News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2021, 09:46:48 PM
I drove the I-24 and 69 concurrency in September last year and saw no mistake. I drove it EB and nothing odd then.
It wasn't there when I drove I-24 westbound just before that interchange just after thanksgiving last year, either.

ErmineNotyours

roadman65

US 231 turns left here. Wrong arrow.

Also Business US 431 is straight, not right. Another wrong arrow.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

The longstanding US 18 error in Covington, Va., has been replaced by ... another US 18 error.

2021 Pre-back-to-the-office trip (KY-VA-WV) Day 2 - 054 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

(Yeah, I know, some anal-retentive type will whine about the other thread, but I'm putting this here because it's an erroneous road sign and this thread was here first. Deal with it.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on June 19, 2021, 11:22:18 PM
As seen on Facebook: Pomona, CA

This reminds me of a similar error I found a few years ago...

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 24, 2021, 11:00:43 PM
I've taken this picture on TCH 2 EB in Edmundston, New Brunswick in a construction zone back in 2019. Such an error could kill people if it were followed.

Original size

Of course, the Pomona error is worse as it's a permanent sign.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2021, 01:27:10 PM
(Yeah, I know, some anal-retentive type will whine about the other thread, but I'm putting this here because it's an erroneous road sign and this thread was here first. Deal with it.)

Half this forum didn't exist when you originally joined. Do you also not use those threads?

Big John

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on June 19, 2021, 11:22:18 PM
As seen on Facebook: Pomona, CA
The keep left sign is too close to the keep right sign.  I would require a "LEFT" verbiage on the keep left sign to remove the confusion and the placement of the wrong sign as seen here.

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on June 23, 2021, 03:25:47 PM

Half this forum didn't exist when you originally joined. Do you also not use those threads?

I read that thread, but I post my erroneous finds here. I didn't really see any reason for the other thread.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2021, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 23, 2021, 03:25:47 PM

I read that thread, but I post my erroneous finds here. I didn't really see any reason for the other thread.

Oh, a protest :) You'd fit in with my generation quite nicely.

TBKS1

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2021, 01:20:19 AM
US 231 turns left here. Wrong arrow.

Also Business US 431 is straight, not right. Another wrong arrow.

I literally have a picture of the same setup and I didn't even notice those errors until you pointed it out, 8 months after I took my photo

That does seem kinda weird though, because surely the business routes and the actual routes would be separate... kinda surprised I didn't notice this lol
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

roadman65

US 431 is here with US 84.  US 84 and AL 210 do not lead to US 431.  Only US 231 is the only route that is not here.   The TO US 431 SOUTH is wrong.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51273799634_d4d8084b24_k.jpg

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

This one as US 101 does not yet use Lombard Street.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on July 13, 2021, 12:09:30 PM

It doesn't? I thought it ran along Van Ness and then turned down Lombard?

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2021, 01:25:22 PM

On a very technical basis, US 101 leaves the Presidio Parkway on a street called Richardson Ave before it reaches Lombard.  I don't see the signs as being erroneous, because for most drivers, they know that heading off the 101 from the bridge, they can either take Marina Blvd toward Fishermans Wharf area or Lombard street to follow US 101 towards downtown by way of either Van Ness or a very crooked street if they forget to make a right turn.  Yes on a very techincal basis, the main road goes to Richardson and the exit goes to Girard/Gorgas, but most people in the area are more familiar with Lombard and Marina, and IMO Lombard and Marina are the proper streets to use here.

okroads

Brand new sign goof on I-35 in Ardmore, OK. So new, the previous signs (and sign bridge) were on the ground just to the right of this picture. The sign on the left has the OK 142 & OK 199 shields switched. Should say OK 142 East TO OK 199.

DSC03792 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on July 13, 2021, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2021, 01:25:22 PM

On a very technical basis, US 101 leaves the Presidio Parkway on a street called Richardson Ave before it reaches Lombard.  I don't see the signs as being erroneous, because for most drivers, they know that heading off the 101 from the bridge, they can either take Marina Blvd toward Fishermans Wharf area or Lombard street to follow US 101 towards downtown by way of either Van Ness or a very crooked street if they forget to make a right turn.  Yes on a very techincal basis, the main road goes to Richardson and the exit goes to Girard/Gorgas, but most people in the area are more familiar with Lombard and Marina, and IMO Lombard and Marina are the proper streets to use here.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, and I mean I can see that on the map as a brief extension of the Presidio Parkway. I wouldn't think "Lombard" is erroneous either. I don't know of any requirement that street names be the immediate street.

JoePCool14

Quote from: okroads on July 13, 2021, 06:17:31 PM
Brand new sign goof on I-35 in Ardmore, OK. So new, the previous signs (and sign bridge) were on the ground just to the right of this picture. The sign on the left has the OK 142 & OK 199 shields switched. Should say OK 142 East TO OK 199.

If we wanna get nitpicky, the TO should not have a raised T. And also the arrow on the right sign. Decent stuff overall though for OkDOT.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 15, 2021, 09:04:00 AM
Quote from: okroads on July 13, 2021, 06:17:31 PM

If we wanna get nitpicky, the TO should not have a raised T. And also the arrow on the right sign. Decent stuff overall though for OkDOT.

