News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 05, 2019, 02:44:12 PM
Looking at aerial views of SR-37/future Interstate 69 through Martinsville, it looks like upgrading the existing roadway to Interstate Standards will be a tight squeeze. Did they ever propose building a bypass of the existing SR-37 bypass? Also, how many homes and businesses will have to be demolished in order to convert the SR-37 bypass into Interstate 69?

The final layout can be found here:

https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2345.htm

Which shows properties that required acquisition and clearing and how the road will be laid out.

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on November 03, 2019, 08:50:54 PM
I just finished surveying the use of Sartor Ditch.

It originates northeast of town around Reuben Drive, for reasons I can't understand, it doesn't increase in capacity as it moves south along the east side of town.

All of that urban runoff collection is then funneled through 2 pipes under IN-37 with a trench depth of less than 5 feet when farther up the ditch has a much deeper draft. And then it narrows into a weed and tree choked 3 foot ditch before Indian Creek.

The fact they haven't had a serious flood before this is probably pure luck.  I see Morgan County hasn't done much past Mahalasville Road to improve the ditch since the flood.

So any excess runoff is going to get choked south of IN-37 and work its way back into town. There is no retention mechanisms here along the way except street culverts, so any large runoffs simply back up at each culvert until it clears.  But if the final culvert is choked out, it doesn't matter what improvements they make farther up.

Looking at older and newer overheads of Martinsville, I suspect the problem started when they built the new high school east of town. They put in 3 new drainage tile to catch runoff from the parking lot, the football and baseball fields.  But the city did nothing to improve the additional runoff south of South Street. So it just simply backed up into the Spring Valley Mobile Home park.  You can see where the city replaced many of the original steel culverts, but didn't increase the draft of the ditch. I don't know the specifics of that mobile home park, but I would guess they have had several floods there over the years. Also when that retail center was built on the west side of Ohio Street north of IN-37, the main drainage runoff is a tile that runs into, yep, Sartor Ditch.

That explains why it backed up all the way into the Kroger.

I am sure the Morgan County has known about this for some time, but as long as the backup never impacted them in a serious way, just bothered some mobile home owners, I am sure there was a lot of lassez faire involved.

Suggestion:

Increase the ditch draft south of IN-37/I-69 all the way down Mahalasville Road. Purchase the vacant land west of the Indiana Power substation and create an overflow retention pond. Give it a high inflow at the east end and low out flow at the west end. This will do a better job of catching large runoffs from a local rain event. Is low maintenance and not subject to brush/log jams.

This is an excellent analysis of the hydrology of Sartor Ditch. Even thought INDOT and its design/engineering contractor for the Martinsville segment, HNTB, are quite aware of Sartor Ditch and its issues, they the may find your analysis informative. Consider zipping an email to HNTB's downtown Indianapolis office. 

I, too, have wondered why Sartor Ditch doesn't seem to increase in capacity. One possible explanation is there's a large aquifer near that area of Martinsville that's recharged during precipitation events. The water has to go somewhere and that somewhere is either into Sartor Ditch, into storm sewers, or into the ground.

By the way, from the late 1880s to the 1930s, Martinsville was well known for it mineral springs spas. It was quite the place for people to experience the "healing" waters back in the day.

Link: Martinsville Sanatariums https://indianapublicmedia.org/momentofindianahistory/martinsville-sanatariums/

silverback1065

Project has a winner.  Walsh for $164,862,215.88 Saw it on INDOT's site (martinsville segment)

ilpt4u

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 14, 2019, 01:09:53 PM
Project has a winner.  Walsh for $164,862,215.88 Saw it on INDOT's site (martinsville segment)
So will Walsh get naming rights to I-69 once completed? Seems like they have been doing a lot of the work, cleaning up and finishing the Bloomington segment and now taking on the Martinsville segment

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on November 11, 2019, 01:57:10 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on November 03, 2019, 08:50:54 PM
I just finished surveying the use of Sartor Ditch.

It originates northeast of town around Reuben Drive, for reasons I can't understand, it doesn't increase in capacity as it moves south along the east side of town.

All of that urban runoff collection is then funneled through 2 pipes under IN-37 with a trench depth of less than 5 feet when farther up the ditch has a much deeper draft. And then it narrows into a weed and tree choked 3 foot ditch before Indian Creek.

