News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wawa

Started by PHLBOS, September 15, 2014, 10:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SectorZ on March 12, 2022, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 13, 2021, 04:49:30 PM
Wawa's biggest problem right now seems to be staffing their stores. They keep expanding without much regards to having anyone run the new locations! I know the labor shortages are a universal problem right now, but how many other chains are aggressively expanding at the same level as Wawa?

It's a problem in parts of New England as well. There are two Cumberland Farms locations in close proximity in Reading and Wakefield (each of MA 129 on opposing sides of I-95). The Wakefield one reduced its hours last fall, and recently outright closed temporarily due to the staffing issues for a couple of weeks.

Agreed, it us a problem everywhere. The last time I was in Philly last fall, I of course made numerous trips to Wawa and was surprised by the lines and the dearth of staff. And last week, I was at a Cumberland Farms in Amherst and the line went around the entire store

bzakharin

Quote from: Takumi on March 12, 2022, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on March 11, 2022, 11:39:45 PM
Quote from: skluth on March 11, 2022, 09:19:51 PM
I just discovered this thread. One of the things I missed when I left Tidewater in 2007 was Wawa. One opened near the Navy Base while I was working nearby at the now defunct JFCOM. It was very popular for many, including me, for grabbing a quick lunch. I often got gas there as I thought the price was competitive. The closest equivalent I had when I moved back to St Louis was QuikTrip.

I didn't know wawa was the Ojibwa word for goose. I did, however, know about this huge goose statue alongside the Trans-Canada Highway in Wawa and was surprised nobody mentioned it. I got to see this giant piece of kitsch on a vacation around Lake Superior when I was in junior high.

Lol when I saw this thread pop up my first thought was "should I post the Wawa Goose to be funny?", but you beat me to it. :-D As an Ontarian, Wawa will always be the town first and the gas station second. :colorful:

Heh, to South Africans "Wawa"  is a slang term for a vagina. My girlfriend always giggles when the store comes up.
In Russian it means something like "boo-boo", a kid's word for a small bruise or the like. It was amusing for awhile

jeffandnicole

Wawa has announced they're building their first store in Alabama.

https://www.csnews.com/wawa-selects-site-first-alabama-convenience-store

For someone who lives in the heart of Wawa's base market, this is an unfortunate expansion that, while many people that want or miss Wawa will favor, it dilutes the brand. They can't focus in their core area and offerings when they are trying to appease an entirely different market.

The article also quickly draws a comparison between them and Buc-ees. They are not the same. Wawa boasts fast service. They want you in, out, and on your way. Buc-ees is one step away from offering a motel room so you can spend all day there 

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2022, 10:39:02 AM

For someone who lives in the heart of Wawa's base market, this is an unfortunate expansion that, while many people that want or miss Wawa will favor, it dilutes the brand.

Different strokes for different folks? If the offerings aren't a little different in each area, then they wouldn't be paying attention. I'm sure there's some variety at a store near the shore that's different from those inland. And there's nothing in the article saying it's going to be a "Bucee's-lite".

There is no major convenience store with a stronghold in the state, it's mostly local stores.

epzik8

https://www.csnews.com/wawa-selects-site-first-alabama-convenience-store

For someone who lives in the heart of Wawa's base market, this is an unfortunate expansion that, while many people that want or miss Wawa will favor, it dilutes the brand. They can't focus in their core area and offerings when they are trying to appease an entirely different market.

The article also quickly draws a comparison between them and Buc-ees. They are not the same. Wawa boasts fast service. They want you in, out, and on your way. Buc-ees is one step away from offering a motel room so you can spend all day there

Amazing. Wawa is going places now.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NJRoadfan

Fairhope isn't too far from Florida and their planned panhandle locations, a logical expansion. I don't see them going too far inland though.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on October 24, 2022, 07:11:54 AM

For someone who lives in the heart of Wawa's base market, this is an unfortunate expansion that, while many people that want or miss Wawa will favor, it dilutes the brand.

Different strokes for different folks? If the offerings aren't a little different in each area, then they wouldn't be paying attention. I'm sure there's some variety at a store near the shore that's different from those inland. 

The shore locations are exactly the same. The variety in the northeast can be summed up with: In VA and some PA stores you'll find beer. That's about it.

And there's nothing in the article saying it's going to be a "Bucee's-lite".

3rd Paragraph is where the comparison was drawn: "And we are excited about it, I mean, we are all familiar with Buc-ee's so it's kind of a smaller version of Buc-ee's..."

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2022, 06:46:17 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 24, 2022, 07:11:54 AM

Different strokes for different folks? If the offerings aren't a little different in each area, then they wouldn't be paying attention. I'm sure there's some variety at a store near the shore that's different from those inland. 

The shore locations are exactly the same. The variety in the northeast can be summed up with: In VA and some PA stores you'll find beer. That's about it.

And there's nothing in the article saying it's going to be a "Bucee's-lite".

3rd Paragraph is where the comparison was drawn: "And we are excited about it, I mean, we are all familiar with Buc-ee's so it's kind of a smaller version of Buc-ee's..."

It'll probably be 10-20% the size of a Buc-ee's, honestly. Wawas in Florida have like 16-24 pumps and adequate parking. Maybe they'll try something a little larger but I don't think they'll be these 90-100 pump monoliths. Add in a few more bathroom stalls and call it a day. I wouldn't worry that they'll suddenly need to offer folding knives behind a glass counter and some tacky confederate flag merch just to stay relevant.

The beaver stores are ginormous now...and that's kind of annoying if you just want to stop quickly and then get back on the road, instead of threading through so many items and people wandering around in all directions (which is their intent).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.