ICC Intercounty Connector

Started by Alex, August 27, 2009, 12:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Hey, cp, got a question for you since you live in Maryland, and this thread is a fine place since the question is ICC-related.

Driving northwest from the DC area during a weekday morning rush hour. The Virginia portion of the Inner Loop is always horribly snarled at that time of day. What do you think of the notion of going the other way around the Beltway through Maryland, then up I-95 and across the ICC to I-270? Likely to be faster, or just out of the way?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2012, 04:32:51 PM
Hey, cp, got a question for you since you live in Maryland, and this thread is a fine place since the question is ICC-related.

Driving northwest from the DC area during a weekday morning rush hour. The Virginia portion of the Inner Loop is always horribly snarled at that time of day. What do you think of the notion of going the other way around the Beltway through Maryland, then up I-95 and across the ICC to I-270? Likely to be faster, or just out of the way?

How would you get to the Beltway from D.C.?  By way of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway?  Or U.S. 50?  Or by way of D.C. surface streets?  Or just starting on the Beltway in Fairfax County near Springfield and heading across the Wilson Bridge through Oxon Hill?

Regarding the Inner Loop of the Capital Beltway, you mean the segment from Springfield to Tysons Corner?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2012, 04:41:14 PM

How would you get to the Beltway from D.C.?  By way of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway?  Or U.S. 50?  Or by way of D.C. surface streets?  Or just starting on the Beltway in Fairfax County near Springfield and heading across the Wilson Bridge through Oxon Hill?

Regarding the Inner Loop of the Capital Beltway, you mean the segment from Springfield to Tysons Corner?

Over the Wilson Bridge. We live off Van Dorn Street and so would either get on the Beltway there or else head to either Telegraph Road or I-95 if Van Dorn is backed up (which is often is). The Inner Loop segment you cite is exactly the one in question–it grinds to a halt near the Robinson Terminal every morning and it's pretty much stop-and-roll all the way to at least I-66. So rather than put up with that, the notion crossed my mind of going around the other way through Maryland and then across the ICC. But since I seldom go that way during rush hour (most recent time I did it was back in May 2011 going to the federal courthouse in Greenbelt), I don't have a sense for the traffic in Maryland other than that the ICC is reportedly always wide-open.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2012, 04:47:31 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2012, 04:41:14 PM

Over the Wilson Bridge. We live off Van Dorn Street and so would either get on the Beltway there or else head to either Telegraph Road or I-95 if Van Dorn is backed up (which is often is). The Inner Loop segment you cite is exactly the one in question–it grinds to a halt near the Robinson Terminal every morning and it's pretty much stop-and-roll all the way to at least I-66. So rather than put up with that, the notion crossed my mind of going around the other way through Maryland and then across the ICC. But since I seldom go that way during rush hour (most recent time I did it was back in May 2011 going to the federal courthouse in Greenbelt), I don't have a sense for the traffic in Maryland other than that the ICC is reportedly always wide-open.

If you need to go to Greenbelt, that is absolutely the best way to go.  But to avoid the misery of the Inner Loop between Springfield and I-66 or Va. 267 (Dulles Toll Road), the distance, and the toll on the ICC ($4.20 one-way) probably make that a loser.  The Outer Loop of the Beltway (if there are no incidents) usually runs pretty well from Springfield all the way to College Park, but nearly always backs-up somewhere around Greenbelt or College Park because of the severe recurring congestion (on the Outer Loop) that happens nearly every weekday morning between I-95 and I-270.  You could, of course, bail out to northbound I-95 in College Park and head for Md. 200 (ICC), but consider that the west end of the ICC delivers you to I-370, which then gets you to I-270.  I-270 southbound is frequently severely congested from I-370 south to the "split" where I-270 goes to the east (signed south) and I-270Y (commonly known as "I-270 Spur") heads south to join the Outer Loop of the Beltway (that short segment  is also frequently severely congested, as is the Outer Loop between I-270Y and the Va. 267 interchange - contrary to what some Maryland elected officials want us to believe, there are a lot of Maryland residents that work at Tysons Corner and along the Va. 267 corridor).