The fact they haven't had a serious flood before this is probably pure luck.  I see Morgan County hasn't done much past Mahalasville Road to improve the ditch since the flood.

So any excess runoff is going to get choked south of IN-37 and work its way back into town. There is no retention mechanisms here along the way except street culverts, so any large runoffs simply back up at each culvert until it clears.  But if the final culvert is choked out, it doesn't matter what improvements they make farther up.

Looking at older and newer overheads of Martinsville, I suspect the problem started when they built the new high school east of town. They put in 3 new drainage tile to catch runoff from the parking lot, the football and baseball fields.  But the city did nothing to improve the additional runoff south of South Street. So it just simply backed up into the Spring Valley Mobile Home park.  You can see where the city replaced many of the original steel culverts, but didn't increase the draft of the ditch. I don't know the specifics of that mobile home park, but I would guess they have had several floods there over the years. Also when that retail center was built on the west side of Ohio Street north of IN-37, the main drainage runoff is a tile that runs into, yep, Sartor Ditch.

That explains why it backed up all the way into the Kroger.

I am sure the Morgan County has known about this for some time, but as long as the backup never impacted them in a serious way, just bothered some mobile home owners, I am sure there was a lot of lassez faire involved.

Suggestion:

Increase the ditch draft south of IN-37/I-69 all the way down Mahalasville Road. Purchase the vacant land west of the Indiana Power substation and create an overflow retention pond. Give it a high inflow at the east end and low out flow at the west end. This will do a better job of catching large runoffs from a local rain event. Is low maintenance and not subject to brush/log jams.

This is an excellent analysis of the hydrology of Sartor Ditch. Even thought INDOT and its design/engineering contractor for the Martinsville segment, HNTB, are quite aware of Sartor Ditch and its issues, they the may find your analysis informative. Consider zipping an email to HNTB's downtown Indianapolis office. 

I, too, have wondered why Sartor Ditch doesn't seem to increase in capacity. One possible explanation is there's a large aquifer near that area of Martinsville that's recharged during precipitation events. The water has to go somewhere and that somewhere is either into Sartor Ditch, into storm sewers, or into the ground.

By the way, from the late 1880s to the 1930s, Martinsville was well known for it mineral springs spas. It was quite the place for people to experience the "healing" waters back in the day.

Link: Martinsville Sanatariums https://indianapublicmedia.org/momentofindianahistory/martinsville-sanatariums/

Thank you for the compliments.

The website for HNTB Indianapolis appears to be down.

Before shooting off an email half-cocked, I decided to wade (pun intended) through the EIS and see if I could find a rational hydrology report on expected water flows in either cfs or cms to see if they had done any kind of analysis on how the new ROW would impact flow characteristics.

Lots of data and classifications of the various wetlands. Even the forest I described as a good locale for a runoff next to the IP substation was listed as a "natural retention wetland" prior to Indian Creek.

Sartor Ditch was registered as a "perennial" waterway (meaning water flows all year round) that is served by several semi-perennials and dry arteries.

The parking lot for business across Ohio is a dry artery as well and the new I-69 will have arteries (from runoff) serving Sartor once finished. There are some semi-perennials in some other neighborhoods that flow into Sartor.

Now, I could be blind, and just not seeing it, but I cannot find in the entire EIS any research, notation or discussion on supporting the changing flow characteristics of Sartor Ditch.  Technically, no longer just a "ditch" running along the east side of town, it is now a perennial waterway that now picks up a large quantity of water via rain events periodically, and now picks up much more runoff than before, especially from dry tributaries.

The fact the EIS doesn't discuss how much max cfs/cms the new ROW could supply to Sartor over a particular or average weather event is (to me) mysterious.

The report notes that many wetlands around Martinsville are essentially transitory in the natural flow of water towards the White River basin, some via Indian Creek.

OK, great, but how did they determine how high the road needed to be over Sartor? Bridge and ROW design is data driven as well. and bridges over any water body are designed to provide best case clearance based on certain flow metrics.

The environment document found here:

https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/I69S6FEIS_Ch4.3_NatEnv.pdf

shows that the area with a boundary of I-69, Ohio Street and the mobile home park has a 1% chance of flooding in a 100 year lifespan.

That is all I could find. Anything like Sartor Ditch are considered under the direction of the IDEM (Indiana Department of Environmental Management) not the USEPA (US Evironmental Protection Agency)

So at this point, it appears they didn't find it very relevant.

