News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 02, 2022, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 11:54:21 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2022, 08:31:15 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 01, 2022, 02:37:17 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 01:57:24 PM
Anyone wish that Cities Skylines had regions and bigger cities? 81 tiles is a lot but I want to build a damn country. Also the limits are annoying.

Not really, I enjoyed filling up 25 tiles and that was enough in one map for me. Who has a supercomputer capable of running anything more with more than 5 FPS anyways?

If you can get a computer with a good processor, really good graphics card, and 64 GB of RAM, you should be able to build an 81-tile region pretty easily.

I had 32 GB of RAM with a GTX 1080 and Intel 8086k chip, vintage 2018, and I could fill up a map without too much issue.
The limits might be a bigger issue than the computing power.

Limits of what? The game, RAM, graphics, storage or something else?
In the game, there is a cap on the number of vehicles you can have out at one time, the ammount of people that can be out in your city at once, the ammount of objects you can have in your city, among other things. Can get quite annoying when trying to build a huge city.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

algorerhythms

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:15:47 PM
Anyone wish that Cities Skylines had regions and bigger cities? 81 tiles is a lot but I want to build a damn country. Also the limits are annoying.

Not really, I enjoyed filling up 25 tiles and that was enough in one map for me. Who has a supercomputer capable of running anything more with more than 5 FPS anyways?
Not to fill up, but to build a large region or country with multiple cities, towns, and rural areas. Different regions can be loaded at different times, that's what SimCity did I think.
I liked the SimCity 4 implementation of this, though it was easily exploitable. Any commuter traffic that couldn't find a job in a city would move on to the next city, so you could make a toll highway loop that ran indefinitely.  I often funded my cities just with tolls, and set taxes to zero.

skluth

If you can get a computer with a good processor, really good graphics card, and 64 GB of RAM, you should be able to build an 81-tile region pretty easily.

I had 32 GB of RAM with a GTX 1080 and Intel 8086k chip, vintage 2018, and I could fill up a map without too much issue.

I tried to buy the game today and was unable to download it. I spent an hour this morning with support just trying to either a) get a download to happen or b) get a refund. I'm now waiting for a refund since Microsoft's site for downloading Cities Skylines is completely f***** up. Doesn't get any more limiting than that.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: algorerhythms on December 02, 2022, 03:21:55 PM

Not to fill up, but to build a large region or country with multiple cities, towns, and rural areas. Different regions can be loaded at different times, that's what SimCity did I think.
I liked the SimCity 4 implementation of this, though it was easily exploitable. Any commuter traffic that couldn't find a job in a city would move on to the next city, so you could make a toll highway loop that ran indefinitely.  I often funded my cities just with tolls, and set taxes to zero.
I always play with unlimited money, not interested in the financial aspect of the game.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: skluth on December 02, 2022, 04:40:01 PM

I tried to buy the game today and was unable to download it. I spent an hour this morning with support just trying to either a) get a download to happen or b) get a refund. I'm now waiting for a refund since Microsoft's site for downloading Cities Skylines is completely f***** up. Doesn't get any more limiting than that.

Are you on PC? It's better to buy and download it via Steam.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 02, 2022, 02:04:46 PM

In the game, there is a cap on the number of vehicles you can have out at one time, the ammount of people that can be out in your city at once, the ammount of objects you can have in your city, among other things. Can get quite annoying when trying to build a huge city.

This is indeed the main issue with the game. Hopefully this is resolved in C:S2. There are mods that remove a good number of the limits, but not all. Many are not particularly stable, either.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 02, 2022, 05:06:34 PM
Quote from: algorerhythms on December 02, 2022, 03:21:55 PM

I always play with unlimited money, not interested in the financial aspect of the game.
When I've been playing the console edition as of late, I keep money turned on. I do enjoy finding the balance handling money, but what it also does is stop me from being unrealistic. If I had infinite money on day one, I could go hog wild with streets and multiple future freeways that wouldn't feel right. I enjoy the financial constraint and trying to make the money go as far as I can.

One thing I always make sure I do now in any city, I reserve one road coming off the provided entrance that will eventually be upgraded to a highway. I don't even bother putting any commercial near it anymore since I know eventually it'll be replaced with an interchange. I like seeing it go from a two-lane road to a four-lane expressway to a fully limited-access freeway.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

CNGL-Leudimin

While I have the game on my laptop, I don't have really played it (mainly because I didn't got it from Steam). However I'm planning to draw a series of city maps based on the terrains from the game, so I can do something other than versions of One Island from Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

IowaTraveler

This year's Paradox Interactive announcement show has just confirmed that Cities: Skylines 2 is in development and will release later this year!
Here's the announcement trailer:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: IowaTraveler on March 06, 2023, 03:08:03 PM
This year's Paradox Interactive announcement show has just confirmed that Cities: Skylines 2 is in development and will release later this year!
Here's the announcement trailer:

LETS GO!

