News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible Newfoundland Meet?

Started by MisterSG1, April 22, 2018, 08:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

I haven't been posting in quite a while.

I do realize this meet is impossible, but if anyone honestly wants to commit, I'll make it happen. It's harder for y'all to commit than for me.

On a side note, the Team Gushue Highway has just been extended to Topsail Road.

Just wondering if there was still interest for this.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: MisterSG1 on January 06, 2019, 04:26:48 PM
I do realize this meet is impossible, but if anyone honestly wants to commit, I'll make it happen. It's harder for y'all to commit than for me.

Just wondering if there was still interest for this.

I wouldn't say this meet is impossible. If I were in your shoes, I would suggest some possible dates and see who might be available on whatever dates you propose. You can create a poll. For me, I am very interested but it's pretty much impossible that I would be able to do this in 2019 (maybe not 2020 either). As odd as it sounds, I might be able to commit if the meet is announced for a few years from now. Unfortunately it would likely be too far out for anyone else to commit to.

I seriously want to go to Newfoundland in my lifetime, but it's unfortunately not going to happen as early as you're probably hoping to host this meet. But there may be others who might be able to plan on it... especially those who live closer to Newfoundland... New England U.S.A., Ontario, Quebec, or other maritime provinces.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

I agree with AJ.  Such a meet isn't impossible (hell, three made it to Alaska last year), but it will require a bit more planning (and advance warning), than maybe say, a meet in Ohio.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

MisterSG1

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 08, 2019, 06:50:44 AM
or other maritime provinces.

This is a common misconception, the Maritime Provinces refers to those 3, NB, NS, and PE. Newfoundland is not considered a "maritime province". Usually, the correct term to refer to all 4 collectively is "Atlantic Canada".

Newfoundland is tricky because it's out there, kind of like a second Alaska so to speak. (which actually almost happened believe it or not after World War II, but that's a story for another day) And as I mentioned, the ferry ride across the gulf is NOT cheap.

Putting a tentative date is a bit tricky, because god knows where I'll be this summer or next summer, but I suppose wherever I end up, I could always fly over to "The Rock" for the weekend to host the meet.

I picture this meet to be a bit longer than 3 hours, since all of you assuming will have "Come From Away" (had to throw that pun in) I'm sure you won't mind an extended meet as it will be impossible to get back home after the meet in one evening.

ghYHZ

I know it would be a long day/drive and probably best to split into two days.....but for anyone in New England (Boston for example).....an early start will have you dockside in North Sydney ready to board the overnight Marine Atlantic Ferry to Newfoundland at 11:30pm.

https://goo.gl/maps/Jrjg3raDShP2

And the cost of the ferry crossing is reasonable when you consider the distance covered. Adult: $45 and car: $119 each way. Sure it gets a bit more expensive adding in a cabin but about equal to a hotel room ($125.)

https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/

ghYHZ

Quote from: MisterSG1 on January 08, 2019, 08:39:17 PM
Newfoundland is tricky because it's out there, kind of like a second Alaska so to speak. (which actually almost happened believe it or not after World War II, but that's a story for another day)

?? Please enlighten me about Newfoundland almost being a second Alaska after WWII ??

vdeane

I think he might be referring to how there was interest to join the US among the people of Newfoundland at the time of the referendum on becoming part of Canada - neither Canada nor the UK wanted Newfoundland to become American state or territory, so they made sure that option was not on the ballot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: vdeane on January 09, 2019, 12:56:53 PM
I think he might be referring to how there was interest to join the US among the people of Newfoundland at the time of the referendum on becoming part of Canada - neither Canada nor the UK wanted Newfoundland to become American state or territory, so they made sure that option was not on the ballot.

The US did not particularly want it either beyond concerns over Cold War-era military installations, and after Truman was assured there would be no interference with US military bases there the government expressed no further interest in the possibility.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MisterSG1

This is kind of what I was getting at. I do have a whole book on the 1948 referendums called "Don't Tell the Newfoundlanders" but have yet to read it. But I know that there was much trickery to shoehorn Newfoundland into confederation.

Newfoundland and the US of course became strong friends during World War II, the war effort got them out of the depression. Considering Newfoundland, instead of pulling it together, Newfoundland actually voted itself out of existence in the 1930s to become a colony again basically.

Informal polls at the time from what I've read, there was an article in the Cape Breton Post about this, suggested that 70% of Newfoundlanders wanted join the US after World War II.

What was talked about at the time was "economic union", it's unclear exactly what this meant, but somewhere along the lines of what we call a customs union today, it should be noted that in the Dominion era of Newfoundland, they attempted twice to negotiate a free trade deal with the US.

Britain was afraid that responsible government, going back to dominion status may lead to a snowball effect that would have eventually led to Newfoundland probably becoming a US territory. Remember, it would be a full decade after this when Alaska and Hawaii would gain statehood.

Then there's Joey Smallwood, the main proponent of confederation in Newfoundland, and he would be Premier of Newfoundland when it became a province for 23 years thereafter. My parents suggest that there was a lot of skullduggery that he pulled.

Newfoundland as a province became the butt end of jokes in Canada, and it became an outpost. Read up on the whole Churchill Falls incident to see how Newfoundland was always conned. I'd say the average Canadian knows nothing about Newfoundland other than that St. John's is its capital.

This article in The Telegram, which is the "main" St John's newspaper talks about this:

https://www.thetelegram.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor/letter-newfoundland-was-sold-down-the-churchill-river-263605/

We see the effects of how Newfoundland was always used.....I was born and raised in the GTA, meaning that my parents had to move off the island because of bad economic conditions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.