Virginia is notorious for using the larger first letter in its "To" banners. It's the only state where I've seen this done.

jakeroot

I think this is erroneous. Not sure what people here think:

https://goo.gl/maps/MKeysr1rs8T7VvFE9

The sign shows "WA-167 South" as being this exit. While you have to use this ramp to reach 167, it's not quite that simple: you have to turn at the end of the off-ramp, continue down West Valley Hwy for half a mile, make a left on 15th, and then make another right to actually reach 167. In between, it's all city streets.

The reverse maneuver is marked "To WA-18 West", so I'm pretty sure it would be erroneous.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 15, 2021, 12:07:52 PM
I think this is erroneous. Not sure what people here think:

https://goo.gl/maps/MKeysr1rs8T7VvFE9

The sign shows "WA-167 South" as being this exit. While you have to use this ramp to reach 167, it's not quite that simple: you have to turn at the end of the off-ramp, continue down West Valley Hwy for half a mile, make a left on 15th, and then make another right to actually reach 167. In between, it's all city streets.

The reverse maneuver is marked "To WA-18 West", so I'm pretty sure it would be erroneous.

I agree that this is erroneous, even though it is commonly done.

Basically, when there are missing movements on a freeway to freeway interchange, traffic will have to use a surface street connection to make the connection.  For someone who is somewhat familiar with the Seattle-Tacoma area, but not very familiar with the specific area, they may assume that this exit, signed as it is, is actually a freeway to freeway ramp (since they are aware that WA-167 is a relatively important regional freeway) and drive fast on it.  That could be dangerous.  It would be far better is it were clearly denoted as an exit for a street and it will lead to the missing connection to the other freeway.

The word "TO" is very important here, even though it is only two letters.

Here's another sign with a similar problem:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0086492,-118.1584596,3a,75y,318.15h,84.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8xbQ4kHW0oOXA49OQJOvOw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

From here, one would assume that the off-ramp will lead to two separate off-ramps, one for Atlantic and one directly for 710 south.  But that is not the case.  The sign is a little deceptive.

The reverse move is far better signed.  Just use supplemental signage.  It is so easy:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9944929,-118.1765834,3a,75y,4.77h,78.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU5eqIGjiwcbMFVZHrFcHNw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Here's another problem:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6693581,-73.8014686,3a,75y,186.11h,94.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sizmQZQ5zd1321uOKwF3Pqg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The exit should be signed for North Conduit Ave west, not Belt Pkwy west.  You exit and then reach a traffic signal that puts you on North Conduit, which is the "service road" (to use NYC lingo) for the Belt Pkwy.  To enter the Belt, you must merge onto the left lane and enter through a normal on-ramp.  Very tight situation, and the signage off the Van Wyck gives no indication that this isn't freeway to freeway (expressway to parkway) ramp, but rather via a local street.

Exits like this (by way of a service road) are actually quite common in the NYC area, but they are usually better signed.

kendancy66

Here is a State route US shield mixup for Route 66 in Depew, OK

https://goo.gl/maps/SYXJr3yNKc27ewPR8

Bobby5280

Somebody might steal that US-66 sign. So ODOT will have to replace that one way or another.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2021, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 24, 2021, 06:18:24 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on May 24, 2021, 12:20:52 AM
I guess I didn't think about it but I could also post this one in here too (taken on October 16th, 2020)

Honestly it's not wrong.

I don't see the error.

I-49 is old I-540. They swapped the shield but didn't change the text on the sign.

Though you could theoretically take I-49 south to the remaining section of I-540 in Fort Smith, which is probably dozens of miles away from this sign.
I found another one of these near the intersection of Walton and J streets. Photo from GSV because mine did not turn out (camera focused on the rain instead).
I can understand the I-540 error,  but the other direction says Jct US 71. Back then, US 71 ran *along* Walton if I'm not mistaken.

SM-G965U

chrismarion100

A sign where both distances are not correct not to mention that the next exit is not even listed and the exit to Chippewa falls is 7 miles away from the sign and not 10 and I-94 is 26 miles away and not 31 miles away
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9192797,-91.2285751,3a,23.1y,264.69h,87.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s34KSXN6bEeTVUlxYQTqfvA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4

edit: I did some looking and notice that a few signs along this highway do not have the right distance to Chippewa Falls as it looks like they forgot to update the distance to exit the highway as 29 no long goes through downtown Chippewa Falls

hirothehero

(Boston, MA-Longwood area) A rare appearance of the default circle state shield. FYI, MassDOT uses square shields on state routes, including this one.
GSV and photo are from July 2019. The shield was removed sometime between then and the following GSV snapshot in November 2020.

https://goo.gl/maps/yapMVDQYovtww56F7

(Newton, MA) I-95 is written in full inside a Mass state shield. The cardinal direction "West" also has the same formatting and alignment as the destination city, making it look like MA-16 goes to "Wellesley West" lol

https://goo.gl/maps/oPdfD6JyPnKSfEow9

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.