well enough to work from home." 

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 03, 2020, 01:48:48 PM
I hope we get more people who say "I don't feel great, but I am well enough to work from home." 

Probably.  That scenario wouldn't work in my case, but I'm sure it would for plenty of others.  In my case, I had to have my whole computer and desk papers dropped off on my front porch when we were home-quarantined.  There are a few people who have a computer at home that can be used for work, but not everyone gets that advantage.  There are security systems, VPN logins, etc to worry about.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

But, will you put that policy in writing in a company handbook so employees will know what the expectations are? And will you require them to take a paid day off, or give them an extra sick day, if they don't want to burn a sick day because they have a cold?

I certainly wouldn't want to burn a sick day if I just had the sniffles, or otherwise felt good enough to work. I've gone to work with a cold plenty of times during my life, and try to miss only if I truly don't feel like it.

And as soon as the mask requirements at work, or the governmental orders for general use, are dropped, I'll no longer be wearing one. I won't pass judgment on anyone who continues to do so when not required.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

-I still buy CDs whenever possible. Not that it's possible that often anymore.

-I remember being about 9 years old and saying "the internet is overrated" . Probably the most wrong about something I've ever been.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2020, 05:49:46 PM

But, will you put that policy in writing in a company handbook so employees will know what the expectations are? And will you require them to take a paid day off, or give them an extra sick day, if they don't want to burn a sick day because they have a cold?

I certainly wouldn't want to burn a sick day if I just had the sniffles, or otherwise felt good enough to work. I've gone to work with a cold plenty of times during my life, and try to miss only if I truly don't feel like it.

Who said he would force you to stay home?  He said that would only happen if you refused to wear a mask.  Problem easily solved.

As for company expectations being in a handbook...  Would they have to be?  Could it not simply be a memo sent out to existing employees, or communicated verbally?  I've worked for companies that didn't even give me employee handbook.  Somehow people still knew what was expected.

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2020, 05:49:46 PM
And as soon as the mask requirements at work, or the governmental orders for general use, are dropped, I'll no longer be wearing one. I won't pass judgment on anyone who continues to do so when not required.

Which is a perfectly respectable position.  I'll probably do the same, although I might continue their use in situations that I consider to be especially high-risk.  But I know plenty of people who have or are related to someone who has a compromised immune system–both at work and at church–to make me not begrudge anyone their choice to either (a) continue wearing masks after I think they're no longer advantageous or else (b) request me to do so when I'm around them.

Quote from: Takumi on September 03, 2020, 08:58:33 PM
-I remember being about 9 years old and saying "the internet is overrated" . Probably the most wrong about something I've ever been.

Not only did I predict the Internet wouldn't catch on but, when my class play-picked stocks to "invest" in during high school, the only one of my choices that made money was the one I picked at random.

For these reasons, I'll never choose my own stocks.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 10:47:09 AM
As for company expectations being in a handbook...  Would they have to be?  Could it not simply be a memo sent out to existing employees, or communicated verbally?  I've worked for companies that didn't even give me employee handbook.  Somehow people still knew what was expected.

While I said "company handbook," perhaps "in writing" would be a better term. Of course, things are often different in a big operation as opposed to a small one.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on September 03, 2020, 08:58:33 PM
-I still buy CDs whenever possible. Not that it's possible that often anymore.

Same here, if there's any new music worth buying. There really isn't. I can't remember the last CD I bought.

But when I do, I always burn a copy of the audio disc, and then rip it to MP3.

MikieTimT

Quote from: webny99 on August 31, 2020, 10:38:15 PM
Interestingly, it seems like there's a pretty wide consensus that 2010's > 2000's. Does anyone disagree?

Semi-retired, drove a camper all over the western US, got married, had 3 kids, and started 2 businesses in the 2000's, so I'd have to disagree.

JoePCool14

I've only been alive since the tail end of 2000, so I'll only give my thoughts since the 2000s decade.

2000s: Childhood (of course). I had a pretty good childhood, growing up as an only child in a stable home in a prosperous, safe location. I had lots of different friends, most I no longer even know, but at the time, I was pretty happy. How could I not be with those conditions?