My suggestion is to try out the new toll lanes on I-495 between Springfield and Va. 267 when they open this winter.  They are supposed to operate at speeds of 45 MPH or better (light speed compared to the misery of the nearby Inner Loop lanes).

Note also that it is possible that the new toll lanes may (in the short term at least) remove enough traffic from the Inner Loop to make it run better, though I don't think that will be the case in the longer term.

Getting back to Md. 200 (ICC), it is my understanding that it has not once had recurring congestion since the major section was completed and opened to traffic in November 2011.  There have been a few wrecks and other incidents, but the tolls (higher in peak demand periods) have worked as advertised. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Well, the the trip that prompts me to raise the issue is later this week (ultimate destination is Dayton, Ohio). That's why I was considering the ICC option–I know there's roadwork on the Beltway between I-95 and I-270 and I figured going north might avoid that.

Alps

On a related question, at what time should one avoid the Beltway Outer from I-95 to I-270? I would be down there around 7 AM on the Friday before the Richmond meet, and Google Maps is indecisive as to how bad traffic might be. Around NYC area, jams are just starting around then, but DC seems like it has an earlier start to the trouble?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2012, 05:27:29 PM
Well, the the trip that prompts me to raise the issue is later this week (ultimate destination is Dayton, Ohio). That's why I was considering the ICC option–I know there's roadwork on the Beltway between I-95 and I-270 and I figured going north might avoid that.

That might just be a winner, wanting to go north. 

Or - you could just take I-95 north in the direction of Baltimore, then head west on Md. 32 to I-70.  Md. 32 is a freeway as far west as Md. 108, then it is a busy two-lane arterial (with only a few intersections at-grade) to I-70. 

All of this is another reason why an Outer Beltway is still needed.  Yes, that's what I said.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on October 01, 2012, 08:03:43 PM
On a related question, at what time should one avoid the Beltway Outer from I-95 to I-270? I would be down there around 7 AM on the Friday before the Richmond meet, and Google Maps is indecisive as to how bad traffic might be. Around NYC area, jams are just starting around then, but DC seems like it has an earlier start to the trouble?

Starts getting bad as early as 6 A.M around most of the D.C. area, and especially the Outer Loop between I-95 and I-270.  Plenty of "peak-spreading" going on (though Fridays tend to be a little less bad than Tuesday through Thursday).  If you want to be someplace along I-270 and are willing to part with money ($4.00 for the entire way), then take Md. 200 from I-95 to avoid the misery of the Outer Loop.

If I was you, and headed for Richmond from greater NYC, I would avoid it all and just take U.S. 301 south from the intersection of U.S. 40 and Del. 896 (last I-95 exit in Delaware, and avoids the Delaware Turnpike toll).  Come across the Bay Bridge (that's the free direction) and then follow U.S. 50 west to the Capital Beltway.  Then take the Inner Loop (I-95/I-495 South) across the WWB to I-95 south in Springfield. 

1995hoo

Steve, this doesn't help with when the backups start, but I highly recommend the traffic reports on WTOP 103.5-FM; they air "on the 8s" (x:08, x:18, etc.). Another new station is WNEW 99.1-FM, which airs theirs "on the 1s." Both are reliable. I have an XM subscription but I feel no confidence in their reports for several reasons. I seldom go anywhere without listening to the traffic reports, even on weekends.

CP, thanks again. Guess I will see how the traffic report is when we leave and then decide. Ms1995hoo has never been on the ICC, so I might do that just to do something new.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2012, 07:54:11 AM
Steve, this doesn't help with when the backups start, but I highly recommend the traffic reports on WTOP 103.5-FM; they air "on the 8s" (x:08, x:18, etc.). Another new station is WNEW 99.1-FM, which airs theirs "on the 1s." Both are reliable. I have an XM subscription but I feel no confidence in their reports for several reasons. I seldom go anywhere without listening to the traffic reports, even on weekends.