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ET21 on March 07, 2023, 12:46:11 PM
I'm very excited for the sequel!
Please get rid of pocket cars. I want realistic parking.

paulthemapguy

I am beyond excited for the new C:S2! That and a Breath of the Wild 2 drop in the same year?  It's gonna be a fantastic year for my kind of gaming! I just wish the C:S2 trailer told us........anything about the game.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

jakeroot

^^^
Ehhh, Unreal Engine...guess it's time to get a new computer.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 07, 2023, 12:53:55 PM
I seem to recall that the reason they did pocket cars was because they thought that cities would look boring and ugly if they had a realistic amount of parking. I agree with you, though, that pocket cars should go away. It always annoys me when I build a modal filter in my city just for car drivers to park on one side, walk across the modal filter, then get back in their car on the other side. (Though I guess a more American solution to that would just be to drive their pickup truck straight over it).

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on March 08, 2023, 12:20:30 AM
^^^
They've confirmed it's still Unity. Unreal was used to make the trailer, but as indicated by the text in the video it didn't show any actual in-game footage.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: algorerhythms on March 08, 2023, 09:53:53 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 07, 2023, 12:53:55 PM
I seem to recall that the reason they did pocket cars was because they thought that cities would look boring and ugly if they had a realistic amount of parking. I agree with you, though, that pocket cars should go away. It always annoys me when I build a modal filter in my city just for car drivers to park on one side, walk across the modal filter, then get back in their car on the other side. (Though I guess a more American solution to that would just be to drive their pickup truck straight over it).
I don't want cute cities. Well I do, but I want realistic looking cities. Want less need for parking? Build some public transit. I want things like parking garages and giant shopping mall parking lots in the game.

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on March 08, 2023, 03:01:47 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 08, 2023, 12:20:30 AM
^^^
They've confirmed it's still Unity. Unreal was used to make the trailer, but as indicated by the text in the video it didn't show any actual in-game footage.

That makes a lot of sense. Unreal doesn't seem to fit this genre IMO. Plus, I've heard it's much harder to mod Unreal than Unity, which should be a deal-breaker given how popular modding is with Skylines.

JoePCool14

So excited for C:S 2! It'll be a great introduction to playing C:S on a capable machine for a change. Plus, my city of 350k that I've been working on since 2015 in C:S 1 is effectively dead. It'll be nice to start fresh on a brand-new game!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

vtk

One thing I noticed in the trailer is the roundabout with a broken line all the way around the circle. Is there any place in the world where that's done and makes sense?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vdeane

Quote from: vtk on March 10, 2023, 09:50:23 PM
One thing I noticed in the trailer is the roundabout with a broken line all the way around the circle. Is there any place in the world where that's done and makes sense?
Some of the old traffic circles in NY do that.  Whether that makes sense is another question.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

I believe they are called concentric markings.

Spiral-style markings, like those predominantly used in Australia, Canada, and the US are a more recent invention.

I believe several countries have been known to make frequent use of concentric markings, such as Poland, Czech Republic*, Spain, France, and the UK. Some countries don't use any markings at all. Some, like the UK, have generally transitioned over to using spiral markings.

They work because drivers don't view the roundabout as a separate road. The markings simply help dilineate the lanes within the roundabout, not what traffic is allowed to do at the entry/exit points. As a general rule of thumb, the outside lane must exit and the inside lane may exit.

So, in short: it's used in many places, and it seems to make sense to the people who use them.

* The Czech Republic's use of concentric markings has made its way to the Wiki page for "roundabout interchange", where you can see them being used at this interchange in the country:

CovalenceSTU

They're rather common in the Middle East (I think every country on the peninsula except Qatar uses them) - all lanes go straight so it functions like this spiral-style roundabout:

vdeane

There's a new trailer out!  Looks like the game is getting normal-looking ramp merges and tools to more easily make seamless freeways and interchanges (such as being able to draw both directions at the same time).  We also have a release date of October 24.

https://www.gameinformer.com/xbox-games-showcase/2023/06/11/cities-skylines-ii-launches-in-october
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Yeah, looks like quite a few existing mods are being built into the game from the get-go, especially the road tool mods from creators like macsergey. Really exciting stuff, especially for those who otherwise don't mod.

For those who do mod...this is still very exciting, because I can tell this game looks ripe for modding. I am so pumped to see what people start creating, especially assets. If this game starts to move in a direction where there is less need to mod, that's really big for players because the game because less of a "there's no technical way to do it" and more of a "can you find the time to do it" situation, which is what I think everyone has always wanted anyways.

Still interested to see the maximum map size. I don't see any distance fog in the trailer, so I'm curious if it cuts of Sim City 4-style, or maybe some intelligent rendering Roller Coaster Tycoon 3-style, or what.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.