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on November 15, 2019, 10:45:33 PM
... I decided to wade (pun intended) through the EIS and see if I could find a rational hydrology report on expected water flows in either cfs or cms to see if they had done any kind of analysis on how the new ROW would impact flow characteristics.

Lots of data and classifications of the various wetlands. Even the forest I described as a good locale for a runoff next to the IP substation was listed as a "natural retention wetland" prior to Indian Creek.

Sartor Ditch was registered as a "perennial" waterway (meaning water flows all year round) that is served by several semi-perennials and dry arteries.

The parking lot for business across Ohio is a dry artery as well and the new I-69 will have arteries (from runoff) serving Sartor once finished. There are some semi-perennials in some other neighborhoods that flow into Sartor.

Now, I could be blind, and just not seeing it, but I cannot find in the entire EIS any research, notation or discussion on supporting the changing flow characteristics of Sartor Ditch.  Technically, no longer just a "ditch" running along the east side of town, it is now a perennial waterway that now picks up a large quantity of water via rain events periodically, and now picks up much more runoff than before, especially from dry tributaries.

The fact the EIS doesn't discuss how much max cfs/cms the new ROW could supply to Sartor over a particular or average weather event is (to me) mysterious.

The report notes that many wetlands around Martinsville are essentially transitory in the natural flow of water towards the White River basin, some via Indian Creek.

OK, great, but how did they determine how high the road needed to be over Sartor? Bridge and ROW design is data driven as well. and bridges over any water body are designed to provide best case clearance based on certain flow metrics.

That is all I could find. Anything like Sartor Ditch are considered under the direction of the IDEM (Indiana Department of Environmental Management) not the USEPA (US Evironmental Protection Agency)

I came across some Hydraulic Data in the actual drawing/plan sets uploaded by INDOT. These sets were done by HNTB, the design and engineering consultant for the Martinsville segment. Here's an example:

It appears hydrology analysis was undertaken during the design phase, which, of course, came after the EIS. But, yes, it is a surprising more details weren't provided in the EIS.

Link: INDOT document portal https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/Results.aspx

To find plans and drawings, as well as other documents for the Martinsville segment of Section 6, search using the Contract #: 33493
The above drawing was found in Plans/Drawing Sets in tab "FT Plans 6of13 0500430 for Contract Services" (page 47 of 183).

Edit: Minor wording changes for clarity.

ITB

For those interested here are the INDOT Apparent Bid Results (November 14, 2019 letting) for Contract #33493, aka the Martinsville segment of Section 6. Please note these results are UNOFFICIAL. As the bidding was very competitive, the contract administrators at INDOT will likely take a little extra time to examine the bids before officially awarding the contract.

Link: INDOT Contract Letting https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on November 18, 2019, 10:01:46 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on November 15, 2019, 10:45:33 PM
... I decided to wade (pun intended) through the EIS and see if I could find a rational hydrology report on expected water flows in either cfs or cms to see if they had done any kind of analysis on how the new ROW would impact flow characteristics.

I came across some Hydraulic Data in the actual drawing/plan sets uploaded by INDOT. These sets were done by HNTB, the design and engineering consultant for the Martinsville segment. Here's an example:

It appears hydrology analysis was undertaken during the design phase, which, of course, came after the EIS. But, yes, it is a surprising more details weren't provided in the EIS.

Link: INDOT document portal https://erms.indot.in.gov/viewdocs/Results.aspx

To find plans and drawings, as well as other documents for the Martinsville segment of Section 6, search using the Contract #: 33493
The above drawing was found in Plans/Drawing Sets in tab "FT Plans 6of13 0500430 for Contract Services" (page 47 of 183).

Edit: Minor wording changes for clarity.

Thank you. Very helpful and I will take a look at it. I don't think I would have found this myself.

ITB

It's been a while, so today I motored up to Martinsville, Indiana, for a look-see. Photos were taken January 1, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Grand Valley Blvd. overpass, Martinsville, Indiana

Construction continues on the overpass that will carry Grand Valley Blvd. over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Martinsville, Indiana; looking east.

Different perspective of the overpass; looking east.

The approach to the overpass from South Street in Martinsville; looking east.

Underneath the overpass; looking east.

The shared-use path which will connect Martinsville High School to the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass and roadway; looking north.

Another look at the overpass; looking northeast.

And another from underneath; looking east.

