National Boards > General Highway Talk

Solving a ROR traffic conflict

<< < (8/8)

1995hoo:
This thread prompts me to think of the "Right Turn on Red Must Yield to U-Turn" sign seen in the Street View link below. That would be the rule anyway, of course, because the U-turn traffic has a green arrow while the right-on-red traffic has a red light, but I guess there have been enough problems that VDOT felt the need to reinforce it. That intersection has more U-turns than the typical one because of the neighborhood visible in the background in the Street View image across Telegraph Road. A median barrier on Telegraph prevents them from turning left out of their neighborhood, so they have to go right and then make a U-turn (the neighborhood has only that one entrance/exit).

https://goo.gl/maps/j6VYyV4BYLW9ugtR7

GaryV:

--- Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 10, 2023, 04:28:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 30, 2023, 02:42:13 PM ---^  Here's a real hoot near both of us.  I call it the Horn Honk Ballet, especially during rush hours.
https://goo.gl/maps/Mn2V41T15uvEuWzD8

--- End quote ---

That intersection is in some serious need of painted stop lines.
--- End quote ---
Ehh, they just wore away and didn't get repainted. Happens in a lot of places.

--- Quote ---Also, "Turn Right Only"?
--- End quote ---
Yes, because you can't go straight through into the Michigan Left crossover.

--- Quote ---And I'm not familiar with the law in Michigan, but would this qualify for Left Turn on Red? Since it technically could be considered a one way street turning onto a one way street. That's just a whole other deal that further complicates things.

--- End quote ---
Yes, it qualifies for LTOR, as do most Michigan Left crossovers.

interstatefan990:

--- Quote from: GaryV on February 10, 2023, 06:05:29 PM ---Ehh, they just wore away and didn't get repainted. Happens in a lot of places.

--- End quote ---

True, but if I had to pick an intersection which deserves a repainting, it would be this one.

--- Quote ---Yes, because you can't go straight through into the Michigan Left crossover.

--- End quote ---

I was referring to the sign itself. I'm used to seeing "RIGHT TURN ONLY", not "TURN RIGHT ONLY".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version