News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

jeffandnicole

abefroman329

DaBigE

Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2018, 07:40:31 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 29, 2018, 01:22:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2018, 01:19:38 PM
I may have said something about this earlier in the thread but Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, Michigan once it's Sears closes will have no more anchor stores left. It's not in a bad location really either right next to I-94 at the M-66 exit.

I'd say tear it down and turn it into a power center or lifestyle center. Maybe even an outlet mall or something just to fill the void left by the tear down.
If it was in Florida or Texas I would agree with that but in Michigan? It can get pretty cold there during the winter months and that is when the busiest shopping season take place. Nobody is going to go to an outdoor lifestyle center when it's 10 degrees outside. I only go to indoor malls during the Christmas season not a good idea to build outdoor malls in cold weather climates.

Hilldale in Madison apparently didn't get the memo. Google hasn't captured the final stages of conversion from indoor to outdoor yet.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

inkyatari

I may have said something about this earlier in the thread but Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, Michigan once it's Sears closes will have no more anchor stores left. It's not in a bad location really either right next to I-94 at the M-66 exit.

I'd say tear it down and turn it into a power center or lifestyle center. Maybe even an outlet mall or something just to fill the void left by the tear down.
If it was in Florida or Texas I would agree with that but in Michigan? It can get pretty cold there during the winter months and that is when the busiest shopping season take place. Nobody is going to go to an outdoor lifestyle center when it's 10 degrees outside. I only go to indoor malls during the Christmas season not a good idea to build outdoor malls in cold weather climates.

When Montgomery Ward went out of business, the former location at Yorktown Mall in Lombard, IL was turned into a lifestyle center. When the  Orland Park Place Mall (across the street from the more successful Orland Square mall in Orland Park, IL) went under the whole thing was converted to a lifestyle center. Hell, the newish from scratch Promenade in Bolingbrook IL was specifically built as a lifestyle center.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on January 02, 2019, 08:46:29 AM

When Montgomery Ward went out of business, the former location at Yorktown Mall in Lombard, IL was turned into a lifestyle center. When the  Orland Park Place Mall (across the street from the more successful Orland Square mall in Orland Park, IL) went under the whole thing was converted to a lifestyle center. Hell, the newish from scratch Promenade in Bolingbrook IL was specifically built as a lifestyle center.
Old Orchard has done just fine as an outdoor mall for the past 50-60 years.  The outdoor outlet malls in Aurora and Michigan City, IN and Pleasant Prairie, WI have done just fine (don't know what happened with the one in Huntley, though).

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 02, 2019, 08:57:43 AM

Old Orchard has done just fine as an outdoor mall for the past 50-60 years.  The outdoor outlet malls in Aurora and Michigan City, IN and Pleasant Prairie, WI have done just fine (don't know what happened with the one in Huntley, though).

The one in Huntley is dead and demolished.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 02, 2019, 09:30:59 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 02, 2019, 08:57:43 AM

The one in Huntley is dead and demolished.
But it seems like it opened and closed in fairly short order, and I don't know why.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 02, 2019, 10:39:46 AM
But it seems like it opened and closed in fairly short order, and I don't know why.

It opened in 1994-95 or so.

Apparently, it was beat out by the other outlet centers in the area, Aurora and Gurnee Mills.  The one in Rosemont was the proverbial last nail in the coffin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 02, 2019, 12:26:11 PMIt opened in 1994-95 or so.
Oh, well, I was wrong about that, then; it lasted about 20 years.

mgk920

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 02, 2019, 01:26:04 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 02, 2019, 12:26:11 PMIt opened in 1994-95 or so.
Oh, well, I was wrong about that, then; it lasted about 20 years.

Tempus Fugit.

:wow:

Anyways, I wonder (seriously) if we should also start including JCPenney in this conversation - their share price went below $1 for the first time in the company's history last week Wednesday (2018-12-26).

