News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FL: FLDOT to Use Road Funding to Operate SunRail?

Started by DanTheMan414, April 13, 2010, 03:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTheMan414

In an article from Monday's Orlando Sentinel, Central Florida's $1.2B SunRail commuter train system is facing the potential of cost overruns, and to solve the problem, FLDOT is planning to dip into the local roads coughers, putting a number of future Orlando-area roads projects at risk if SunRail costs continue to swell.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-sunrail-cost-overruns-20100409,0,6742338.story

leifvanderwall

That depends on how many people actually use the Sunrail system. If there is quite a bit of usage on the rail system and it leads to less highway congestion in the city. I would be in favor for the dipping of the local roads coffers.

D-Dey65

I really don't like it when road funds are misued for other projects.

mightyace

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 13, 2010, 08:17:08 PM
I really don't like it when road funds are misused for other projects.

Agreed, that was part of my opposition to the dead-for-now, I-80 tolling project in PA.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with states using a higher percentage of their transportation dollars on non-highway transportation.  But, I want them to be honest about it.  Don't say it's for the roads then spend it on trains or vice-versa.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

D-Dey65

Quote from: mightyace on April 13, 2010, 08:34:58 PM
Anyway, I don't have a problem with states using a higher percentage of their transportation dollars on non-highway transportation.  But, I want them to be honest about it.  Don't say it's for the roads then spend it on trains or vice-versa.
True. If they're going to use the money for roads, the should stick to that plan. The only connection that this has to the roads is that it's also tied to the high-speed rail project, which is intended to run along the median of I-4. The trouble with that project is that there are so many people requesting stops in between that it's not going to be as high-speed as they're promising. You'd be better off driving a car. And if you want to travel between Tampa and Orlando by rail you've always got Amtrak right there to the south of I-4.

And I have to remind people here, I'm not against the SunRail project. I actually think it can be successful. They might have to struggle to get it going in DeLand, but I think it could work out there eventually. That doesn't change the fact that using road funding is a rotten idea. With that kind of money, they could use it to complete the Orlando Loop, or upgrade US 27, or turn more of US 19 into an expressway between Clearwater and Weeki Wachee, or complete the Suncoast Parkway, or turn US 301 into an expressway between Ocala and Fernandina Beach.

sammack

No matter what you may think, US 19 will stay exactly the way it is now for many, many, many years to come.

The cost of turning it into an expwy thru Palm Harbor is multiple billions for row alone.

You may rest assured Tarpon Spgs will NEVER allow an interchange in their community.

And between Tarpon and Hudson, as I said about Palm Harbor, the cost of row is multiple billions

leifvanderwall

Quote from: sammack on April 14, 2010, 01:24:43 AM
No matter what you may think, US 19 will stay exactly the way it is now for many, many, many years to come.

The cost of turning it into an expwy thru Palm Harbor is multiple billions for row alone.

You may rest assured Tarpon Spgs will NEVER allow an interchange in their community.

And between Tarpon and Hudson, as I said about Palm Harbor, the cost of row is multiple billions
Isn't that why Florida built the SR 589 Tollway to take the congestion off of US 19?

D-Dey65

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 14, 2010, 01:34:02 PMIsn't that why Florida built the SR 589 Tollway to take the congestion off of US 19?
Suncoast Parkway is several miles east of US 19. It's actually closer to US 41 than it is to 19. The ultimate goal of Florida's Turnpike Enterprise(yes, that's the official name) is to expand it to US 19-98 in Red Level. Only then can it have any impact on US 19.  Even if they were to complete it(which they should), limiting access along US 19 south of Florida SR 50 would still be a necessity. Unfortunatley, rampant development along the road had blocked such improvements the same way they've blocked improvements along NY 454 and NY 347.

florida

If they built it, I would use it. But what would probably serve better in Orlando is the above-ground-level train system that's in place in Miami. The SunRail would be better suited to serve longer distances.
So many roads...so little time.

Chris

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 13, 2010, 04:41:30 PM
That depends on how many people actually use the Sunrail system. If there is quite a bit of usage on the rail system and it leads to less highway congestion in the city. I would be in favor for the dipping of the local roads coffers.

Nope. New (light)rail systems cater existing bus travelers in the first place. It'll maybe take 20,000 cars off the road, which is nothing in such a large urban area like Orlando. The reduced traffic volumes are quickly taken over by traffic from urban growth (which is quite big in Florida). Central Florida is not New York City or Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.