News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads named for businesses which no longer exist (there)

Started by briantroutman, July 01, 2016, 11:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US20IL64

In Fenton MO, there are street names from when there was a Chrysler Corp plant. Imperial, Chrysler, Dart, Fury and even a 'Valiant Park'.

Another left over Airport Rd is in West Dundee IL, right by I-90 and IL-31 interchange. And yet another in North Aurora IL, by I-88 and IL-31.

There was an enclosed Mall/Amusement Park, "Old Chicago", in Bolingbrook IL. Torn down, but Old Chicago Drive, is still there.

In Waukegan IL, the Lakehurst Mall is long gone, but the circular Lakehurst Dr is still there, with WalMart in place of the mall.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: mrsman on November 09, 2021, 02:06:07 PM
Hughes Way in El Segundo, CA.  Led to one of the worksites of the Hughes Aircraft Co.  (Several plants existed all over the area.)  The division was bought out by Raytheon more than 20 years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.908388,-118.3917429,3a,15y,344.38h,92.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGs-cs-JQEshRuWN0UK78TA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DGs-cs-JQEshRuWN0UK78TA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D17.622663%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Of course, all over Southern California there are other monuments to the many aerospace companies that had facilites there.  Almost all of them have since merged in with larger companies like Lockheed, Boeing, or Raytheon.  Here's Douglas Center (named after Douglas Aircraft) in Long Beach that now leads to a Boeing facility:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8303573,-118.1424923,3a,75y,51h,89.05t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqCnWla5OTgVP7ozRJqEQoQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DqCnWla5OTgVP7ozRJqEQoQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D144.58269%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

The names for sports heroes is quite interesting and while the individuals aren't businesses, they are generally named in areas near the stadiums/arenas where they became famous.

Hank Aaron Dr. in Atlanta.  The team moved to Cumberland, GA, but the street in Atlanta still named for him.  (There is also a street near the new stadium named for Hank.)

Here is something interesting.  While I was growing up in LA in the 1980's, the Lakers played in Inglewood (Forum) and the Clippers played in Downtown LA (Sports Arena).  Then for a while both teams have been playing Downtown LA at the Staples Center.  Now, the Clippers are building a new arena in Inglewood, about a mile away from the Forum.  Anyway, to bring it back on topic, Inglewood has a Kareem Court near the Forum and a Pincay Drive (named after a jockey).  Hollywood Park horseracing track was torn down and the SoFi stadiuim put in its place.  And of course, the Lakers are no longer there either.  Perhaps there is some room to name a street after a star football player.

Does Kirby Puckett Place still exist in downtown Minneapolis near where the Metrodome used to be - or was the name reverted to its previous name of Chicago Avenue? (For the uninitiated, in 2010 the Twins left the Dome for Target Field, which is on the other end of downtown.)

keithvh

Disc Drive and Tape Drive in Louisville, Colorado.  Storage Technology (who my Dad worked with for many years) used to be headquartered here. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.943369,-105.1336509,16z

The company no longer exists as an independent entity.  It was bought out by Sun, who was bought out by Oracle ... the Louisville HQ are no longer there but Oracle does have a significant presence nearby in Broomfield.

It's kind of interesting how life flows --- when my Dad worked there, it was when I was growing up and we were in Detroit, MI.  He worked in their Detroit location, occasionally travelling to Colorado.  He left the job when I was in High School.  Years later I'm an adult and now I'm living in Broomfield --- only a few miles away from his former company's HQ.

Max Rockatansky

mrcmc888

Odd one in Newark, DE.  I don't know if Chrysler Ave ever reached the plant that closed down in 2008, but regardless, it's still named after that plant.

