Last Exit in New York, Leaving state signs and other unusual warning signs

Started by A00234826, May 18, 2014, 09:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A00234826

I noticed as I was driving over the GW bridge a yellow warning sign on Exit 1A saying (Last exit in NY),

Normaly a yellow warning sign with an exit sign warns you something important like (Last exit before toll) so people have a last chance to get off to avoid tolls. 

is it unusual to put warning signs before a state border like NY-NJ on highways like NY thruway or in NY near the hudson river bridge.

on I-90 entering NY border I see Leaving Massachusetts sign, normaly at border I see  a welcome sign but not a leaving sign.

I also seen warning signs on Rest arias saying (Last serves aria), but sometimes like on I-95 in Ct near East Haven (Last serves before I-91)

If Its considered important to traffic to know about unusual Last exit warnings and leaving state signs this
if so I suggest in Massachussets
On I-95 NB in Sailsbury to put up a yellow (Last Exit in Massachussets) sign with (Exit 60 Rt-286) and SB in Attobaro (Exit 1 (Last Exit in Massachussets) US-1 south Brodway)  and after Exit 1 2 underpasses after (Leaving Massachusetts come back soon)
On I-90 mass pike WB near Charlton rest aria put up a warning sign (Last serves before I-84)  for example (Charlton Services aria (Last serves before I-84) 2 miles) becasue After Charlton is the I-84 Interchange and there no serves aria on I-84.

On I-84 southbound near Exit 1 put up (Exit 1( last exit in Massachusetts) Mashapaug Road Southbridge) and near the Ct border like on the first sign of Exit 74 put up (Leaving Massachusetts come back soon) so they know they left Massachussets

IN Connecticut I suggest on I-95 soutbounds Exit 2 and I-84 westbounds Exit 1 put up (Last exit in New England) becasue when they enter NY there No longer in New England and also on the NY borders of I-84 in New Salem and I-95 in Port Chester put (Leaving New England come back soon).

anyother unusual last exit warnings and leaving state signs I need to know .

thenetwork

Quote from: A00234826 on May 18, 2014, 09:13:36 PM
I noticed as I was driving over the GW bridge a yellow warning sign on Exit 1A saying (Last exit in NY),

Normaly a yellow warning sign with an exit sign warns you something important like (Last exit before toll) so people have a last chance to get off to avoid tolls.

To Exit 1A's defense, if you miss that last exit in NY(C), you are going to have to pay a pretty penny for a U-turn in Jersey.  It's probably good to remind drivers of the "point of no free return".

Meanwhile, much further down I-80, I remember the Indiana Toll Road making such a brouhaha over it's LAST SERVICE PLAZA signs before the WB I-80/I-90 Split.  It's not like there are service deserts as soon as you cross into Illinois -- but there are oases!!   :-D

Pete from Boston

is it unusual to put warning signs before a state border like NY-NJ on highways like NY thruway or in NY near the hudson river bridge.

on I-90 entering NY border I see Leaving Massachusetts sign, normaly at border I see  a welcome sign but not a leaving sign.

I also seen warning signs on Rest arias saying (Last serves aria), but sometimes like on I-95 in Ct near East Haven (Last serves before I-91)

If Its considered important to traffic to know about unusual Last exit warnings and leaving state signs this
if so I suggest in Massachussets
On I-95 NB in Sailsbury to put up a yellow (Last Exit in Massachussets) sign with (Exit 60 Rt-286) and SB in Attobaro (Exit 1 (Last Exit in Massachussets) US-1 south Brodway)  and after Exit 1 2 underpasses after (Leaving Massachusetts come back soon)
On I-90 mass pike WB near Charlton rest aria put up a warning sign (Last serves before I-84)  for example (Charlton Services aria (Last serves before I-84) 2 miles) becasue After Charlton is the I-84 Interchange and there no serves aria on I-84.

On I-84 southbound near Exit 1 put up (Exit 1( last exit in Massachusetts) Mashapaug Road Southbridge) and near the Ct border like on the first sign of Exit 74 put up (Leaving Massachusetts come back soon) so they know they left Massachussets

IN Connecticut I suggest on I-95 soutbounds Exit 2 and I-84 westbounds Exit 1 put up (Last exit in New England) becasue when they enter NY there No longer in New England and also on the NY borders of I-84 in New Salem and I-95 in Port Chester put (Leaving New England come back soon).

anyother unusual last exit warnings and leaving state signs I need to know .

Suggested:  A sign in Vernon, CT, reading "Entering Greater New York."  At all roads crossing meridians, remind drivers to synchronize GPS devices.  A sign on the Mass Pike reading, "Notice: Highway does not enter Worcester."  Signs on I-95 every ten miles alerting motorists how far they are from the Atlantic Ocean.  And of course, at Houlton, Maine, "Warning: New York 550 miles."

cpzilliacus

The Maryland Transportation Authority has signs on I-95 entering Baltimore City like this one (northbound) welcoming drivers to the Fort McHenry Tunnel, even though there are several exits to come before the last exit before toll (and the tunnel). 

