National Boards > General Highway Talk

Large-enough cities passed over for control-city status

(1/48) > >>

golden eagle:
Southbound CA 99 in Sacramento is signed for Fresno, bypassing nearby Stockton (population 300K), about 40-45 miles south of Sacramento.

Southbound I-57 from Chicago is signed for Memphis, though Champaign could also be a control city, given that it's home to the state's flagship university and one of the larger urban areas in Illinois. Also in Chicago, southbound I-55 is signed for St. Louis, despite passing through Illinois' state capital, Springfield. Speaking of St. Louis, I-44's control city is Tulsa, passing over Springfield, MO. I could possibly justify it because it could cause confusion with Springfield, IL, 100 miles north of St. Louis.

TheHighwayMan394:
The most infamous one might be on I-95 in Maryland where Philadelphia is skipped in favor of New York City.

Kacie Jane:

--- Quote from: golden eagle on April 11, 2016, 11:36:29 PM ---Southbound CA 99 in Sacramento is signed for Fresno, bypassing nearby Stockton (population 300K), about 40-45 miles south of Sacramento.
--- End quote ---

There's probably two factors at play here. (1) 40-45 miles is maybe a bit close for a control city.  (2) I-5 and SR 99 both go from Sacramento to Stockton.  Only 99 goes to Fresno, so it makes more sense to use that to differentiate the two routes.

mariethefoxy:

--- Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 11, 2016, 11:49:44 PM ---The most infamous one might be on I-95 in Maryland where Philadelphia is skipped in favor of New York City.

--- End quote ---

that I can see because most people going up and down the east coast take the Delaware Memorial bridge to the NJ turnpike.

NWI_Irish96:
I don't know what defines "large enough" but South Bend is passed over as a control city on the eastbound Indiana Toll Road in favor of "Ohio"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version