Right Idea, Wrong Sign

Started by vtk, April 01, 2015, 12:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKRhodes

Quote from: jakeroot on April 06, 2015, 06:19:46 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on April 06, 2015, 02:15:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2015, 02:01:26 PM
I hate these goofs. It's not a lane merge, it's a turn-only lane. Why can't Wichita seem to figure out the difference?

http://goo.gl/maps/FsuyR

Similarly, I've seen places in California where turn only lanes are marked with the large diagonal "lane reduction"  arrows. I don't recall having encountered this elsewhere.

https://goo.gl/maps/WuUVU

I don't actually mind that. The DOT is basically saying "To stay on this road, merge left...otherwise, prepare to turn right".

Those are somewhat common in Arizona as well, moreso around Tucson as I recall.

elsmere241

Quote from: spooky on April 03, 2015, 10:18:51 AM
Saw an intersection like that where the stop sign was mounted on the opposite side of the intersection.

Sucks for the older driver at night who maybe can't see what's ahead of them very well, but knows they are supposed to stop adjacent to the stop sign.

My town has these at every T-intersection.

bzakharin

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 04, 2015, 10:08:19 AM
I could see this contractor sign being a slight problem.

There is a "Keep Right Pass Left" sign on the Exit 7S ramp from Atlantic City Expressway Westbound to Garden State Parkway South. The ramp starts out with two lanes, which merge into one after the ramp turns right immediately following this sign (but not visible until you're in the turn). I can't imagine what possessed them to place the sign at that particular location, where it causes confusion at best and accidents at worst. Even worse, the just merged ramp becomes an an exit only lane for exit 37, so if you keep right, you actually leave the Parkway. Unfortunately Google doesn't have this, but here's a Bing link: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=39.412624~-74.555800&lvl=15&sty=x~lat~39.412624~lon~-74.5558~alt~-16.859~z~30~h~-201~p~-5.1~pid~5082&app=5082&FORM=LMLTCC
You need silverlight

kphoger

I'm still, to this day, trying to figure out why Kansas posts "Do Not Pass" signs at every construction zone, even when the zone is on a divided multi-lane highway. It's particularly stupid on the canal route here in Wichita, which has three lanes in each direction and is elevated with a waterway in between. Ain't no way the possibility of head-to-head traffic can be the reason in that scenario. So what exactly is the "right reason" for these "wrong signs"?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

^ The "pass" could be referring to "overtaking" (as in passing a car going in the same direction). Not sure why that would be an issue in most situations though, except on a narrow curve or something...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

Quote from: roadfro on April 09, 2015, 10:21:48 PM
^ The "pass" could be referring to "overtaking" (as in passing a car going in the same direction).

Yeah, that's usually what that sign means...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2015, 10:59:36 PM
I'm still, to this day, trying to figure out why Kansas posts "Do Not Pass" signs at every construction zone, even when the zone is on a divided multi-lane highway. It's particularly stupid on the canal route here in Wichita, which has three lanes in each direction and is elevated with a waterway in between. Ain't no way the possibility of head-to-head traffic can be the reason in that scenario. So what exactly is the "right reason" for these "wrong signs"?

Is there a solid strip dividing the lanes, or are they still passing zones? 

Usually, "Stay in Lane" is the proper sign for such cases.

jakeroot

Quote from: mhh on April 10, 2015, 06:41:50 PM
The regulatory sign in front of the yellow bollards isn't quite right:\

I'm thinking this might be a better sign:

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2015, 10:59:36 PM
Outside of urban areas, Kansas work zones tend to take the form of a single carriageway being converted to head to head traffic while the other is closed entirely. The Do Not Pass sign makes sense in that context. I'm guessing that somehow a directive or drawing for that situation is being applied to work zones that make less sense for its application.

That, or cars changing lanes in work zones makes KDOT antsy for some reason.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

From the stop signs that make no sense thread: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.413467,-87.005586,3a,75y,85.71h,70.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRl33LBfo3VtMzAy9sUAMwQ!2e0?hl=en

Even though it a signalized T intersection, a double arrow (W1-7) instead of a Dead End sign would work better:

JKRhodes

It's an acceleration lane(coming from I-25 south to University Ave West) that merges across the bike lane into the mainline. The sign gets the message across well enough, even though it's inaccurate to call it a right turn lane..

sdmichael

Being a DMV employee that gives tests about signs, seeing things like this is troubling...

J N Winkler

Quote from: Big John on April 06, 2015, 02:13:29 PM
^^ Need to re-mark the pavement and replace the sign wit a R3-7.

That is the by-the-book solution, but I don't particularly care for it because this text-only sign is very difficult to tell apart from its left-hand twin at a distance.  This particular intersection has the lane drop on the right but there are others in Wichita (such as this one) where the drop is on the left, so drivers cannot rely on consistency to avoid getting swept into turn lanes.

I much prefer the Arizona solution, which is to use one of the lane assignment signs (turning arrow above word "ONLY") on a ground mount, often with no lane assignment signs for any of the through lanes.  It is easier to interpret at a distance but it is not necessarily MUTCD kosher.

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2015, 10:59:36 PMI'm still, to this day, trying to figure out why Kansas posts "Do Not Pass" signs at every construction zone, even when the zone is on a divided multi-lane highway. It's particularly stupid on the canal route here in Wichita, which has three lanes in each direction and is elevated with a waterway in between. Ain't no way the possibility of head-to-head traffic can be the reason in that scenario. So what exactly is the "right reason" for these "wrong signs"?