DandyDan

Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 10, 2021, 11:48:15 PM
Quote from: mrsman on November 09, 2021, 02:06:07 PM
Hughes Way in El Segundo, CA.  Led to one of the worksites of the Hughes Aircraft Co.  (Several plants existed all over the area.)  The division was bought out by Raytheon more than 20 years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.908388,-118.3917429,3a,15y,344.38h,92.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGs-cs-JQEshRuWN0UK78TA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DGs-cs-JQEshRuWN0UK78TA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D17.622663%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Of course, all over Southern California there are other monuments to the many aerospace companies that had facilites there.  Almost all of them have since merged in with larger companies like Lockheed, Boeing, or Raytheon.  Here's Douglas Center (named after Douglas Aircraft) in Long Beach that now leads to a Boeing facility:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8303573,-118.1424923,3a,75y,51h,89.05t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqCnWla5OTgVP7ozRJqEQoQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DqCnWla5OTgVP7ozRJqEQoQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D144.58269%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

The names for sports heroes is quite interesting and while the individuals aren't businesses, they are generally named in areas near the stadiums/arenas where they became famous.

Hank Aaron Dr. in Atlanta.  The team moved to Cumberland, GA, but the street in Atlanta still named for him.  (There is also a street near the new stadium named for Hank.)

Here is something interesting.  While I was growing up in LA in the 1980's, the Lakers played in Inglewood (Forum) and the Clippers played in Downtown LA (Sports Arena).  Then for a while both teams have been playing Downtown LA at the Staples Center.  Now, the Clippers are building a new arena in Inglewood, about a mile away from the Forum.  Anyway, to bring it back on topic, Inglewood has a Kareem Court near the Forum and a Pincay Drive (named after a jockey).  Hollywood Park horseracing track was torn down and the SoFi stadiuim put in its place.  And of course, the Lakers are no longer there either.  Perhaps there is some room to name a street after a star football player.

Does Kirby Puckett Place still exist in downtown Minneapolis near where the Metrodome used to be - or was the name reverted to its previous name of Chicago Avenue? (For the uninitiated, in 2010 the Twins left the Dome for Target Field, which is on the other end of downtown.)
It reverted to Chicago Avenue. I recall a controversy when US Bank Stadium was new that it was given that name, being the Chicago Bears are the Minnesota Vikings rivals. Carew Place was reverted as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

US20IL64

In Normal IL, former home of the Mitsubishi/DSM auto plant, the main road by it has changed from Mitsubishi Drive [US 150] to Rivian Parkway. For new owners of plant.

lepidopteran

In Upper Marlboro, MD, there's an intersection with US-301 that has a Chevy Dr. one way, and a Chrysler Dr. (turns into Chrysler Way) going the other.  Both were presumably named for auto dealerships that are no more.  Both structures still stand, though; one is a church, and the other is divided into a MAACO and an Enterprise rent-a-car.

Avalanchez71

Team Blvd in Smyrna, TN.  It was named for Team Chevrolet which never actually built their facility out there.  It was actually one of the GM dealerships that was closed down by the former Obama Car Czar that lorded over GM back in 2009.

Scott5114

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 15, 2021, 02:48:09 PM
Obama Car Czar that lorded over GM

You do realize how ridiculous you sound when you say things like this, right?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yes, he and the entire royal family were executed at the behest of Obama Car Lenin. 

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2021, 03:16:39 PM
Obama Car Czar that lorded over GM

You do realize how ridiculous you sound when you say things like this, right?

Too much pork?  Carnitas tacos sound really good right now for dinner.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on November 15, 2021, 07:36:20 PM
Combining cars and meat, there's Kars, Turkey.

Also describes my annual Thanksgiving trip (in that order).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Avalanchez71

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 15, 2021, 05:47:04 PM
Obama Car Czar

what the hell is an Obama Car Czar
Obama's 'car czar' to pay $5M fine
By JOHN MAGGS 10/13/2010 07:15 PM EDT
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Financier Steven Rattner, former head of the government's rescue of the auto industry, has settled securities charges against him stemming from a bribery scheme  that predated his time in office.

Rattner, a major bankroller of Democratic campaigns, will pay a fine of more than $5 million and accept a multi-year ban from involvement with the securities industry, under a settlement to be announced Thursday by the Securities and Exchange Commission, according to a report by the New York Times. He faces more fines but likely no jail time under a separate investigation by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

Rattner served as the "Car Czar"  in 2009, overseeing the Obama administration's complicated bailout of the Big Three Auto makers. Rattner's attorney, Jamie Gorelick, a senior Justice Department official in the Clinton administration, did not return a call requesting comment.