I understand that they have installed them at this location because the FMT maintenance is responsible for all of I-95 in Baltimore, not just the tunnel tubes and the vicinity of the toll plaza. 

Still, I wonder if some drivers get confused by such panels?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jp the roadgeek

You really only need "Last Exit in XX" signs if you're going east or north on a highway.  It's pretty much common sense heading south or west when you hit exit 1 or 0 that you're near the state border or the end of the highway, whether the numbers be mileage based or sequential.  Then again, where do you put the last exit sign on a beltway? :hmmm:

Another sign I did see heading north/west on 87/287 before the Tappan Zee at Exit 9 was "Last Exit Before Bridge"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

A00234826

Quote from: thenetwork on May 18, 2014, 09:25:36 PM

To Exit 1A's defense, if you miss that last exit in NY(C), you are going to have to pay a pretty penny for a U-turn in Jersey.  It's probably good to remind drivers of the "point of no free return".

Meanwhile, much further down I-80, I remember the Indiana Toll Road making such a brouhaha over it's LAST SERVICE PLAZA signs before the WB I-80/I-90 Split.  It's not like there are service deserts as soon as you cross into Illinois -- but there are oases!!

Is not just the GW bridge its all over New York like on I-90 at Exit 61, Garden State parkway at Exit 1 (school house road)

roadman

The MassPike (I-90) westbound has a sign (white on green) in West Stockbridge reading "Leaving Massachusetts Come Back Soon".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

roadman65

In New Jersey it is common to have either "LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL" or "LAST EXIT IN NJ" because of the tolls later on upon leaving the state.  Both of these methods are either used, but not both, though.  I-78 at Exit 3 has last NJ exit on it, because you are still several miles from the actual state border.  I-295 uses the Last Exit Before Toll  one at the NJ 49 exit  most likely because the signage is from the DRBA who maintains the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Then Kansas using "LAST FREE EXIT" before its turnpike is unusual to say the least.

Of course, Michigan refers a toll to be a fare, as their signs read "LAST EXIT BEFORE FARE"
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: A00234826 on May 18, 2014, 09:13:36 PMRest arias saying (Last serves aria

Please define the terms "rest arias" and "serves aria." I don't think I've ever seen those words before used in that context.

2010 Springfield Trip Day 4-056 by hbelkins, on Flickr

2010 Springfield Trip Day 4-174 by hbelkins, on Flickr

2010 Springfield Trip Day 4-175 by hbelkins, on Flickr

2010 Springfield Trip Day 4-172 by hbelkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I think, too, that the Garden State Parkway has one at Exit 172 for its last exit before the NYS Thruway.  Even though a U Turn is possible without paying an extra toll here as the state has a land border between the two states.

Nice I-78 shots.  I see they changed the signs to remove the "TO" between US 22 and NJ 122 though.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

Quote from: roadman on May 18, 2014, 10:19:31 PM
The MassPike (I-90) westbound has a sign (white on green) in West Stockbridge reading "Leaving Massachusetts Come Back Soon".

My shot of said sign, taken on November 30, 2013:

Duke87

To be honest, this never struck me as odd. The statement is factually correct, and it is a fair warning to drivers who are not looking to cross the river. There is a lot of "last exit before toll" signage around. For bridges tolled in only one direction, you can't say this in the free direction, but there is still sense in alerting drivers that if they miss this exit and have to U-turn, it will cost them.

Now, if you had a sign like this and it wasn't right before a toll bridge, then it would be silly.

Also, a rest aria would be a song of resting. Like this?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

briantroutman

A few miles north of me is the only exit I can recall which mentions being the last exit in a county.

In this case, the county border it coincides with a toll bridge over SF Bay. A separate sign indicates "TOLL CROSSING ENTRANCE - FREE DIRECTION" .

kurumi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2014, 11:20:17 PM
Quote from: A00234826 on May 18, 2014, 09:13:36 PMRest arias saying (Last serves aria

Please define the terms "rest arias" and "serves aria." I don't think I've ever seen those words before used in that context.

In opera, we used to call a "rest aria" a tacit fermata, meaning the singer would hold the note, but silently :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Pete from Boston

Quote from: A00234826 on May 18, 2014, 10:19:04 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 18, 2014, 09:25:36 PM

Meanwhile, much further down I-80, I remember the Indiana Toll Road making such a brouhaha over it's LAST SERVICE PLAZA signs before the WB I-80/I-90 Split.  It's not like there are service deserts as soon as you cross into Illinois -- but there are oases!!

Is not just the GW bridge its all over New York like on I-90 at Exit 61, Garden State parkway at Exit 1 (school house road)

On the Garden State Parkway extension southbound it basically implies "Last Exit Before Toll."  Explicitly stating that is only half correct, because technically you can reverse direction or leave the highway at the Montvale Service Area, but for the unawares that fact isn't stated on any signs and on to the tollbooth they go.