View of the work zone; looking slightly southeast.

Milestone, the contractor of the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass and related local roadways in Martinsville, appears to be making significant progress and may substantially complete the overpass by late spring, if not a bit earlier. At this time, the overpass is the only construction project currently underway in Martinsville. But that will soon change as Walsh Construction gears up this spring to build the Martinsville segment of Interstate 69, work that will involve the construction of four interchanges, the relocation of a stream – Sartor Ditch – improvements to local roads, and, of course, the upgrading of State Road 37 to interstate standards.

tdindy88

I was just riding along I-69 yesterday when I passed Martinsville and I was thinking, we haven't heard from ITB for a while.

At least 2020 promises some more action along I-69 than last year did. I'm pretty certain it was the quietest year on I-69 development in Southern Indiana since the entire project started just north of I-64.

Leaving the only gas station near the interstate from between Exits 10 and 114, I saw a small sign near the ramp from northbound US 231 to I-69 north with a mention to Bloomington. Perhaps the first ever mention of any northbound control destination along that highway.

Though I do wonder if this sign installation has more to do with Crane than anything else. I get the feeling that Crane was tired of INDOT dragging their feet on directing traffic from the Naval Warfare Center up toward Bloomington via I-69 and got the sign put up.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on November 18, 2019, 09:43:37 PM

Thank you. Very helpful and I will take a look at it. I don't think I would have found this myself.

Most EISs don't have detailed hydraulic/hydrology information. They usually speak in generalities. There is a reason for this; they identify the permits that are needed, but don't go to the extent of applying for them. Permits have an expiration date, and they may change due to what is found during detailed design. The best time to secure the permits is within a year of letting, so that they are fresh and where the details have been vetted thru the design process.

silverback1065

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 02, 2020, 12:15:43 PM

Most EISs don't have detailed hydraulic/hydrology information. They usually speak in generalities. There is a reason for this; they identify the permits that are needed, but don't go to the extent of applying for them. Permits have an expiration date, and they may change due to what is found during detailed design. The best time to secure the permits is within a year of letting, so that they are fresh and where the details have been vetted thru the design process.

as a person having to make and submit permits for projects like this, I agree. Also, I hate permits  :banghead:

jnewkirk77

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 02, 2020, 08:13:04 AM
I was just riding along I-69 yesterday when I passed Martinsville and I was thinking, we haven't heard from ITB for a while.

At least 2020 promises some more action along I-69 than last year did. I'm pretty certain it was the quietest year on I-69 development in Southern Indiana since the entire project started just north of I-64.

Leaving the only gas station near the interstate from between Exits 10 and 114, I saw a small sign near the ramp from northbound US 231 to I-69 north with a mention to Bloomington. Perhaps the first ever mention of any northbound control destination along that highway.

Though I do wonder if this sign installation has more to do with Crane than anything else. I get the feeling that Crane was tired of INDOT dragging their feet on directing traffic from the Naval Warfare Center up toward Bloomington via I-69 and got the sign put up.

I don't know exactly when it happened, but the sign went up fairly soon after 69 opened east (ahem, "north") of 231. There had been signs previously south of the new 45/58 junction directing traffic that way to Bloomington, but after the road opened and INDOT took out the signal, the signage got relocated.  It really didn't seem to me like it took very long.

That said, there's still signs that need to be updated. Seems like I heard somewhere that all the blank northbound BGSs are going to get "Bloomington" added to them, possibly this year? Makes as much sense as anything.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 02, 2020, 12:15:43 PM

I did finally find the hydrology report and thought I had posted on it, but I don't see that post, so I probably typed it up, walked away without hitting post. I don't live there and I am not a hydrologist, so I will have to trust the experts in this case.

When the next "100 Year" event occurs, I will drop by here and see how the new layout worked.

CtrlAltDel

It bothers me more than it should that these gray "bricks" are not evenly wide.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

rte66man

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 02, 2020, 07:47:08 PM
It bothers me more than it should that these gray "bricks" are not evenly wide.

