News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2022, 02:31:17 PM

QuoteThere are a couple of obstacles that must be overcome. In Indiana, the mileposts run in the wrong direction to join up with I-265 in Kentucky. Additionally, FHWA has included a requirement for Kentucky to commit to renumbering I-265 in order to have I-265 start at I-65 with a 0.0 milepost. KYTC is considering this request comparing the cost to resign and the economic impact of those along the corridor (recognizing advertising costs relating to changing exit numbers). KYTC is coordinating with Indiana and FHWA on the request and FHWA's requests. Indiana has a project in the works to rework its signage.

So basically, Indiana will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at the state line and running west to I-64. And Kentucky will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at I-65. (Currently, mileposting and exit numbers start at the west end of KY 841 at US 31W/US 60.)

I think it would make sense to number the KY 841 standalone section between US 31W/60 and I-65 as I-265 since Dixie Highway is on the NHS.

It would make sense to designate the Snyder from I-65 to Dixie Hwy as I-265 for two reasons:

1) It saves KY the cost of renumbering, re-signing.

2) If you renumber starting at I-65, you end up with duplicate mileages from 0-10
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2022, 02:48:52 PM
OK, I got an answer.

QuoteThe Kentucky Transportation Cabinet submitted a request to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in May 2022 for KY 841 to be designated as Interstate 265. The corridor meets interstate design standards. The request is still under consideration and KYTC and INDOT are coordinating to ensure consistent signage between the states.

But there's more to the story:

QuoteThere are a couple of obstacles that must be overcome. In Indiana, the mileposts run in the wrong direction to join up with I-265 in Kentucky. Additionally, FHWA has included a requirement for Kentucky to commit to renumbering I-265 in order to have I-265 start at I-65 with a 0.0 milepost. KYTC is considering this request comparing the cost to resign and the economic impact of those along the corridor (recognizing advertising costs relating to changing exit numbers). KYTC is coordinating with Indiana and FHWA on the request and FHWA's requests. Indiana has a project in the works to rework its signage.

So basically, Indiana will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at the state line and running west to I-64. And Kentucky will have to renumber its mileposts and exits starting at I-65. (Currently, mileposting and exit numbers start at the west end of KY 841 at US 31W/US 60.)

I think it would make sense to number the KY 841 standalone section between US 31W/60 and I-65 as I-265 since Dixie Highway is on the NHS.
KY is just one letter from NY.  Who knew the states were so similar?  NY's been "considering the request" of mileage-based exit numbers for decades now.

In terms of stalling, KY has now adopted the methods of NY... :D

I wouldn't go that far. The request to FHWA is only about five months old, and the request back from FHWA to KYTC is probably younger than that.

I may be getting access to around two dozen pages of notes, correspondence, etc. regarding this matter. That might make for a good insomnia cure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ilpt4u

I would assume Indiana, if having to renumber exits, would simply continue KY's I-265 mileage and exit numbers for a continuous 3/4 beltway...

But if that is InDOT's plan, then they need to wait on KYTC to see if Kentucky resets I-265's "zero"  point to I-65, or perhaps applies for an I-265 designation extension to Dixie Highway, to see if then FHWA would be OK with that interchange being the "zero"  point.

But if that is the reported road block(s) from FHWA to posting a continuous I-265, I really feel like their major "problem"  is KY and IN mileage both counting "up"  to the Ohio River Bridge and they really want that resolved

Alex

Hope the FHWA is putting Oklahoma through the same level of scrutiny with the I-240 beltway request.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2022, 03:58:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2022, 02:48:52 PM
OK, I got an answer.

QuoteThe Kentucky Transportation Cabinet submitted a request to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in May 2022 for KY 841 to be designated as Interstate 265. The corridor meets interstate design standards. The request is still under consideration and KYTC and INDOT are coordinating to ensure consistent signage between the states.

But there's more to the story:

KY is just one letter from NY.  Who knew the states were so similar?  NY's been "considering the request" of mileage-based exit numbers for decades now.

In terms of stalling, KY has now adopted the methods of NY... :D

I wouldn't go that far. The request to FHWA is only about five months old, and the request back from FHWA to KYTC is probably younger than that.

I may be getting access to around two dozen pages of notes, correspondence, etc. regarding this matter. That might make for a good insomnia cure.

Oh, come on.  Let's just call a duck a duck.  I'm sure KY won't stall decades like NY since you're new to this game.  Still, the fact KY is trying to be like NY is just so gosh-darned cute.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm just surprised that Indiana and Kentucky didn't work out the exit numbering when they decided to join the two I-265s back in the 1990s.
Kentucky & Ohio didn't have the same issue with exit numbering for I-275 & I-471.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ilpt4u

I-295 in PA and NJ both count mileage/exits "up"  to their meeting over the Delaware River, and that segment was a somewhat recent designation after the 95 Final Routing was finally applied

The whole thing with 265 just seems odd

nwi_navigator_1181

I-265 is such a unique case. It doesn't go a full circle and its designation ends west of I-65 in the southwestern quadrant in Kentucky. With that, I wouldn't use the Ohio River as a point of reference, so let's take it out.

