News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New MUTCD announced

Started by Alps, October 05, 2018, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Here in Illinois, it doesn't really matter if they update the MUTCD. IDOT won't try or do anything new unless they're forced on the sword. No innovation, no substantial improvements, no experimentation.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kalvado

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 15, 2023, 07:33:39 PM
Here in Illinois, it doesn't really matter if they update the MUTCD. IDOT won't try or do anything new unless they're forced on the sword. No innovation, no substantial improvements, no experimentation.
That seems like a great way of doing things ..

ilpt4u

Quote from: kalvado on May 15, 2023, 08:23:40 PM
IDOT is making changes. The FYA is slowly appearing across the state, for example. That said, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa as controls are not going anywhere

ISTHA seems more in touch with the MUTCD, again beyond the 3 state controls. The only thing I might even nit-pick at for ISTHA is the 80/294 Southern Tri-State duplex really should follow I-80's mileage and exit numbers, not I-294's, but oh well. ISTHA has done a good job adopting the yellow TOLL banner and also the APL signage, for example. And those are more recent than the previous steps of conforming to the MUTCD with consistent and directionally appropriate mile markers and exit numbers

The biggest blunder by both IDOT but moreso ISTHA is the (directional) Suburbs controls that are in use, mostly for I-355 but appear on I-290, I-88, and IL 53 also. That isn't changing, either

JoePCool14

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 15, 2023, 08:39:23 PM
IDOT is making changes. The FYA is slowly appearing across the state, for example. That said, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa as controls are not going anywhere

IDOT D1 does not know what a FYA is. There is a single example of an IDOT road with an FYA that I can think of, and it technically wasn't their installation, it was the county's.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mgk920

Quote from: formulanone on May 15, 2023, 01:35:44 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 15, 2023, 12:49:28 PM
Quote from: CardInLex on May 15, 2023, 09:34:04 AM
According to the FHWA on the MUTCD website they have to adopt a new MUTCD by today (May 15, 2023) in order to comply with a provision of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. So far, it's crickets from FHWA. Do you all think today will be the day? What will happen if they fail to adopt a new version by the congressionally mandated date?

The USA will convert to the Geneva Convention?

Mike

Yes, whatever convention is used in Geneva, Illinois.

No, Lake Geneva, WI

:nod:

Mike

ran4sh

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 15, 2023, 08:39:23 PM

The biggest blunder by both IDOT but moreso ISTHA is the (directional) Suburbs controls that are in use, mostly for I-355 but appear on I-290, I-88, and IL 53 also. That isn't changing, either

But it needs to, because signage on freeways/expressways is supposed to be for motorists unfamiliar with the area. "Suburbs" is only useful for dead-end routes. Routes that connect to other routes should use destinations along the connecting routes, before resorting to generic "suburbs".
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

LilianaUwU

The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" method, I assume.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kalvado

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 16, 2023, 12:41:39 PM
The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" method, I assume.
Well, I hope changes to RYG color scheme are not really on the table anyway. Whatever is listed as proposed update to MUTCD seems pretty incremental in nature. Updated definition of "median" hopefully wouldn't affect medians too much!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: mgk920 on May 15, 2023, 11:50:16 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 15, 2023, 01:35:44 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 15, 2023, 12:49:28 PM
Quote from: CardInLex on May 15, 2023, 09:34:04 AM
According to the FHWA on the MUTCD website they have to adopt a new MUTCD by today (May 15, 2023) in order to comply with a provision of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. So far, it's crickets from FHWA. Do you all think today will be the day? What will happen if they fail to adopt a new version by the congressionally mandated date?

The USA will convert to the Geneva Convention?

Mike

Yes, whatever convention is used in Geneva, Illinois.

No, Lake Geneva, WI

:nod:

Mike

We do our Geneva Conventions on the Lake, here in Ohio.
(With covered bridges on the side)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

CardInLex

The MUTCD home page has been updated to state:

"On September 29, 2023, the Office of Management and Budget's Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs completed its review of the pending rulemaking for the next edition of the MUTCD. This review was the last major step of the regulatory process allowing FHWA to proceed to preparation of a Notice of Final Rule. The documents and supporting materials for a Final Rule will take just a bit more time to finalize, but we expect to publish this year."

So, it looks like the new MUTCD will be updated this year.

-- US 175 --

Is 14 years the longest the MUTCD has gone without a new manual/update?

J N Winkler

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on October 18, 2023, 04:46:23 PMIs 14 years the longest the MUTCD has gone without a new manual/update?