The traffic reports on SiriusXM are "canned" and provide no context from people that know the highway network.   

CP, thanks again. Guess I will see how the traffic report is when we leave and then decide. Ms1995hoo has never been on the ICC, so I might do that just to do something new.

I do think the ICC is worth a trip (even for non-roadgeeks) if it fits with your plans. 

Debunks assertions from the "anti-auto vanguard" about new limited-access highways (including this one) with statements like "cannot be built" and demonstrates that they should not be taken seriously.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2012, 08:03:42 AM

The traffic reports on SiriusXM are "canned" and provide no context from people that know the highway network.   

I suppose this is slightly off-topic, but given that this thread is probably of limited interest to many forum members it probably doesn't matter. The thing about the XM reports is not just that they're recorded every half an hour and run on a loop, although that's part of the problem. The bigger issue to me is that the reporters themselves don't inspire any confidence because they haven't learned how to read off a computer screen. That is, with a number of them it's painfully obvious that they are simply reading what's on the screen in front of them. Some of them do it word-for-word. It can be awkward when they leave out articles that should be there: "Overturned truck on I-66 at Fairfax County Parkway" (should be a "the" before "Fairfax") or "I-95 is congested at Occoquan River Bridge." But what's worse is when they insert articles that shouldn't be there. The computer screen correctly refers to "Triangle," which is a town in Prince William County, but for some reason the reporters feel the need to say "the Triangle," as in "I-95 is slow from Occoquan River Bridge to the Triangle." WRONG!!!!! "The Triangle" is a term for the Raleigh—Durham—Chapel Hill region.

Part of this is, as you say, that they're not familiar with the road network in many cities, but I'm not certain that works as to DC because, at least prior to the Sirius merger, XM was headquartered in Northeast DC (over near the FedEx depot on Eckington Place) and so you'd think the reporters would know something about the roads. Maybe they're all 20-something kids who have joined this silly fad of attempting to rely on Metrorail to go carless!

What it really boils down to is that the FM reports are live reports and the traffic reporters there are able to get new information and react quickly to it. The XM reporters can't do that.

BUT I will say that if I travel to another city I appreciate having the XM reports available for two reasons: (1) Don't need to drive around twirling the dial looking for a local news station; (2) The XM reporters are more likely to use the route numbers for Interstate Highways and US Highways as opposed to using road names that nobody other than locals would know. I remember when XM rolled out this service back in 2004 some people in some cities complained about that–"we use the names, so they shouldn't use the numbers." But the XM report is not intended solely for local commuters and so making it as useful as possible to as many people makes sense. Besides, I think you have to be pretty damn ignorant if every single day you pass a sign saying, for example, "I-278 Staten Island Expressway" and you can't remember what I-278 is (I cite this example because I once referred to "278" and my cousin, WHO LIVED ON STATEN ISLAND, had no idea what I meant–at the time I didn't know that New Yorkers have that peculiar predilection for names).

hbelkins

Have you decided on your return route?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2012, 09:46:29 AM

Have you decided on your return route?

Not yet, will decide this weekend depending on the weather. I have that thread bookmarked on my phone for easy reference. I'm leaning towards at least taking US-33 from Columbus and then US-50 across through Parkersburg to Clarksburg. The distance and time additions are minimal. From Clarksburg, we'll see. Ms1995hoo doesn't have off from work on Columbus Day, so I have to take that into account. (But she did have off for the two Jewish holy days last month, and we're not Jewish, so I guess that's a fair tradeoff.)