I think it would look strange if they were all the same length as it would leave each pier with tiny columns of "brick"
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ilpt4u

I was driving on I-69 between the Lloyd Expressway Exit in Evansville and the Sample Rd Exit north of Bloomington recently

I noticed from the Lloyd, neither Northbound nor Southbound I-69 has Controls. Just BGSs with I-69 North and South with empty green for future Controls. I expect Bloomington and/or Indy for North. Henderson for South? Hopkinsville? Paducah? Fulton? Perhaps Memphis, even? Possibly even Nashville? Anyone have any idea which way INDOT is leaning for the South Control from Evansville? Could even pull a St Louis or Chicago idea, and simply use Kentucky as the South Control
https://goo.gl/maps/msCPMVTRDVSa6wKm7

I asked last year on this thread about how to get to Burma Rd from the south after the I-69 Grade Separations on IN 37...I now know the route, but Google Maps still does not...It thinks one can turn, directly, from the Chambers Pike Overpass onto the Burma Rd Underpass...Tho I see that now Chambers Pike circles back South and East after the Overpass to "T"  at Burma Rd. I believe last year that was not yet open, and it forced you to continue on Dittemore Rd if you went over I-69 and Burma Rd on the Overpass

I'm still waiting on things like Destination/Distance Signage, especially Northbound, and I can't understand how Washington has not gotten Logo Signs installed for the US 50/150/Washington exit. Its really not that far off I-69 to get to the gas stations and fast food joints, especially on Old US 50 into town. The other towns with Exits along the route also need Logo signs, where appropriate. Its such a change when you get to the Former I-164 segment, and there are Destination/Distance signs, after every Exit (but no Long Distance Control/Mileage)

Not necessarily related to I-69, but on my Carbondale-Gosport trip, taking IL 13/US 45/IL 141/IN 62/IN 66/Lloyd Expressway to I-69 is within 5-10 mins of the trip time of taking 57-70 or 57-64-69. A lot less traffic on the non-interstate route, and much more chill of a drive!

tdindy88

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 02, 2020, 10:40:14 PM
I noticed from the Lloyd, neither Northbound nor Southbound I-69 has Controls. Just BGSs with I-69 North and South with empty green for future Controls. I expect Bloomington and/or Indy for North. Henderson for South? Hopkinsville? Paducah? Fulton? Perhaps Memphis, even? Possibly even Nashville? Anyone have any idea which way INDOT is leaning for the South Control from Evansville? Could even pull a St Louis or Chicago idea, and simply use Kentucky as the South Control

In the short term, once the Ohio River bridge is built Henderson would likely be the control city. The completion of both the Ohio River bridge and Section 6 could be a roughly the same time, so they could change the signs around Evansville at the same time when the time comes. I don't see INDOT using Fulton and Hopkinsville and Paducah should be right out since I-69 doesn't reach either town. Long term, Indiana could very well use Memphis as the control city as the state traditionally favors larger control cities.

royo6022

I was driving on I-69 between the Lloyd Expressway Exit in Evansville and the Sample Rd Exit north of Bloomington recently

I asked last year on this thread about how to get to Burma Rd from the south after the I-69 Grade Separations on IN 37...I now know the route, but Google Maps still does not...It thinks one can turn, directly, from the Chambers Pike Overpass onto the Burma Rd Underpass...Tho I see that now Chambers Pike circles back South and East after the Overpass to "T"  at Burma Rd. I believe last year that was not yet open, and it forced you to continue on Dittemore Rd if you went over I-69 and Burma Rd on the Overpass

I'm still waiting on things like Destination/Distance Signage, especially Northbound, and I can't understand how Washington has not gotten Logo Signs installed for the US 50/150/Washington exit. Its really not that far off I-69 to get to the gas stations and fast food joints, especially on Old US 50 into town. The other towns with Exits along the route also need Logo signs, where appropriate. Its such a change when you get to the Former I-164 segment, and there are Destination/Distance signs, after every Exit (but no Long Distance Control/Mileage)

Not necessarily related to I-69, but on my Carbondale-Gosport trip, taking IL 13/US 45/IL 141/IN 62/IN 66/Lloyd Expressway to I-69 is within 5-10 mins of the trip time of taking 57-70 or 57-64-69. A lot less traffic on the non-interstate route, and much more chill of a drive!

I drive to Evansville to work every day and I am from the area, I noticed this awhile ago. I-164 and I-69 were signed and built two very different ways and it doesn't seem like they really cared to do much to merge the two together...

