Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: thefro on January 10, 2020, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 08, 2020, 04:34:59 PM
Quote from: thefro on January 08, 2020, 12:59:02 PM
https://i69finishline.com/news/164-million-contract-to-build-i-69-in-martinsville/

INDOT has confirmed Walsh Construction Company was awarded the bid for Contract #2.

QuoteMARTINSVILLE, Ind. (Jan. 7, 2020) — The Indiana Department of Transportation has awarded Walsh Construction Company II LLC a $164.8 million contract to transform six miles of State Road 37 into Interstate 69. Walsh's proposal was the lowest price among four responsive bids and $7.8 million below estimate.

This is the second major contract award for I-69 Finish Line, representing a state and federal construction investment in Martinsville totaling more than $186 million to date.

S.R. 37 will be completely closed in Martinsville in 2021 to safely advance construction between SR 39/Morton Avenue and Morgan Street. Work will begin this year to prepare alternate routes for additional traffic including the detour route, which will follow S.R. 39, S.R. 67 and S.R. 144.

When this construction contract is substantially completed in late 2021, Martinsville traffic will only be able to enter or exit at four interchanges: S.R. 39, Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road, S.R. 252/Hospital Drive and S.R. 44/Reuben Drive. Roundabouts will control traffic where:

S.R. 39, Rogers Road and an extension of Southview Drive meet the I-69 entrance and exit ramps.
S.R. 252/Hospital Drive meets the I-69 ramps and Cramertown Loop.
A map of I-69 Finish Line construction contracts 1 and 2 is at: https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Contracts-1-and-2.pdf
Is I-69 planned to be sign-posted upon completion of this segment, or will it not be posted until completed to I-465?

https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/I-69_Construction_Timing_Map.pdf

Could sign it to SR44 in theory after 2022 but they might want to keep it un-signed until Contract 4 construction is done (since that goes to the Northern side of Martinsville).

it will be signed as 69 ONLY up to just north of SR 44 once complete, 37 will be not be signed anymore after that in the area, north of it it will be 37 only until they convert that area.  I'm assuming 37 will be decommissioned with signs removed everywhere along 69 after it is connected to 465.

IndyAgent

37 will still be active in the southern part of the state

silverback1065

Quote from: IndyAgent on February 03, 2020, 01:04:04 PM

Correct, but more accurately 3 pieces.  The southern portion you mention, as well as noblesville to marion, then the ft wayne portion.

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 03, 2020, 06:47:20 PM

Correct, but more accurately 3 pieces.  The southern portion you mention, as well as noblesville to marion, then the ft wayne portion.

It seems like INDOT has an aversion to renumbering highways even though the through-route concept behind the original corridor(s) has clearly passed its "sell-by" date!   Fishers-Marion could easily be something else (15 extension?  the long-missing 21?), while the Ft. Wayne section, long isolated, might simply be an eastern section of IN 14.  Otherwise the retention of IN 37 on these stretches is at least silly and at worst delusional!

silverback1065

Quote from: sparker on February 04, 2020, 02:40:36 AM

It seems like INDOT has an aversion to renumbering highways even though the through-route concept behind the original corridor(s) has clearly passed its "sell-by" date!   Fishers-Marion could easily be something else (15 extension?  the long-missing 21?), while the Ft. Wayne section, long isolated, might simply be an eastern section of IN 14.  Otherwise the retention of IN 37 on these stretches is at least silly and at worst delusional!

I've always thought they should extend US 131 down to indy from michigan.

Finrod

Indiana seems to have a long history of splitting up previously contiguous state highways into disjoint pieces that stick around forever.  Just look at SR 43 for an example.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Finrod on February 04, 2020, 10:32:48 AM

Indiana seems to have a long history of splitting up previously contiguous state highways into disjoint pieces that stick around forever.  Just look at SR 43 for an example.