I'll report back in that other thread once the trip is done.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2012, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2012, 08:03:42 AM

I suppose this is slightly off-topic, but given that this thread is probably of limited interest to many forum members it probably doesn't matter. The thing about the XM reports is not just that they're recorded every half an hour and run on a loop, although that's part of the problem. The bigger issue to me is that the reporters themselves don't inspire any confidence because they haven't learned how to read off a computer screen. That is, with a number of them it's painfully obvious that they are simply reading what's on the screen in front of them. Some of them do it word-for-word. It can be awkward when they leave out articles that should be there: "Overturned truck on I-66 at Fairfax County Parkway" (should be a "the" before "Fairfax") or "I-95 is congested at Occoquan River Bridge." But what's worse is when they insert articles that shouldn't be there. The computer screen correctly refers to "Triangle," which is a town in Prince William County, but for some reason the reporters feel the need to say "the Triangle," as in "I-95 is slow from Occoquan River Bridge to the Triangle." WRONG!!!!! "The Triangle" is a term for the Raleigh—Durham—Chapel Hill region.

Not only that, but they use incorrect names for crossing roads (that don't make sense to most people). 

Classic example (in addition to yours above about Triangle, which is an unincorporated place in Prince William County) is calling the I-95 Virginia Exit 148 "Russell Road" (that is the correct name, but it is nowhere to be found on the VDOT BGS assemblies on the freeway, they all read "Marine Corps Base Quantico" - on nearby U.S. 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway), the wording is not exactly the same on the BGSs there, but similar, and again, no mention of "Russell Road").  Another common error is calling U.S. 50 in Fairfax County (west of the western corporate limits of the City of Fairfax) "Lee-Jackson Highway," which never is mentioned on the BGS assemblies on I-66 (though there are some VDOT-standard SGSs on U.S. 50 with the name "John Mosby Highway," for that is what the Commonwealth of Virginia calls it).

Part of this is, as you say, that they're not familiar with the road network in many cities, but I'm not certain that works as to DC because, at least prior to the Sirius merger, XM was headquartered in Northeast DC (over near the FedEx depot on Eckington Place) and so you'd think the reporters would know something about the roads. Maybe they're all 20-something kids who have joined this silly fad of attempting to rely on Metrorail to go carless!

There is still a lot of activity in that building, located on Eckington Place, N.E. just north of Florida Avenue.

What it really boils down to is that the FM reports are live reports and the traffic reporters there are able to get new information and react quickly to it. The XM reporters can't do that.

The (high) standards set by traffic reporters like Bob Marbourg (WTOP-103.5 in Washington), Tommy Jaxson (KNX-1070 in Los Angeles) and Tom Kaminski (WCBS-880 in New York) and their colleagues (management of all-news stations understand that accurate traffic reports are an integral part of their "product") are going to be impossible for SiriusXM to beat.

BUT I will say that if I travel to another city I appreciate having the XM reports available for two reasons: (1) Don't need to drive around twirling the dial looking for a local news station; (2) The XM reporters are more likely to use the route numbers for Interstate Highways and US Highways as opposed to using road names that nobody other than locals would know. I remember when XM rolled out this service back in 2004 some people in some cities complained about that–"we use the names, so they shouldn't use the numbers." But the XM report is not intended solely for local commuters and so making it as useful as possible to as many people makes sense. Besides, I think you have to be pretty damn ignorant if every single day you pass a sign saying, for example, "I-278 Staten Island Expressway" and you can't remember what I-278 is (I cite this example because I once referred to "278" and my cousin, WHO LIVED ON STATEN ISLAND, had no idea what I meant–at the time I didn't know that New Yorkers have that peculiar predilection for names).

Localisms (such as Bob Marbourg calling the S.E./S.W. Freeway in D.C. "The Freeway") are inevitable, given the limited amount of time that they have on the air.

WCBS also does a decent job of covering transit (and transit service disruptions on the subway and the various commuter railroad lines) in New York and its suburbs, though I don't know the rail transit system well enough to convert what they say to information for me.

WTOP tries to cover problems on the Metrorail system, but apparently WMATA is not always forthcoming with reports of rail line service disruptions.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2012, 11:33:28 PM

Starts getting bad as early as 6 A.M around most of the D.C. area, and especially the Outer Loop between I-95 and I-270.  Plenty of "peak-spreading" going on (though Fridays tend to be a little less bad than Tuesday through Thursday).  If you want to be someplace along I-270 and are willing to part with money ($4.00 for the entire way), then take Md. 200 from I-95 to avoid the misery of the Outer Loop.