Starting with the mileage signs after every exit. The old I-164 section still has signs using 1/4 mile intervals, which boo-hoo, but can we also talk about how there are mileage signs after every single Evansville exit until you get North of I-64 where you don't see a mileage sign for a very long time. Another thing I noticed on my morning commute was how the Lloyd Expwy doesn't have a place on ANY of the I-69 mileage signs going south bound, and it only appears on ONE sign going northbound (right after Green River Road exit)

2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

ilpt4u

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 02, 2020, 11:19:56 PM

In the short term, once the Ohio River bridge is built Henderson would likely be the control city. The completion of both the Ohio River bridge and Section 6 could be a roughly the same time, so they could change the signs around Evansville at the same time when the time comes. I don't see INDOT using Fulton and Hopkinsville and Paducah should be right out since I-69 doesn't reach either town. Long term, Indiana could very well use Memphis as the control city as the state traditionally favors larger control cities.
An Interstate does not have to reach a City/Metro Area to have said City/Metro Area as a Control

I-57 and Memphis is the obvious one. I-40 and Los Angeles also.

Just has to put you on a Road to get to that Control. Heck, even in Indiana, I-65 never makes it to Chicago (but does make it into the Chicagoland/NW Indiana Metro Area)

About the only "smaller" city Interstate Control I have seen in Indiana is Peoria for I-74 West out of Indy. I would almost say Ft Wayne also, for I-69 North out of Indy/South from the Toll Road

I could see INDOT going with Nashville over Memphis, at least short-medium term until more I-69 Tennessee progress is made. But once the new bridge is done, it will be an All Limited Access route to Nashville South out of Evansville (possibly All Interstate if the southern segment of the Pennyrile were to become I-x69 or I-x24)

sprjus4

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 03, 2020, 01:24:40 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on January 02, 2020, 11:19:56 PM

An Interstate does not have to reach a City/Metro Area to have said City/Metro Area as a Control

I-57 and Memphis is the obvious one. I-40 and Los Angeles also.

Just has to put you on a Road to get to that Control. Heck, even in Indiana, I-65 never makes it to Chicago (but does make it into the Chicagoland/NW Indiana Metro Area)

About the only "smaller" city Interstate Control I have seen in Indiana is Peoria for I-74 West out of Indy. I would almost say Ft Wayne also, for I-69 North out of Indy/South from the Toll Road

I could see INDOT going with Nashville over Memphis, at least short-medium term until more I-69 Tennessee progress is made. But once the new bridge is done, it will be an All Limited Access route to Nashville South out of Evansville (possibly All Interstate if the southern segment of the Pennyrile were to become I-x69 or I-x24)
In North Carolina, I-785 and I-73 in the Greensboro area both sign "Danville"  and "Martinsville"  respectively even though the interstates don't currently leave the Greensboro metro. In the future, they will connect, but currently don't. Did not stop them from using them as control cities now though.

thefro

https://i69finishline.com/news/164-million-contract-to-build-i-69-in-martinsville/

INDOT has confirmed Walsh Construction Company was awarded the bid for Contract #2.

QuoteMARTINSVILLE, Ind. (Jan. 7, 2020) — The Indiana Department of Transportation has awarded Walsh Construction Company II LLC a $164.8 million contract to transform six miles of State Road 37 into Interstate 69. Walsh's proposal was the lowest price among four responsive bids and $7.8 million below estimate.

This is the second major contract award for I-69 Finish Line, representing a state and federal construction investment in Martinsville totaling more than $186 million to date.

S.R. 37 will be completely closed in Martinsville in 2021 to safely advance construction between SR 39/Morton Avenue and Morgan Street. Work will begin this year to prepare alternate routes for additional traffic including the detour route, which will follow S.R. 39, S.R. 67 and S.R. 144.

When this construction contract is substantially completed in late 2021, Martinsville traffic will only be able to enter or exit at four interchanges: S.R. 39, Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road, S.R. 252/Hospital Drive and S.R. 44/Reuben Drive. Roundabouts will control traffic where:

S.R. 39, Rogers Road and an extension of Southview Drive meet the I-69 entrance and exit ramps.
S.R. 252/Hospital Drive meets the I-69 ramps and Cramertown Loop.
A map of I-69 Finish Line construction contracts 1 and 2 is at: https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Contracts-1-and-2.pdf

sprjus4

Quote from: thefro on January 08, 2020, 12:59:02 PM
https://i69finishline.com/news/164-million-contract-to-build-i-69-in-martinsville/

INDOT has confirmed Walsh Construction Company was awarded the bid for Contract #2.

