Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Thoughts on the unconstructed portion of CA-65

(1/2) > >>

MrAndy1369:
I've been looking at old maps and kept seeing the dotted lines for the unconstructed portion of CA-65, between Roseville and Exeter. If CA-65 was ever constructed (in the past, or more doubtfully, in the future), do you think it'd be a twin of I-5?

Reason I ask is because I-5 is more on the "edge" of the foothills, so it traverses both flat farmland and gentle rolling hills. CA-99 traverses across flat farmland, is a bit narrower than I-5, and has more trees surrounding the freeway.

Based on the dotted lines, it looks like CA-65, if constructed, would appear more like I-5, traversing across rolling "edges" of the foothills, and some flat farmland.

Also, was CA-65 originally intended to be a full freeway all the way from Exeter to Roseville?

Max Rockatansky:
All of 65 is part of the Freeway & Expressway System.  My guess is that it would have been built as an expressway and gradually closed off to freeway standards as need.  Essentially much of the unbuilt corridor of 65 is a close overlay for the Stockton-Los Angeles Road through the Sierra Foothills.  It certainly would have had value as an above the Tule Fog line Route compared to 99. 

MrAndy1369:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2022, 03:49:08 PM ---All of 65 is part of the Freeway & Expressway System.  My guess is that it would have been built as an expressway and gradually closed off to freeway standards as need.  Essentially much of the unbuilt corridor of 65 is a close overlay for the Stockton-Los Angeles Road through the Sierra Foothills.  It certainly would have had value as an above the Tule Fog line Route compared to 99.

--- End quote ---

I tried looking for that specific road (Stockton-Los Angeles Road) on Google Maps, but could not see any roads named as that. Do you mind pointing me to the right area?

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: MrAndy1369 on September 30, 2022, 04:36:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2022, 03:49:08 PM ---All of 65 is part of the Freeway & Expressway System.  My guess is that it would have been built as an expressway and gradually closed off to freeway standards as need.  Essentially much of the unbuilt corridor of 65 is a close overlay for the Stockton-Los Angeles Road through the Sierra Foothills.  It certainly would have had value as an above the Tule Fog line Route compared to 99.

--- End quote ---

I tried looking for that specific road (Stockton-Los Angeles Road) on Google Maps, but could not see any roads named as that. Do you mind pointing me to the right area?

--- End quote ---

About the only vestige you’ll find on Google Maps is Old Millerton Road.  My site has more detail:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/09/ghost-town-tuesday-millerton-california.html?m=1

MrAndy1369:
Thank you. Apologies in advance for asking so many questions, but it looks like Old Millerton Road is more of a curvy foothill road, not a straight farmland-style road that can easily be converted to an expressway/freeway like I-5 and 99 were. My vision of the unconstructed portion of CA-65 was that it would be straight and on more flat land, with some gentle slopes and rolling hills, similar to I-5. Is this vision wrong, and would CA-65 have been built as more of a true foothill/small mountain style road that curved back and forth?

Your website is awesome, by the way. :)

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2022, 04:43:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: MrAndy1369 on September 30, 2022, 04:36:29 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

About the only vestige you’ll find on Google Maps is Old Millerton Road.  My site has more detail:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/09/ghost-town-tuesday-millerton-california.html?m=1

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version