News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Important things people should know

Started by hm insulators, September 16, 2009, 12:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hm insulators

Two is the only even prime number.

A closed mouth gathers no feet. (I always have trouble remembering that one.)

No matter how slowly you coast up to the red light, it will never turn green until you come to a complete stop and slip into neutral.

We drive on parkways and park on driveways.

Never wear white pants to a restaurant.

There are two golf balls on the moon.

The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

I've got more, but those will do for now...

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Revive 755

Merging into 65 mph traffic works better at 60 mph, not 40 mph.

Living near a major road, airport, or active rail line will be noisier than not doing so.

Bryant5493

Don't stop -- ever -- on railroad tracks. Two folks in Metro Atlanta did that on back-to-back days.

You must stop on a right turn at a red traffic light or at a stop sign.

Yield means, if you are facing the yield sign, slow down and give way to traffic not facing the yield sign. Not floor it and cause the other driver to perform an evasive maneuver.

If you're turning left at a traffic light, it's okay to enter the intersection and wait whilst attempting to turn left.

Don't do a "Hollywood" or "California Rolling Stop" -- they can be very dangerous.

Remember: The turn signal is to let the other driver know what your intentions are. Using your signal after merging or turning is fruitless.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

SSOWorld

don't slow to 35 mph in mainline traffic to use an off-ramp :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

If you a 1/2 mile from your off ramp and are two or more lanes over in heavy traffic, don't cross over all those lanes to the exit, take your lumps and go to the next exit you can safely negotiate and turn around.

If you're not sure where you're going (i.e. lost), pull off the road into a parking lot or at least the shoulder to check you map, GPS, spouse, child, etc. for directions.

When a sign says "RIGHT LANE CLOSED 1500 FEET" it usually means the right lane will be closed in 1500 feet!  :pan:  Don't go down to the last second and try and barge in, you're only making the traffic backup worse!  :verymad:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Everything you say on a public forum can be read publicly.

Just because you don't know someone doesn't mean it's okay to make them feel stupid.  Even if you're convinced they are.

Karma is a bitch.

If you have a choice of glasses prescriptions (or contact strengths), get the weaker one.  Otherwise your eyes will keep getting worse.  (My left eye has actually improved slightly over the last ten years.)

Button copy is cool and funny, and a great American pastime.  But when all the buttons are gone and the sign sheeting is not reflective, it's time to replace it already.

Non-redundant structures are only more dangerous than redundant structures if you blatantly violate the design characteristics of the bridge.  Not worth panicking over like many have done.

99% of New Jersey is not what you see on the Turnpike.  Or even the Parkway.

Inside jokes are cool and funny, and a great American pastime.  And fun for the whole family.  Your parents were wrong about that one.  And about practical jokes being unfunny, too.  Try them out!

We joked aboot the Canadian dollar being so weak.  Well, now it's not.  And we're still joking.  Dontcha think it'll keep getting stronger till we stop, eh?

SSOWorld

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

What happens in DC stays on YouTube.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

FLRoads

I totally agree with what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! That is one of my favorite cities to visit, though I have never gotten off the Strip to see the rest of Interstate 215 or 515...

Hellfighter

SSOWorld

A "No Turn On Red" sign means you can't turn right on Red.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

mgk920

A 'YIELD' sign means that you don't have to stop if there is no conflicting traffic.

:rolleyes:

Mike

hm insulators

When to quit while you're ahead.

Hawaii is a state. (It's amazing how many people in the US still don't know that! :pan:)

Telephone pole insulators are heavy. (Both Truvelo and I can attest to that! :D)

A cat is on the wrong side of every door.

The proper way to operate a baseball cap button.

Apply ointment generously to affected area. If it doesn't work, there's a flaw in the ointment! :-D

A bit of wisdom from Red Green: "Never try to flambe a whole goat!"

I've got still more, but I'll put 'em in next time. (It might be a few days.)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Alps

Quote from: flaroadgeek on September 16, 2009, 10:55:56 PM
I totally agree with what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

Try telling that to the collection agency when you gambled more than your life savings...

Quote from: hm insulators on September 17, 2009, 12:02:49 PM
The proper way to operate a baseball cap button.

Do tell.  When I was a kid, they were for chewing.  Later, they were for twisting.  Now...

SSOWorld

Most states have "move over" laws

Most states have laws requiring cars to stop at crosswalks if a pedestrian is in it.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

golden eagle

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 16, 2009, 01:12:50 PM
Remember: The turn signal is to let the other driver know what your intentions are. Using your signal after merging or turning is fruitless.

YES! This is a pet peeve of mine. Don't the drivers see that their signal light is still on or hear the clicking noise it makes? It's really confusing when on a four-lane road or highway because you don't know if the driver is intending to turn.

Scott5114

Quote from: Master son on September 16, 2009, 10:41:41 PM
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

Especially if your money happens to be in Vegas.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hm insulators

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

Never stand in a hailstorm with your shirt off.

Where there's a will...there's a relative.

A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour all of your money.

Helicopters don't fly; they beat the air into submission.

Never mail ice cream.

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

BigMattFromTexas

QuoteNever stand in a hailstorm with your shirt off.
Whynot?!?!
BigMatt

florida

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 22, 2009, 04:33:06 PM
Don't play Wii during a police raid.  :-D :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5clBon69g

Be well,

Bryant

Only here!

-By all means, DO NOT press the crosswalk button if you do not intend to stay and wait for it.
So many roads...so little time.

hm insulators

Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

The most powerful weapon against bad TV is the remote.

The only way bureaucrats cut red tape is lengthwise.

Never clean a camp stove in the kitchen sink and then light a match to see if it still works.

Ian

Swine flu is the past tense of when pigs fly.

When you see da police, warn-a-brother.

Miley Cyrus will never be popular to anyone above the age of 10. If I am wrong, America is a bunch of creepers  ;-)...

99.9% of the people in the club hate I-99 and Bud Shuster.

Any one in the lower peninsula of Michigan can point out to someone where they live by pointing to a spot on their palm.

Never cook on the grille, oven, stove, etc. without a shirt on, especially if you are cooking bacon  :ded:.

Michael Jackson is the king of pop!!!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

74/171FAN

QuoteMiley Cyrus will never be popular to anyone above the age of 10. If I am wrong, America is a bunch of creepers  ...
The sad thing is that's true and add the Jonas Brothers to that list.

The best team doesn't always win in sports.

You've got to make the playoffs to win a championship(at least in America)

Don't take I-395 and I-695 to RFK Stadium when DC United is playing.  Instead take I-95/495 to I-295 then I-295 to DC 295 and follow DC 295 NB to the Benning Rd exit
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 30, 2009, 09:59:50 PM
The best team doesn't always win in sports.

And, the auto racing specific version.

The best car doesn't always win the race.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Ian

Dont drink any juices of any kind after brushing your teeth or after consuming anything mint.

Speed limits are enforced  :nod:.

You are not cool if you run from the police or if you do anything illegal.

NBC and CNN need new things to talk about.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.