News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Local Color

Started by Michael in Philly, August 08, 2010, 11:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

I was just out for a drive - Philadelphia, to Bel Air, Md., to York, Pa., and home.  Last two times I was on US 30 east of Lancaster, I was stopped for construction (single-lane traffic with flag bearers to stop traffic) so this time I took Pa. 340 from US 30 to Pa. 10.  340 passes through the heart of Amish country, including the town of Intercourse.  There were more Amish buggies than cars on the road.  Even at 9:30 to 10 p.m.  I didn't know the Amish used apparently-electric head- and taillights (and lots of flashing red and orange on the back and on the sides) - I just figured they didn't go out after dark....

Any other only-in-[name of place] stories?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

signalman

I was amazed at how many Amish were out after dark too back when I made frequent trips to Lancaster County.  I used to think they went to bed at sunset, but aparently I was wrong.  The lights they use are battery powered and required by law. 

Michael in Philly

I'm told by a co-worker who grew up in Ephrata, and whose parents still live there, that they're out a lot on Sundays in particular (they wouldn't be working, obviously).  She avoids "back roads" out there on Sundays for that reason.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

cu2010

They're all over the place in the North Country...even on main roads!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

allniter89

Only in Texas, that I know of, will slower drivers on a 2 lane road with paved shoulders pull onto the shoulder to let faster traffic pass. Excellent!!!  :)
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Ace10

Not to make this an Amish thread, but I do think I stumbled upon an Amish ... settlement? one time when I was making my way home. This was in Florida - took SR-429 northbound to Exit 1A (Sinclair Rd) and eventually found myself on Goodman Rd - which is a bad idea to drive because it's all dirt. Saw a horse-and-buggy MUTCD sign that I had never seen before. Just seemed like in the middle of nowhere, very out of the way. Luckily I drove and eventually came upon a road that I normally took to get home, and didn't realize it even linked to this settlement. Haven't driven there since but it would be great if it was paved!

BigMattFromTexas

Only in Texas, or the South, would you see your newspaper headline stating "Raging Bull Shot Down". And it happened on a highway. I think that make Texas seem real hick. But oh well, at least we're tough ;).
BigMatt

US71

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 12:36:05 AM
Only in Texas, or the South, would you see your newspaper headline stating "Raging Bull Shot Down". And it happened on a highway. I think that make Texas seem real hick. But oh well, at least we're tough ;).
BigMatt
What can you about a state that doesn't believe in Thomas Jefferson?  :-o
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: allniter89 on August 09, 2010, 10:21:02 PM
Only in Texas, that I know of, will slower drivers on a 2 lane road with paved shoulders pull onto the shoulder to let faster traffic pass. Excellent!!!  :)

Around Chicago, they do the opposite.  Faster traffic tends to use the shoulder to pass slower traffic in the lanes.  :-o
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: allniter89 on August 09, 2010, 10:21:02 PM

I've seen that happen in a lot of places, but the road needs to be rural with good sight lines.  Follow someone on a winding road in the hills, and they are not likely to even use the turnouts, especially when the road is signed "SLOWER VEHICLES USE TURNOUTS".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

pulling over on the shoulder to let faster traffic pass is a common practice in Eastern Europe. It's not uncommon to have trucks pass each other in both directions on what was intended to be a two-lane road. Not exactly safe, most people tend to drive half on the shoulder even if nobody is passing them to avoid a head-on accident with people passing in the other direction.

Shoulders on non-freeways in Western Europe are not as common, so you don't have it there.

BigMattFromTexas

Here some people actually waive at you to thank you for moving over on the highway. Gotta love that Texan friendliness, unless you make fun of anything Texan. Then everyone could go to their room and get their 12-gauge and make you take it back. And what other states do you see people picking road kill up off the pavement? ;)

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 05:28:31 PMAnd what other states do you see people picking road kill up off the pavement? ;)

I've eaten roadkill before.  Wasn't in Texas.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Well how do you know the roadkill wasn't from Texas? Heh heh.
BigMatt

Brandon

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 05:28:31 PM
Here some people actually waive at you to thank you for moving over on the highway. Gotta love that Texan friendliness, unless you make fun of anything Texan. Then everyone could go to their room and get their 12-gauge and make you take it back. And what other states do you see people picking road kill up off the pavement? ;)

Um, Wisconsin comes to mind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

BigMattFromTexas

Brandon

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 05:55:10 PM
For what?
BigMatt

Roadkill.  But, there are enough 12-gauges up there as well.  Ah, but it is too easy to make fun of what lies beyond the Cheddar Curtain.  :cool:

BigMattFromTexas

Oh, haha. Well drive down a Texas highway and you'll see how often signs are used for target practice.
BigMatt

Brandon

^^ Happens in any rural or podunk area.  You'd be surprised how often it occurs in Illinois.

BigMattFromTexas

There's a paintball splatter on a stop sign right down the street from me.
BigMatt

algorerhythms

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 05:28:31 PM
And what other states do you see people picking road kill up off the pavement? ;)
I've eaten roadkill in Kentucky before...

mightyace

^^^

Well, I live in the state that, several years ago, officially made it legal take road kill off the highway so you could eat it.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

BigMattFromTexas

Well, there's Kentucky and then there's the rest of the U.S. Haha, jk.
BigMatt

algorerhythms

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2010, 11:20:51 PM
Well, there's Kentucky and then there's the rest of the U.S. Haha, jk.
BigMatt
Hey, you're the one who brought up eating roadkill in Texas...

nyratk1

Well, there's the Fuhgeddaboudit BGSs on the Gowanus Expressway approaching the Verrazano, the BQE approaching the Kosciuczko Bridge, the Belt  near the Queens border and the Belt ramp to the Verrazano

Now that's local flavor :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.