News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

corrections to existing routes in Florida

Started by NE2, December 15, 2015, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

US 1:
*now overlaps I-95 and SR 970 south of downtown Miami
*north of downtown West Palm, southbound uses 24th Street - I think this means the line should be midway between 24th and 25th
*clearly signed south of downtown Jacksonville to use Philips-Kings-Prudential-Main

US 41:
*has not been signed into Miami Beach for years; now ends at US 1 (SE 4th) but I don't think it's signed on Brickell

US 90:
*clearly signed south of downtown Jacksonville to use Main-Prudential-Kings-Atlantic

I-395:
*waypoint name should be SRA1A, not US41, if it's even worthwhile to have a separate point east of US 1

FLTpk (Florida's Turnpike (Miami Garden):
*name should be FLTpk (Florida's Turnpike (Miami Gardens)) - note the missing parenthesis - or FLTpk (Florida's Turnpike (Golden Glades)) for the interchange it spurs to

US17 Trk (Orlando, FL) and US92 Trk (Orlando, FL):
*name should be US17 Trk (Maitland, FL)

US41 Bus (Fort Myers, FL):
*MonSt waypoint is southbound only (northbound signs point along SR 82)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theFXexpert

In addition:

I-4 should have a waypoint for the Lee Roy Selmon Connector (Exit 2).

FLTpk should have a waypoint for the FL417 interchange (Exit 251).

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2015, 12:33:21 PM
US 1:
*north of downtown West Palm, southbound uses 24th Street - I think this means the line should be midway between 24th and 25th
*clearly signed south of downtown Jacksonville to use Philips-Kings-Prudential-Main
*I was waiting for signage changes in Miami before changing that.  Has new signage been put up?
*I'll look into that one to see if it needs to be tweaked.
*I had extensive talks with the FDOT region about this.  It is incorrectly posted along that route and will be fixed as part of the rebuild of I-95 in that area.  However, I will put both US-1 & US-90 on the 'posted' route for now till the project is finished and hopefully FDOT will have the signage corrected like they said they would to me.

US 41:
*has not been signed into Miami Beach for years; now ends at US 1 (SE 4th) but I don't think it's signed on Brickell
AASHTO recognizes it, FDOT does too.  We have a similar case with the Western end of US-74 in TN.  Both TDOT and the AASHTO agree that US-74 ends @ I-24, even though it isn't posted on I-75.  We do the same in this project.  Thus, I see us keeping US-41 going out to Miami Beach at this time.

US 90:
*clearly signed south of downtown Jacksonville to use Main-Prudential-Kings-Atlantic
*I had extensive talks with the FDOT region about this.  It is incorrectly posted along that route and will be fixed as part of the rebuild of I-95 in that area.  However, I will put both US-1 & US-90 on the 'posted' route for now till the project is finished and hopefully FDOT will have the signage corrected like they said they would to me.

I-395:
*waypoint name should be SRA1A, not US41, if it's even worthwhile to have a separate point east of US 1
Well, FLA1A. lol.  I'll look at this and see if I should 'merge' some points together.

*name should be FLTpk (Florida's Turnpike (Miami Gardens)) - note the missing parenthesis - or FLTpk (Florida's Turnpike (Golden Glades)) for the interchange it spurs to
I just double checked the data, and the entry does have the 's' at the end of the name.  All I can think that is causing the problem is that Jim has a character count limit, and that's causing the problem here. https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/blob/master/hwy_data/_systems/usasf.csv#L21

US17 Trk (Orlando, FL) and US92 Trk (Orlando, FL):
*name should be US17 Trk (Maitland, FL)
I guess we could change the name on this.  Just need to do some work behind the scenes to do it.

Yeah, this was one of the more annoying routes to figure out what FDOT was thinking.  So, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this part of the route up.

Quote from: theFXexpert on December 15, 2015, 02:10:26 PM
In addition:

I-4 should have a waypoint for the Lee Roy Selmon Connector (Exit 2).

FLTpk should have a waypoint for the FL417 interchange (Exit 251).

These should be quick and easy fixes.  I'll get them done tonight.  EDIT: Now submitted.

NE2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 15, 2015, 08:24:43 PM
US 1:
*I was waiting for signage changes in Miami before changing that.  Has new signage been put up?
The Goog shows that signage for the old route now has changed from US 1 to only Brickell Avenue. I couldn't find any new signs for the new route.
[/quote]

US 41:
AASHTO recognizes it, FDOT does too.  We have a similar case with the Western end of US-74 in TN.  Both TDOT and the AASHTO agree that US-74 ends @ I-24, even though it isn't posted on I-75.  We do the same in this project.  Thus, I see us keeping US-41 going out to Miami Beach at this time.
So (for example) the SR 10 file is wrong in only including the signed piece?

