News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 15, 2022, 12:55:27 PM
Emojis are just dumb to begin with. Other than a simple thumbs-up to affirm something, what can you communicate with emojis that you can't easily communicate with words?
Heh.  Surely you see how one-sided your last statement is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on December 15, 2022, 12:59:07 PM
Emojis are just dumb to begin with. Other than a simple thumbs-up to affirm something, what can you communicate with emojis that you can't easily communicate with words?
Heh.  Surely you see how one-sided your last statement is.

:popcorn:

webny99

A rather ironic but serious answer: level of seriousness.

Scott5114

Among others, 💯 has a meaning that I understand from context but find hard to articulate in actual words.

They're essentially hieroglyphs. I don't really think they're more or less dumb than communicating with actual words, but when communicating with someone who uses them frequently I just feel like I was dropped into a conversation with the President of Argentina with no interpreter.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

7/8

From the thread "Fun license plate slogans":

Quote from: Big John on December 12, 2022, 05:15:52 PM
Wisconsin - Come Smell our Dairy Air

I think the occasional emoji helps with showing your intention (i.e. being sarcastic, actually annoyed, etc.).

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 15, 2022, 12:40:41 PM
Quote from: Takumi on December 15, 2022, 12:13:22 PM
I think the seemingly increasing amount of people misusing "your"  and "you're"  is because they're both abbreviated "ur"  in text speak.

I think that's more because they're dumb, myself.

I've seen errors of the "your/you're," "their/they're/there," and "to/too/two" type thing for years. Somewhere online, but I can't seem to find it right now, there's a picture of a teacher in front of a blackboard with examples of the correct usages for those sorts of words: "YOU'RE a dumbass. YOUR ass is dumb." Etc.

What annoys me more is when a younger colleague tries to tell my boss and me (I'm essentially second-in-charge) how we should write messages. A former colleague, who was around 30 years old when she said this, didn't like it that we end messages with periods–she says her generation regards that as passive-aggressive or some such nonsense. My reaction was, more or less, "Too bad."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Emojis are great for adding additional context to a message. Whether it's a text message or a forum, they are incredibly useful for this purpose. And as many of you know, I'm sure, I do enjoy me a good emote on here.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 15, 2022, 01:50:50 PMAmong others, 💯 has a meaning that I understand from context but find hard to articulate in actual words.

That particular emoji is among my least favorite.  I've distinguished several shades of meaning, ranging from "This is true" (or even "This is the way" in Reddit-speak) to "keep it civilized."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 15, 2022, 03:13:27 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 15, 2022, 01:50:50 PMAmong others, 💯 has a meaning that I understand from context but find hard to articulate in actual words.

That particular emoji is among my least favorite.  I've distinguished several shades of meaning, ranging from "This is true" (or even "This is the way" in Reddit-speak) to "keep it civilized."

It also has a meaning somewhere along the lines of "real, authentic, not concealing one's true feelings/true self".

Takumi

I think the seemingly increasing amount of people misusing "your"  and "you're"  is because they're both abbreviated "ur"  in text speak.

Hey, that's my (future) wife you're talking about!  Although in her case, it's more understandable since English is her second language. (Also, in her first language, "u"  is actually one of the words for "you" , though it's the formal form and "jy"  is more commonly used.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: Takumi on December 15, 2022, 03:54:51 PM

Hey, that's my (future) wife you're talking about!  Although in her case, it's more understandable since English is her second language. (Also, in her first language, "u"  is actually one of the words for "you" , though it's the formal form and "jy"  is more commonly used.)

I can definitely see how that would trip up those for whom English is not their first language.

At least with your/you're, if the rules of apostrophe use are known, one can come to the correct answer through deduction. This is unlike other common homophones, like to/too, which are entirely arbitrary. (I've been jokingly pronouncing the "w" in "two" lately.)

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 15, 2022, 04:11:27 PM
Quote from: Takumi on December 15, 2022, 03:54:51 PM

I can definitely see how that would trip up those for whom English is not their first language.

At least with your/you're, if the rules of apostrophe use are known, one can come to the correct answer through deduction. This is unlike other common homophones, like to/too, which are entirely arbitrary. (I've been jokingly pronouncing the "w" in "two" lately.)

For the very common confusion between its and it's, one can also come to the correct answer through deduction:

its = possessive pronoun and like all possessive pronounds (hers, his, theirs, ours...) does not contain an apostrophe

it's = contraction for "it is", with the I in "is" omitted, and the apostrophe indicates the omitted letter, just as it indicates an omitted letter in you're, there's, etc.

kkt

QuoteI like chicken strips very greatly, but I'm not calling for them to be added to the zip code system.

