News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sheetz

Started by Scott5114, August 07, 2010, 12:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 10, 2010, 04:24:59 PM
New Jersey doesn't seem to have a shortage of gas stations....

I didn't imply that all of them are in danger of running out of business, but I am quite sure there are always some at the margin that, in nearly any other state, could simply lower their costs and stay alive.

Post Merge: August 11, 2010, 01:02:21 AM

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 10, 2010, 04:26:24 PM

Unless you're disabled, for example.  If you're not, you can go inside and get a snack or use the men's room or something, and when you come out, your tank's full.

and if you happen to need to do neither, you sit there twiddling your thumbs.  Awkward much?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Michael in Philly

Only if you're not used to it.  The attendant, obviously, won't think you're any lazier than anyone else who's pulled up to his pump all day.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 10, 2010, 04:35:53 PM
I, on the other hand, the first time I bought gas outside New Jersey and couldn't figure out how to work the pump (late '80s, in Maryland) paid a 50-cent-a-gallon premium for the privilege of a service that would not have cost me extra at home.

if you didn't know how, you could've simply asked another customer.  I've rented so many cars before with so many quirky features that I've had to ask such basics as how to put a car into reverse gear!  Not nearly as bad as having to ask for directions ;)

Post Merge: August 12, 2010, 01:50:57 PM

No one in New Jersey tips for gas.  They must have pegged you for a naive out-of-stater.

cue the New Jersey bashing as a state run entirely by racketeers who shake everyone down for money  :pan:

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Well, us Texans are nice and we tip for a lot of stuff. At some restaurants people in the oil industry tip waitresses at some steakhouses up to $100...
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 04:43:48 PM
Well, us Texans are nice and we tip for a lot of stuff. At some restaurants people in the oil industry tip waitresses at some steakhouses up to $100...
BigMatt

that's because some people in the oil industry order meals that run over $500, with the food and wine and whatnot for all them rich oil industry folk!  :-D

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 04:46:27 PM
Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 04:43:48 PM
BigMatt

that's because some people in the oil industry order meals that run over $500, with the food and wine and whatnot for all them rich oil industry folk!  :-D

That's true. Oil is a huge deal here in West Texas. So it's no surprise that they would pay that much for food. That's one reason I'm interested in oil and oil rigs, and whatnot. ;)
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 04:49:30 PM

That's true. Oil is a huge deal here in West Texas. So it's no surprise that they would pay that much for food. That's one reason I'm interested in oil and oil rigs, and whatnot. ;)
BigMatt

then again, some folks will leave a $100 bill for a $10 burger and fries because, hey, they're ostentatious.  

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 04:42:39 PM
No one in New Jersey tips for gas.  They must have pegged you for a naive out-of-stater.

cue the New Jersey bashing as a state run entirely by racketeers who shake everyone down for money  :pan:

I thought that was Illinois.  ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

BigMattFromTexas

I think the largest tip I'd leave would prolly be $50.01. But that would depend on several things about the waitress... ;)
BigMatt

Michael in Philly

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 04:41:10 PM
I, on the other hand, the first time I bought gas outside New Jersey and couldn't figure out how to work the pump (late '80s, in Maryland) paid a 50-cent-a-gallon premium for the privilege of a service that would not have cost me extra at home.

if you didn't know how, you could've simply asked another customer.  I've rented so many cars before with so many quirky features that I've had to ask such basics as how to put a car into reverse gear!  Not nearly as bad as having to ask for directions ;)

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon.  There was no one there.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Brandon

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 10, 2010, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 04:41:10 PM

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon.  There was no one there.

There usually are instructions on the pump on how to use the pump.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Michael in Philly

This was over 20 years ago.  I don't remember details.  Sheesh!
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

BigMattFromTexas

Haha, I pumped gas when I was like 9, dang. It's not that hard. Haha.
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 10, 2010, 05:00:17 PM
There usually are instructions on the pump on how to use the pump.

now that I've never noticed.  the only instruction I get is "if you drive off without paying, this state trooper - who has been certified by the State Commission on Weights and Measures as being 100% badass - will personally come to your house and beat you with a stick."

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Well usually you have to pay before you pump, so it would be hard to steal it.
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 05:42:30 PM
Well usually you have to pay before you pump, so it would be hard to steal it.
BigMatt

in a lot of smaller towns, you can pump first and then pay.  This is especially true during the daytime, and for older pumps that do not have a credit card reader.  You pump gas and then go inside to pay.