The northwestern terminus isn't even the parent route (I-64). So what they should to is start from 0 at I-65 in Kentucky, and count up counterclockwise to I-64. Keeps it universal and consistent.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

is the portion west of 65 in ky getting a shield? maybe i-965?  :hmmm:

wriddle082

FHWA needs to approve I-265 from US 31W/60 (a NHS route that serves a military base) to I-65.  Then KYTC needs to eliminate the KY 841 designation altogether.  Then they can just leave the exit numbering alone, and INDOT can start renumbering at the Ohio River Bridge going counter-clockwise.

It doesn't matter that the 0 milepost for I-265 won't be at I-65.  I-635 in the Dallas area has its northwestern end at TX 121, so there's precedence for an even-first-digit 3di not having both endpoints at an interstate.  Same with I-264 in Virginia Beach.  To me it doesn't matter.  If they're going to have odd-first-digit 3di interstates have both endpoints at interstates these days (which I'm against), then in my eyes the rules don't seem to matter anyway.

hbelkins

I don't know if the plan is for Indiana to continue Kentucky's mileage and exit numbers, or reset at the state line.

silverback1065

Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2022, 03:01:13 PM
I don't know if the plan is for Indiana to continue Kentucky's mileage and exit numbers, or reset at the state line.

Is anything going to happen to the portion west of 65 in ky?

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 29, 2022, 10:02:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2022, 03:01:13 PM

Is anything going to happen to the portion west of 65 in ky?

Current proposals would leave it KY 841.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.in.gov/indot/about-indot/central-office/welcome-to-the-seymour-district/i-265-resigning/

INDOT, in coordination with KYTC, will be resigning KY 841 and IN 265 to I-265 with new exit numbers on the Indiana section of I-265.

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/IN-265-Map-Graphic.pdf

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/IN-265-Info-Graphic-1.pdf

Construction of new signage is expected to begin as early as Fall 2023 and will be completed on or before Summer 2025.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 01, 2023, 04:04:50 PM
https://www.in.gov/indot/about-indot/central-office/welcome-to-the-seymour-district/i-265-resigning/

INDOT, in coordination with KYTC, will be resigning KY 841 and IN 265 to I-265 with new exit numbers on the Indiana section of I-265.

Construction of new signage is expected to begin as early as Fall 2023 and will be completed on or before Summer 2025.

It's going to take almost 2 years to put new signs up?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 01, 2023, 04:04:50 PM

That's good to hear, although it seems like a long time to get it implemented.

Here is a map of the new exit numbers:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

The Ghostbuster

The Interstate 265 Wikipedia page has been updated to reflect the new exit numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_265. One question remains: will KY 841 remain co-signed with Interstate 265 between present-day exit 10/future exit 0 and the Lewis And Clark Bridge? I say it is high-time the KY 841 designation was truncated to only run from US 31W eastward to Interstate 65.

seicer

I suspect the new numbering won't be complete until the I-Moves project (and all of its new signage) is done.

ilpt4u

It would be cool if INDOT added "Bypass" -like Long Distance Controls also at this time. Indy and Cincy for 265EB from I-64. STL for 265WB from i-65. Cincy and Lexington for 265EB from I-65. We'll see, I guess

triplemultiplex

I'm annoyed this wasn't done as soon as the new bridge was completed.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

So it looks like Kentucky is going to have to renumber all of the Gene Snyder Freeway exits from I-65 around to I-71. There's been no announcement here about it.

In all honesty, they should extend the I-265 designation west from I-65 to Dixie Highway.

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2023, 08:59:21 PM
So it looks like Kentucky is going to have to renumber all of the Gene Snyder Freeway exits from I-65 around to I-71. There's been no announcement here about it.

In all honesty, they should extend the I-265 designation west from I-65 to Dixie Highway.

Yeah I agree.  Dixie Highway is probably on the NHS even if it isn't an interstate, and it's perfectly acceptable for an interstate to end at a highway that is, at the bare minimum, on the NHS.  And 841 west of 65 is perfectly indistinguishable from the rest of 265.  And make either Radcliff or Fort Knox the control city, mainly because West Point and Muldraugh each have >1000 population.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 02, 2023, 09:45:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2023, 08:59:21 PM

Yeah I agree.  Dixie Highway is probably on the NHS even if it isn't an interstate, and it's perfectly acceptable for an interstate to end at a highway that is, at the bare minimum, on the NHS.  And 841 west of 65 is perfectly indistinguishable from the rest of 265.  And make either Radcliff or Fort Knox the control city, mainly because West Point and Muldraugh each have >1000 population.

I think Fort Knox and Shively are the options at the end of the Snyder.

vtk

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 01, 2023, 11:21:54 PM
It would be cool if INDOT added "Bypass" -like Long Distance Controls also at this time. Indy and Cincy for 265EB from I-64. STL for 265WB from i-65. Cincy and Lexington for 265EB from I-65. We'll see, I guess

That's no longer current practice. Some time in the last decade, FHWA declared that circumferential routes just shouldn't have control cities at all.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Rothman

Quote from: vtk on March 05, 2023, 03:28:21 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 01, 2023, 11:21:54 PM

That's no longer current practice. Some time in the last decade, FHWA declared that circumferential routes just shouldn't have control cities at all.

Where did FHWA do this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.