News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chains Defunct in One Region Only to be Alive and Well in Others

Started by Avalanchez71, September 21, 2022, 11:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Texas Roadhouse
Middle Tennessee-Down to two.

Never mind it looks like they are in the process of opening a new location in Spring Hill, TN.

Boston Market
0 in Tennessee

Schlotzsky's Deli
2 in Middle Tennessee

Golden Corral
3 in Middle Tennessee

Jack in the Box
Down to 4 in Middle Tennessee

Comebacks:
Whataburger left Middle Tennessee a very long time ago and it is on the way back in and in.

Max Rockatansky

Kmart Australia versus the separate American company by the same name (it might as well be dead State side).

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ran4sh

Phillips 66 gas stations, I know there used to be some here in north GA, but I didn't know they still had locations in other states.

Harris Teeter, defunct in Atlanta but widely available in Charlotte
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ran4sh on September 22, 2022, 02:00:11 AM
Phillips 66 gas stations, I know there used to be some here in north GA, but I didn't know they still had locations in other states.

Harris Teeter, defunct in Atlanta but widely available in Charlotte
\
Same here Harris Teeter was in Middle Tennessee but is now gone.  I think they didn't want to compete with Publix when Kroger took them over.  Better to compete as Kroger than Harris Teeter.

ran4sh

Harris Teeter sold its Atlanta locations to Kroger about a decade before Kroger ended up acquiring Harris Teeter itself
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Takumi

Winn-Dixie once extended as far north as Virginia as recently as 2004.

Richmond had a few Safeway locations until the early 1990s. At least one became a Food Lion.

I know there was at least one Agip station in the area in the 90s. There don't seem to be any in the US now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Whataburger opened and then closed in Central Florida leaving none in the Tampa Bay and Orlando markets. However elsewhere they've been are still alive.

Jacksonville and Tallahassee as well as Pensacola still have them and of course Texas.  Georgia has one that I know that's in Thomasville.

Chesapeake Seafood House was a small chain in Northern VA with two in the Delaware Valley of PA.  One outside of Oxford Valley Mall in Bucks County and the other in NE Philly on US 1. All but one location remained as a whole. The Potomac Mills store was the only to survive them all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on September 22, 2022, 07:18:41 AM

Richmond had a few Safeway locations until the early 1990s. At least one became a Food Lion.

That was broader than just Richmond. They pulled out of "central Virginia" overall, including Charlottesville (which had several Safeways); I recall one of my college roommates was quite dismayed about it because he was loyal to Safeway as the chain he patronized at home in Connecticut. I distinctly remember his odd statement that he found it hard to "develop a shopping strategy" at the other Charlottesville-area grocery stores.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bing101

Shakey's Pizza is mainly forgotten in California due to current residents in the state. However Shakey's pizza is known for being inside of malls in the Philippines.

bing101

Winn-Dixie once extended as far north as Virginia as recently as 2004.

I know there was at least one Agip station in the area in the 90s. There don't seem to be any in the US now.
Safeway still exists in California mainly because it's the flagship supermarket in the Bay area and Sacramento areas.
I got another Fry's Supermarkets are defunct and forgotten in California but are well known in Arizona.

SectorZ

Pizza Hut, for reasons that should shock no one, is more or less defunct in New England after having a large presence. I used to have over a dozen within 20 miles of me, now down to two, and one of them is a take-out only location.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 22, 2022, 08:08:17 AM

That was broader than just Richmond. They pulled out of "central Virginia" overall, including Charlottesville (which had several Safeways); I recall one of my college roommates was quite dismayed about it because he was loyal to Safeway as the chain he patronized at home in Connecticut. I distinctly remember his odd statement that he found it hard to "develop a shopping strategy" at the other Charlottesville-area grocery stores.
That is an odd statement. I only remember going to Safeway once or twice, because there were closer stores. The south side of town where we lived had a couple independent grocery stores that we frequented until they became victims of Wal-Mart building a supercenter. (As was the very briefly open "The Grocery Store" , an Aldi-like concept by Hampton Roads-based Farm Fresh.) North side of town had Food Lion, Ukrop's, and Winn-Dixie. The Food Lion is still around, Ukrop's is now Publix, and Winn-Dixie was a thrift store before it became an auto body shop.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Arby's - At least three Rochester-area locations have closed in the past decade and they're down to just three locations.

Friendly's - They're gone from western NY except for one in Olean and one or two in the the Syracuse area.

MATraveler128

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2022, 11:19:32 AM
Arby's - At least three Rochester-area locations have closed in the past decade and they're down to just three locations.