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

The Turnpike has a captive audience.  Use 295 instead.  Last time I bought gas over there, it was 23 cents a gallon less than in my neighborhood five miles away.  And I grew up in New Jersey and have never heard of anyone tipping.

I do always take 295, but sadly, 295 is not a through route and dumps you back on the Turnpike eventually. The one time I have stopped for gas on the NJTP, however, it was not me driving and not my car, so not my choice.

As for 'expecting a tip'-that doesn't make any sense, no one tips for gasoline in NJ.

After he was done fueling, the attendant stood there awkwardly until my Dad pulled a couple dollars out of our toll fund.

I found a gas station the other day just a little ways out into the country that wasn't pay-before-you-pump and it really threw me off. First one I'd ever seen. All the local ones have required that since long before I was pumping gas.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

There is (was?) a Murphy USA in Purcell, OK with large placards saying "Pump, then pay! WE TRUST YOU!"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

How do truck stops make it in NJ? I mean I think truck stops are the busiest thing on the roads at night, and during the day too. I'd hate to work there.
BigMatt

Mr_Northside

EDIT: Moved the shit I typed to the new thread about the full-serve / self-serve issue to the thread I noticed now exists after I already posted here.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on August 08, 2010, 09:42:58 AM

It is as simple as rather than trying to smoke out the very last dollar with minimum effort, as most businesses do, doing a good job for the customer.  In every aspect of what it does, Sheetz simply tries harder to help me, the customer.   Reasonable, by conv store standards, prices.  Great food.  Smart (because they pay well above the minimum wage) clerks.  Good selections.  Clean stores and restrooms.  Well stocked selections of needed items.  Friendly staffs.  Simply doing right, rather than what the conv. store business now is, and the fast food business is fast becoming, which is a minimum effort operation.

And now you have Sheetz pretty close by to where you live.

Last time I was up I-64, I remember seeing a new sign on the I-64 services guide signs for a Sheetz at either Hurricane or the WV 34 Winfield exit (can't remember for sure which exit it was). Prior to that the one closest to Charleston had been at Milton.

Seems like now that Sheetz is expanding, they could fill in some gaps. I can see Sheetz stores on I-77 at Marietta, Parkersburg and Ripley, on I-79 at Flatwoods/Sutton, on the Turnpike at Beckley and Princeton, and on US 19 at Summersville. Now if you are traveling on I-77, you can visit a Sheetz at Wytheville and then not run into one again until the New Philadelphia area of Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 07, 2010, 12:36:03 AM
Sheetz? I went there once, it wasn't too bad, but not the best. I still root for Wawa here in Philly :P

I've stopped at a few Wawa's and have always perused their food menu, then left without buying anything. Sheetz has them whipped in terms of food. Seems to me that Wawa only offers subs, wraps and hot dogs, while Sheetz has burgers, fries, chicken sandwiches (fried or grilled), and pretty much anything else you can think of. Plus their fried mac & cheese bites are awesome!

I think most all Sheetz locations now offer fries (Fryz) and other fried items.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

Quotefried mac & cheese bites

That settles it- I have to check this out.  I'm going to Ohio. Now.

KEK Inc.

I've never heard of this place.  We need them out in the far West.  :P 

Yeah, I believe Oregon's justification for full service is to supply more jobs.  I'm assuming that's New Jersey's reasoning as well.  I believe gas in Oregon is slightly more expensive; however, you don't pay taxes, so it's about the same as a gas station in neighboring states.  Obviously, it depends by region.
Take the road less traveled.

corco

QuoteI believe gas in Oregon is slightly more expensive; however, you don't pay taxes, so it's about the same as a gas station in neighboring states.

This may not be the case in Multnomah County due to higher local gas taxes, but gas in Hermiston, for example, is without exception cheaper than gas in the Tri-Cities. Same with Walla Walla/Pendleton and Ilwaco/Astoria.  At this moment, gasbuddy.com puts the average price in Oregon as 3.01, 3.09 in Washington. Idaho is certainly cheaper than Oregon, while I'd assume California to be more expensive. I'm not sure how Nevada works.

You don't pay additional sales tax on gas in any state to my knowledge (and definitely not Washington or Idaho)- it's pretty much the only product one can buy in which all tax is included in the purchase price. I don't even know that regular sales tax is even part of the price of gas in most states- gas is usually taxed completely separately from everything else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.