On 78 West, on the other hand, they'd be correct in stating "Last Exit Before Toll."  I don't know if it's indifference or professional courtesy that keeps them from doing so.

formulanone

On the other side of I-78, there's a yellow warning sign notifying you that it's the last exit in Pennsylvania.

dgolub

I think the intent behind the "Last Exit in NY" at the George Washington Bridge (I-95/US 1/US 9) and the "Last Exit Before Bridge" at the Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87/I-287) is to inform motorists that they'll need to pay a toll to come back if they miss that exit.  I'm only seen this type of signage by bridges that have a toll in only one direction.

jeffandnicole

A "Last Exit in (State)" generally alerts people to the fact they are about ready to leave the state.  To the Stupid out there, if they were supposed to get to a destination in said state, and they are about ready to leave said state, then they might have missed their exit.

1995hoo

When I was a kid I always thought of the New York signs as being sort of in the vein of that old slogan "If you're tired of New York you must be tired of life." The toll point never occurred to me then, but it's a good one. Back then I usually saw those signs on Staten Island approaching either the Goethals Bridge or the Outerbridge, depending on which route my father chose to use on a given day. I haven't driven to Brooklyn since July 2010, but I recall there used to be a sign at the last eastbound exit on Staten Island prior to the Verrazano (Lily Pond Avenue, I believe) that read "Last Exit Before Bridge." When I was a kid it said "Last Exit Before Toll," but when they went to one-way tolling they used "yellow-out" to change it. Back then I thought it was a case of making the minimal fix to the sign instead of replacing it, but the point "dgolub" makes about paying a toll to come back makes sense.

Situations where you have to go through some sort of obstacle to get back are good occasions to use that sort of banner. Going up I-87 to Montreal, for example, there's a "LAST US EXIT" banner on the sign for Exit 43 (I do not off the top of my head remember if there is a chance to cut a U-turn before Canada Customs and I don't want to load a mapping site to look). The rationale there makes a lot of sense.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many of these sorts of signs outside the Northeast except, perhaps, when you approach an international border (yes, I see the California example above, but I have never been to California). In the Southeast you don't see this sort of thing, but you don't see as many toll roads either with the possible exception of Florida (and theirs don't go to the state lines). I note you do not always see this sort of thing prior to another state's toll, either–I don't ever remember Exit 109 on I-95 in Maryland prior to the Delaware line having a "Last Exit in Maryland" or "Last Exit Before Toll" banner, although I acknowledge there may well be new signs there since Delaware rebuilt the toll plaza (I haven't gone that way in several years either).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bob7374

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 19, 2014, 08:46:47 AM
A "Last Exit in (State)" generally alerts people to the fact they are about ready to leave the state.  To the Stupid out there, if they were supposed to get to a destination in said state, and they are about ready to leave said state, then they might have missed their exit.
I sometimes reasoned, half-seriously, especially with the 'Last Exit in New Jersey' signs, that these were placed to aid members of the local mafia who have been told not to leave the state while awaiting trial. Of course, why criminals who broke the law once already would obey such a sign...

roadman65

Well why do trucks obey the NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE ruling on NJ Highways, but do not obey the posted speed limits you could also ask.

There was a Last Exit in Manhattan sign at I-95's northbound exit for the Harlem River Drive.  That is totally unusual for a borough to have its last exit mentioned as no place else in the NYC 5 boroughs has, or at least I have never seen.  I am not sure if the sign still exists or not to this day, but was there for sure before the FDR Drive was added to the mix when NYCDOT recently upgraded their signs along I-95.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on May 19, 2014, 12:03:16 AM
A few miles north of me is the only exit I can recall which mentions being the last exit in a county.

San Quentin, may you rot and burn in hell.
May your walls fall, and may I live to tell.
May all the world forget you ever stood.
And may all the world regret you did no good.

San Quentin, I hate every inch of you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

A green LAST EXIT IN NEW YORK signage along the Southbound GSP near the NJ State line in Chestnut Ridge, NY.

A yellow LAST EXIT IN PA EXIT ONLY banner on this BGS along I-76 Eastbound just prior to the Walt Whitman Bridge in South Philadelphia.

Note: even though there's no toll in this direction (there hasn't been since the early 90s), the DRPA still thought that such signage was needed given the location and circumstances.

Quote from: hbelkins on May 19, 2014, 11:53:56 AMSan Quentin, may you rot and burn in hell.
May your walls fall, and may I live to tell.
May all the world forget you ever stood.
And may all the world regret you did no good.

San Quentin, I hate every inch of you.
For San Quentin, I would've used this clip from Magnum Force
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 19, 2014, 12:31:03 PM
Note: even though there's no toll in this direction (there hasn't been since the early 90s), the DRPA still thought that such signage was needed given the location and circumstances.

Or they just replaced the "last exit before toll" wording instead of the entire signs when the toll was removed?

Also, the PA Turnpike welcomes you to PA at places far away from the state border. The NJ Turnpike does this too, but only at its termini which happen to be relatively close to the state lines.

Leaving signs for towns (on non-freeways) are pretty common in NJ, but Clark's says "Thank you for visiting" which, given that I used to live there, always sounded self-deprecating to me. I suppose most of the "visitors" com from the GS Parkway to go to the Shoprite right at the exit. Still, they could acknowledge that people live there too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.