- Scott5114

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 15, 2022, 02:05:13 PM

I've seen errors of the "your/you're," "their/they're/there," and "to/too/two" type thing for years. Somewhere online, but I can't seem to find it right now, there's a picture of a teacher in front of a blackboard with examples of the correct usages for those sorts of words: "YOU'RE a dumbass. YOUR ass is dumb." Etc.

What annoys me more is when a younger colleague tries to tell my boss and me (I'm essentially second-in-charge) how we should write messages. A former colleague, who was around 30 years old when she said this, didn't like it that we end messages with periods–she says her generation regards that as passive-aggressive or some such nonsense. My reaction was, more or less, "Too bad."

That is someone who is looking to be triggered without waiting for an actual reason to be offended. (<--- I use periods for complete sentences too, even if it's just one sentence.)

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 15, 2022, 02:05:13 PMWhat annoys me more is when a younger colleague tries to tell my boss and me (I'm essentially second-in-charge) how we should write messages. A former colleague, who was around 30 years old when she said this, didn't like it that we end messages with periods–she says her generation regards that as passive-aggressive or some such nonsense. My reaction was, more or less, "Too bad."

I use periods, commas, and even subordinate clauses in text messages, but there's definitely a generational break in this regard--unpunctuated lolspeak and simple sentence structure are much more the norm among people in their twenties and even people in their mid-thirties who are being fashion-forward.

These colleagues (as described) remind me of a trope I often see in capsule biographies in house publications such as the monthly newsletter of the local bar association:  "She liked to argue, so her parents knew she was going to be a lawyer."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

thspfc

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 15, 2022, 10:57:49 PM
I don't text while driving.  I only type posts on this forum while driving.

Quote from: In_Correct on December 16, 2022, 06:07:51 PM
I Agree. News Feed & Weed Must Be Stopped. I Must Stop Them.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on December 16, 2022, 06:20:44 PM

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 15, 2022, 10:57:49 PM
I don't text while driving.  I only type posts on this forum while driving.

For the record, I actually invented that quote.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Max Rockatansky

thspfc

Max Rockatansky

Scott5114

Quote from: skluth on December 16, 2022, 11:23:33 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 15, 2022, 02:05:13 PM

That is someone who is looking to be triggered without waiting for an actual reason to be offended. (<--- I use periods for complete sentences too, even if it's just one sentence.)

Not necessarily. It has to do with your normal means of textual communication. Arriving at the belief of "using a period is passive aggressive" is actually the logical end point of a number of experiences:

1. Unlike a question or exclamation mark, a period has no semantic meaning, it merely indicates the end of a sentence without imparting any additional information. In a chat context like text messages, or especially something like Discord, the "send" button and resulting break between messages serves as a separator already, so the period is redundant. (Note that on these platforms, Discord especially, it's rather common to send multiple consecutive messages as separate thoughts, rather than to send one long multiple-sentence message. This is partly because the "so and so is typing..." message some platforms display can make people anxious/overly curious: "why is Scott typing a novel over here?")
2. In most of these contexts, users place more of a premium on fast transmission of messages rather than grammatical correctness. Therefore, slower typers eschew things like end marks and capitalization to transmit messages faster, while faster typers leave them off out of a desire to not stick out (nobody wants to be a square). If the user base doesn't have real keyboards, adding punctuation can be awkward, so there is additional pressure to drop it.
3. Lack of punctuation and capitalization seems "normal". Actually taking the time to capitalize and punctuate starts to seem overly formal. (If you go to a friend's barbecue, it would be very odd to see him wearing one of the suits he wears to work–you are here to hang out with your buddy, but he's dressed formally. Maybe you're not on as good terms with him as you thought?)
4. If someone actually does send you a properly formatted message, you may find yourself wondering why they chose such a level of formality–perhaps they are merely a square, but maybe they are trying to call attention to the message as being particularly important for some reason. Maybe they're upset with you. Or maybe they want you to think they're upset with you, that you are not on as good of terms with them as you thought you were. So it comes off as passive-aggressive.

In some contexts, periods can also get recontextualized from being a meaningless end mark to denoting a short, snippy tone. "yeah. that's fine. i don't care." (mentally read in the tone of voice you'd expect a significant other to use if you just told them you'd rather watch a football game alone in the basement than go to dinner with them on your anniversary)

formulanone

Geez, I use a period because that's how you know I'm done with that sentence, statement or idea, and leave it off if I have more to say. I leave it off in informal conversation (with friends and family) or simple 1-3 word sentences.

Call it anything more than that is just unleashing an irrational fear. But also a generational thing, from a time when some formality is tacitly understood to reduce ambiguity. I can only imagine how disgusted someone might think of me for using ending ellipses...

Then again, I don't use Discord. The logo looks like Mickey Mouse's pants.

1995hoo

Heh. I'm second in charge and I'm pushing 50. My boss is in his early 60s. We're both set in our ways and we aren't going to–and don't have to–change just because someone born during the Clinton Administration doesn't understand basic punctuation.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.