2010s: A decade of massive change. When it began, I was still a child. When it ended, I was in the middle of my first serious relationship. And a whole hell of a lot happened in between. I discovered Minecraft at the end of 2012. :nod: High school from 2014-2018 was full of ups-and-downs, but generally enjoyable. I got my first job in March of 2017. I became extremely politically active watching the run-up to the 2016 election, but I first became really politically aware when the Ferguson riots occurred in November of 2014. Nearing the end of the decade though, things got more tense for me in many ways. And in the waning hours of the decade, I saw the stories coming out of China about this "novel coronavirus". I thought nothing of it, and moved on... Overall, I will look back on this decade fondly, but there were plenty of blemishes.

2020s: Obviously, this year has been pretty terrible on a global scale, but it's been pretty terrible for me personally too. My original relationship of over 2.5 years ended very poorly, and that scarred me for a couple months. We had some extended family trouble that affected us. Personal concerns over the riots. Personal concerns over the looming election. And worrying about going away to university where I am now. It's been bad, with some good moments sprinkled in.

The future?:
We're in for a rough rest of the decade. The political scene is about ready to collapse, and take the U.S. down with it. The question is how fast could this be resolved. One thing is for sure: our current political paradigm is NOT sustainable for much longer. And China is ready and waiting to swoop in for the kill. I just hope I can get through college, find a new girl and start a family. But I'm not sure what's going to happen.

It's unsettling. Needless to say, I wish it was the early 2010s again.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 04, 2020, 03:03:25 PM
The political scene is about ready to collapse, and take the U.S. down with it. The question is how fast could this be resolved. One thing is for sure: our current political paradigm is NOT sustainable for much longer.

meh.

While the deep political divide and increasing vitriol on both sides of the aisle certainly frustrate and annoy me, I wouldn't say it's going to be our nation's demise.  No matter what you think of whomever holds the office of President, you can always wait four or eight years, and then someone else will hold it.

It does seem like both parties have lost the ability to find the center and work with a bipartisan mindset.  For all the flak Bill Clinton got from Republicans, he could work with Republicans, and the Democratic party has swung very far to the left since he was in office.  Joe Biden appeared to be more to the center than a lot of the other contenders, but he seems to be sliding further and further left as time goes on.  Donald Trump has obviously dug the Republican party's heel in pretty far to the right and doesn't play nicely with those on the left side, and none of his base seems to want that to change.  Gone, it seems to me, are the political parties of thirty years ago.

But the country goes on.  If it weren't for the virus, we'd all be griping about the normal political stuff like Russia, e-mails, campaign financing, abortion bills, yadda yadda yadda.  You know, the same mud that gets flung and the same arguments that get hashed with every President that half the country doesn't like and the other half loves.

It'll all work out.
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 03:25:11 PM
The political scene is about ready to collapse, and take the U.S. down with it. The question is how fast could this be resolved. One thing is for sure: our current political paradigm is NOT sustainable for much longer.

meh.

While the deep political divide and increasing vitriol on both sides of the aisle certainly frustrate and annoy me, I wouldn't say it's going to be our nation's demise.  No matter what you think of whomever holds the office of President, you can always wait four or eight years, and then someone else will hold it.

It does seem like both parties have lost the ability to find the center and work with a bipartisan mindset.  For all the flak Bill Clinton got from Republicans, he could work with Republicans, and the Democratic party has swung very far to the left since he was in office.  Joe Biden appeared to be more to the center than a lot of the other contenders, but he seems to be sliding further and further left as time goes on.  Donald Trump has obviously dug the Republican party's heel in pretty far to the right and doesn't play nicely with those on the left side, and none of his base seems to want that to change.  Gone, it seems to me, are the political parties of thirty years ago.

But the country goes on.  If it weren't for the virus, we'd all be griping about the normal political stuff like Russia, e-mails, campaign financing, abortion bills, yadda yadda yadda.  You know, the same mud that gets flung and the same arguments that get hashed with every President that half the country doesn't like and the other half loves.

It'll all work out.

I sure hope so. Since I'm only 19, I will say I lack the perspective of someone who's lived for several decades and seen a lot more.

I guess my outlook is to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. In the meantime, I'm just gonna focus on college and usual college things.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 03:25:11 PM
meh.
While the deep political divide and increasing vitriol on both sides of the aisle certainly frustrate and annoy me, I wouldn't say it's going to be our nation's demise.

OK, treading carefully here, I actually agree with JoePCool on this one. It isn't sustainable forever. I think the demise of this country is far more likely to be from within than without. All signs have been pointing in that direction for a while, and more so now than ever.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.