News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Northern, eastern, southern, and westernmost points on a state's highway system

Started by thspfc, September 04, 2020, 10:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

Quote from: Jim on September 07, 2020, 08:20:44 AM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on September 06, 2020, 10:38:44 PM
Louisiana:

North: the internet says the northwest-most section is slightly further north despite the northern border of the state being on a parallel. If that's the case, I-49 at the AR state line is the closest highway to the coordinates given.

South: south terminus of LA 3090 in Port Fourchon

West: LA 82 over the Sabine River at the TX border

East: LA 23 before it heads southwest near its terminus in Venice

TM's data agrees with your north, south, and east, but disagrees on the west.

My eyeball was way off on that one. So it's LA 170 at the TX line. At least until that road is given back to local authorities. I could see it being another candidate.

iPhone

rte66man

Eyeballing it and assuming the surveys are correct (fat chance) for Oklahoma:

Western - tie between US412 and OK325
Northern - too many to mention
Eastern - OK87 just north of the Red River
Southern - same road as Eastern. Where OK87 turns east, it is a couple of miles south of where US259 crosses the Red River.

Do any other states have one highway that clinches more than one cardinal point?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

jt4

Quote from: tigerwings on September 05, 2020, 11:13:03 AM
Ohio
Northern -  Where Ohio 7 and Ohio 531 end at each other in Conneaut.
East -  Several along the PA border.
South - US 52 West of Burlington
West - Several along IN border.

Running METAL:

East - OH 39
West - US 50
South - US 52 across the bridge into West Virginia is the southernmost point in the set, but the curve west of that bridge is in fact the southernmost point in the system.

US 89

Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 11:34:02 AM
Do any other states have one highway that clinches more than one cardinal point?

As mentioned above, Arkansas has AR 43.

CoreySamson

A rough Texas guess:

South: FM 1419 in east Brownsville
East: TX 63 at LA border
West: TX 178 at NM border
North: Eyeballing it here, but it looks like US 287 near Kerrick, due to a survey error.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2020, 12:03:25 AM
The northern most highway in Michigan is M-26, slightly further north of US-41 between the Brockway Mountain Drive ends.

The southern most highway in Michigan is M-49, slightly south of every state maintained highway east of it.

The eastern most highway in Michigan is a tie with I-69 and I-94 at the Bluewater Bridge.

The western most highway in Michigan is US-2.

I hadn't realized until your post that the MI/OH border isn't due east-west.  I thought it was judicially determined to be at a specific longitude.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on September 06, 2020, 11:01:03 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 04, 2020, 10:39:02 PM
I appreciate you making it easy for me to figure out Illinois' northern most.

The northern most would be IL-137 (Sheridan Road) which becomes WI-32 going into Wisconsin.
The eastern most could possibly be IL-33 or US-50 down by Vincennes, Indiana.
The southern most would have to be US-62 south of Cairo.
The western most looks like it is US-24 through Quincy.

Due to the errors in the state line, it's IL-35 over in East Dubuque for the northernmost point.

You're right. I absolutely didn't do that right.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

GaryV

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on September 08, 2020, 02:04:09 PM
The northern most highway in Michigan is M-26, slightly further north of US-41 between the Brockway Mountain Drive ends.

The southern most highway in Michigan is M-49, slightly south of every state maintained highway east of it.

The eastern most highway in Michigan is a tie with I-69 and I-94 at the Bluewater Bridge.

I hadn't realized until your post that the MI/OH border isn't due east-west.  I thought it was judicially determined to be at a specific longitude.

The boundary isn't due east-west because of several considerations made to OH and IN in exchange for MI being admitted to the Union.

Originally the southern border of MI was defined as being due east from the southernmost point of Lake Michigan.  However at the time this definition was created, it was mistakenly believed that the entirety of Lake Michigan was north of the latitude of Lake Erie, and so OH would have all or most of the Lake Erie shoreline.  The border was later changed to be on an angle, from the southern point of Lake Michigan to the the Maumee Bay.  This gave the so-called "Toledo Strip" to OH (albeit after several more years of debate and eventual saber rattling between the two militias).  IN not having a port under this definition, the northern boundary of IN was redefined to be an e-w line 10 miles north of the southern point of Lake Michigan.  This resulted in the step between the IN and OH northern borders.

Flint1979

If you were to draw a line from the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana tripoint to where the border turns in Lake Erie most of that line would be running slightly in Michigan and not on the line or in Ohio. It's about 72 miles across and at about the halfway point it's even more into Michigan like around where US-127 is and Morenci. It's weird but if you were to look at it with a glance you'd probably think that it's a straight line.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on September 08, 2020, 04:28:10 PM

The boundary isn't due east-west because of several considerations made to OH and IN in exchange for MI being admitted to the Union.

Originally the southern border of MI was defined as being due east from the southernmost point of Lake Michigan.  However at the time this definition was created, it was mistakenly believed that the entirety of Lake Michigan was north of the latitude of Lake Erie, and so OH would have all or most of the Lake Erie shoreline.  The border was later changed to be on an angle, from the southern point of Lake Michigan to the the Maumee Bay.  This gave the so-called "Toledo Strip" to OH (albeit after several more years of debate and eventual saber rattling between the two militias).  IN not having a port under this definition, the northern boundary of IN was redefined to be an e-w line 10 miles north of the southern point of Lake Michigan.  This resulted in the step between the IN and OH northern borders.
That kind of line would have given Michigan both South Bend and Toledo.

Bickendan

And now, for something completely different: West Bengal
West: WB 4A, just east of Muri, Jharkhand
South: NH 116B/WB 4, west of Digha and just east of the border with Odisha
East: NH 27, on the east shore of the Sankosh River, to the west of Srirampur, Assam
North: Three possibilities -
NH 10, crossing the Rangpo River to Rangpo, Sikkim
NH 717A, near Rhenock, Sikkim
NH 717B, as it crosses back and forth between Sikkim and West Bengal ala US 212 between Wyoming and Montana.
Eyeballing it leans it toward NH 10.

None of the AH routes qualify.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.