If I was you, and headed for Richmond from greater NYC, I would avoid it all and just take U.S. 301 south from the intersection of U.S. 40 and Del. 896 (last I-95 exit in Delaware, and avoids the Delaware Turnpike toll).  Come across the Bay Bridge (that's the free direction) and then follow U.S. 50 west to the Capital Beltway.  Then take the Inner Loop (I-95/I-495 South) across the WWB to I-95 south in Springfield. 

I'm trying to go two exits west and grab a clinch as I head through DC - making my way west to the top of US 17. Was hoping 7 was early enough to avoid traffic, but I have a couple of local road options just in case. The WTOP is a good rec, I'll have to listen. *103.5* *103.5* *103.5* come on brain

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2012, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2012, 11:33:28 PM

I'm trying to go two exits west and grab a clinch as I head through DC - making my way west to the top of US 17. Was hoping 7 was early enough to avoid traffic, but I have a couple of local road options just in case. The WTOP is a good rec, I'll have to listen. *103.5* *103.5* *103.5* come on brain

WTOP's 103.5 is good in and near (as within 30 or 40 miles of) D.C.  In Frederick, Maryland, they simulcast on 103.9, and near Opal, Va. (see below), they simulcast on 107.7.

You mean the top of U.S. 17 as in near Paris, Va.?  Or in Winchester, Va.?

If you are headed to the part near Paris, if I were you, I would head west on I-70 from I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) to Frederick; then west on U.S. 340 past Jefferson, Md.; across the Potomac River; a tiny slice of Virginia; Harpers Ferry, W.Va.; (U.S. 340 becomes N-S in West Virginia) - and you have to exit off of 340 onto the Charles Town Bypass, continue south on 340; back into Virginia; through the small town of Berryville, Va. (watch out for municipal cops handing out speeding summonses in Berryville - 340 does not bypass Berryville); then south to the intersection of U.S. 340 and U.S. 50/U.S. 17.  Make a left and follow U.S. 17 south.  At the signalized intersection at Paris, U.S. 17 breaks off from U.S. 50 and heads south. 

You can follow U.S. 17 all the way south to Fredericksburg; joining I-66 near Marshall for a short distance; then U.S. 15/U.S. 29 outside Warrenton; then a left at Opal to stay on U.S. 17 (VDOT is building an trumpet-type interchange at Opal, I don't know what the configuration is there right now, I think you just want to make a left (still)); south to I-95 on the outskirts of Fredericksburg; then continue south to Richmond.

If you want to start from Winchester, make a right at the U.S. 340/U.S. 50/U.S. 17 intersection and head west to Winchester, then double-back to follow U.S. 17 to I-95 near Fredericksburg.  Or even better, at Va. 7 (just north  of Berryville, Va.), just head west on 7 to Winchester, and pick up U.S. 17 there (not exactly sure where it officially starts in Winchester, but there are others here that know this).

Edit:  Suggested Va. 7 from Berryville to Winchester.

1995hoo

^^^^

Opal was still a left turn as of Labor Day weekend and there is no way it's done yet based on how it looked then.

1995hoo

Following up, we did take the ICC route yesterday and it proved to be a nice respite between the Beltway/I-95 and I-270. My wife even liked it. Funny thing is, it was not the least-travelled stretch of highway on our route–that honor goes to the PA-43 toll road between Uniontown and I-70. We saw one other car on our side of the road the entire time we were on there except for just before we exited onto I-70. Made the ICC look like a traffic jam!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2012, 08:55:22 AM
Following up, we did take the ICC route yesterday and it proved to be a nice respite between the Beltway/I-95 and I-270. My wife even liked it. Funny thing is, it was not the least-travelled stretch of highway on our route–that honor goes to the PA-43 toll road between Uniontown and I-70. We saw one other car on our side of the road the entire time we were on there except for just before we exited onto I-70. Made the ICC look like a traffic jam!