As Scott5411 says, they are called for in KDOT standard drawings for lane closures on multilane highways.  "Stay In Lane" is not a substitute because vehicles have to merge out of the lane being closed.  "Do Not Pass" is positioned after "Road Work Ahead," "X Lane Closed," "Speed Limit XX Ahead," but before the actual workzone speed limit sign.  Its purpose is to discourage aggressive drivers from speeding toward the merge point to try to get around vehicles which are coasting down to bring themselves into compliance with the reduced limit.  If a road carries a lot of traffic, the slowdown for the reduced limit will often extend quite far back from the first actual speed limit sign.

I don't remember offhand whether "Do Not Pass" is used in workzones with head-to-head traffic where one half of a divided highway is closed, but in that context it is arguably redundant (though its use may be a legal requirement) because KDOT requires its contractors to use channel delineators to prevent passing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bzakharin

Just noticed this yesterday:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.388628,-74.566496,3a,37.5y,55.93h,87.41t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGfY25P2ZYmM4k0bTtDhLQA!2e0
Does this qualify as a ramp? It's just the beginning of Hingston Ave. And that 25 speed limit becomes non-advisory under the tree near where that stop sign is visible. I suppose it's there to tell you the speed limit right away before making the turn, but it's still not the right sign.

roadfro

Quote from: bzakharin on April 29, 2015, 06:35:27 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.388628,-74.566496,3a,37.5y,55.93h,87.41t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGfY25P2ZYmM4k0bTtDhLQA!2e0
Does this qualify as a ramp? It's just the beginning of Hingston Ave. And that 25 speed limit becomes non-advisory under the tree near where that stop sign is visible. I suppose it's there to tell you the speed limit right away before making the turn, but it's still not the right sign.

I don't think this is trying to warn of the upcoming speed limit, but rather establishing an advisory speed for the turn. In that case, this is an appropriate application. Better to use "ramp" than "exit".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

bzakharin

Quote from: roadfro on May 01, 2015, 03:02:51 AM

I don't think this is trying to warn of the upcoming speed limit, but rather establishing an advisory speed for the turn. In that case, this is an appropriate application. Better to use "ramp" than "exit".
Generally advisory speeds are lower than the actual speed limit. The speed limit on that road is already 25 as signed a few hundred feet away. Are you saying the speed limit is not 25 until the speed limit sign? What kind of sense would that make?

Alps

SignGeek101

Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2015, 07:58:12 PM

I think that one is probably fake. Still funny though.

roadfro

Quote from: bzakharin on May 01, 2015, 07:31:34 PM

Generally advisory speeds are lower than the actual speed limit. The speed limit on that road is already 25 as signed a few hundred feet away. Are you saying the speed limit is not 25 until the speed limit sign? What kind of sense would that make?

An advisory speed is usually lower than the speed limit, but I have seen a couple instances of advisory speeds being the same as the normal posted speed. But that is besides the point.

According to street view, the road that this sign is posted on has a speed limit of 45. This sign is simply implying that the turn "ramp" is to be taken at 25 mph. I can't tell for certain, but it seems like the ramp here might appear as if it is a wider curve than it actually is...

Although I can believe that the sign might have been (incorrectly) used as a warning for the speed limit downstream. What I learned is that a speed limit does not go into effect until you pass the plane of the actual sign.

6a

Not sure which thread this best fits so here we go. The sun wasn't cooperating so if it isn't obvious, the sign is white.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadfro on May 02, 2015, 12:20:07 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on May 01, 2015, 07:31:34 PM

An advisory speed is usually lower than the speed limit, but I have seen a couple instances of advisory speeds being the same as the normal posted speed. But that is besides the point.

According to street view, the road that this sign is posted on has a speed limit of 45. This sign is simply implying that the turn "ramp" is to be taken at 25 mph. I can't tell for certain, but it seems like the ramp here might appear as if it is a wider curve than it actually is...

Although I can believe that the sign might have been (incorrectly) used as a warning for the speed limit downstream. What I learned is that a speed limit does not go into effect until you pass the plane of the actual sign.

A "signed" speed limit.  Otherwise it defaults to the statutory speed limit, which in this case could either be 25 or 35.

jakeroot

What I learned is that a speed limit does not go into effect until you pass the plane of the actual sign.

I was taught at driving school to go the speed indicated on the sign at the point you reach it. So, if you're in a 30 mph-zone, and you come upon a sign indicating a 40 mph-zone, you should be at 40 when you hit that sign.

That does appear to be adverse to much of what I've read online. Though, the educators at my school are/were former police, so I'm tempted to believe what they say.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on May 02, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
What I learned is that a speed limit does not go into effect until you pass the plane of the actual sign.

I was taught at driving school to go the speed indicated on the sign at the point you reach it. So, if you're in a 30 mph-zone, and you come upon a sign indicating a 40 mph-zone, you should be at 40 when you hit that sign.

That does appear to be adverse to much of what I've read online. Though, the educators at my school are/were former police, so I'm tempted to believe what they say.

The example you gave is a bit backward, in that it implies you should be breaking the limit before the new higher limit takes effect. The other way around works though and makes sense: In a 40 going down to 30, you should be at 30 by the time you hit the sign.

signalman

Quote from: roadfro on May 02, 2015, 08:16:55 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 02, 2015, 07:34:31 PM

The example you gave is a bit backward, in that it implies you should be breaking the limit before the new higher limit takes effect. The other way around works though and makes sense: In a 40 going down to 30, you should be at 30 by the time you hit the sign.
Plus, to cite Jake's example; it's a speed limit.  There is nothing illegal about going 35 or 37 in a 40.  Though it may piss off other drivers, but that's another subject.  Hell, some drivers are annoyed by getting stuck behind someone going the speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.