Yeah, this was one of the more annoying routes to figure out what FDOT was thinking.  So, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this part of the route up.
When Fort Myers took over SR 80 through downtown, SR 82 became the de facto route for US 41 Bus. There's no direct left turn allowed from SR 82 west onto US 41, hence the southbound jog.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2015, 08:32:37 PM
US 1:
The Goog shows that signage for the old route now has changed from US 1 to only Brickell Avenue. I couldn't find any new signs for the new route.
I'll take a look, but from what you've said, I think that's good enough to move it to I-95.

US 41:
Nope.  This only applies to Interstates and US Highways.  We had a big discussion back in the day about this and we came to the conclusion to that whatever the AASHTO says, we'll go with it, especially if the state still shows shields for the highway(s) on their official maps, even if none are posted in the field.

When Fort Myers took over SR 80 through downtown, SR 82 became the de facto route for US 41 Bus. There's no direct left turn allowed from SR 82 west onto US 41, hence the southbound jog.

I'll try to tweak this some in the next day or two.

NE2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 15, 2015, 09:07:31 PM
US 41:
Nope.  This only applies to Interstates and US Highways.  We had a big discussion back in the day about this and we came to the conclusion to that whatever the AASHTO says, we'll go with it, especially if the state still shows shields for the highway(s) on their official maps, even if none are posted in the field.
(a) The official map has been corrected to show the orange color for US 41 ending at US 1 downtown.
(b) If we're going by AASHTO, why does the US 98 file extend east of US 1?

Jim

I just double checked the data, and the entry does have the 's' at the end of the name.  All I can think that is causing the problem is that Jim has a character count limit, and that's causing the problem here. https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/blob/master/hwy_data/_systems/usasf.csv#L21

Fixed.  The field had a width of 32, this one needed 34, expanded to 48 so we have plenty of room now
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2015, 09:17:15 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 15, 2015, 09:07:31 PM
US 41:
(a) The official map has been corrected to show the orange color for US 41 ending at US 1 downtown.
(b) If we're going by AASHTO, why does the US 98 file extend east of US 1?

Well, to be honest, even that map has some errors in it when it comes to the 'orange' lines.
1) No orange for the US-1 Business in St. Augustine, even though they do show one shield for it on the map.
2) I'm not aware of any extension of US-92 in St. Petersburg past I-175 (FL-595) all the way to I-275 @ Exit #16.
3) We also use 'usends' when applicable to situations like US-98.  (Weirdly enough, the map link above shows the orange for US-98 going to A1A.)
4) And to muddy the waters some more about US-41, the old 'END' shields on 8th Street (Seen here) are now gone as of January '14 per StreetView.
5) Also when FDOT submitted the change to US-1, they submitted an extra change for US-41 for the 'description', and that even proves that it still goes to Miami Beach.

So, with the US-98 example, we sometimes play it by signage if there is enough proof.

mapcat

US41's waypoint at 137thAve should be renamed FL825 since the route is signed along that segment.

Also, I didn't see a topic for the in-development Florida routes, but the west endpoint for FL72 at FL758 is mislabelled FL785.

Jim

Thanks to a _con.csv file contributed by si404, the existing usafl routes are now loaded into the TM database and can be viewed in the TM highway browser.  As a "devel" system, meaning it is not yet a complete first draft, it is not yet available for traveler maps.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mapcat on January 01, 2016, 09:53:50 AM
Also, I didn't see a topic for the in-development Florida routes, but the west endpoint for FL72 at FL758 is mislabelled FL785.

There will be a thread for it on our new forums when they are opened to the public. ;)

1995hoo

FL-739 is signed at least as far south as Alico Road (the shield is on the BGS there) and maybe down to US-41, though I have no personal confirmation of the latter unless I ask our relatives who live along there.

Edited to add:

I don't know what the criteria are for adding waypoints, but I wonder whether FL-789 could have a waypoint at Ken Thompson Parkway. Reason: That's the turnoff for the Mote Marine Laboratory, which is also an aquarium and is a popular tourist destination in Sarasota such that it's likely that people would use the road up to that point but not farther.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

FLRoads

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2016, 06:18:25 PM
FL-739 is signed at least as far south as Alico Road (the shield is on the BGS there) and maybe down to US-41, though I have no personal confirmation of the latter unless I ask our relatives who live along there.

I can affirm that SR 739 is signed between Alico Road and U.S. 41 as I have driven it. You can also verify signage on the SR 739 guide on the main site.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.