QuoteMARTINSVILLE, Ind. (Jan. 7, 2020) — The Indiana Department of Transportation has awarded Walsh Construction Company II LLC a $164.8 million contract to transform six miles of State Road 37 into Interstate 69. Walsh's proposal was the lowest price among four responsive bids and $7.8 million below estimate.

This is the second major contract award for I-69 Finish Line, representing a state and federal construction investment in Martinsville totaling more than $186 million to date.

S.R. 37 will be completely closed in Martinsville in 2021 to safely advance construction between SR 39/Morton Avenue and Morgan Street. Work will begin this year to prepare alternate routes for additional traffic including the detour route, which will follow S.R. 39, S.R. 67 and S.R. 144.

When this construction contract is substantially completed in late 2021, Martinsville traffic will only be able to enter or exit at four interchanges: S.R. 39, Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road, S.R. 252/Hospital Drive and S.R. 44/Reuben Drive. Roundabouts will control traffic where:

S.R. 39, Rogers Road and an extension of Southview Drive meet the I-69 entrance and exit ramps.
A map of I-69 Finish Line construction contracts 1 and 2 is at: https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Contracts-1-and-2.pdf
Is I-69 planned to be sign-posted upon completion of this segment, or will it not be posted until completed to I-465?

thefro

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 08, 2020, 04:34:59 PM
Quote from: thefro on January 08, 2020, 12:59:02 PM

Is I-69 planned to be sign-posted upon completion of this segment, or will it not be posted until completed to I-465?

https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/I-69_Construction_Timing_Map.pdf

Could sign it to SR44 in theory after 2022 but they might want to keep it un-signed until Contract 4 construction is done (since that goes to the Northern side of Martinsville).

sprjus4

I-69 project: Ind. 37 in Martinsville will close in 2021. Here's the official detour.
QuoteThe timing for construction of the final leg of the massive I-69 extension is becoming clearer with the second major contract awarded earlier this week.

Walsh Construction Co. won the bid to convert six miles of Ind. 37 in Martinsville to I-69, which will result in fully closing the state road in 2021. The closure will affect the Ind. 39 interchange from the south edge of Martinsville up to the Ind. 44 interchange, said Sarah Rubin, a deputy director for INDOT who is overseeing the I-69 Finish Line project.

"The full closure saves us an entire construction season so we can make mainline improvements in one season instead of two," Rubin said.

While there is not yet a firm date to begin construction, Rubin said work will likely start in early 2021 and last for approximately 10 months. The project will likely increase traffic both for the local community and motorists passing through.

INDOT has one official detour thus far:

Heading northbound: Exit I-69 and get on Ind. 39 to Ind. 67, then drive east on Ind. 144 just outside Mooresville to continue traveling north on Ind. 37.

Heading southbound: Exit Ind. 37 and head west on Ind. 144, go south on Ind. 67 to Ind. 39, and continue onto I-69 south.

When construction is completed in late 2021, local traffic will be able to enter or exit at four interchanges:

- Ind. 39.
- Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road.
- Ind. 252/Hospital Drive.
- Ind. 44/Reuben Drive.

Motorists will use roundabouts at Ind. 39, Rogers Road and a Southview Drive extension that meets the I-69 ramps, and where Ind. 252/Hospital Drive meets the I-69 ramps and Cramertown Loop.

"From a travel planning perspective, drivers will need to get into the habit of giving themselves extra time to get somewhere," Rubin said. "Sometimes with major community events that interact with the timing of construction, we'll do our best to coordinate with communities ahead of time and alleviate any pressure and queuing."

Indiana University students traveling to or from Bloomington and anyone heading to sporting events on campus might encounter more traffic than usual.

Chuck Carney, director of media relations for the university, said the school will work with its partners to make the public aware of alternative traffic routes. He said during football season they have weekly meetings with INDOT.

"This and real-time traffic updates are typically done through our IU Police Department channels on social media," Carney said. "Additionally, as is typical for major traffic issues impacting those traveling to our campus, we'll make sure to spread the word through the media about precautions to take and other things to consider."

The I-69 extension connecting Evansville to Indianapolis began 10 years ago. It's now in the sixth and final leg from Martinsville to Indianapolis, which is broken into five segments. The first contract is currently underway to prepare local roads in Martinsville for the major construction in 2021. The extension is expected to be complete in 2024.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.