Mark your meets on the Calendar!

Started by Scott5114, August 11, 2009, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

You can easily mark your road meets on the forum's calendar feature. All you have to do is click the "Link to Calendar" button at the bottom of the page. Then your meet will appear on our Calendar (click "Calendar" at the top of the page), complete with a link to the thread so people will be able to get more information. It will also appear on the front page of the forum as the event gets nearer.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Have I lost it or is the calendar no longer to be found?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Zeffy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 14, 2015, 11:23:41 AM

This is the URL, but all access seems to have been revoked...
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=calendar
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

JJBers

Quote from: Zeffy on September 20, 2015, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 14, 2015, 11:23:41 AM

This is the URL, but all access seems to have been revoked...
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=calendar
Why? Also can someone de-sticky this post.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Scott5114

Looks like it was disabled by someone at some point because nobody was using it, but I have no idea who that was, so I've re-enabled it for now. If it doesn't get used, I'll turn it back off.

oscar

The calendar works well enough, at least to show the fake birthday I've provided to AARoads (for identity theft reasons, and also to discourage any celebration of my birthday).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JJBers

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 11, 2017, 02:20:03 PM
Looks like it was disabled by someone at some point because nobody was using it, but I have no idea who that was, so I've re-enabled it for now. If it doesn't get used, I'll turn it back off.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was broken or something
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

davewiecking

That might very well be the reason it was disabled earlier-the birthdays/identity theft issue (even though the calendar is only visible to forum members). Any way to remove this data, but still keep the calendar active for meets and other possible road-related purposes? (such as anniversary of the passing of the Interstate and Defense Highway Act)

oscar

Quote from: davewiecking on June 11, 2017, 05:51:06 PM
That might very well be the reason it was disabled earlier-the birthdays/identity theft issue (even though the calendar is only visible to forum members). Any way to remove this data, but still keep the calendar active for meets and other possible road-related purposes? (such as anniversary of the passing of the Interstate and Defense Highway Act)

Some people like to celebrate their birthdays. At my age, they sing to me the Viking Birthday Dirge (sample dark lyric: "Birthdays come but once a year | Marking time as death draws near").

February 29, in a leap year of your choice, is a good fake birth date, since the calendar shows it only in leap years. As 2020 approaches you might want to temporarily switch to a different fake birth date. No need to change the forum setup.

froggie

Doesn't show my birthday at all, which is fine by me.

Here's a question for the mods:  is it possible to set it up so one can add an event to the Calendar, but not automatically create a post?

JJBers

After this reply from admin's, can someone lock this thread?
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JJBers

Quote from: hbelkins on June 12, 2017, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: JJBers on June 12, 2017, 10:24:11 AM

Why?
It's going to turn into a mess of questions and become disjointed random discussion.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

oscar

Quote from: JJBers on June 12, 2017, 11:46:56 AM

Why?
It's going to turn into a mess of questions and become disjointed random discussion.

It's SOP in this forum, for topics to mutate into something completely different (such as birthdays). If a strong tangent develops, it could be usefully spit off into its own (off-)topic.

hbelkins

Why?

If it does, the mods will either delete the offending posts or will kindly remind us in purple text to stick to the topic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Why?
Go run your own forum, or let this one be run. It's generally not appreciated to get input that the moderators are doing things wrong, especially from a newbie 13 year old.

Scott5114

If you aren't comfortable with your birthday being on the calendar, don't put it in your forum profile. (Consider also that your date of birth appears in plenty of FOIA-able public records, so if someone really wants to find it, they can do so whether or not you share it with the forum.)

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2017, 10:20:18 AM
If you aren't comfortable with your birthday being on the calendar, don't put it in your forum profile. (Consider also that your date of birth appears in plenty of FOIA-able public records, so if someone really wants to find it, they can do so whether or not you share it with the forum.)

That has the disadvantage of not showing your age, if you want. The fake birthdate in my profile is a few months from my real birthdate, so you can see what an old fart I am.

As holder of a professional license, it's easy to look up my licensure records online and figure out my approximate age, anyway.

cl94

Quote from: oscar on June 13, 2017, 10:33:02 AM

As holder of a professional license, it's easy to look up my licensure records online and figure out my approximate age, anyway.

Which is why I really don't care if my info is public. Even if I didn't throw my name and age on here, you'd be able to figure out who I am pretty quickly if you decided to look at New York license records or grad students in my department.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cl94 on June 13, 2017, 03:23:57 PM
Quote from: oscar on June 13, 2017, 10:33:02 AM

Which is why I really don't care if my info is public. Even if I didn't throw my name and age on here, you'd be able to figure out who I am pretty quickly if you decided to look at New York license records or grad students in my department.
My first name is Patrick. I am not sharing my last name or actual birthday, but my age is shared and my birthday I put in is a few days away from my real one.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

froggie

Quote from: froggieHere's a question for the mods:  is it possible to set it up so one can add an event to the Calendar, but not automatically create a post?

Never did get an answer to this.  Mods?

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on July 07, 2017, 12:58:39 PM
Quote from: froggieHere's a question for the mods:  is it possible to set it up so one can add an event to the Calendar, but not automatically create a post?

Never did get an answer to this.  Mods?
It;s possible - but to fill details you will need a new post. There is no independent description field, and you won't be able to hook it up to an existing post.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hotdogPi

I've noticed that the calendar has gone pretty much unused. Meets aren't being marked.

I just added the annular solar eclipse on October 14, 2023 and the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024 to the calendar; since there was a lot of roadtripping for the 2017 solar eclipse, I figured the 2023 and 2024 ones would also be roadtrip days for many members here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Probably should unsticky this thread.  Calendar's kaput.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.