They also have a number of highways with the same number that had never been connected together.  IN 48 is one of those, with three distinct sections:

A 30 mile western section between IN 63 south of Fairbanks and IN 157 north of Worthington. 
A 6 mile center section between IN 43 in Whitehall and I-69 in Bloomington.  I've heard rumors of this section being decommissioned.
A 26 mile eastern section between IN 229 east of Napoleon and US 50 in Lawrenceburg.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

NWI_Irish96

Renumbering highways sounds like a no-brainer to roadgeeks, but it's an unnecessary expense to the state and can be confusing to the general public.  Most people don't travel enough of the state to even know about a lot of the disjointed sections. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

IndyAgent

I wonder if they are going to rename the 39 connector from 37 to 67 once they widen it

silverback1065

Quote from: IndyAgent on February 10, 2020, 01:35:35 PM
I wonder if they are going to rename the 39 connector from 37 to 67 once they widen it

no it's still going to be SR 39 to my knowledge.

X99

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 10, 2020, 02:08:25 PM
Quote from: IndyAgent on February 10, 2020, 01:35:35 PM

no it's still going to be SR 39 to my knowledge.
You can see his reasoning though. SR 39 could be truncated to the north end of its concurrency with SR 67, and 37 could take over the connector and run concurrent with I-69 to Bloomington. The signage on 69 is already there and wouldn't need to be changed.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

IndyAgent

State Road 139 has a nice ring to it!

ITB

A little late in posting this, but better late than never. Late last month, INDOT let another contract for Section 6. Contract #33541 is for new local access, or frontage, roads between Martinsville and the Morgan/Johnson county line, as well as several new overpasses and bridges. Now official, the contract was awarded to Crider and Crider, a firm headquartered in Bloomington. Previously, Crider was the prime contractor of three segments of Indiana's I-69 Corridor Project, including the I-69/SR 37 interchange. In addition, they were one of the principal subs of Section 5. This contract does not involve work upgrading SR 37 to I-69. That will be included in another contract to be awarded in November of 2020.

Courtesy INDOT

Here's what Contract #33541 encompasses:

Courtesy INDOT

Crider and Crider will commence work this spring. Walsh Construction, too, will be kicking off bridge and mainline work in Martinsville soon, if they haven't already. In about a year, SR 37 will be closed completely between SR 39 and the SR 37/Morgan Street intersection just north of Martinsville.

Link: INDOT 2020 Lettings https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/index.html

X99

Two questions for ITB:
1. What does PR stand for in PR-69? Primary Route?
2. Is the Grand South Valley Street Boulevard bridge complete yet, and which road name will be carried across it?

ITB

Quote from: X99 on February 19, 2020, 05:32:07 PM
Two questions for ITB:
1. What does PR stand for in PR-69? Primary Route?
2. Is the Grand South Valley Street Boulevard bridge complete yet, and which road name will be carried across it?

PR stands for "Proposed." Not absolutely certain about that, so if anyone knows differently, please chime in.

The Grand Valley Boulevard overpass is still under construction. Seven weeks ago when I went for a look-see, the bridge deck had not yet been poured. Pouring the deck during wintertime can be risky, as the concrete needs to cure properly. If it doesn't, it's a major screw up, costing hundreds of thousands to redo. If I had to guess, I'd say Milestone, the contractor, found a few temperate days either in late January or February to do the pour. Then again, maybe not. Deck pour or not, the overpass is nearing completion. Hard to say when it might open to traffic, but June-ish, give or take a few weeks seems about right. Could be earlier if the deck pour is now complete.

I believe the overpass will be signed Grand Valley Boulevard, but others may have more precise information. Again, if so, please chime in.

ITB

Because the weather was good, I motored up to Martinsville to see if work had commenced on the mainline Martinsville segment. Nope. Not yet. Probably get underway next month. I checked out the new Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. It's nearing completion, although the deck pour has yet to take place.

A few pictures. Photos were taken Saturday, February 22, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

The overpass that will carry Grand Valley Blvd. over SR 37 (future Interstate 69) in Martinsville, Morgan County, Indiana; looking northwest.