As a principal with Quadrangle Group, a private Wall Street equity fund, he was accused of paying a $1 million bribe to an adviser to New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi. Hevesi pled guilty last week to state criminal charges in a larger scheme that netted millions in kickbacks from Wall Street companies seeking investments from the New York state pension fund.

Rattner also helped fund "Chooch"  a low-budget movie produced by the brother of David Loglisci, the head of the pension fund.

Hevesi is not expected to face jail time under his settlement with Cuomo.

Max Rockatansky

Pontiac isn't coming back, let it go.  The GTO was too little too late. 

formulanone

Manufacturers were looking to cut costs, and shed hundreds of dealers from their networks (the Big 3 do not operate any manufacturer-owned stores in the US). Many were consolidated; GMC/Chevrolet with Cadillac and/or Buick, and many standalone stores mostly folded. About 70-80% of those GM dealers opened back up in the next few years or later received their franchises. The bigger dealer groups tucked their tail and took a payout; the smaller "mom-and-pops" took the biggest hits. Of courses the Pontiac and Hummer dealerships walked the plank. About 780 Chrysler/Dodge stores folded (a few less consolidated) and maybe 10-20% have come back, some just went into new markets altogether.

Without getting political...What else were manufacturers supposed to do with government support? They leaned out (though not quite learned from their mistakes) whereas spending even more money would have been a less viable choice; but hey, there's just no pleasing someone with an axe to grind, is there?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: formulanone on November 16, 2021, 09:27:48 AM
Manufacturers were looking to cut costs, and shed hundreds of dealers from their networks (the Big 3 do not operate any manufacturer-owned stores in the US). Many were consolidated; GMC/Chevrolet with Cadillac and/or Buick, and many standalone stores mostly folded. About 70-80% of those GM dealers opened back up in the next few years or later received their franchises. The bigger dealer groups tucked their tail and took a payout; the smaller "mom-and-pops" took the biggest hits. Of courses the Pontiac and Hummer dealerships walked the plank. About 780 Chrysler/Dodge stores folded (a few less consolidated) and maybe 10-20% have come back, some just went into new markets altogether.

Without getting political...What else were manufacturers supposed to do with government support? They leaned out (though not quite learned from their mistakes) whereas spending even more money would have been a less viable choice; but hey, there's just no pleasing someone with an axe to grind, is there?

I cannot dispute this post but there was certainly a Car Czar.

Rothman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 16, 2021, 11:10:59 AM
Quote from: formulanone on November 16, 2021, 09:27:48 AM

That's Tsar, not Czar.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sandwalk

Just north of the Route 2 exit ramp to Route 250 in Sandusky, Ohio is a road named Ramada Street.  The Ramada Inn that it was named for has been gone for about 2 decades, but the hotel is now a repurposed Days Inn.  I guess it's kind of interesting they never changed the name of the street, since there are no businesses that have an address on Ramada Street.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/EzJGrquV8fTQVmcF8

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 16, 2021, 11:10:59 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 16, 2021, 02:24:21 PM
That's Tsar, not Czar.

Sidebar:
Transportation Czar = Tzar
Drug Czar = Dzar
SARS Czar = Szar?

index

Not a business, but High School Drive here in Boone no longer serves the high school (long been demolished), but a park and ride/long term parking lot for ASU students.

Broyhill Inn Lane is the address of App State's South Lot (near the baseball stadium) but the Broyhill Inn no longer exists.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

D-Dey65

Another old railroad name;

Putnam Drive West still exists in pieces in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx, even though only the right-of-way of the former Putnam Division of New York Central Railroad (originally the New York and Putnam Railroad) runs along the east side of the street.

planxtymcgillicuddy

It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Hunty2022

Gander Drive near Charlottesville is named for Gander, but it's a Goodwill now.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.