Mike

ErmineNotyours

How long until Penny's stock is worth pennies?

Max Rockatansky

Sears dead yet?  I haven't seen any new stories this week.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 12:13:33 AM

It won't be until the Fast Eddie scheme falls apart, which still has a semi-decent chance of happening.

Flint1979

I was just in the Sears in Rivertown Crossing in Grandville, Michigan (suburb of Grand Rapids). I walked in on the upper level and walked out on the lower level. There were a decent amount of people in the store but I walked through some parts of the store that were very dead too. I noticed more people on the lower level than the upper level. I also went into Woodland Mall on the other side of Grand Rapids which lost it's Sears (becoming a Von Maur in the fall of this year). Rivertown Crossing seemed to be busier than Woodland but it's also bigger than Woodland so it was kind of hard to tell. I went through Macy's to get into Rivertown and went through JCPenney to get into Woodland, both those stores seemed to be doing fine.

rawmustard

The deadline for the advisors to accept ESL as a "qualified bidder" is tomorrow, while Lampert is also offering a smaller bid involving 250 stores should the first be declared not viable. Regardless, all bidders will be involved in an auction on Jan 14.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rawmustard on January 03, 2019, 01:38:08 PM

The deadline for the advisors to accept ESL as a "qualified bidder" is tomorrow, while Lampert is also offering a smaller bid involving 250 stores should the first be declared not viable. Regardless, all bidders will be involved in an auction on Jan 14.

Interesting, at this point hopefully one of the other bidders puts in a better offer and just lets Sears die.  It would be a shame to see Lampert and ESL make money from what surely will be a parting out of assets. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 12:13:33 AMSears dead yet?  I haven't seen any new stories this week.
Does anyone here think that the current Sears situation remind them of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdf5EXo6I68
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2019, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 12:13:33 AMSears dead yet?  I haven't seen any new stories this week.

Does anyone remember the PC Game version of the movie?  There was a Tetris style "bring out your dead!"  puzzler that was one of the best in-game secrets I've ever had the opportunity to stumble across.  Maybe old Eddie will bring the Holy Hand Gernade to the bankruptcy auction...

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 04:17:42 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2019, 04:09:55 PM

Does anyone remember the PC Game version of the movie?  There was a Tetris style "bring out your dead!"  puzzler that was one of the best in-game secrets I've ever had the opportunity to stumble across.  Maybe old Eddie will bring the Holy Hand Gernade to the bankruptcy auction...

Yep.  I remember this.  I owned it and have been looking for a new copy ever since.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kevinb1994

So it looks like that Sears is going to be liquidated as there is disapproval of Fast Eddie's plan. Can't say I'm surprised. RIP Sears.

mgk920

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 04, 2019, 06:59:06 PM
So it looks like that Sears is going to be liquidated as there is disapproval of Fast Eddie's plan. Can't say I'm surprised. RIP Sears.

There were sign 'shaker' guys stationed on the streets around their Fox River Mall (Appleton, WI area) store when I was driving around there earlier today.

Mike

US71

Quote from: mgk920 on January 04, 2019, 09:57:31 PM

There were sign 'shaker' guys stationed on the streets around their Fox River Mall (Appleton, WI area) store when I was driving around there earlier today.

Mike

I wonder if Fast Eddie will pay them?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

LM117

I'll believe it when it's offical. Knowing Eddie, he'll find a way to string this along a little bit more. He could squeeze a buffalo until it farts a nickel.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wanderer2575

Quote from: LM117 on January 06, 2019, 11:10:50 AM

... He could squeeze a buffalo until it farts a nickel.

I'll absolutely have to add that to my collection of euphemisms.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 06, 2019, 11:37:44 AM
Quote from: LM117 on January 06, 2019, 11:10:50 AM

... He could squeeze a buffalo until it farts a nickel.

I'll absolutely have to add that to my collection of euphemisms.

It almost sounds like something the Angry Video Game Nerd would say. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.