News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2022 meet ideas

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 06, 2021, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 03, 2022, 10:42:52 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 03, 2022, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 03, 2022, 08:35:43 PM
The Cumberland meet is not happening this year. Look for it next year.

I've crossed it off from the list.  The only other meet I'm still wondering about is Shawangunk.  Haven't heard anything about it recently, so I assume it's not happening.  Does anyone know for sure?

I'd say Shawangunk isn't happening. David Gulub mentioned it once, last fall (or winter), and has never brought it back up.

Not this year, given how far into the year it is at this point.  I'm still interested in doing it, but it wouldn't be until at least 2023 at this point.

bandit957

It would be cool if people could just fly like Superman so they could go to any meet.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: dgolub on September 05, 2022, 08:10:04 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 03, 2022, 10:42:52 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 03, 2022, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 03, 2022, 08:35:43 PM
The Cumberland meet is not happening this year. Look for it next year.

I've crossed it off from the list.  The only other meet I'm still wondering about is Shawangunk.  Haven't heard anything about it recently, so I assume it's not happening.  Does anyone know for sure?

I'd say Shawangunk isn't happening. David Gulub mentioned it once, last fall (or winter), and has never brought it back up.

Not this year, given how far into the year it is at this point.  I'm still interested in doing it, but it wouldn't be until at least 2023 at this point.

Thanks for the update!  I crossed off Shawangunk from the 2022 list.
-A.J. from Michigan

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on September 05, 2022, 08:11:38 PM
It would be cool if people could just fly like Superman so they could go to any meet.

It would take a while to get there. Flying (in this context) is slower than driving, since you would be moving under your own power and you're not in a vehicle.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

signalman

It's probably safe to start a 2023 thread now that we're past Labor Day. A couple proposals have already been thrown out for late spring. I also heard about something else but I'll let that person announce it when they're ready.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: signalman on September 06, 2022, 05:17:42 AM
It's probably safe to start a 2023 thread now that we're past Labor Day. A couple proposals have already been thrown out for late spring. I also heard about something else but I'll let that person announce it when they're ready.

Right now I'm only aware of three meets that have been proposed/announced for 2023 which isn't enough, in my opinion, to start a separate thread yet.  Once a few more have been announced, I may do that... but I also should remind folks that I don't have a monopoly on creating such a list.  Just because I created/maintained this list for the last few years doesn't mean I have to do it again for 2023... but I gladly will if enough meets have been proposed/announced and no one else has started a list yet.
-A.J. from Michigan

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 05, 2022, 08:41:10 PM

It would take a while to get there. Flying (in this context) is slower than driving, since you would be moving under your own power and you're not in a vehicle.

Last I heard, Superman could fly faster than a speeding bullet.  Context indeed...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2022, 06:55:53 AM

Last I heard, Superman could fly faster than a speeding bullet.  Context indeed...

My reference point was Minecraft, where flying (in Creative Mode) is faster than walking or running, but nowhere near 15 times faster (the ratio between 60 mph [driving] and 4 mph [walking]). Other games that allow flying without a vehicle, typically in debug-type modes or noclip mode, are similar.

Without the other powers that Superman has, flying faster than a speeding bullet would be really dangerous. First, limits to acceleration. If you accelerate or decelerate too fast, your body can't handle it. Also, hitting something would be fatal, and since you're going that fast, you could easily miss seeing an object. There's also the issue of wind – if you're going 500 mph, you're going to feel a 500 mph wind.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 06, 2022, 07:13:14 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2022, 06:55:53 AM

My reference point was Minecraft, where flying (in Creative Mode) is faster than walking or running, but nowhere near 15 times faster (the ratio between 60 mph [driving] and 4 mph [walking]). Other games that allow flying without a vehicle, typically in debug-type modes or noclip mode, are similar.

Without the other powers that Superman has, flying faster than a speeding bullet would be really dangerous. First, limits to acceleration. If you accelerate or decelerate too fast, your body can't handle it. Also, hitting something would be fatal, and since you're going that fast, you could easily miss seeing an object. There's also the issue of wind – if you're going 500 mph, you're going to feel a 500 mph wind.
What did Minecraft have to do with Superman?

Superman flies around without any issues, so if I fly like him, I won't have issues, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

^ Yeah, that's an odd leap... I'd sooner make the leap to Glory Girl/Antares from Worm/Ward; given that she can fly at 80-100 mph, she could get somewhere faster by flying than driving.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

Sorry for my late reply - Alps is correct - I now have to work the weekend of Oct 8-9 so I will host Cumberland, MD next year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.