It's the same deal in Massachusetts. The closest Arby's to my house is actually in New Hampshire up in Nashua. Otherwise, there's only two locations in Massachusetts. One in Auburn near the Auburn Mall and another one in Chicopee on MA 33. There used to be one at the Solomon Pond Mall, but doing a search on that reveals that it has closed. I guess that's due to the presence of several local roast beef sandwich shops in Greater Boston which are obviously better.
I mentioned this in another thread, but Krispy Kreme used to exist in very small numbers near Boston. I think there was one in Malden or Medford I forget which, but they're still thriving in the Southeastern states.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hbelkins

Both Piggly Wiggly and Winn Dixie were fairly common in this area several years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on September 22, 2022, 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 22, 2022, 08:08:17 AM

That is an odd statement. I only remember going to Safeway once or twice, because there were closer stores. The south side of town where we lived had a couple independent grocery stores that we frequented until they became victims of Wal-Mart building a supercenter. (As was the very briefly open "The Grocery Store" , an Aldi-like concept by Hampton Roads-based Farm Fresh.) North side of town had Food Lion, Ukrop's, and Winn-Dixie. The Food Lion is still around, Ukrop's is now Publix, and Winn-Dixie was a thrift store before it became an auto body shop.

There is a Safeway a few minutes' walk from our house (0.3 of a mile walking, 1.5 miles driving). I hardly ever go there because, first, I prefer Wegmans and I do most of our shopping there and, second, when I want to go to one of the grocery stores nearest to us I prefer to go to the Giant at the other end of the shopping center where Safeway is. I just plain prefer Giant to Safeway–maybe because my mom preferred Giant when I was growing up and seldom went to Safeway. My wife seems to feel the opposite, incidentally; she just went to that Safeway yesterday for her covid booster.

I remember "The Grocery Store" opening in Charlottesville in the old Safeway location at Barracks Road Shopping Center, but it didn't last very long at all and I don't remember what it became after that store closed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

skluth

Quote from: bing101 on September 22, 2022, 10:03:48 AM
Shakey's Pizza is mainly forgotten in California due to current residents in the state. However Shakey's pizza is known for being inside of malls in the Philippines.

We have a Shakey's in Palm Springs. I was surprised to see it when I moved here since I thought they were long gone. I haven't eaten there and probably won't because even though I haven't had their pizza in 40 years I can't imagine it's gotten any better than the tasteless pizza-like substance they previously served.

kphoger

White Castle started in Wichita, yet the nearest one is more than 300 miles away in another state.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

spooky

Friendly's - They're gone from western NY except for one in Olean and one or two in the the Syracuse area.

Friendly's is not alive and well in any region, although they are still somewhat well represented in western MA. In most of MA there are more buildings that used to be Friendly's then there are current Friendly's.

wriddle082

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 12:06:47 PM
White Castle started in Wichita, yet the nearest one is more than 300 miles away in another state.

That's a good one to delve into!

From my recollections, they seem to have pulled out of NE Ohio, and have reduced their Nashville-area footprint to maybe two or three locations (including one on the edge of downtown). And they have reduced their presence in the Northeast a good bit, but I have visited locations in NJ and PA along the I-78 corridor.  But they seem to still be going strong in Central and SW Ohio, parts of KY, Indianapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, and I think the Twin Cities.  And their newest markets appear to be Orlando, Phoenix, and Las Vegas.

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this!

SectorZ

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 22, 2022, 11:45:24 AM

It's the same deal in Massachusetts. The closest Arby's to my house is actually in New Hampshire up in Nashua. Otherwise, there's only two locations in Massachusetts. One in Auburn near the Auburn Mall and another one in Chicopee on MA 33. There used to be one at the Solomon Pond Mall, but doing a search on that reveals that it has closed. I guess that's due to the presence of several local roast beef sandwich shops in Greater Boston which are obviously better.
I mentioned this in another thread, but Krispy Kreme used to exist in very small numbers near Boston. I think there was one in Malden or Medford I forget which, but they're still thriving in the Southeastern states.

There was one in Medford, which (ironic given the discussion) is a Kelly's Roast Beef.

https://www.pressherald.com/2016/02/18/maine-doughnut-makers-not-worried-about-krispy-kreme-expansion/

Even when they claim to expand into New England it becomes vaporware. Supposed to be a huge expansion into northern New England six years ago, and it never happened. To this point the only one in New England is in Mohegan Sun.

[After posting this, I found this, it appears the franchisee screwed Krispy Kreme here, https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/28157354/KRISPY_KREME_DOUGHNUT_CORP_V_NH_GLAZE_HOLDING,_LLC,_ET_AL]

TheHighwayMan3561

Krispy Kreme, which largely retracted from the Midwest outside of a small handful of locations.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Avalanchez71

Quote from: spooky on September 22, 2022, 12:18:12 PM

Friendly's is not alive and well in any region, although they are still somewhat well represented in western MA. In most of MA there are more buildings that used to be Friendly's then there are current Friendly's.
Friendly's just entered in the Middle Tennessee market. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 22, 2022, 01:22:11 PM
Quote from: spooky on September 22, 2022, 12:18:12 PM

Friendly's just entered in the Middle Tennessee market.

You mentioned this before. Given that they seem to be about to go out of business:

You are referring to a sit-down restaurant that specializes in ice cream and not an entirely different business that coincidentally has the same name, right?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.