News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SoCal to Vegas - alternatives to I-15

Started by citrus, May 03, 2012, 03:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citrus

I'm going to Vegas this weekend, from San Diego. I've been several times, taking I-15 most times, but I'm leaving SoCal soon and may as well explore while I'm still here. I have a general idea of routes I want to take, but I figured I'd ask here if there are any better suggestions.

I've got ~10 hours on Friday to get there (leaving San Diego 8am), and ~8 hours on Monday (leaving Vegas around 5:30am!) to come back, though I'd prefer a shorter return trip. My current plan is roughly: SD to Vegas via CA-52, CA-67, CA-78, US-95, I-40, US-93; return trip via I-15, CA-247, CA-62, I-10, CA-79, I-15. Priorities include: interesting road stuff, interesting scenery, new (to me) roads, clinching roads, avoiding crappy traffic in the Inland Empire and on I-15 between Barstow and Vegas. The route I have so far lets me clinch what I have left of CA-78, US-95 in CA, I-40 in CA, CA-247, CA-79 [what exactly is the routing of 79 through Hemet these days?], and with a short diversion, CA-111 on the return trip. But I'm open to other suggestions - perhaps some old US-66 or other Mojave back roads, or going via Big Bear and CA-18?

Interstate Trav

Quote from: citrus on May 03, 2012, 03:40:03 AM
I'm going to Vegas this weekend, from San Diego. I've been several times, taking I-15 most times, but I'm leaving SoCal soon and may as well explore while I'm still here. I have a general idea of routes I want to take, but I figured I'd ask here if there are any better suggestions.

I've got ~10 hours on Friday to get there (leaving San Diego 8am), and ~8 hours on Monday (leaving Vegas around 5:30am!) to come back, though I'd prefer a shorter return trip. My current plan is roughly: SD to Vegas via CA-52, CA-67, CA-78, US-95, I-40, US-93; return trip via I-15, CA-247, CA-62, I-10, CA-79, I-15. Priorities include: interesting road stuff, interesting scenery, new (to me) roads, clinching roads, avoiding crappy traffic in the Inland Empire and on I-15 between Barstow and Vegas. The route I have so far lets me clinch what I have left of CA-78, US-95 in CA, I-40 in CA, CA-247, CA-79 [what exactly is the routing of 79 through Hemet these days?], and with a short diversion, CA-111 on the return trip. But I'm open to other suggestions - perhaps some old US-66 or other Mojave back roads, or going via Big Bear and CA-18?

You might want to try the Amboy Route,it connects you with the 62 and I-15 but is all backroads, you get to travel on Nationa Trails Highway for a few miles, old Route 66, and the town of Kelso is a fun stop and Amboy is interesting as well.

Ca 79 through Hemet, your best bet is when 79 turns onto Ramona Expressway , if your headed South just stay on Sanderson and you will hit Florida, 74/79 and then turn right.

agentsteel53

Hemet is all suburban Hell; I'd recommend skipping it.

I second the recommendation of Amboy Road.  Kelbaker Road and Cima Road are also good paved options.  I find myself doing 100-110 sometimes on those roads. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Interstate Trav

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 04, 2012, 10:13:52 AM
Hemet is all suburban Hell; I'd recommend skipping it.

I second the recommendation of Amboy Road.  Kelbaker Road and Cima Road are also good paved options.  I find myself doing 100-110 sometimes on those roads. 

Hemet isn't really that interesting of a town for traveling through.  I agree with you.

citrus

Follow up: I did drive to Vegas under my original plan, following CA-78, US-95, I-40, US-93. CA-78 between Brawley and Blythe was a really fun drive - lots of dips that were especially fun at 80mph, and not much traffic at all. There was one turn approaching Blythe that was not signed. US-95 was not as interesting, though I attach a shield pic. I didn't see any CHP on 78 or 95, but they were patrolling I-40 (and the AZ cops were patrolling their section of I-40....but the speed limit's 75 there).

The US-93 bridge over the Colorado River (near Hoover Dam) was interesting for one reason: if you don't know in advance, it would be hard to notice you were so close to the dam and driving over such a deep canyon. This was the first time I'd been in the area since the new bridge opened.

Other observations: the Clark County 215 shield looks weird, and there's a ton of construction going on at the 215/15 interchange. On the way back from Vegas to San Diego, I just wanted to get to SD ASAP; I left Vegas at 5:45am Monday (dropped off my girlfriend at the airport), and I just took I-15 SB the whole way. It turns out the 15 is not a bad drive when there's no traffic (aside from a few BS 60mph construction zones), and making the trip Monday morning instead of Sunday was, like, the best decision ever. I've taking Amboy Rd before (from SD to Amboy Crater), but not Kelbaker or Cima Rd. Maybe some other time.

The trip enabled me to "clinch": CA-78, and the CA sections of US-95 and I-40. If you're into that.

roadfro

Quote from: citrus on May 10, 2012, 03:45:20 AM
The US-93 bridge over the Colorado River (near Hoover Dam) was interesting for one reason: if you don't know in advance, it would be hard to notice you were so close to the dam and driving over such a deep canyon. This was the first time I'd been in the area since the new bridge opened.

The US 93 bridge over was specifically designed with high side walls (they're at least 4 feet high, where most jersey walls are commonly around 3 feet) so as to prevent people from looking off to the sides while driving over. They did not want vehicles slowing/stopping to try to get glimpses of Hoover Dam. In most smaller passenger cars (i.e. not pickups or SUVs), you cannot see over the walls while driving over the bridge.

Quote from: citrus
Other observations: the Clark County 215 shield looks weird, and there's a ton of construction going on at the 215/15 interchange.

The Clark County 215 shield is not the standard size of a county pentagon (although newer versions are close). The upper sides are shorter and lower sides are longer in order to accommodate the shape of the county's diamond logo. I'm still not too sure why the county thought they had to fit their logo in there...

The construction around the 15/215 interchange is part of NDOT's I-15 South Design-Build project, most of which is fairly complete but still issues around the 215. The project has added collector-distributor roads between interchanges from SR 160/Blue Diamond Road up to Tropicana Avenue to eliminate some of the heavy weaving movements associated with the 215. There is also beautification projects going on and bridge widenings/replacements.

Quote from: citrus
It turns out the 15 is not a bad drive when there's no traffic (aside from a few BS 60mph construction zones), and making the trip Monday morning instead of Sunday was, like, the best decision ever.

Leaving Vegas heading towards SoCal on a Monday morning is always a better decision than leaving any time on a Sunday, especially if it's a holiday weekend.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.