I drove Md. 200 the other day from I-95 to Md. 182 (Layhill Road) and back in the afternoon peak period, and traffic is up noticeably over earlier in the year.

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun: ICC revenue ahead of projections, usage growing

QuoteNearly one-year old, the Intercounty Connector is about $1 million ahead of toll revenue projections and gaining users at a rate of about 3 percent a month, the Maryland Transportation Authority announced Thursday morning.

QuoteThe all-electronic toll road runs 18 miles, connecting the Interstate 270 business corridor in Montgomery County to Interstate 95 in Prince George's County. Between July of last year and June, the end of the fiscal year, the highway has generated $19.73 million in revenue and is attracting so many motorists it's already the third-most used MdTA facility, behind the Fort McHenry and Harbor tunnels.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 25, 2012, 01:28:10 PM
Baltimore Sun: ICC revenue ahead of projections, usage growing

QuoteNearly one-year old, the Intercounty Connector is about $1 million ahead of toll revenue projections and gaining users at a rate of about 3 percent a month, the Maryland Transportation Authority announced Thursday morning.

QuoteThe all-electronic toll road runs 18 miles, connecting the Interstate 270 business corridor in Montgomery County to Interstate 95 in Prince George's County. Between July of last year and June, the end of the fiscal year, the highway has generated $19.73 million in revenue and is attracting so many motorists it's already the third-most used MdTA facility, behind the Fort McHenry and Harbor tunnels.

"The $2.6 billion highway is averaging 36,000 vehicles daily between its western terminus and Georgia Avenue – the first segment that opened. The eastern segment, which opened this time last year, is being used daily by 25,000 vehicles. The final ICC segment, which will connect I-95 to U.S. 1, is expected to open late next year or in early 2014."

"Meanwhile, the agency is wrapping up its study of whether the speed limit on the road, also known as Route 200, can be raised from 55 to 65 mph, which has become a popular cry from users. A decision is expected before the end of the year."
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

65 mph yes.
Need for 6 lanes no. 36,000 ADT? Even if that grows to 50,000, 4 lanes is plenty.

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on October 25, 2012, 09:47:55 PM
65 mph yes.
Need for 6 lanes no. 36,000 ADT? Even if that grows to 50,000, 4 lanes is plenty.

It will need 6 lanes if it grows to 80,000 to 100,000 or more AADT, probable given its location in the D.C. area, within the next 20 years.

That doesn't even take into account what will happen if it is extended to VA-286 or VA-28 in Virginia, and/or to MD US-301.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on October 25, 2012, 09:47:55 PM
65 mph yes.

The travel demand forecasts done for the ICC FEIS predicted enough traffic to justify six lanes from I-370 to I-95.  The short segment between I-95 and U.S. 1 in Prince George's County will only have four lanes.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on October 25, 2012, 10:17:55 PM
That doesn't even take into account what will happen if it is extended to VA-286 or VA-28 in Virginia, and/or to MD US-301.

Not currently in any master plan, thanks to pandering to NIMBYs and anti-highway activists by the Montgomery County and Prince George's County Councils and an assortment of elected officials in the City of Bowie.  Objections to any highway project by elected officials in Bowie have always amused me, given that very nearly all of Bowie is Maryland's Levittown (only the "old" part of Bowie, near the intersection of Md. 197 and Md. 564, was not subdivided and in most cases built by Levitt).  IMO, most of what Levitt built in Bowie has aged very well, but it is still auto-oriented suburban sprawling land use.

Over time, as the "new town" of Konterra starts to take shape around the I-95/Md. 200 interchange, I think the pressure for an extension east and south at least as far as U.S. 50 will grow in Prince George's County.  The other factor in favor of an extension south and east is safety.  Md. 197 between the northern corporate limits of Bowie and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway is an inadequate and overloaded two-lane arterial highway, with plenty of crashes, some fatal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.