News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Whataburger vs. What-A-Burger

Started by CanesFan27, September 25, 2022, 06:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

With the recent news that the Texas-based Whataburger, known for the orange and white and distinctive A-Frame style building (logo), is coming to Charlotte, I decided to take a look at the small family-owned What-A-Burger drive-ins which can be found in some of the smaller cities outside of Charlotte.

https://www.carolinaxroads.com/2022/09/what-burger-piedmont-classic.html

Takumi

The Virginia What-A-Burger mentioned still has a few locations around the south side of Richmond, usually where there are no similar restaurants close by. One was snuffed out by a Cook Out opening a few blocks away a few years ago.

They also have probably the laziest company slogan I've ever seen: "meal on a bun" .
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Cook Out is very hard to compete with too. Great price and good value, plus awesome food.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

If we were to have a thread about fast food rip-offs, we gotta compare In-n-Out and its Chinese-born clone Caliburger (which expanded to the U.S. a few years ago).

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on September 25, 2022, 07:15:03 PM
The Virginia What-A-Burger mentioned still has a few locations around the south side of Richmond, usually where there are no similar restaurants close by. One was snuffed out by a Cook Out opening a few blocks away a few years ago.

They also have probably the laziest company slogan I've ever seen: "meal on a bun" .

My understanding was that the Colonial Heights one specifically closed due to the US 1/US 301 Boulevard Reconstruction a few years ago.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Bruce on September 25, 2022, 08:55:38 PM
If we were to have a thread about fast food rip-offs, we gotta compare In-n-Out and its Chinese-born clone Caliburger (which expanded to the U.S. a few years ago).

Actually, if you're looking for an In-n-Out clone, try Mr. Beast Burger.  They're opening ghost kitchens in several existing restaurants such as one that's been discussed in this thread: Friendly's.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Rip off? Explain.

I had a great meal at the In and Out in Grants Pass, OR and got great value for my seven bucks.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2022, 02:21:28 AM

Rip off? Explain.

I had a great meal at the In and Out in Grants Pass, OR and got great value for my seven bucks.

Rip-offs as in clones, not value.

ZLoth

I know this is sacrilege, but if I want a good burger from a chain, I go to.... Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers. Sorry, not In-And-Out for this former Californian or What-A-Burger for this Texan. They're OK, but I've found better. If I really want a good burger, I head to one of the local family owned eateries. Of course, I'm always time-challenged, so What-A-Burger it is then.

After moving to Texas, I do miss Carl's Jr and the pile-of-sin called the "Western Bacon Cheeseburger". The closest locations are in Anna and Rockwall. Both are at least a 30-minute drive away, and one is even longer if I want to avoid utilizing the toll road.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

How has there not been a legal battle over these similar names?

Quote from: ZLoth on September 26, 2022, 09:04:13 AM
I know this is sacrilege, but if I want a good burger from a chain, I go to.... Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers. Sorry, not In-And-Out for this former Californian or What-A-Burger for this Texan. They're OK, but I've found better. If I really want a good burger, I head to one of the local family owned eateries. Of course, I'm always time-challenged, so What-A-Burger it is then.

After moving to Texas, I do miss Carl's Jr and the pile-of-sin called the "Western Bacon Cheeseburger". The closest locations are in Anna and Rockwall. Both are at least a 30-minute drive away, and one is even longer if I want to avoid utilizing the toll road.

I like Freddy's, but I think I like Culver's better.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2022, 09:23:23 AM

I like Freddy's, but I think I like Culver's better.

Again, one of those "it's 30 minutes away" restaurants, and I only visited the McKinney, TX location. I only visited once, and while it was OK, but it merits one or two more return visits to really get a good feel. What is your favorite meal there?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Henry

This sort of reminds me of the Burger King off I-57 that is completely unrelated to the national chain of the same name. I must confess, I've never had anything from either Whataburger or What-A-Burger, but their choices are far more intriguing than the standard fare from BK/McDonalds/Wendy's. Definitely bucket list material, and I'll check them out on my next trip south.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CanesFan27

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 26, 2022, 02:09:56 AM

Actually, if you're looking for an In-n-Out clone, try Mr. Beast Burger.  They're opening ghost kitchens in several existing restaurants such as one that's been discussed in this thread: Friendly's.

Mr. Beast used Wilson, NC's Burger Boy as his "launch restaurant"  for Mr. Beast Burger's for one day back in 2020.

http://www.carolinaxroads.com/2022/01/burger-boy-wilson.html

Other than that one instance it is all exclusively "ghost kitchens."  

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2022, 09:23:23 AM
How has there not been a legal battle over these similar names?

Tell me you didn't read the story without telling me you didn't read the story.