Another perspective of the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass; looking east. With rebar in place, everything appears ready for the big deck pour; just waiting for temperatures to tick up a few more degrees.

Looking north toward SR 37 (future Interstate 69) from the overpass that will carry Grand Valley Blvd. over I-69.

The approach to the overpass from South Street in Martinsville; looking east.

Different perspective of the bridge deck rebar; looking east.

Another view of the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass; looking east.

Different perspective view of the overpass and work zone; looking southeast. Note the rigging on the bridge in preparation for the deck pour.

And one last one. Road Closed! Looking east toward the overpass from near South Street in Martinsville.

Construction activity on the mainline Martinsville segment will be starting soon.

silverback1065

sprjus4

^

Has it been determined whether it would be built as a freeway or expressway yet?

The study posted on the article mentions both alternatives. They have the same cross-sections and design speeds, the only difference is access (interchange vs. at-grade) controls.

If it's anything like the segment from I-64 to Owensboro already completed, it will be expressway.

The expressway appears to work fine, though my only gripe with it is speed limits. The design speed for the roadway is 70 mph, and the realistic speed limit for the road should be at minimum 65 mph, preferably 70 mph. However, due to state law, it is restricted at a maximum of 60 mph. Especially if a long-distance corridor is built to these high quality expressway standards (limited-access but with intersections), the speed limit law should be modified to at least allow 65 mph. This applies to non-limited-access highways as well such as US-24, US-30, and US-31.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 24, 2020, 07:03:56 PM
^

Has it been determined whether it would be built as a freeway or expressway yet?

The study posted on the article mentions both alternatives. They have the same cross-sections and design speeds, the only difference is access (interchange vs. at-grade) controls.

If it's anything like the segment from I-64 to Owensboro already completed, it will be expressway.

The expressway appears to work fine, though my only gripe with it is speed limits. The design speed for the roadway is 70 mph, and the realistic speed limit for the road should be at minimum 65 mph, preferably 70 mph. However, due to state law, it is restricted at a maximum of 60 mph. Especially if a long-distance corridor is built to these high quality expressway standards (limited-access but with intersections), the speed limit law should be modified to at least allow 65 mph. This applies to non-limited-access highways as well such as US-24, US-30, and US-31.

Last I checked, they're still looking at a Super 2, as well, and in most places along the route, that would probably work just fine, particularly if there was consideration given to using alternating passing lanes.

sprjus4

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on February 24, 2020, 07:06:55 PM
particularly if there was consideration given to using alternating passing lanes.
According to the study, a Super-2 would be built as a 3-lane roadway with the center lane alternating every few miles. The design speed would be 70 mph, though due to state law, wouldn't ever be posted above 55 mph despite being able to safely handle it.

andy

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 24, 2020, 05:15:52 PM
https://www.courierpress.com/story/opinion/columnists/jon-webb/2020/02/24/road-project-could-massively-change-southern-indiana/4831438002/

US 231 may be a 4 lane divided highway to i-69 one day.

This is discussed in  another thread for Mid-states corridor.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25352.0
The US 231 option is still being  considered  for super 2, expressway or interstate. Preferred route expected  to be announced  late 2020.

Other options  still open are roads  to Washington,  Loogootee/Bedford,  or French Lick/ Mitchell

X99

Note to whoever labeled the Grand Valley overpass on Google Maps: it's not open yet, and you forgot to remove the SR 37 intersection.

Ryctor2018

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

X99

who puts action movie music over a bridge deck pour video

sparker

Quote from: X99 on March 26, 2020, 12:12:36 PM
who puts action movie music over a bridge deck pour video

.......sounds more like "industrial rock" than any film score.  Had a co-worker several years ago who seemed to listen to the stuff 24/7 -- got more than a bit annoying rather quickly.   Luckily he "ceased & desisted" on his own before the matter went upstairs!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.