Yes, but not by a wide margin.  The MUTCD has had national editions dated 1935, 1942 (War Emergency, seven years), 1948 (six years), 1961 (13 years), 1971 (10 years), 1978 (8 seven years), 1988 (10 years), 2000 (12 years), 2003 (three years), and 2009 (six years).

There have been various attempts to shift the MUTCD to more frequent revisions, but none of them has quite gotten off the ground.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 18, 2023, 04:54:23 PM
There have been various attempts to shift the MUTCD to more frequent revisions, but none of them has quite gotten off the ground.

It does hardly seem worth the hassle, considering how few momentous changes happen during a revision these days.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on October 18, 2023, 04:46:23 PMIs 14 years the longest the MUTCD has gone without a new manual/update?

Yes, but not by a wide margin.  The MUTCD has had national editions dated 1935, 1942 (War Emergency, seven years), 1948 (six years), 1961 (13 years), 1971 (10 years), 1978 (8 years), 1988 (10 years), 2000 (12 years), 2003 (three years), and 2009 (six years).

Wasn't the 2003 revision done primarily to correct some issues present in the 2000 revision? Certainly the shortest time between two revisions.

Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2023, 05:18:55 PM

It does hardly seem worth the hassle, considering how few momentous changes happen during a revision these days.
Not to mention it ain't impossible to include revisions into an existing MUTCD, given how the 2009 MUTCD also has Revisions 1, 2, and 3.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Henry

So the gaps from largest to smallest would be:

1. 1948-61 (13 years)
2. 1988-2000 (12 years)
T3. 1961-71 (10 years)
T3. 1978-88 (10 years)
T5. 1935-42 (7 years)
T5. 1971-78 (7 years)
T7. 1942-48 (6 years)
T7. 2003-09 (6 years)
9. 2000-03 (3 years)

This current gap will push everything down one rank, whenever it will end. Various state supplements more than make up for it, as they put their own unique spin on the MUTCD.

(And to J N Winkler: 1971 to 1978 is 7 years, not 8!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2023, 05:18:55 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on October 18, 2023, 04:54:23 PMThere have been various attempts to shift the MUTCD to more frequent revisions, but none of them has quite gotten off the ground.

Some of the reasons cited have included more rapid dissemination of new technology (read:  less opportunity for vendors and agencies to go their own way, to the detriment of national uniformity) and streamlining rulemaking.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 18, 2023, 05:21:52 PMWasn't the 2003 revision done primarily to correct some issues present in the 2000 revision? Certainly the shortest time between two revisions.

There were certainly plenty of fixes.  The formatting was tightened up, the circular intersection sign was changed (from the circle with four stubs to the present three arrows in a circle), various instances of uppercase "M" used as the abbreviation for meters were corrected, etc.  The story I have heard is that the 2000 edition was originally supposed to look like the 2003 in terms of presentation (pattern-accurate sign illustrations, etc.), but that intention fell by the wayside in the rush to get it out at the turn of the millennium.

However, the 2003 MUTCD did have its own freestanding rulemaking process, just like the 2009 and (upcoming) 2023 editions.

Quote from: Henry on October 19, 2023, 10:41:20 PM(And to J N Winkler: 1971 to 1978 is 7 years, not 8!)

Ooops!  Fixed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

LilianaUwU

Reminder that Duke Nukem Forever took 14 years to come out. The new MUTCD is on track to beat that.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

CardInLex

formulanone

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 23, 2023, 11:57:25 PM
Reminder that Duke Nukem Forever took 14 years to come out. The new MUTCD is on track to beat that.
Quote from: CardInLex on December 18, 2023, 12:25:43 PM
The Federal Register has posted a notice! The new MUTCD will be released tomorrow (12/19/2023):

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2023-27178/national-standards-for-traffic-control-devices-the-manual-on-uniform-traffic-control-devices-for

In your face, La Sagrada Familia!

Quillz

Not even close to the record. GNU Herd has been in development since the 1960s and still hasn't been released.

Henry

I'll sure to check in tomorrow, because I can't wait to see the new stuff that they may be adding!

(BTW, I still have the 2009 PDF from which I'm making my signs)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: Quillz on December 18, 2023, 05:15:37 PM
Not even close to the record. GNU Herd has been in development since the 1960s and still hasn't been released.

To be far more charitable to the GNU project than they may deserve, part of that is no doubt due to the fact that the creation of Linux more or less supplied the "missing piece" in the GNU ecosystem that HURD was supposed to fill.

On the other hand, Linux came out in 1991, so GNU has had 30+ years since then to shit or get off the pot.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 19, 2023, 10:51:15 AM
The new MUTCD has finally been released!

Holy crap.  There goes everyone's holiday plans!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.