"The Bost family started their What-A-Burger chain in 1956.  Eventually, nearly a dozen locations operated in the Central North Carolina Piedmont.  Yet around the same time, two other groups started similarly named restaurants.  In Virginia, the Branch Brothers started their own What-A-Burger chain of restaurants in 1957.  They first opened in Newport News and eventually spread into Richmond and South Carolina. 

The most well-known What-A-Burger is the Whataburger franchise out of Texas.  Started in 1950 by Harmon Dobson in Corpus Christi, Texas, Whataburger is now over 800 locations throughout the Southern and Southwestern United States.  It wasn't until 1970 that either the Virginia group or Texas group knew of one another.  Thirty-five years later, the Texas and Virginia companies sued each other over copyright/trademark infringement.  The Bost families were not named in either of the lawsuits.  The Court of Appeals sided in favor of the Texas group of having the first copyright; however, the court found that since the two companies operated so far apart customers would not be confused by the name.  As a result, the ruling also allowed the Bost families to keep the What-A-Burger name."

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Henry on September 26, 2022, 10:06:17 AM
This sort of reminds me of the Burger King off I-57 that is completely unrelated to the national chain of the same name. I must confess, I've never had anything from either Whataburger or What-A-Burger, but their choices are far more intriguing than the standard fare from BK/McDonalds/Wendy's. Definitely bucket list material, and I'll check them out on my next trip south.

The chain we know of as Burger King had to go by Hungry Jack's in Australian markets because of an unrelated Burger King already in existence there as well, I believe.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 25, 2022, 10:20:56 PM
Quote from: Takumi on September 25, 2022, 07:15:03 PM

My understanding was that the Colonial Heights one specifically closed due to the US 1/US 301 Boulevard Reconstruction a few years ago.
Yeah, that probably finished it off (the parking lot was still intact throughout the whole debacle, but the construction was such a mess that driving through there was a mess for longer than it should have been) but it was doomed when Cook Out opened and never recovered.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Road Hog

Scott5114

There is a Freddy's in Norman, but it's never found its way onto our regular rotation because it's 1) on the west side and 2) it is at a very busy intersection and seems to be inevitably on the "wrong corner" of said intersection for most any path I'd be taking through the area.

I like Whataburger's food a lot, but the one here in Norman is always so colossally swamped that any sojourn through there is guaranteed to take 30 minutes, sometimes longer. Who would have thought that having one location in a city of 100,000+ (a good chunk of which are Texans here for college) wouldn't work out so well? I basically only use Whataburger as an option when I'm in some other city and I notice that the line isn't backed up all to hell.

My experience at In-N-Out has been much more pleasant in comparison. I've only been there twice, but the wait was short and the food was good both times. I imagine my experience might differ if I were to go there a whole bunch or visit a location with a lot of expat Californians nearby.

Carl's Jr. is meh. The flavors of their food are good but the presentation always leaves something to be desired. Burgers usually come with wilted lettuce and ten gallons of mayo. I'm always tempted to buy it plain and add the condiments at home, but if I have to do that, why the hell am I buying a burger from someone else in the first place?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 26, 2022, 08:25:06 PM
Carl's Jr. is meh. The flavors of their food are good but the presentation always leaves something to be desired. Burgers usually come with wilted lettuce and ten gallons of mayo. I'm always tempted to buy it plain and add the condiments at home, but if I have to do that, why the hell am I buying a burger from someone else in the first place?

So you don't have to cook a hamburger?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

The closest I normally can get to a Whataburger/In n Out in my travels is New Mexico's version:  Blake's Lotaburger.

jgb191

I have gladly stayed away from In-N-Out, and still have zero interest in even stepping foot in one of those.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

Quote from: jgb191 on October 27, 2022, 12:30:12 AM
I have gladly stayed away from In-N-Out, and still have zero interest in even stepping foot in one of those.

I'm on a trip to Las Vegas at the moment. On the way here, we stopped at a Whataburger in Amarillo. Two days later, we had In-N-Out in Las Vegas.

In-N-Out blew Whataburger out of the water. It wasn't even close. And I'm traveling with a Texan, who agreed with that assessment.

(On the day in between, we ate at Carl's Jr. in Winslow, Arizona. It was meh.)

jgb191

^ I think several others chains and local burger joints blow Whataburger out of the water.  Whataburger products just aren't the same as it used to be back in the days.  But Whataburger does have something In-N-Out won't sell....chicken sandwiches/products.  It is for that reason In-N-Out will always be "Out" of my consideration.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

Fair enough, I suppose. I like Whataburger's chicken (although I don't order it very often because it makes the wait even longer).

One thing that was sort of weird about the Whataburger in Amarillo was that it required a password to get into the bathroom. That was a new one for me. I don't think the one in Norman is like that.

texaskdog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.