News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why was CA-150 truncated in length?

Started by Quillz, October 27, 2011, 05:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

A long time ago, CA-150 was a much longer route. While its eastern terminus was always in Santa Paula with CA-126, the western terminus used to be near Los Olivos at US-101. It almost entirely encompassed what is today CA-154 and 192.

My question is, why? What was the reasoning for breaking up CA-150 into two more routes? Wouldn't having three routes traversing the Santa Paula-Los Olivos corridor be more confusing than a single, longer route?

TheStranger

Quote from: Quillz on October 27, 2011, 05:15:11 PM
A long time ago, CA-150 was a much longer route. While its eastern terminus was always in Santa Paula with CA-126, the western terminus used to be near Los Olivos at US-101. It almost entirely encompassed what is today CA-154 and 192.

My question is, why? What was the reasoning for breaking up CA-150 into two more routes? Wouldn't having three routes traversing the Santa Paula-Los Olivos corridor be more confusing than a single, longer route?

With regards to Route 154, I think it stands out on its own as a shortcut between Santa Maria and Santa Barbara (as opposed to the longer US 101 routing), rather than being the same corridor as the indirect, winding road to Santa Paula (much more quickly accessed via 101/126).
Chris Sampang

The High Plains Traveler

Until the 1964 renumbering, CA-150 went west from the Lake Cachuma area through Buellton and Lompoc, terminating at the ocean at Surf. This piece is what became CA-246 in the renumbering while CA-154 was assigned to the highway from Santa Barbara to Los Olivos. I haven't dug to see what the pre-1964 LRNs were but I think the piece from Lake Cachuma to U.S. 101 through Los Olivos was an unsigned state highway. 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.